Press conferences boring ? .... Not at all for me

As I'm playing around one match in a real day or one match in 2 real days, I'm not at all feeling that the press conferences are boring.

I just wanted to give my feedback in this area where people are complaing but it's depend : in fact if you play 3 match in a real day, you will feel boring yes, so this features should remain and it's very depending on how often you play a match

Good feature SI, thanks !!:thup:

Its a good idea, its just a bit dull and repetative, once you finish 1 season of press conferances then its like ..whats the point, they ask the same questions all the way threw "Player x had a great game" "Horror tackle your thoughts" "Deserved or undeserved red card/peno" "Striker x hasnt scored .." "Do you like Manager B" ..thats about what they ask you over and over and over, gets old....fast

I dont think the game is intended to be played only one match a day though. So if you play 10 games a day, you have 10 press conferences, all with the same quesitons. It does get repetitive and boring.

I don't agree.

It's a football simulation with it's limit so : imagine a real manager having 10 press conferences in a day, he won't attend ( like you ) and will certainly delegate to assistant.

So in the game it's the same, the only thing that the new tones will give chance to have more new replies.

But as a football simulation, it has to be there even if it's boring.

In rela life, mangaers, are bored of the same questions so...

Well if you want to buy a game (yes it is a game) and only play it for 10 minutes a day thats up to you. Its your game. So your solution to boring press conferences is to play the game one day at a time so you only get one press conference a week?

Well if you want to buy a game (yes it is a game) and only play it for 10 minutes a day thats up to you. Its your game. So your solution to boring press conferences is to play the game one day at a time so you only get one press conference a week?

But if you are bored in press conferences, you should be bored in many other informations in the game which are repetitive also ( backroom advice, team talks, news etc... )

This game is not made for 1 or 10 match in a day, it's just made for simulating a manager in football, so if you want to play faster it's your choice, just example : many fans are seing ful match ( not me ) in order to be closed to rela simulation, it's a choice, it's depend how much deep you go in each area and this the NICE DIFFERENCE IN FM.

I don't agree.

It's a football simulation with it's limit so : imagine a real manager having 10 press conferences in a day, he won't attend ( like you ) and will certainly delegate to assistant.

So in the game it's the same, the only thing that the new tones will give chance to have more new replies.

There was no mention of Press Conferences connected with Tone in the announcement.

I don't agree.

But it's not about being a perfect simulation, it's better to emphasise the fun and interesting parts, and reduce the boring/mundane ones.

At the moment, press conferences are far too limited with very repetitive questions and only 5 answers to each question which are always the same. I'd like to shake things up a bit, throw in some jokey comments like Kenny Dalglish does, make the press squirm.

But it's not about being a perfect simulation, it's better to emphasise the fun and interesting parts, and reduce the boring/mundane ones.

At the moment, press conferences are far too limited with very repetitive questions and only 5 answers to each question which are always the same. I'd like to shake things up a bit, throw in some jokey comments like Kenny Dalglish does, make the press squirm.

This topic is not for telling that we should not improve this area, but for many fans who wants the press conferences to be out of the game just because it's boring, and to those i tell NO.

We are still far from a perfect simulation ( training, talks, coaching etc.. ) but it's necessary to keep them in the game even if those are boring for some people.

Just what is so wrong about playing only one match a day? If that one match from press conference to result only takes you ten minutes then there's a whole game out there that you're missing out on...

If all I get is ten minutes to play FM, although I don't get much done, I may get through a mundane day in that time. But If I've got time to play (doesn't happen often, granted) then that same mundane day could take me an hour or more, depending on what I'm looking at, be it training, tactics, the next oppo, my youngsters, reserves? whatever...

