Goalie sent off for handling ball in his box, what's happened?

Okay, can someone watch this and explain to me what has happened?

[video=youtube;frFOBP2SRFg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frFOBP2SRFg

I'm totally clueless, is it a pass back he's been sent off for or what?

I mean if that's classified as a back pass that's ridiculous, it says Song made a good sliding tackle for the ball for god sake.

Would it be cheating if I replayed this game or is this fair?

Ha, that's insane. The only possibility I can think of is that Song was deemed to have made a back pass. Bear in mind that the commentary hasn't been updated for a long time now and doesn't always correspond very well to what you see in the 3D match engine.

Otherwise, I suppose it must be a bug. In the post-match screen, what did it say about the referee's performance?

Yeah, that's a bug. However, before you replay, please please please upload the .pkm in the bugs forum!

I sent you a message, huge problem, I'd already gone back to replay it just before you posted that.

Is there no way I can help?

Funny bug, i lold.

I have to ask though if this had happened to the AI goalkeeper and the full time result had gone your way would you still restart the game?

That's impossible for me to tell.

I'm not sure how I would choose my options

There have been cases in RL football of questionable 'pass back' calls - if the ref thinks thats what it was (wether right ot wrong) and the goalie prevented a goal by handling the ball then yes a red card would be given. Thats by the rules.

Its hard to make out from the video though wether there is any possible chance of the ref making a bad call, and if it would have been a goal if the goalie hadnt touched it.

FM seems to 'cheat' when ever it likes to get some results mate so I don't see why you can't replay this game. If you feel you've been cheated, do it, you're no more a cheat than the game can be.....lol

u really haven't a clue have you

it could be a bug in the commentary, but i cant watch the vid just now as its taking ages to load up for me, slow day for my internet =/ will chekc it later x)

What the Backpass Rule Says

The FIFA football rule book states that the goalkeeper may not handle the ball '...if it has been deliberately kicked to him1 by a team-mate'.

If the goalkeeper does handle the ball in those circumstances, then an indirect free-kick is awarded to the attacking team, to be taken from the place where the 'keeper handled the ball'.

The 'deliberately kicked' part is crucial. The backpass rule does not apply if the ball is headed to the goalkeeper by a team-mate. It's also perfectly OK for the 'keeper to pick up the ball if it merely deflects off a team-mate's boot during play - if, for instance, an opponent's shot is deflected by a defender's boot and the goalkeeper then saves the shot.

It's this last aspect of the rule that leads to disputed decisions, since the referee will often have to decide whether a defender actually intended to guide the ball to the goalkeeper. Referees usually give the benefit of any doubt to the defence.

I think its also crucial to notice he never kept hands on the ball.it was a save.if it resulted in goalkeeper possession it woulda been less clear cut but even then the benefit would be with the defending team.

watched it numerous times,it wasnt a backpass at all.it woulda been a certain goal by the look of it if not for the save.point is moot though seeing as its been replayed hope you won second time around :D

Keeper can't be sent off for picking up a back pass in the area because you can't penalise a goalkeeper for a handling offence (denial of a goal-scoring opportunity by deliberate handball) in the area as they can handle the ball in the area. It sounds messed up but it's correct in law AFAIK.

Can't quite believe the attempted justification for this on here xD

It's not even a backpass - if you watch carefully it's a sliding tackle which acts like a "shot" towards the 'keeper, who doesn't actually collect the ball - the 'keeper simply pushes the ball away to the right and the ref instantly blows up for handball!

It's quite clearly a bug - a comical one at that. I'm guessing it's a one in a billion and replicating it would be next to impossible.

Archived