No rule change warning from SI means an abandoned 3 season save

Played 3 full seasons from tier 7 in England, to get an unbeaten lg record 1st season and then almost every record in the Blue Square North after deliberately staying down in my first season there since I missed the 'most games unbeaten' record in that division at the 1st attempt (got it 2nd season there though and won the lg).

4th season, scoured around, made my transfers etc, did my friendlies and got my team fully fit and ready.

1st lg match, WTF ??????? When I try to submit my team it suddenly says I need 4 home grown players in my match squad.

Since I have no funds left, and can't free transfer anyone in at all due to my financial situation, I am given 4 pieces of generated crap that I must put in my team (all my players the previous 3 seasons were EU, but non english), cue defeat after defeat after defeat because those pieces of crap are just way off the mark, not gelling, and therefore one abandoned save.

Why the hell isn't there ANY kind of message or warning for teams coming up into the BSP that they will need 4 home grown players in their match squad for the next season ???

For those that aren't familiar irl with the rules of such a low division, it is an EPIC failure on SI's part to just let a huge rule change (since I was able to play with NO home grown players in the previou 2 divisions) hit a player of the game without giving them one single inbox notice at the start of the BSP season (for a promoted side) as to what they will need to do in order to comply with the new rules in that division.

:thdn::thdn::thdn:

4 homegrown players in the match squad includes the bench. Just put them on the bench. I know it means your subs are restricted though. One of the homegrown players could be your backup keeper as they will probably be rarely used.

Also, I assume you didn't look at the rules for the league unless you did and it wasn't there then that is a problem.

Also you can use FMRTE to make any player you want homegrown. I know it is "cheating" but it is your game and I thought it may be a better solution than abandoning a save you liked.

Try reading the league rules in game, it's there for all to see and plan for.

You're understandably annoyed and frustrated, but I would say it's more of an epic failure on your part.

Aside from the ranting I think speople has a point here. I would have thought you would get a message. You get one for european competitions so I would have thought that would extend to other leagues aswell.

Edit - is this a real life rule? I don't recall seeing this rule in my games, nor is it in effect in my current long term game.

Whilst a inbox notice would probably help the situation you've done yourself no favours by not checking the rules when you were promoted.

You can't really blame SI when you've done nothing yourself.

This :thup:

Try reading the league rules in game, it's there for all to see and plan for.

You're understandably annoyed and frustrated, but I would say it's more of an epic failure on your part.

And this :thup:

4 homegrown players in the match squad includes the bench. Just put them on the bench. I know it means your subs are restricted though. One of the homegrown players could be your backup keeper as they will probably be rarely used.

Also, I assume you didn't look at the rules for the league unless you did and it wasn't there then that is a problem.

Also you can use FMRTE to make any player you want homegrown. I know it is "cheating" but it is your game thought it may be a better solution than abandoning a save you liked.

I used them as subs, but because in general 3 midfielders require subbing at HT due to tiredness and I was 'given' 3 defenders and a striker, it means my 4 man midfeld is playing with 3 red dots, which ain't good for results no matter who you have as a keeper or strikers :mad:

And I can't use FMRTE, for the simple reason I don't believe in cheating.

As regards looking at the rules for a new division compared to your previous 2 divisions in the same country, it could be likened to a manager coming out at half time to measure the oppositions goalposts to see if they have been 'moved'. (It just doesn't happen, not even by Ferguson or Benitez).

So a player of the game, is hardly gonna look at a new division's rules either to see if their current squad complies with them.

I don't consider 'it' (not realising the rules until the 1st match was due to be submitted) to be my fault, I lay the blame fairly and squarely on SI's shoulders (since in the previous 2 divisions my squad was a-ok). It takes nothing to put one message in an inbox to warn/remind people about drastic new rules changes from division to division. And therefore that should be something that it coded into future releases, to be polite, if nothing else.

Wonder how long (number of tries) it's gonna take me to go unbeaten 1st season and grab virtually every record in the BSN etc etc again now that I am 'forewarned' from experience that I will such and such in my squad for the BSP :(:(

Aside from the ranting I think speople has a point here. I would have thought you would get a message. You get one for european competitions so I would have thought that would extend to other leagues aswell.