I save the game after every 15 matches, but often don't get to play for days on end then maybe get an hour or two for a couple of days in which time I'll play a match. As you can probably guess, it takes a while to get from one save-point to the next and I'm constantly fearful of power-failure/software-failure but it means that I get to enjoy the game more than I ever did in the short time that I do get to play it. Whether it's a psychological thing or not, I dunno? Maybe it's just that the game is that much better and has less frustrations for me now? I, like the OP, enjoy the press conferences... but as I've said many times, I use them as a tool for motivating/de-pressurising with a fair degree of success and thus enjoy seeing the results of the PC answers in the performances on the pitch. :)

When I add my additional comments they don't even come up in the report afterwards.

Today I was asked if I was going to get overwhelmed by the Russia national job, I said i had full confidence (in the options) and then wrote that I had won 2 Champions Leagues, 1 Europa League and 3 Premier League titles in 3 years.. first of all it's a dumbass question considering that but second of all they chose to use one of the other answers.

Press conferences are super boring. Once you have done around 10-20 of them it's always the same stuff and you will always go with the same answers to be done with it as quickly as possible and not do to much damage to your teams moral or cause them to become overconfident and cocky.

Usually I try to get an ass. man. with high motivation and man management skills who I can send to press conferences as soon as possible. For me definitively the part of FM I could live the easiest with if removed entirely.

Just what is so wrong about playing only one match a day? If that one match from press conference to result only takes you ten minutes then there's a whole game out there that you're missing out on...

If all I get is ten minutes to play FM, although I don't get much done, I may get through a mundane day in that time. But If I've got time to play (doesn't happen often, granted) then that same mundane day could take me an hour or more, depending on what I'm looking at, be it training, tactics, the next oppo, my youngsters, reserves? whatever...

I save the game after every 15 matches, but often don't get to play for days on end then maybe get an hour or two for a couple of days in which time I'll play a match. As you can probably guess, it takes a while to get from one save-point to the next and I'm constantly fearful of power-failure/software-failure but it means that I get to enjoy the game more than I ever did in the short time that I do get to play it. Whether it's a psychological thing or not, I dunno? Maybe it's just that the game is that much better and has less frustrations for me now? I, like the OP, enjoy the press conferences... but as I've said many times, I use them as a tool for motivating/de-pressurising with a fair degree of success and thus enjoy seeing the results of the PC answers in the performances on the pitch. :)

If you only play one match in an hour or two, how do you save after every 15 matches? This would take 15-30 hours of gameplay without saving. If you are worried about the game crashing, I'd recommend saving every game week.

If you only play one match in an hour or two, how do you save after every 15 matches? This would take 15-30 hours of gameplay without saving. If you are worried about the game crashing, I'd recommend saving every game week.

The game is (usually) permanently running, as is my computer, I literally only have to turn the monitor on and log on to windows to play the game...

I then save every 15 matches BECAUSE I'm worried about the game crashing, otherwise I'd just save it every season or not even bother... I had a crash-dump on 11.2 with this particular save and lost about a month's worth of matches - since 11.3 I've been able to run it constantly without issue but, as they say, "once bitten, twice shy" hence every 15 matches. :)

The game is (usually) permanently running, as is my computer, I literally only have to turn the monitor on and log on to windows to play the game...

I then save every 15 matches BECAUSE I'm worried about the game crashing, otherwise I'd just save it every season or not even bother... I had a crash-dump on 11.2 with this particular save and lost about a month's worth of matches - since 11.3 I've been able to run it constantly without issue but, as they say, "once bitten, twice shy" hence every 15 matches. :)

YOU again!!!! grrr...

If it crashed after 14 matches I'd be really annoyed. That's why I have my autosave set to every week.

Yeah but I'm now over 4 seasons into the save and, apart from the dump on 11.2 6 weeks into the season, there have been no further problems since 11.3. I am tempted to try and not save it until the end of the season but then I'd be really pi$$ed if it crashed towards the end of the season or worse, just before I save it...

