Which newgen keepers are "less worse"?

Apparently the models for newgen keepers are unable to produce a "Cech", a "Casillas" or a "Buffon", and the vast majority of game-generated goalies have at least a major weak area.

For starters they're all very slow, it's a rare occurrence finding one with Acceleration >10.

Then there are several types of keepers, but every single combo seems to have at least a major flaw...

Some are terrible in the air, some can't block the easiest shots, some are mentally weak, some have no idea on what to do with the ball once they've saved a shot...

And when you're lucky enough to have found a somewhat balanced keeper, his Eccentricity will be >15...

So I'm asking you, which weakness is less harmful for a top-notch keeper? Should I go for an aerial dominator or for a ground-based shotstopper?

Is Eccentricity (too high or too low) really a problem?

Well tbh I don't think many top keepers in RL have good acceleration and it certainly isn't that important in FM. In terms of other weaknesses I think a lot of top keepers have a weaker area, they simply mask it better in real life whereas its more obvious on FM when you look at attributes.

Looking around the the best newgen keepers in my save a lot seem to have either high eccentricity or low rushing out although I did see a 19yo Croatian with no weak areas albeit he is still developing.

FWIW I have an Italian 21yo who has been the regular U21 keeper for Italy and performed well the last couple of seasons in a backup role for me despite having 16 eccentricity.

Personally I always go for a shot stopper with high reflex, one-on-one, positioning, and composure+concentration. My defenders can deal with the aerial balls, and my DM can prevent long shots. I just need GK to stop the through ball and one-on-one.

It's not hurting him much :p

This is him a season later:

743.png

He is easily my starting keeper and plays all my CL matches.

This is his competition:

742.png

Amazing in some areas and useless in others.

Depends what you want. A keeper to stand between the sticks and defend or one that helps the attacking by clearing balls when he can.

IMHO a value between about 10 and 15 on a good keeper is idea. Too low he will just stand there, too high he does stupid things like try and close down a striker 30 yards out

Can't say I've had this problem. Then again, this has been my first choice 'keeper in my main save since he was 20 years old...

2hVoYl.jpg

I guess +2 reflexes and throwing would be nice, but he's a great shot stopper and absolutely unbeatable when it comes to crosses.

Thanks,I thought all the attributes are on "higher the better'' concept,didn't know a balance could be good too...

It's kind of like flair. You don't want a player with straight 1's with 20 flair. He would lose possession every time. If they are good then having high flair is great, if not its awful.

Wouldn't say i have experienced a lack of good keepers in FM11. In my Man Utd and Arsenal saves i had good 1st and 2nd choice keepers.

1st choice Man Utd

Enrique.png

2nd Choice Man Utd

Jones.png

1st Choice Arsenal

Horvath.png

2nd Choice Arsenal

Centurion.png

All top keepers who put good performances in.

I love eccentricity in a keeper. Give me a Barthez or Chilavert any day of the week.

The Prem in my current save is littered with world class keepers - most of whom have been sold by me to make way for the next youth coming through.

Rushing out is a tendency, not an ability.

But you're right. There does seem to be a lack of keepers with high attributes for rushing out.

I knew that as well just totally slipped my mind. I often look for a good sweeper keeper but that often becomes pointless at a certain point in the game.

goalkeepery.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Picked my Keeper up for £2.3 mil when he was 17, had a season on loan at liverpool and is in his second season as my number 1. Good all round keeper who should only get better, he's also got decent speed for a keeper, not that it matters that much.

At lower leagues and ant top as well what matters the most is. Reflexes, jumping, aerial ability. My keepers who are good in these areas make some fantastic saves. So if you want some highlights made entirely of saves then I suggest go for these attributes :D

Part Two...

robinson.png

drazic.png

onuh.png

steinlechner.png

So I have eight keepers from various countries and I feel all are good enough either now or in the future for most teams. None have cost me the world (6 million pounds for the Uzbek). The other seven of these keepers were purchased for less than 2 million pounds, with three or four under 1 million. The Benin guy is my #1 and the pom is probably going to take over from him I feel, although the Nigerian will be pushing him.

Think some people in this thread are mixing up eccentricity and rushing out. Also, rushing out and tendency to punch are not abilities, ie they are neither good nor bad, just a personal style. They also don't take CA points I think. I've never had difficulties finding good keepers in FMs. Arguably they are easier to find than other positions and compared to real life, good keepers feel like they're too common, maybe because once you've found one you can keep him for close to 20 years or pretty much your whole FM save without having to go into the transfer market again.

I'm not sure about the ME but two-footedness in a keeper IRL would be pretty useful to keep the distribution decent even when being closed down. It'll also offer more options to DCs making a backpass as they are usually careful to aim it for the keeper's preferred foot.

So many keepers with a poor first touch and poor rushing out, I think goal keeper behaviour is an area of the ME SI need to look at I want my keeper playing as Victor Valdes does at present I don't think this is possible

Victor Valdes no? Pepe reina?

I think the point is somewhat being missed, all new Gen keepers lack in these attribute a goal keeping attribute according to si. Isn't that a little strange?

Victor Valdes no? Pepe reina?

I think the point is somewhat being missed, all new Gen keepers lack in these attribute a goal keeping attribute according to si. Isn't that a little strange?

First touch is included under GK attributes as GKs don't have technical attributes like outfield players.

If you look closer though its not highlighted as a key skill for any type of keeper role.

First touch is included under GK attributes as GKs don't have technical attributes like outfield players.

If you look closer though its not highlighted as a key skill for any type of keeper role.

GKs do have all the technical attributes except they are hidden. The GKs Outfield Rating is based on this.

GK's with poor speed and low rushing out is a problem for teams with slow cb's and/or playing a high line obviously.

I wouldnt consider a high tendency to punch good for a keeper with excellent handling/good aerial ability and high eccentricity, unless he has excellent decision making, but still a very unpredictable keeper type.

I've only had 1 save throughout FM11 but i found a gem of a keeper very early on. He has been number one for club and country since he was 20 years old. He has won European GK of the year 4 times, been nominated for world golden ball 6 times and has won La Liga GK of the year 3 times. He also has 28 trophys to his name! Not bad for £3.1m!

zamoranew.jpg

zamorastats.jpg

Archived