Edit - is this a real life rule? I don't recall seeing this rule in my games, nor is it in effect in my current long term game.

Dunno about irl, but I still play 10.2, maybe 10.3 eliminated the 4 player rule.

I'd agree that there should be notice in your inbox about it but I always check the league rules of a new division I am in anyway.

I think the rule was brought in last season that there must be 4 homegrown players in the match squad for league matches from BSP to Championship. I could be wrong though.

As regards looking at the rules for a new division compared to your previous 2 divisions in the same country, it could be likened to a manager coming out at half time to measure the oppositions goalposts to see if they have been 'moved'. (It just doesn't happen, not even by Ferguson or Benitez).

That does not make any sense and has no relevance :confused: Pitch/goalpost size are set by FIFA/UEFA and it is the job of people who take care of the pitch to make sure that the rules are met. Different leagues have different min and max pitch sizes.

The same goes for player rules - different leagues/countries have different rules and it is the job of YOU the manager to check these rules and make sure you comply with them. :rolleyes:

I think the rule was brought in last season that there must be 4 homegrown players in the match squad for league matches from BSP to Championship. I could be wrong though.

The reason I ask is because I'm playing on 10.3 and according to the rules screen this isn't a rule in the BSP. I was wondering if speople had used an edited db and this was changed in that.

That does not make any sense and has no relevance :confused: Pitch/goalpost size are set by FIFA/UEFA and it is the job of people who take care of the pitch to make sure that the rules are met. Different leagues have different min and max pitch sizes.

The same goes for player rules - different leagues/countries have different rules and it is the job of YOU the manager to check these rules and make sure you comply with them. :rolleyes:

I meant it as an analogy.

If you have been playing in 2 divisions where your squad is a-ok, you don't suddenly look 'to see if the goalposts' (rules) have been changed. Irl all the clubs are forewarned (well in advance) in correspondence etc of any future rule changes that would affect them.

It would only be polite for SI to do the same (by putting a piece of correspondence in the manager inbox) as regards drastic changes that are required from division to division if you have been promoted.

If I had been notified in writing, I could have planned in advance and got some home grown players in the squad, but as it was, it was way way way too late to do anything about it.

The reason I ask is because I'm playing on 10.3 and according to the rules screen this isn't a rule in the BSP. I was wondering if speople had used an edited db and this was changed in that.

The only parts of the DB that are edited are my team name (from FC United of Manchester) and my Chairman's name. So no the DB as such isn't modified. Just playing 10.2 so maybe it was put on 10.2 but omitted from 10.3 ???

If you have been playing in 2 divisions where your squad is a-ok, you don't suddenly look 'to see if the goalposts' (rules) have been changed. Irl all the clubs are forewarned (well in advance) in correspondence etc of any future rule changes that would affect them.

It would only be polite for SI to do the same (by putting a piece of correspondence in the manager inbox) as regards drastic changes that are required from division to division if you have been promoted.

If I had been notified in writing, I could have planned in advance and got some home grown players in the squad, but as it was, it was way way way too late to do anything about it.

Maybe you should have been notified, but the 'goalposts' haven't been moved as it was an ongoing rule that hadn't been changed. If new rules are introduced, you get a message, but with existing rules, you're not.

So a player of the game, is hardly gonna look at a new division's rules either to see if their current squad complies with them.

Why not?

If you don't check the rules then the failing is yours. Whilst Ferguson & Benitez probably don't check rules themselves they no doubt have employees within the club who are tasked with that responsibility.

I don't consider 'it' (not realising the rules until the 1st match was due to be submitted) to be my fault, I lay the blame fairly and squarely on SI's shoulders (since in the previous 2 divisions my squad was a-ok). It takes nothing to put one message in an inbox to warn/remind people about drastic new rules changes from division to division. And therefore that should be something that it coded into future releases, to be polite, if nothing else.

Yes it would be polite and probably improve gameplay to limit the problems you have faced but that doesn't take away the fact that its 100% your fault that your squad don't meet the rules of the league.

Maybe you should have been notified, but the 'goalposts' haven't been moved as it was an ongoing rule that hadn't been changed. If new rules are introduced, you get a message, but with existing rules, you're not.