I'll stick to every 15 matches (which incidentally can take DAYS to reach in RL...) and the 1st August. I forgot to mention - regardless of how many matches since the last save - I always save it on the 1st August and start counting from there. On average it takes about 3 weeks between saves but the longest time between saves was around a month or so (April 26th - May 21st) and the shortest was 2 days, funnily enough the very next save after the longest time period... :lol: (I guess I had some spare time?)

Yeah but I'm now over 4 seasons into the save and, apart from the dump on 11.2 6 weeks into the season, there have been no further problems since 11.3. I am tempted to try and not save it until the end of the season but then I'd be really pi$$ed if it crashed towards the end of the season or worse, just before I save it...

I'll stick to every 15 matches (which incidentally can take DAYS to reach in RL...) and the 1st August. I forgot to mention - regardless of how many matches since the last save - I always save it on the 1st August and start counting from there. On average it takes about 3 weeks between saves but the longest time between saves was around a month or so (April 26th - May 21st) and the shortest was 2 days, funnily enough the very next save after the longest time period... :lol: (I guess I had some spare time?)

Why take the risk of losing several days of your life? It's not only crashes to worry about, but also you could get a powercut! It takes seconds to save a game, so I don't see the benefit of leaving it more than 2 hours without saving, let alone 2 days.

Do you not at least save it before sleep (if you sleep at all!)?

Aren't you bothered by the waste of energy?

Why take the risk of losing several days of your life? It's not only crashes to worry about, but also you could get a powercut! It takes seconds to save a game, so I don't see the benefit of leaving it more than 2 hours without saving, let alone 2 days.

Do you not at least save it before sleep (if you sleep at all!)?

I save it every fifteen matches/1st August and that's it... the benefit is that I'm forced to play the game properly to be able to succeed... there are no temptations to "cheat" and I enjoy the game much more as a result.

Aren't you bothered by the waste of energy?

Not really, I've always left my computer running permanently as I use it for work too (both on-line and off-line) and never know when I might need to use it in a hurry...

i takes roughly about the same amount of time to save the game as it does to do a press conference!!

and your point is?

I save it every fifteen matches/1st August and that's it... the benefit is that I'm forced to play the game properly to be able to succeed... there are no temptations to "cheat" and I enjoy the game much more as a result.

Kinda sad, the 'cheat police' don't really exist you know.

Not really, I've always left my computer running permanently as I use it for work too (both on-line and off-line) and never know when I might need to use it in a hurry...

So you never sleep then?

Kinda sad, the 'cheat police' don't really exist you know.

You missed the point, by not saving as often as every match... I enjoy the game of FM11 much more as a result, trust me - it's a good thing :thup:

So you never sleep then?

It certainly feels that way sometimes, take a look at the times I post on here for example, sometimes it can be as early/late as 3, 4 or 5am, other days I don't get to read or post at all! I'm a busy man, lol, with a hectic lifestyle at times... I think I probably average somewhere between 4-6 hrs sleep per "night" overall so, yes I sleep, just not as much as I should ;)

Don't really understand that thing of not saving regularly just to avoid the temptation of reloading, but hey it's your game anyway.

and again, you missed the point... I haven't "saved and reloaded" since the days of CM97/98 I think it was? I've merely removed the temptation to do so by extending the periods between saves (because the stability of the software makes it possible).

You missed the point, by not saving as often as every match... I enjoy the game of FM11 much more as a result, trust me - it's a good thing :thup:

I don't think I did miss the point.

And unnecessarily wasting energy is never a good thing.

It certainly feels that way sometimes, take a look at the times I post on here for example, sometimes it can be as early/late as 3, 4 or 5am, other days I don't get to read or post at all! I'm a busy man, lol, with a hectic lifestyle at times... I think I probably average somewhere between 4-6 hrs sleep per "night" overall so, yes I sleep, just not as much as I should ;)

So you could switch off 4-6 hours a day, and who knows, the quality of your sleep might improve as your subconscious would no longer be tormented by the possibility of your game crashing.

and again, you missed the point... I haven't "saved and reloaded" since the days of CM97/98 I think it was? I've merely removed the temptation to do so by extending the periods between saves (because the stability of the software makes it possible).

