Foootball Manager Live. Does anyone know of the FM2011 Online version?

The same ME, the same Devs, the same originators (PaulC & Ov), but based on threads, it seems so many have never heard of it?

I read numerous threads here asking for elements that you would find on FM2011's sister game Football Manager Live (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/155-Interested-in-FML)- effectively the Online version of FM2011. I was a self confessed FM2009 addict when I started playing FML 2 years ago- I happened upon it by chance, and never left.

'Real person' negotiations, dealing in poker style bluff and managerial genius to get good deals (or get fleeced! :eek:). Then you play matches against the same real people -in FA's, Leagues, Cups etc- to see who has best tactics or best all round ability as a manager- http://www.footballmanagerlive.com/

Most people I speak to on FML still play FM2011- they aren't mutually exclusive. Its £4.99 a month and you could just play for just 1 month to see if its for you (it probably more suits those people that can deal with the rags to riches style of FM2011 management... Lower division to top division etc).

Same ME, different layout and slightly less tools etc (but for what you lose, you really gain constant people to chew the Football Manager cud with... ingame).

Serious questions for those that play FM2011- had you heard of FML and decided against it, never heard of it, played it and not liked it...?

You do know there is a a whole section of the forum for it don't you ;)

Aside from that its not for me I'm afraid. Its difficult to explain why but for it is different from FM or even an online game of FM.

I like to take my time with FM and play at my own pace whereas a lot of Live players seem to rush through games at a much faster pace.

Hi Cougar,

Well aware of our forum- which is also part of the same set of forums as FM2011- but, seriously, I am bemused by the lack of people being aware.

I agree, though, it isn't for all people- it is much harder than FM2011 to start with, and some people will only be satisfied by instant success. Equally it takes time to build a side. A 20 in Natural Fitness and Stamina are both needed- as well as high Att's in mentals :p

As far as your 'rushing' comment. Not so. Each Gameworld has FA's to suit the style of play you want- and the seasons last 23 days (which is hardly rushing).

No more jobs... my real one is enough :p (don't you know times are tough?! :D)

£5 a month. Thats £60 a year..... including free updates/upgrades. If you only played 7 hours a week (which is ultra conservative as it is addictive, as you know) that is 2p an hour.

Times must be tough.... all for less than 2 pints a month :p

I played for several months from the start in Cantona, and I have to admit I enjoyed the differing challenge it presented. I actually built my team up to the point where we were top 20/30 in the GW, but then one of the updates came with the newer tactics/touchline instructions, and I simply couldn't recreate what I'd had previously. Then there was talk about resetting the GW, numbers began to dwindle and I found I was playing absurd numbers of matches against the AI, which wasn't at all what I'd signed up for. All contributed to a loss of interest on my part and, when it came to renew, I'd soured on the whole experience enough to not do so.

That would've been over a year ago now so, who knows, maybe at some point in the future I'll give it another whirl. I'm actually kind of surprised SI haven't tried to attract people to it by say, giving away a month's free subscription with every copy of FM11. Then again I've no idea how much of the FM fanbase are accounted for on FML, whether it'd overload the servers etc.

It just doesn't work for me. I like to be able to walk away from FM. To pause. Play in the background.

But, there is a hole in my FM life. When i'm at work. Or the shops. Or on the bus. Times I have internet access, an iPhone, but no FM. The FM iPhone app just doesn't do it for me.

If SI were to release an FMLive iPhone client, I'd be back tomorrow.

That said, I might give it another try after I get married next month. See if I can get hooked now it's had time to grow a little.

No more jobs... my real one is enough :p (don't you know times are tough?! :D)

£5 a month. Thats £60 a year..... including free updates/upgrades. If you only played 7 hours a week (which is ultra conservative as it is addictive, as you know) that is 2p an hour.

Times must be tough.... all for less than 2 pints a month :p

I found another game that is also addictive, includes free updates/upgrades, and only costs £20-£40 a year depending on where you buy it. It's made by the same team, has advanced AI teams you can play against, and lets you manage a real club! It's called FM11.

FMLive is roughly double the cost of FM11. While it's still great value, it's hardly too big a bargain to miss.

I found another game that is also addictive, includes free updates/upgrades, and only costs £20-£40 a year depending on where you buy it. It's made by the same team, has advanced AI teams you can play against, and lets you manage a real club! It's called FM11.

FMLive is roughly double the cost of FM11. While it's still great value, it's hardly too big a bargain to miss.

Thats fair enough... like I said, it might not suit some people as it doesn't have the editor or save game to keep playing until you win facility. :p

I'm just suggesting pitting your FM11 skills against real people, rather than an AI that is easy to beat. If you aren't up to the challenge (or just don't like the idea) thats cool :D.

i gave FMLive a bash when it came out but i found it boring, and like others have said it kinda missed the point when you ended up playing against offline people, plus the price is a rip off.