The goalposts had been 'moved' relative to the 'squad' which I had been playing with for 3 years. Yes I know that many people will not have no HG players in their teams by the time they reach the BSP (on 10.2) and so it won't make such a difference in general to every player.

But for this player, it completely killed my save because I am honest enough with myself not to just cheat 4 players to HG with an FMRTE.

Why not?

If you don't check the rules then the failing is yours. Whilst Ferguson & Benitez probably don't check rules themselves they no doubt have employees within the club who are tasked with that responsibility.

I had an assistant manager, 2 scouts, and 6 coaches, and none of them let me know :mad:

The goalposts had been 'moved' relative to the 'squad' which I had been playing with for 3 years. Yes I know that many people will not have no HG players in their teams by the time they reach the BSP (on 10.2) and so it won't make such a difference in general to every player.

But for this player, it completely killed my save because I am honest enough with myself not to just cheat 4 players to HG with an FMRTE.

What I highlighted is the problem. You moved the goalposts yourself. I have just started a new game and this is a rule that was already implemented at the start of the 2009 season on 10.3. As I remember it you don't get a message telling you about the Premier League rules that come in for the 2nd season in the game.

I used them as subs, but because in general 3 midfielders require subbing at HT due to tiredness and I was 'given' 3 defenders and a striker, it means my 4 man midfeld is playing with 3 red dots, which ain't good for results no matter who you have as a keeper or strikers :mad:

And I can't use FMRTE, for the simple reason I don't believe in cheating.

Wonder how long (number of tries) it's gonna take me to go unbeaten 1st season and grab virtually every record in the BSN etc etc again now that I am 'forewarned' from experience that I will such and such in my squad for the BSP :(:(

What a wonderful statement! Sadly it is nonsense but it did make me laugh. Rules change from division to division. For instance, in the Championship you can continue to loan players after the transfer window has closed. So it really is your own fault for not checking the rules. An easy mistake to make yes. but your mistake ultimately. Furthermore doesn't your assistant let you know at the start of the new season that you need a certain number of home-grown players? Mines certainly does (although granted I am in the Premiership).

What a wonderful statement! Sadly it is nonsense but it did make me laugh. Furthermore doesn't your assistant let you know at the start of the new season that you need a certain number of home-grown players? Mines certainly does (although granted I am in the Premiership).

At least I kept my humour eh :D

As regards the assistant, no he didn't let me know.

And as regards the post just above this one now (to avoid multi quoting, don't know how to do it tbh). How can deliberately losing some games to avoid going up be regarded as cheating ? People usually cheat to deliberately win games, I'd probably be the 1st person who has 'cheated' to deliberately lose them.

• Administrators

Surely if you leave a gap on your bench that'll count as a 'non-english' player? Just have one less sub and the other three in the squad. Then go hunting homegrown!

At least I kept my humour eh :D

As regards the assistant, no he didn't let me know.

And as regards the post just above this one now (to avoid multi quoting, don't know how to do it tbh). How can deliberately losing some games to avoid going up be regarded as cheating ? People usually cheat to deliberately win games, I'd probably be the 1st person who has 'cheated' to deliberately lose them.

When I say "cheating" I meant in the context of the game of football (rather than the computer game itself). So effectively throwing matches. Obviously there is no gain for you with this - it is just a game at the end of the day.

Surely if you leave a gap on your bench that'll count as a 'non-english' player? Just have one less sub and the other three in the squad. Then go hunting homegrown!

In the BSP, you can only have 5 subs. That means that 4 homegrowns have to go in the subs slots if your team doesn't have any HG's. Which means that only 1 player of your 'choice' can be subbed onto the pitch. You can then either leave the other original players on the pitch to 'die' and they will be so tired as to be ineffective, or put on the players what have been generated for you.

In my case, I was v light on defenders in my squad. Just 5. (I play 3 CB's so with available resources, considered an extra 2 as cover to be sufficient). I had about 10-12 midfielders, so the AI looked at where I was deficient and made up the deficiency, meaning I was having to put on L R defenders (of whom I had none at all in my squad) as midfielders. And that just doesn't give good results after HT, even when leading healthily.

