Bias against Brazil

Hi folks,

This is kind of awkward, but I couldn´t help to feel funny about the way the game approaches Brazilian football in terms of results, stats, etc.

First save and Brazil gets away of the WC 2010 in the first round (1st time since 1966...).

In my current save, I am managing a team in Colombia and while I was researching for a player in 2012 I came across the following information: Brazil ranked 33rd in the world. Whaaaat?

And I´m not mentioning the (obvious) bias towards England in International tournaments...

Cheers,

Tele

I know this thread is about Brazil, but I think general concensus is that if England played their strongest team then they would be a force to be reckoned with.

England's problem most of the time is cracking under pressure, and not doing the simple things right. You could argue that all this is down to the pressure, we as fans, put on our team.

Maybe FM needs international hidden facts too :D

What leagues have you got loaded? If the Brazilian league isn't loaded up then there aren't going to loads of Brazilian players coming through and they will drop down the rankings. England tend to win competitions on a lot of peoples games as they have the English leagues loaded up and not many other leagues so there aren't the players available for the other nations.

It depends on the leagues/players loaded.

Most FM'ers load English leagues, thus giving England a much bigger talent pool.

In my current save I used a .ddt file retaining all Brazilian Premier Division players, and the game is literally FLOODED with Brazilian players, from Top Clubs to 2nd Division clubs... If anything, I feel most Brazilian players are a bit overrated...

So I guess it has more to do with the amount of players/newgens available than with actual bias.

Hey guys,

In those saves I loaded all the South American Leagues are available, and that´s it.

No English Leagues.

England went on to be runner-up of WC10, losing to Spain.

Argentina (to my dismay jaja) rules South America.

I am pretty sure there is some unpredictability on how the games will be played out from save to save, but in my experience so far, as always has been the case with FM series, England is overrated despite loading its leagues.

And in FM10, Brazil is a bit underrated.

Another thing that annoyed me a bit which is related to loading or not leagues is that while the teams I manage (I brought a team out of Brazil´s 2nd division to the 1st and then was hired to manage a traditional team in Colombia which has been largely unsuccesful in the last two decades) are flooded with transfer requests from mid-forces in Europe such as Russian and Dutch mid-table teams the big names in South American football are still around playing for the leading teams of the Continent.

So, for instance...Kleber, from Cruzeiro, is already at the Brazil National Team and still playing in Brazil, and the list goes on and on. Pretty unrealistic tbh. I am sure Kleber and many other will have a market in Europe before 2013, the year I am playing.

If I struggle to keep talent around, why don´t they?

Musings of a FM man.

i dont think england is overated in the game, and if you load brazilian leagues, usually brazil have good results. Tactics used by brazilian managers dont translate that well in the ME tough.

but the "general consesus" you talk about is the general consesus IN ENGLAND, not in the rest of the world. Don't you think there's a lot of pressure on brazilian side?

i dont think england is overated in the game, and if you load brazilian leagues, usually brazil have good results. Tactics used by brazilian managers dont translate that well in the ME tough.

but the "general consesus" you talk about is the general consesus IN ENGLAND, not in the rest of the world. Don't you think there's a lot of pressure on brazilian side?

Good point.England fans think their team is the only team under pressure.All "big" nation's football teams are under big pressure to perform.The fact is they're just not as good as they're made out to be.

Anyway back on point.as said above it's down to the leagues you have running.I'm running the Brazilian Serie A so they're among the best in the world in my game.

brazil and italy went out of the world cup in the group stage on my game. not really looked at rankings or other results for brazil england lost in the quarters of the world cup to portugal (surprise there lol) and lost in the group stage ar euro 2012. Fabio Capello has just been sacked lol

In my save Muricy has been called for the National Team, after the last Copa America. He´s famous in Brazil for winning ugly. However, this year irl his team in the Brazilian Serie A played ugly and he didn´t win lol.

For me, it comes down to this...Brazil played 19 WCs and in 3 of those it was eliminated in the group stage. 2 of those were the first tournaments.

It´s pretty odd that it would happen commonly in FM with me, and even in U20 tournaments as well.

The "pressure" on Brazil usually happens from the quarterfinals on, as we all remember 2006 (or when we face France lol).

Yet, next year IRL will be fun, Brazil has a though group.

I didn´t register the stats, but the amount of times in my saves from FM 2008 on where England either won or reached the final of the World Cup is noticeable. I´d guess 1 every 3 times. So, yes, I think England is a bit overrated in the game (regardless of me loading or not the English Leagues - usually when I do so, I play all the major European plus Brazil and Argentina as well). Or the English style is fitting for the ME, as pointed out ;-).

In my game Brazil came 3rd in the 2010 WC and i won as England by beating France even with having the semi finals go to penalties - figured i was going out when that happened :p

Although i've played 3 friendlies against Brazil as i wanted to beat them a few times and i've beaten them twice with the third game being a fantastic 3-3 draw with them equalising in the 90'th minute)

Hi folks,

This is kind of awkward, but I couldn´t help to feel funny about the way the game approaches Brazilian football in terms of results, stats, etc.

First save and Brazil gets away of the WC 2010 in the first round (1st time since 1966...).

In my current save, I am managing a team in Colombia and while I was researching for a player in 2012 I came across the following information: Brazil ranked 33rd in the world. Whaaaat?

And I´m not mentioning the (obvious) bias towards England in International tournaments...

Cheers,

Tele

Look at the 2219 thread. If the game was biased towards England, then the Scottish national team would never have a chance of winning the world cup once because of the rivalry between the nations, let alone 4 times England winning it 3 times including 66.

ok just had a look on my saved game in 2012. Brazil are down to 26th in the world behind the likes of bosnia, morocco, finland and peru. so i had a look in depth to see why.

strangely they have only lost 1 game since the start of my game. that came against france at the 2010 world cup in the group stage and eliminated them from the competition.

