FM Transfer Deadline not good enough

Now i was hooked on sky sports news last night watching events unfold and reflected on my FM game where i have just past the deadline day. Ok the time goes slower but still i feel there is not enough time.

On this game i made 3 Midday signings,and put offers in for 2 more players at 1.30pm. There was no match on that day and at 4.00pm i get a reply saying they want more money so 2 increased offers come in. I click continue and then wait... and wait... and wait until i get a message saying i can offer one of these players a contract - the promplem is this is at 11.45pm! Next click of continue and both deals cancelled as window has past.

Surely if you are intrested in a player then you should be able to keep the transfer going. For example. 10pm offer bid, 10.30pm offer rejected, 10.45pm offer bid, 11pm offer accepted and contract offered, 11.15pm done deal.

But in real life, clubs can sign people after the window in special cases, and also up until about 2am I reckon FA will let the signings go through. I reckon the Berbatov deal was done about 12:45 but it still went through as long as it looks like you would of signed it within an hour or two after the window closes I think they let it go through.

Maybe FM could do something like this but I think it will be hard as how do you define a special case etc.

But in real life, clubs can sign people after the window in special cases, and also up until about 2am I reckon FA will let the signings go through. I reckon the Berbatov deal was done about 12:45 but it still went through as long as it looks like you would of signed it within an hour or two after the window closes I think they let it go through.

Maybe FM could do something like this but I think it will be hard as how do you define a special case etc.

The deal has to be done before midnight. Some of them are announced afterwards, but they were done before the deadline.

I agree it should be in real time, at least on the deadline day. You can pause it and make your moves, then continue again and watch the clock tick on slowly. AI moves should be sped up and more frantic, as well as responding to your offers more quickly.

Sky Sports News announced it was done just before 11:30.

I agree it should be in real time, at least on the deadline day. You can pause it and make your moves, then continue again and watch the clock tick on slowly. AI moves should be sped up and more frantic, as well as responding to your offers more quickly.

So basically not real time at all - just real time speeded up or paused or slowed down...

If you check every deadline day for the past 12 or so years, notice that about 15% of the deals are done on the last day. I saw a report that in England alone £104m was spent yesterday on different transfers. This isn't really reflected very well on FM.

Would be a funny option, but I think SI won't put too much time in something like that. They might make a more faster signing possible in these situations.. then, on the other hand, all those last minute signings are actually only concluded last minute.. contact and offers have been around for days, just behind the scenes.

Would be a funny option, but I think SI won't put too much time in something like that. They might make a more faster signing possible in these situations.. then, on the other hand, all those last minute signings are actually only concluded last minute.. contact and offers have been around for days, just behind the scenes.

So you're suggesting Man City had been planning to sign Robinho for 'days, just behind the scenes.'

Definitely not.

I was thinking just the same thing, I'm currently playing as Celtic, and on deadline day around 2200 I put in an £11 million bid for Sychev, at 2315 I offered him a contract, and at 0000 I was told he had accepted but that the trasfer had been cancelled.

I think that deadline day should stop every hour till 2100, then every half hour till 2330, then every 5 minutes so those real last minute deals can go through.

What we need is the ability to have "real time negotiations".

Asking for them at any time other than the end of a window would probably not work (the way setting deadlines tend not to), but on a deadline it'd allow the bid-counter process to happen without in game time passing, both for the transfer and the contract. This way we wouldn't only have X time periods to get a bid accepted in.

I’ve mentioned this before, but my main gripe with the transfer deadline is that the game doesn’t take it into account any differently than if it were a normal day in the transfer window.

I’ll try to give a few examples of the kind of things I would expect to be different on deadline day:

If a club really wants to sign a player, then the selling club should be in a position of power on deadline day and be able to ask for more money if they know the buyer is desperate. Take Berbatov and Robinho as examples. Both wanted by Man Utd and Man City and would most likely have moved for less at any other time, but because It was deadline day they were forced to pay up or lose out and chose the former. I’d like this to be replicated, because at the moment a player’s price on deadline day is likely to be exactly the same as a week beforehand.

Similarly, if a club is really trying to offload a player they’re more likely to accept a lower offer if it means getting rid of him. A £2m bid for a transfer listed £5m rated striker might be rejected outright prior to deadline day, but when faced with the choice of accepting a lower fee of keeping him at the club for the next few months, a club might be more willing to let him go for less.

The same applies to contract negotiations. If a player knows the buying club is desperate to sign him then he’s more likely to ask for bigger wages, bonuses, signing on fee etc. because he knows they have to sort it quickly, while at the same time a player desperate to get away is likely to lower his demands because he knows that if he doesn’t he’s stuck at a club he doesn’t want to play for. However, at the minute a player will ask for the same deal at any point during the transfer window, which is a bit unrealistic.

Sure I had some more examples but can’t think of them now so will post later if they come to me.

I think this is one of those rare aspects of the game where SI can learn from Fifa Manager. In Fifa Manager there's a transfer deadline day with (I think) updates every hour of who bid for what player in the league with a big clock ticking away in a dramatic fashion and all. Though I've never seen it myself (I'm not touching Fifa Manager as the rest of the game is drab), it sounded brilliant in the previews. Irrespective of whether it's actually decent in Fifa Manager, SI could do something similar (and a hundred times better of course). I want to get all nervous and excited on the last transfer day!