When I say "cheating" I meant in the context of the game of football (rather than the computer game itself). So effectively throwing matches. Obviously there is no gain for you with this - it is just a game at the end of the day.

The only 'gain' I got from it, was another stab at the 'most games unbeaten record'. Which I finally managed 2nd time around :D

• Administrators

I'm pretty certain the homegrown rule is now in all the Football Leagues in England, so all managers know they need to start stockpiling decent English players. Surely it's not impossible to find decent English BSP rated players to sign on frees?

Its a rubbish analogy, its nothing like the same thing. You went to a 'new' league, therefore it would be madness not to check the rules.

Notified in writing? What with 28 days notice and sent in triplicate and only counts if they used recorded delivery? Get over it. You're the manager its your job, not SI's, not the FA's to make sure you know the rules.

Im actually amazed you ended up with a squad where within your best 16 players there isnt 4 of them that are homegrown given the level you have been playing at. Why not just get in some loanees, can get some really good ones for bsp sides and you are allowed 5 in the matchday squad

I'm pretty certain the homegrown rule is now in all the Football Leagues in England, so all managers know they need to start stockpiling decent English players. Surely it's not impossible to find decent English BSP rated players to sign on frees?

I couldn't sign anyone.

Not only was I a fair few hundred thousand in debt, but my wage bill (for my classy european imports) was way over the limit, and therefore when I tried to sign someone on a 25 quid a week wage, and they accepted it as what they wanted, the board stepped in and said that due to the financial situation at the club they couldn't afford his wages, meaning I was still stuck with subbing R L AI generated defenders in midfield :D

Im actually amazed you ended up with a squad where within your best 16 players there isnt 4 of them that are homegrown given the level you have been playing at. Why not just get in some loanees, can get some really good ones for bsp sides and you are allowed 5 in the matchday squad

My squad consisted almost entirely of Dutch/Slovenian/Bulgarian 30 somethings who I obtained on free transfers, but whose attributes were way way above BSP level. No English players with such attributes ever wanted to sign for me, but for some reason, Dutch/Bulgarians/Slovenians do.

I couldn't sign anyone.

Not only was I a fair few hundred thousand in debt, but my wage bill (for my classy european imports) was way over the limit, and therefore when I tried to sign someone on a 25 quid a week wage, and they accepted it as what they wanted, the board stepped in and said that due to the financial situation at the club they couldn't afford his wages, meaning I was still stuck with subbing R L AI generated defenders in midfield :D

So besides the fact you failed to read the rules you also ignored your finances & wage budget but them I guess they'll be someone elses fault as well :rolleyes:

Seriously you need to start and look at what you are doing wrong rather than blaming the game all the time in your numerous threads.

My squad consisted almost entirely of Dutch/Slovenian/Bulgarian 30 somethings who I obtained on free transfers, but whose attributes were way way above BSP level. No English players with such attributes ever wanted to sign for me, but for some reason, Dutch/Bulgarians/Slovenians do.

fair enough, wasnt a criticism of how you played i was just genuinly curious as i tend to struggle to sign foreign players in the BSP, although I have 2 slovenians in the 1st year on my oxford save.

You should definately try getting some loan players in, you surrounded by a lot big teams in the north west shouldnt be too hard to bring in some quality

So besides the fact you failed to read the rules you also ignored your finances & wage budget but them I guess they'll be someone elses fault as well :rolleyes:

Seriously you need to start and look at what you are doing wrong rather than blaming the game all the time in your numerous threads.

tbf, the wage budget was something like 10k p/w, and my squad had about 12k so an extra 2k isn't much of a big deal, neither was something like 2-3 hundred thou in debt, but the board just didn't want ot even accept a 25 quid p/w player extra.

As for loan signings, I've never used them in all the years I've played. Believing whether rightly or wrongly that a player 'in essence' contracted to another club for 'experience' isn't gonna try his heart out the same as a player who is a fully paid up member of your team.

Still, as the saying goes, you live and learn. (currently 1/3 way through season 1 again, same foreigners as before, but this time I will make sure I plan ahead for the BSP)

Played 3 full seasons from tier 7 in England, to get an unbeaten lg record 1st season and then almost every record in the Blue Square North after deliberately staying down in my first season there since I missed the 'most games unbeaten' record in that division at the 1st attempt (got it 2nd season there though and won the lg).