Dunga got the boot and Muricy (i think) got the job. In the 2011 Copa America, Brazil won the competition beating Colombia in the final on penalties.

The strange thing is what has happened since then. we all know that Brazil host the world cup in 2014 so have no qualifying games. In 2012 their only game was in february when they played Australia. Their next game is against Slovakia in a friendly in 2013. No more games are yet arranged beyond that.

So SI why are Brazil, the most feared international team on the planet only got 2 games in 2 years?!?!? at least i know now why they are so low and it wont surprise me if they keep going down

I back the statement on bias within the game and would like to agree that there is NO consensus that England would be a major force if they played their strongest team. What team?? I couldn't see past maybe 4 players making a move to a major International team or to be capped by another International side if they weren't English. Time and again the Premiership signs foreigners because they are cheaper and because they provide better potential. There are some fantastic English players unfortunately there is so much weight of expectation put on them that they end up failing abysmally. Also I personally feel that it would help the national side if some of their players went abroad. Beckham, Ince, Gascoigne, Walker, Platt (to name a few) all gained unimaginable experience by playing in another country. Further proof of why the National team is coached by a foreigner. Even more proof of why Roy Hodgeson is so highly rated among the football community.

As for Brazil, maybe they are playing with a team of partylovers who simply play to a different beat (Me thinking Robinho, Ronaldinho and a long etc).

Wardog,

Then I´d either have to rest my case or expand the notion of bias to British football as a whole :-). SI must have some Scottish programmers, agree?

Anyways, I´m just having fun with a game I love by exposing some of the unrealistic historical accounts of the future - that sounded odd - it produces.

Brazil being ranked 32 in the world is really funny...as well as England winning the amount of International tournaments it does since I acquired my first FM in 2007.

Cheers,

Tele

...as well as England winning the amount of International tournaments it does since I acquired my first FM in 2007.

This have been present in FM/CM for a long time, I play since CM2. English Team always very competitive in international competitions and winning on a regular basis while in real life all what they got was a title won more than 50 years ago at home with a very controversial goal. Before I start a new game I adjust England attributes in the editor to fix this problem.

Brazil have won two consecutive World Cups in my game (2010 & 2014) with Spain being runners up each time. Being that Brazil haven't done this in real life for 60 odd years I will edit their attributes to fix this problem.

Similarly Scotland were runners up in Euro 2012, with the winners being Portugal. Neither have managed to do this in real life so again, thinking as a Brazilian FMer does, I will edit their attributes to fit my idea of the footballing world.

Guys,

Let´s keep this thread in a good mood...I suppose we could edit many issues on the game, but actually I do have fun with its issues (when they´re not blatant and don´t harm my gaming experience anyway).

But bigwills88, your point is not so obvious. As a matter of fact, Brazil has been in 3 consecutive WC finals in the last 4 events, so that´s pretty much a powerhouse, isn´t it?

Argentina which is arguably the superpower in terms of quantity of good players hasn´t been close, and yet performs very well in FM series.

Finally, England actually is well-rated from my game experience, and Brazil, which lost Copa America many times to an Argentinean side and even Colombian side that IRL haven´t been able for a while to prevail, if anything, should be edited upwards.

Cheers, peace and play,

Tele

To be fair england have always been better in the fm series even back as far as fm06 as I remeber the quickest way to become a wc manager was to manager england and win the world cup which done and that was with darius vassell upfront. I did get a lot of flak for managing them being irish but its a game and i wanted to be the best.

This have been present in FM/CM for a long time, I play since CM2. English Team always very competitive in international competitions and winning on a regular basis while in real life all what they got was a title won more than 50 years ago at home with a very controversial goal. Before I start a new game I adjust England attributes in the editor to fix this problem.

We won by 2 clear goals and it was 43 years ago. I agree England are over-rated, but at least get your facts straight before you have a go.

The problem isn't how the English/Brazilian players are rated at club level - although all English keepers are overrated (although some players are way overrated, as by playing regularly in the premiership does not make you automatically a 130+ CA player :( - as the standard of the Premiership has fallen badly in recent years) but how the match engine does international football.

Unfortunately there is no rating for International performance (like there is a Important Match attribute) which can improve/reduce a performance to what it should be - if there was then international football could begin to be rated correctly. But as it is your Gerrards, Lampards etc are playing for England as well as they are for their clubs because that is what there is to work with. This is wrong, as Club Football and International Football are by far two different kettle of fish, as has been proven for about 100 years

• 1 month later...

I managed England in the 2014 WC. We were ranked #1. Brazil was ranked 44th, yet oddly enough Brazil were the favorites.

After the WC, Brazil rose to 20th or so (lost in quarterfinals I believe), but then a few months later they were back in the 30s.

The game severely underrates Dunga thats why they do bad in 2010. There is no reason that lack of depth (because you didn't load the Brazilian league) would affect Brazil in the 2010 WC. That is only one season into the game.

I've managed Brazil after 2010 and I've had to make massive friendlies (mostly with African or Asian nations) to just get some games in. But when the AI manages Brazil they don't make any friendlies at all.

That doesn't make any sense. You "adjust" their attributes to make them less competitive...?

Granted, they haven't won a world cup in 40 years. But how many other countries have that have good national sides? :confused:

Despite what you may think, England are a good side and have some of the world's best players (Rooney, Gerrard, Terry, etc etc etc), and they are a competitive team and usually do well (despite them being dubbed notorious underachievers). If your definition of them doing well is winning a world cup every four years then please, by all means, edit every country...

Have fun with your fantasy game.

Archived