It has come on a lot in 2.5 years- much like FM11 & like I said before, there are FA's specific to the level of play you want.

As far as the amount goes, I think in a world where people pay £30 for 90 minutes of football and £4 for an expensive beer... getting xxx hours of interactive Football Manager for £4.99 a month is not expensive. Not in any reality. If its not for you, thats cool, but the money argument holds little water.

It has come on a lot in 2.5 years- much like FM11 & like I said before, there are FA's specific to the level of play you want.

As far as the amount goes, I think in a world where people pay £30 for 90 minutes of football and £4 for an expensive beer... getting xxx hours of interactive Football Manager for £4.99 a month is not expensive. Not in any reality. If its not for you, thats cool, but the money argument holds little water.

I just dont like the idea of subscribing to something i prob wont use very often , i prefer buying the game and just playing as i feel, and not that i have to because im paying for it each month, each to their own tho!!

Thats fair enough... like I said, it might not suit some people as it doesn't have the editor or save game to keep playing until you win facility. :p

I'm just suggesting pitting your FM11 skills against real people, rather than an AI that is easy to beat. If you aren't up to the challenge (or just don't like the idea) thats cool :D.

Grow up kid. Insulting anyone who doesn't play your game, insinuating that they cheat and aren't good enough is quite simply childish. I've played in beta, early release then again six months ago. I was relatively successful without dominating. Unfortunately it doesn't mesh with my play style or time constraints, and ultimately didn't give me the same pleasure FM can simply because I was waiting on other people. I couldn't fly through a decade in a couple of weeks, developing great players. It was too slow paced in that respect.

But of course, if you feel that the only way to feel like a real man is to insult anyone different to you, go ahead. Just don't expect anyone to respect you or take you seriously.

Anyway, play against real people? Every time I've played (other than beta) the vast majority of games ended up being player vs AI anyway!

Grow up kid. Insulting anyone who doesn't play your game, insinuating that they cheat and aren't good enough is quite simply childish. I've played in beta, early release then again six months ago. I was relatively successful without dominating. Unfortunately it doesn't mesh with my play style or time constraints, and ultimately didn't give me the same pleasure FM can simply because I was waiting on other people. I couldn't fly through a decade in a couple of weeks, developing great players. It was too slow paced in that respect.

But of course, if you feel that the only way to feel like a real man is to insult anyone different to you, go ahead. Just don't expect anyone to respect you or take you seriously.

Anyway, play against real people? Every time I've played (other than beta) the vast majority of games ended up being player vs AI anyway!

He hasn't been childish what so ever in this thread as far as i can see :s

That's the post I meant to post. And I'd say that it's pretty childish to claim that anyone choosing FM11 over FMLive is cheating, using editors or can't take a real challenge.

What would you call replying to a post claiming "It doesn't suit how I like to play" with "Yeah, can't cheat eh?" if not childish?

That's the post I meant to post. And I'd say that it's pretty childish to claim that anyone choosing FM11 over FMLive is cheating, using editors or can't take a real challenge.

What would you call replying to a post claiming "It doesn't suit how I like to play" with "Yeah, can't cheat eh?" if not childish?

I'd say more banter then childish, spartacas seems pleasant enough by his posts in here so i'm sure he never meant anything by what you read into.

I'd say more banter then childish, spartacas seems pleasant enough by his posts in here so i'm sure he never meant anything by what you read into.

I guess it's also banter if I was to go on the Fifa Manager forums and call them babies for playing FIFA? I mean, he's ultimately come to the FM11 forums and called all FM11 players cheats. So, yeah. Step beyond banter and into revealing his own insecurities. ;)

I think you are being a little naive, tbh. I wouldn't insult FM11 as it's an awesome game- and what lead me to FML- but to suggest that a fair amount of people don't just use the save/editor to win (or take over othe teams to get money) is clearly wrong (I know I do sometimes when I just fancy a winning save).

Equally I am not saying that all people do it. Clearly they don't. Quite where my bit of banter was childish is lost on me, though- note the emoticon.... its a signal.

You may not have liked the game, you might even be the defender of the faith that is FM2011. Cool. But lets be clear though, you played for 2 weeks -Not even a whole season- and clearly didn't give the community aspect (the best part and something loads of people on these threads are screaming for) a fair go. I'd just love more to give ity a try and see if it is something they would like as well as FM11.

Some say there is high AI amounts of games.... but you have to buy off people, negotiate with people, can discuss games/tactics/formations/pleayers with people. It may appeal to some & as a game also supplied by SI, I am surprised SI don't push it harder.