You just need some willpower! I am never tempted to reload because of a bad result. I did actually reload recently because I accidently spent a lot of money on a player who was ineligible to play for another 6 months, but I don't class this as cheating, more of an admin error by my PA. I lost 3 wins in the process, and had to play them all again.

Truth be told, it's a game/simulation, whatever, but every single game or simulation out there has its limits. Perhaps FM's current limits are lower than you would like, but FM12 promises a host of new ways to answer questions. Plus, after every football match in real life, every manager is asked the same age old questions - what did you think of the penalty decison, so-and-so had a good game, what did you think of his performance etc so it's bound to be repetitive. That's not to say I dont find it dull and boring because I do, but I understand that this is true in real life and Im sure every manager who has to answer the same questions day in day out also finds it boring.

you can play the game how you like. Personally press conferences bore the pants of me and most others, but if you like them than fine. I'm just glad that there is the option to ingnore them. As for playing the game at a really slow pace, that would bore me too. But, fine do it if you like!

The only thing that annoys me about these type of posts is that their is this weird sense of moral superiority - you do understand that you are playing a game? You seem so smug about the way you have spent your evenings playing game! Really it is not something to be excessively proud about.

You just need some willpower! I am never tempted to reload because of a bad result. I did actually reload recently because I accidently spent a lot of money on a player who was ineligible to play for another 6 months, but I don't class this as cheating, more of an admin error by my PA. I lost 3 wins in the process, and had to play them all again.

Stylish :D

xxx

I don't think I did miss the point.

Yeah, you did.. but I'll forgive you :) You also took my statements out of context, the ... were meant to separate them (perhaps I should use bullet points instead?). Maybe I should have said "there are also no temptations to cheat" and separated "and I enjoy the game much more as a result" as that is the overall effect - I feel a sense of achievement when I get to the 'save-point' (and relief of course). I accept I could have written it more clearly..

the benefit is that I'm forced to play the game properly to be able to succeed.

By this I mean as I believe the designers intended us to play, in fact maybe not as there are many features I tend to overlook or only use occasionally. If there is anyone who uses everything in the game all of the time AND watches matches in full length they'd probably make my game look like a holiday mode :p

It's not actually "by choice", as such, that I play the way that I do. Sure the 15 match save limit is self-imposed but time constraints dictate what I can or can't manage to do in a session. In the past I've not been as busy as I am now, especially around launch/Xmas-time and so have had lots of time to play and been able to "get into" games, playing for many hours in one sitting.

Now I might only get a half-hour between appointments, and there is no way that I can play a full match in half an hour. With all the pre-match preparation one undertakes it can take me anywhere upwards of an hour and beyond, usually more. What I can do though, is tweak a few player's training schedules or view the highlights of a scouted match; I can have a staff meeting or view some scout reports; I can assess the strength of my squad and identify targets for weak areas; I can deal with renegotiating player's or staff contracts (or my own); I can go to a press conference...

It appears that the less time I have the more "in-depth" I seem to become, because I only have enough time to do "that" (whatever 'that' may be). I have found myself exploring areas of the game I've never ventured into before, because I have nothing better to do in the short time I have available, and that then leading on to other parts that I've never used and even enlightenment on how a particular feature "works". It's funny, but the more that I play the game the way that I do, the more I want to get even deeper into it and use everything in it's fullest mode... it's probably a good thing that some things are over my head. ;)

The thing is, now that I do play like this, I don't want to play any other way. I've seen people say how they play the game, both here on SI's forums and elsewhere, and thought "I used to play like that" but then the next thought is "why?" The simple answer being, "because I didn't know any better", because I didn't. I can honestly say that, of all the ways and all of the versions that I've played of FM/CM, playing FM11 in the way that I do gives me for more enjoyment than any of them ever did and I've been hooked since CM2!