I’ve mentioned this before, but my main gripe with the transfer deadline is that the game doesn’t take it into account any differently than if it were a normal day in the transfer window.

I’ll try to give a few examples of the kind of things I would expect to be different on deadline day:

If a club really wants to sign a player, then the selling club should be in a position of power on deadline day and be able to ask for more money if they know the buyer is desperate. Take Berbatov and Robinho as examples. Both wanted by Man Utd and Man City and would most likely have moved for less at any other time, but because It was deadline day they were forced to pay up or lose out and chose the former. I’d like this to be replicated, because at the moment a player’s price on deadline day is likely to be exactly the same as a week beforehand.

Similarly, if a club is really trying to offload a player they’re more likely to accept a lower offer if it means getting rid of him. A £2m bid for a transfer listed £5m rated striker might be rejected outright prior to deadline day, but when faced with the choice of accepting a lower fee of keeping him at the club for the next few months, a club might be more willing to let him go for less.

The same applies to contract negotiations. If a player knows the buying club is desperate to sign him then he’s more likely to ask for bigger wages, bonuses, signing on fee etc. because he knows they have to sort it quickly, while at the same time a player desperate to get away is likely to lower his demands because he knows that if he doesn’t he’s stuck at a club he doesn’t want to play for. However, at the minute a player will ask for the same deal at any point during the transfer window, which is a bit unrealistic.

Sure I had some more examples but can’t think of them now so will post later if they come to me.

Just to say, I think this is spot on.

At the moment, transfer fees fluctuate on FM from season to season. For example, I signed Micah Richards for £36Million in 2010, having had demands of £72million, £68million and even £80million+. Not sure what caused the change of price but I was grateful. Probably flushed their cash away.

Still, fees DO need to change.

Another thing I’d like to see if better evaluation of players by AI clubs on deadline day.

As a human manager you receive a bid on deadline day and consider depending on how much is being offered, how important the player is to your side and whether or not you have a chance of replacing him if needed.

However, on FM there’s no such evaluation and if a player is valued at £10m then you can bid £10m for him on deadline day and they’ll accept the bid regardless of whether to not they’ll be able to get a replacement in. It doesn’t matter if you’re signing their only senior keeper and they’ll be left with a youngster in goal, if you match the price they’ll accept, even if it completely screws their team other.

Also, I’d like to see them move to alternative targets if they can’t get their first choice but ‘need’ someone. For example, in my game I’d signed Hugo Lloris and due to Van Der Sar retiring, Man Utd wanted him, but I wasn’t prepared to sell. Rather than move on to an alternative, they kept asking and asking but getting the same reply until deadline day when they asked, I refused and they didn’t do anything and were left with a nobody in goal for the rest of the season, when players like Akinfeev and Gomes were available at other clubs, but they wouldn’t go for anyone other than my player. In an ideal world they would have tried to rush through a deal for another keeper on deadline day, or at least try to loan someone, but it wasn’t the case.

Sky Sports News announced it was done just before 11:30.

They also announced Keegan had been sacked and rolled it along the bottom of the screen for hours before their 'source' became a plank as NUFC announced he wasn't going anywhere. How i laughed at SSN, and the geordie gimps who were at the ground calling for the board to be sacked (errr that would mean sacking themselves), only to look ridiculous when it was revealed Keegan wasn't going anywhere, the numbers soon decreased as the skulked off home all red-faced. :D

Must admit it would be good to see a bit more drama on deadline days in FM. Would add a lot to the game.

Agreed.

Excellent post, i can't imagine your ideas would be particularly hard to implement either :thup:

I think the best way to implement this would be to kind of have it in a match type format... e.g for the last 2 hours of the deadline it will be like a match where u can pause it... so if u wna make signings you pause it and offer for players... then let it run and it will show deals going through and stuff and then when your bid accepted etc you pause again... Then u can kinda have as long/short as you need :) i dno if this makes sense but in my head i think this is the perfect solution!!!!!!!!!! :thup:

Similarly, if a club is really trying to offload a player they’re more likely to accept a lower offer if it means getting rid of him. A £2m bid for a transfer listed £5m rated striker might be rejected outright prior to deadline day, but when faced with the choice of accepting a lower fee of keeping him at the club for the next few months, a club might be more willing to let him go for less..

Excellent idea.

• 1 month later...
I think the best way to implement this would be to kind of have it in a match type format... e.g for the last 2 hours of the deadline it will be like a match where u can pause it... so if u wna make signings you pause it and offer for players... then let it run and it will show deals going through and stuff and then when your bid accepted etc you pause again... Then u can kinda have as long/short as you need :) i dno if this makes sense but in my head i think this is the perfect solution!!!!!!!!!! :thup:

Good idea! Deadline day definitely needs more drama, here's hoping it will be in FM09!

Wasn't the deadline extended by about 12 hrs or a day this season because the deadline would have fallen on a sunday?

Wasn't the deadline extended by about 12 hrs or a day this season because the deadline would have fallen on a sunday?

This isn't needed in the game, as Football Manager doesn't treat Sunday any differently than it does any other day, while in reality it meant deals migth not go through due to people not being at work.

Archived