I guess it's also banter if I was to go on the Fifa Manager forums and call them babies for playing FIFA? I mean, he's ultimately come to the FM11 forums and called all FM11 players cheats. So, yeah. Step beyond banter and into revealing his own insecurities. ;)

Haha... you would fit in well on our forums. Feel free to go look... we have lots of unconstructive comments there too :D

To get back on topic. I think it's better to think about FML in comparison to a network game on FM.

I tried a network game for a little while a few years ago. Trying to organise people being online together, waiting for others to hit the continue button/not having enough time to scout for players before the time up, people dropping out, bandwidth issues all made it a novel but not hugely enjoyable experience.

FML overcomes these problems so it's definitely something people who fancied network games should give it a try.

I have time in my life and love in my heart for both FM and FML.

I get bored with the slow pace of FM and the micromanagement involved.

However I love the fast action of FML but miss some of the player interaction you have on FM as this is limited in FML.

The community aspect is where FML wins for me though, its great having a crack playing especially whilst watching a big match on the box.

I am surprised more FM players do not know about FML though, although I guess the two are seperate games and have massive differences in the way Sega and Si are involved in both games.

I think you are being a little naive, tbh. I wouldn't insult FM11 as it's an awesome game- and what lead me to FML- but to suggest that a fair amount of people don't just use the save/editor to win (or take over othe teams to get money) is clearly wrong (I know I do sometimes when I just fancy a winning save).

Equally I am not saying that all people do it. Clearly they don't. Quite where my bit of banter was childish is lost on me, though- note the emoticon.... its a signal.

You may not have liked the game, you might even be the defender of the faith that is FM2011. Cool. But lets be clear though, you played for 2 weeks -Not even a whole season- and clearly didn't give the community aspect (the best part and something loads of people on these threads are screaming for) a fair go. I'd just love more to give ity a try and see if it is something they would like as well as FM11.

Some say there is high AI amounts of games.... but you have to buy off people, negotiate with people, can discuss games/tactics/formations/pleayers with people. It may appeal to some & as a game also supplied by SI, I am surprised SI don't push it harder.

Reading comprehension is a lost art! I claimed you can't play a decade in two weeks, but that my main love is developing players and as such FMLive misses the mark as the pace is too slow. I didn't claim I played FM Live for 2 weeks. The fact that I took part in the beta, the launch, then gave it another go when it relaunched suggests I played for more than 2 weeks. In fact, the beta and launch should suggest I did play for long enough to be a part of my server's community at the time?

That said, yeah. Projecting. You cheat when you play FM, therefore most people do, therefore it is less pure. Guess what? FM is as pure as you want it to be. And you know what else? It is possible to cheat at FMLive if you really want to as well. More difficult, yeah. But can you use a home PC and a laptop with wireless internet to manage two teams in a league? Sure. It's practically unprovable too, especially if you use a relative's credit card for the second team. IPs won't match, names won't match, and with some sense you can avoid flagging anything by being too unreasonable. Only difference is it's harder to do and actually costs money.

We get it, you prefer FML to FM. They are distinct games with their own strengths and weaknesses though. it isn#t FM full and FM light, or FM easy and FM hard. They are different games. Claiming one is better than the other is like claiming snooker is better than pool, or vice versa.

I don't think the intention was ever to convert or insult any FM players - after all, many FML players play FM and vice versa - it was just started as a genuine experiment to see whether it was widely known amongst this community. One thing that has caused FML to suffer is the lack of marketing for it, and an easy way of doing that would be to let FM users know about it when they bought FM11. That wasn't done, hence why matters were being taken into our hands, rather than SIs.

Like r0x0r says, FM and FML are not equivalent, and apart from them being based on the same sport, with similar rules to the game, they are like chalk and cheese. It's not to say - if you like FM you'll like FML, or the other way around. I lost months and months of my life to the FM series, and yet now can't really get into the newer versions because of the simplicity of FML. I still play it though, because they're two completely different games.

All the concerns/points/comments people have mentioned in this thread are just, and it's good to see that there is a knowledge of the game amongst this community.

I pay and play for this product but i'm unhappy with the level of support and direction this game has taken since the reset.

I can't play this game in the evenings due to massive server lag, they failed to even fix this issue after 14 months.

They never advertise FML but yet they charge people to play.

FML will be a product where SI failed to back fully.

If i had not taken a 2 year sub out early last year i would have cancelled, it's a crying shame as this game has the potential but at SI towers they seem to be concentrating on other profit making schemes like FM12 and the Korean MMO version of FM.

I pay and play for this product but i'm unhappy with the level of support and direction this game has taken since the reset.

I can't play this game in the evenings due to massive server lag, they failed to even fix this issue after 14 months.

They never advertise FML but yet they charge people to play.