I don't expect you, or anybody, to understand why that is, it just is and I'm happy that it is.

And unnecessarily wasting energy is never a good thing.

I could be a pedant and explain why it's not actually a waste of energy when you consider other benefits but I'll just settle for explaining that my energy bills are no higher than they were during the 9 month period that I was without a desktop computer which would suggest that the actual consumption is really very little and therefore negligible.

So you could switch off 4-6 hours a day, and who knows, the quality of your sleep might improve as your subconscious would no longer be tormented by the possibility of your game crashing.

There is nothing wrong with the quality of my sleep, just the amount, but thanks for your concern :)

You said that you enjoy the game more just because you don't save every other match? How does that make it more enjoyable?

I guess it's an endurance thing, I've always wanted to be able to set the autosave to "every year" or "every five years" and just play, no saving, no messing about starting or closing the game, just play.... but every year I start out with my first save on release day and, invariably, the machine or the software fails before I get very far which then forces me to start saving more frequently. The more reliable the software/hardware the longer I can go before the dreaded crash-dump/BSOD makes me, temporarily, dangerous to SI/Microsoft employees.. :whistle:

Seriously though, as I said above, I get a sense of achievement at completing the 15 matches so that I can save the game and I'm also pleased that both the hardware and the software have remained stable. I have so little time to play FM that I don't want to waste it saving every 5 minutes, I just want to play the game.

I suppose what makes it more enjoyable is a combination of the self-enforced save-points and the lack of time to play causing me to explore other areas of the game in the short times I do have (because the game is already running). Had I all day to play the game I may well be able to play 15 matches playing less in-depth (and thus close the game) but lack of time dictates I can't do that so I have to leave the game running for longer. As it's running, any free-time I do have can quickly be utilised in playing FM. I might only manage ten minutes, or an hour, or a full-match in any one go but I'm still playing the game, it's just more spaced out than most people's (and probably much deeper than many too).

Yes. I need willpower but you need a new PA... clever...

As I said, I haven't even been tempted for many a version. I was disappointed even, when I achieved better results in the games I had to replay following my early crash-dump. I've matured a lot since those days too, now I wouldn't feel "honest" replaying matches because I'd not achieved the expected result or reloading a save because I'd made a mistake on a transfer. I'd assume that if you could make that mistake in-game, a RL manager could make it too. Maybe someone else may even be bothered to find some examples of it happening IRL. Me? I ain't got the time...

you can play the game how you like. Personally press conferences bore the pants of me and most others, but if you like them than fine. I'm just glad that there is the option to ingnore them. As for playing the game at a really slow pace, that would bore me too. But, fine do it if you like!

The only thing that annoys me about these type of posts is that their is this weird sense of moral superiority - you do understand that you are playing a game? You seem so smug about the way you have spent your evenings playing game! Really it is not something to be excessively proud about.

If that's the way that my posts come across then I sincerely apologise. I'm just enthusiastic about the game. I get frustrated at people complaining in the forums that this feature or that feature "doesn't work" when I play the game in the way that I do and experience hardly any of the problems that so many others seem to.

There isn't any sense of pride or superiority, I don't really understand why you would think that there is? I'm sure that there are far better FM players than I, I just want everyone who plays FM to enjoy it like I do, what's "superior" or "proud" about that? I hope that by sharing my own playing style and my experiences with various features others are encouraged to explore the game further and increase their own enjoyment as a result. FM really is packed full of stuff to do, see, try, fiddle with, or whatever and if you fiddle with the right bits, or press the right buttons, or try the right thing, you (eventually) achieve the right results.

Like I alluded to SteveRobbo earlier in the thread, if you aren't fully exploring the game and it's features then there's a whole game out there that you're missing out on. I've only really discovered that because of how I'm forced to play the game by my erratic lifestyle, but I'm genuinely happy that I have!

Archived