Foreign Players Taking Up A New Nationality

Hi Guys,

Was reading the Daily Record today online and I notcied that Nacho Novo has said he would be willing to play for Scotland if the SFA were to ask him. He regards Scotland as home now after being here for 8 years apparently. Personally I am not a massive fan of this, the article then went on to mention that Fabio Capello is apparently looking at Almunia of Arsenal and Arteta of Everton for England.

You don't see this in FM much, should it be easier to convince players to play for another country in FM if they have not been capped at full level?

Thanks

these things usually are for the media they happen so rare and then trouble arouses

like there was a romanian born player called Miriuta, who never featured in he's home country's side, but at the age of 30 he gained hungarian nationality and decided he will play for the hungarian national side (he was playing for cottbus at the time being )

he played arround 10 games (or so i can't recall the exact number) the interesting thing was the nation who was never interested in him and let me tell you he wouldn't had a chance in the romanian national side at that time, thought of him as a traitor of he's country

the worst part is he had to move he's mother from romania to hungary because some nationalist threatened her

well i think this explains why it doesn't happen so often

Only really happens in exceptional cases, and doubt very much it will happen for the two spaniards in question, maybe in other countries where the boundaries and feelings are not those like us english, who prefer to stick with proper english players.

Only major one i can think of is Deco, and he even had the cheek to make his debut against his country of birth Brazil, and score the winning goal

There's lots of examples there: Senna and Pernia for Spain, Eduardo for Croatia, Mehmet Aurelio for Turkey Mauro Camoranesi for Italy, Higuain for France etc.

yes but they had obvious reasons like they lived in that country many years or they simply couldn't fit in their original nationality's side

but in the game they don't really realize this, and if there would be a code for such thing many players would chose other countries to play for rather then their own just because they weren't selected a few times (in my opinion)

back to the original , you can lure players to take up nationality other then their own and play for the country like in fm 06 i took Ze Roberto (currently Bayern ) and called him up for italy and went to won the world cup him being my best player scoring twice in the final against .... wait for it (drums ...)....Brazil of course, now how cool is that :D:D

(isn't higuain argentinian???)

yes but they had obvious reasons like they lived in that country many years or they simply couldn't fit in their original nationality's side

I diagree. I feel that Players should only be allowed to play for countries if the have a family connection, i.e. Dad was say Welsh and mother was a Scot (plus grandparents) - then they should be the only countries they can represent.

Far too much consideration given to workaround solutions to get a particular player to play for other countries. Where the player resides and for how long should be immaterial. If a foreign player is given say, a English nationality, then only his son would be eligable.

I diagree. I feel that Players should only be allowed to play for countries if the have a family connection, i.e. Dad was say Welsh and mother was a Scot (plus grandparents) - then they should be the only countries they can represent.

Far too much consideration given to workaround solutions to get a particular player to play for other countries. Where the player resides and for how long should be immaterial. If a foreign player is given say, a English nationality, then only his son would be eligable.

in some cases it works this way players choose nationalities after their mother father or grandparents

Wasn't Patrick Viera from Senegal but grew up in France thus making him eligeble for the French national side.

John Sheriden (formaly R of I international) was born in Manchester.

Clinton Morrison (current Rof I iternational) is from London.

My personal opinion with regards to the two Spanish players playing for England, is that if they WANT to, let them. They will only get in the side if they are good enough and it will only benifit the national side in the long run (in terms of success). I don't think it will happen though as there was enough controversy after the first time we employed a foreign manager, imagine the uproar if Arteta put on the England number 7 shirt?

I can't remember the names of all the players but

there are tons of other Brazilian born players that play for other Nation teams

A few include:-

Portugal

Spain

Poland

Croatia

Japan

Turkey

Germany have 2 Polish born players

Turkey have 2 German born players

France had a number of forgieners in there 1998 world cup winning side

Kompany and the Mpenza brothers are from Congo and Felliani is from Morocco all play for Belgium

Bosingwa is from Congo and plays for Portugal

Freddy Adu born in Ghana plays for USA

Jonathan de Guzman is a Canadian-born playing for the Dutch youth-sides and in a few years probably playing for the NT.

Next to him there are some players of Moroccan descent playing for Holland (Boulahrouz, Afellay, Aissati).

Kazim-Richards was born in east london and lived here his whole life but because his mum is half turkish he was eligible to play for turkey

Richards can hardly speak Turkish and still made to National team. I recently read that, He is an Arsenal fan and because of that his coach did not let him play against Arsenal in CL 3 days ago. His team Fenerbahce still got served with 5-2 anyways.

I can't remember the names of all the players but

there are tons of other Brazilian born players that play for other Nation teams

A few include:-

Portugal

Spain

Poland

Croatia

Japan

Turkey

Germany have 2 Polish born players

Turkey have 2 German born players

France had a number of forgieners in there 1998 world cup winning side

Kompany and the Mpenza brothers are from Congo and Felliani is from Morocco all play for Belgium

Bosingwa is from Congo and plays for Portugal

Freddy Adu born in Ghana plays for USA

Croatia has more players born outside of croatia than those that are born in croatia. But they all (except eduardo) had croatian parents or croatian 2nd nationality.

Owen Hargreaves! :mad:

Turned his back on Canada!!! I personally hate him...

de Guzman on the Dutch team. Too bad he won't join his brother on the Canadian national team...

Honesty, with the Canadian Soccer Association in turmoil, I don't blame de Guzman...

Richards can hardly speak Turkish and still made to National team. I recently read that, He is an Arsenal fan and because of that his coach did not let him play against Arsenal in CL 3 days ago. His team Fenerbahce still got served with 5-2 anyways.

He is only eligible for Turkey, because his mum half Turkish Cypriot, nothing actually to do with mainland Turkey. I think they are considered citizens of turkey rather than cyprus?

It is possible in FM to get those with citizenship to change to a nationality. It may be because I swapped American Samoa with Hong Kong, but some DRL/DM gained Samoan citizenship and I picked him cos I needed a DM. Anyway, Hargreaves has English/Welsh parents and was born in Canada. He played for Wales U21 and when he chose England he was about a year away from German citizenship.

ive had it a few times, most recently in the game im playing in hong kong.. but more annoyingly, its players that were born in hong kong, taking on English nationality!! ive had players at my club where my league classes as "foreign" for almost 10 years, and they havent taken this choice....

Lol, thats funny. On FM08 it says he was born in New York yet on Wikipedia it says he was born in New Jersey, which one is correct? :S lol.

Guess the researchers need to do more research :p

Even Rossi says on his website that he's born in Teanack, New Jersey.:)

• 5 weeks later...

There's a lot of people who are posting players without reading the thread. The thread is talking about players gaining citizenship by being in a foreign country for a number of years - NOT players born in one country who choose to play for their parent's country instead.

Archived