4th season, scoured around, made my transfers etc, did my friendlies and got my team fully fit and ready.

1st lg match, WTF ??????? When I try to submit my team it suddenly says I need 4 home grown players in my match squad.

Since I have no funds left, and can't free transfer anyone in at all due to my financial situation, I am given 4 pieces of generated crap that I must put in my team (all my players the previous 3 seasons were EU, but non english), cue defeat after defeat after defeat because those pieces of crap are just way off the mark, not gelling, and therefore one abandoned save.

Why the hell isn't there ANY kind of message or warning for teams coming up into the BSP that they will need 4 home grown players in their match squad for the next season ???

For those that aren't familiar irl with the rules of such a low division, it is an EPIC failure on SI's part to just let a huge rule change (since I was able to play with NO home grown players in the previou 2 divisions) hit a player of the game without giving them one single inbox notice at the start of the BSP season (for a promoted side) as to what they will need to do in order to comply with the new rules in that division.

:thdn::thdn::thdn:

Cool story bro

A message would have been good maybe when you finish the season before needing the homegrown players your assman could notify you that you have none.

Could you not just have loaned some in from another club?

As for loan signings, I've never used them in all the years I've played. Believing whether rightly or wrongly that a player 'in essence' contracted to another club for 'experience' isn't gonna try his heart out the same as a player who is a fully paid up member of your team.

I wouldn;t say that was true. Rememebr a lot of young players will want to make a name for themselves and going on loan to a lower division is a perfect opportunity. Just look at Jermaine Defoe's exploits at Bournemouth.

I am Chelsea and I have had a loanee in each season (8 seasons). Had to loan a right-back a couple of times and have recenlty had a centre-mid - all have done really well.

Surely loaning is better than playing the 4 crap players you have had. I am sorry to say but if you refuse to loan in any players then it is simply your own fault that you continue to lose. Loan players perform the same as a contracted player, there is no difference.

Surely loaning is better than playing the 4 crap players you have had. I am sorry to say but if you refuse to loan in any players then it is simply your own fault that you continue to lose. Loan players perform the same as a contracted player, there is no difference.

never even thought of loan players tbh, so that was an epic failure on my part, however I was just so incensed at the time that I couldn't play my normal subs that loan players never entered my mind.

Still too late now, as I deleted the save.

So maybe he should have looked at the rules. But honestly, would any of you? Is checking the rules of a league you've never played in the very first thing that you do?

speople has a point, a message would be nice, especially considering you get one reminding you of the HG rules for the CL.

So maybe he should have looked at the rules. But honestly, would any of you? Is checking the rules of a league you've never played in the very first thing that you do?

speople has a point, a message would be nice, especially considering you get one reminding you of the HG rules for the CL.

Yeah I agree a message would be nice and he does have a point about that but I do check the rules at the start of the season of any league I am going in where I am not 100% familar with them as I already said further up.

I also check the rules of any league that I haven't played before. It's one of the first things I do. Check the rules and then check my squad to see if it falls within the rules. I can then plan any loans and signings for the season knowing my limits.

Maybe the title of this thread should be 'My lack of checking the rules means an abandoned 3 season save'.

Didn't the OP also mention that he never thought of using loan signings, that he threw the league so that he didn't get promoted, and that his club is thousands in debt? If he hadn't be relegated by the greyed out players he got he may have been relegated by a points deduction for administration.

What! You deleted it because of that. Ok, it may well be unfair to you, but put up with the losses until the next transfer window. Deleting the game because you are losing... Now that is cheating:rolleyes:

Deleted the save almost immediately out of anger/frustration more than anything else.

And starting the entire game again from the very beginning can hardly be classed as cheating. The only knowledge I have gained to my 'advantage' by doing so, is that I now know I must have 4 HG players for the BSP.

Quite a number of people (from reading threads) prefer to 'start again' after maybe 10-15 years at max because quality of regens gets too low. And they aren't cheating by starting again are they.

If he hadn't be relegated by the greyed out players he got he may have been relegated by a points deduction for administration.

I very much doubt that even with a points deduction that I would have got relegated. Even with greyed out players, the squad was way too good for that.

Archived