Who remembers mario jardel?!

I remember him. Great potential never fulfilled.

He never trained properly and got overweight. He should have become a great player but mentally he was lacking.

Never fulfilled? He scored 183 goals in 174 games while he was playing in the Portuguese top division.

Never fulfilled? He scored 183 goals in 174 games while he was playing in the Portuguese top division.

He also had a good start of career at Vasco (after having played for Ferroviário at youth level), and a very good one at Grêmio, even being the top goalscorer in Copa Libertadores 1995 (which Grêmio won).

He was pretty good at Galatasaray as well (2000-01).

He never impressed at the national team though.

Yeah, that's a sign of his unfulfilled potential. He played in a poor league whereas he should have been in Spain, Italy or England.

He had 7 caps for Brazil and 1 goal. That's pretty lame for a player who had the world at his feet as a teenager.

he was a great player, but I think he had problems with his wife (cheating on him), and drug problems also (sniffing the magic powder) he was never that good with the national team though, but with porto he kicked a$$

Yah played for my home town Jets, and yes was absolutely terrible. He may have done a little better with world class service, and the A-League is a little short of world class crossers. I also remember how ecsatic i was when I heard he was coming, and naturally thought great things were about to happen at his arrival. NVM he was past it and thats football. But the guy was a superstar for most of his career. One of the best headers of a football in football history. FACT.

And what a player when you got hold of him in game, unstoppable. Back when my players could head a ball :)

yeah i remeber him. before he went to Porto there was talk of him coming to my team, Glasgow Rangers, but some red tape prevented that and he went to porto. Such a shame as he would have destroyed the Scottish league.

His personal problems ruined his career. He was exceptional at Porto, was European top goalscorer with them but then when he moved abroad, he was a shadow of his former self. Never recovered and was dragging himself around all over the place.

In the game he was an awesome talent but had a habit of disrupting the team, always used to complain about something or other once in a while.

Yeah, that's a sign of his unfulfilled potential. He played in a poor league whereas he should have been in Spain, Italy or England.

He did have an "unforgettable" stint in Italy, at bottom-of-the-table Ancona...

He was only 30 when he arrived there, but he was in a sorry physical state, fat and slow... Possibly the saddes showing for a former star player [this side of Maradona's antics]

yeah i remeber him. before he went to Porto there was talk of him coming to my team, Glasgow Rangers, but some red tape prevented that and he went to porto. Such a shame as he would have destroyed the Scottish league.

I remember being at a match at Ibrox and he and his stunning wife were in the main stand.

I'm pretty sure there was, and maybe still is a Rangers Supporters Club named after her.

He was one of those players who just happened to be in the right place in the right time every time again and again. He made it look so easy to score. Also he had a very accurate finishing both with feet and head. During 95-03 I believe he scored 25+ goals each season plus he must be still one of the top goal scorers in champions league all time scorers list. If he was not a Brazilian, or if Ronaldo was not at his prime he could also become big in National team but in his days there were lots of big names for Brazilian national team forward positions.

But his end was not as good as it could be, lack of practice, not watching his weight, personal family problems.... and he is now nowhere and probably he did not even made a good use of his money.

• 4 months later...
Yah played for my home town Jets, and yes was absolutely terrible. He may have done a little better with world class service, and the A-League is a little short of world class crossers. I also remember how ecsatic i was when I heard he was coming, and naturally thought great things were about to happen at his arrival. NVM he was past it and thats football. But the guy was a superstar for most of his career. One of the best headers of a football in football history. FACT.

And what a player when you got hold of him in game, unstoppable. Back when my players could head a ball :)

Bit like Romario in the A League - too old, too slow

I remember him. Great potential never fulfilled.

He never trained properly and got overweight. He should have become a great player but mentally he was lacking.

What nonsense. He was prolific at every club he played for until he was 29 or so. Do yo think Henry failed to fulfill his potential because he started to decline at that age?

I dont know this guy but on a few youtube videos I watched he is prolific.

In his PRIME - Vasco, Gremio, Porto, Galatasaray & Sporting CP HE SCORED 297 GOALS in 325 GAMES

I know these were all in fairly crap leagues 7 maybee he had potential to do better but I think he has a very good record.

Oh my days, I just saw his name and it made me jizz my pants. He was awesome and I never see him mentioned on any of the nostalgic threads about previous games.

You saw a name and it made you jizz in your pants? I'd hate to see what you are like with a naked lady.

He is now in Cherno More in Bulgaria with lots of weight and 37 year old :D

He was already nicknamed "Lardel" at 31, I bet he's now fatter than Fat Ronaldo and Adriano (combined? ;))...

was an awesome striker... he knocked out milan in the Champs league for porto.

prolific, technically great... and in his porto days wasnt actually that lazy! he wouldnt defend but imo if you have a striker who can potentially score 25 + goals a season would you want him to defend?

If you hadn't said "oh my days" I would agree with you but NO! That screenshot brought back so many memories, that was the best football manager game ever, Praise be to CM00/01, Does anyone have 00/01 and any other previous versions going?

Archived