FML will be a product where SI failed to back fully.

If i had not taken a 2 year sub out early last year i would have cancelled, it's a crying shame as this game has the potential but at SI towers they seem to be concentrating on other profit making schemes like FM12 and the Korean MMO version of FM.

cynet is well known as the biggest troll on the fml forums so I would encourage anybody who is interested in FML to just ignore him (like the rest of us do), try it out, and form your own opinions. It's 4.99 and you can cancel anytime so there isn't too much risk involved in trying it out, right? ;)

FML for me everytime!

Have been playing since CM 93 - FM 11 and those games have been awesome. So whats the big deal about FML? Well just the simple things like own Team name, kit and staduim makes it feel more like your own club and with other human managers its so much tougher! Got to be really good to win any majors and maybe a lot of people can't handle that? Not for everyone but for me it rocks, why not give it a try.

How was he insulting anyone? seriously if you think that's an insult you should get out more.

Football Manager Live is an awesome game and well worth the £5 a month, I struggle to play the much easier FM11 now because it's so boring.

I'm used to be Spartacus nemesis in FML forums, but this time I'm in part agree with him.

Of course it's a very personal feeling, but for me, after being, even if for very small time, the best in a big group of other people like me I find no more satisfaction playing against AI teams in FM. I'm globally a fan of online games and I always feel that there is much more fun to challenge other humans than to win against someone who doesn't exist. I've tried to play FM after FML, but after few matches I ask to myself: where is the point of beating only the cpu? Ok, I won the Champions League, so I'm the best of... myself?

Also about the price I'm agree with Spartacus. FML is not a sparetime game (at least it shouldn't be), and 5£ each month is nothing compared with what it can give to you.

By the way I also understand who doens't want to play FML. Unfortunately SI, in my opinion, has never understood the big difference in those two games. One, FM, has to be more realistic as possible to let you feel as much similar to the real manager of your favourite team. And on this part everything seems great. FML instead is a game in which different people are one against the other and so the focus should be on the game balance and on the rewards for being good. This is far away from being true. FML is treathed as the small unlucky brother of FM and it makes it something strange, great in some part because it's born from a masterpiece of videogames, full of problems for other parts because it has never found its own street.

FM let you play a romantic football, your own strategy, your own idea of football, while in FML to be good you need to use the tactic and the players that works as best with the current ME and this kills the great variety and deepness that FM has.

The fact that you can cheat is a great pro of FM because it let the SI being free of not taking care of who can't win. I mean that a manager who can't win a match in FM can always use editor and cheat to make the game easier for him. Who can't be able to win in FML can just accept it or quit. Unfortuntely, as a company, they can't let this happen so in some way in FML there is a minumum limit of success that your team is going to get anyway you play, making the game casual or random or better driven by huge morale, form, runs effects. At the end the best wins quite often in FML, but the street for the success is often strange and full of unexpected results that really seems to be forced by the game to give some chance and happiness to everybody.

To be fair I have to say that I'm quitting FML in these days because all those problems don't let me appreciate the game anymore. I have also to say that FML gave me a lot of emotions, that FM will never give to me, so I'm going to take a break from every SI games, but probably I'll be back in the future, hoping that things will be changed.

I hope you could understand my thoughts. Sorry for all the mistakes I've done.

I played in a so called active FA, and quite frankly hated all the AI games. It was made clear to me by mods that for a so called PvP game I should expect to spend most of my time playing PvE.

Shame its a great game and in the early days the focus was on PvP, but my experience towards the end was that SI gave too much thought towards casual players and the hardcore was expected to put up with it.

If things have changed I may well give it a 2nd go on day

I've tried fml but never really enjoyed it as much as i hoped. I think the problem for me is thta i tend to play fm in rather irregular amounts, like i'll play heaps and heaps for a few days but then might go the next few days without playing at all.

I ended up spending too much time pre-season sitting around waiting for games to start but then halfway through a season i would begin to get bored, particularly if playing against the AI. I always love playing games online but fm has always been a game i've found to be much better as a single player game, at least for me anyway.

I've tried fml but never really enjoyed it as much as i hoped. I think the problem for me is thta i tend to play fm in rather irregular amounts, like i'll play heaps and heaps for a few days but then might go the next few days without playing at all.

I ended up spending too much time pre-season sitting around waiting for games to start but then halfway through a season i would begin to get bored, particularly if playing against the AI. I always love playing games online but fm has always been a game i've found to be much better as a single player game, at least for me anyway.

That is exactly how I feel as well. I have been playing FML two times. Once it was released and after the restart. I don't like the fact that it forces me to play all the time, so I won't get behind. Online gaming for me has always been better as a quick game/tournament experience (like Pro Evo and FPS games).

Archived