A.C. Milan relegated

Realistically, that could happen. Anything could happen by 2016 to be honest as it's 7 years away. I can't imagine many people would've predicted Newcastle in the Championship, Luton out of the Football League, or a very old example - Pro Vercelli in Serie C2.

But A.C. Milan?

At the moment, A.C. Milan are doing very well, but they always seem to start the season poorly. They also have an aging squad that they never seem to replace and they have an inexperienced manager. I'm not saying they will definitely struggle, but it could be a possibility in the future.

Not surprised. Rafa is a shambles

To be fair, thats a bit of a completely untrue comment.

He twice took a completely unfancied Valencia team to the La Liga title and also won the UEFA cup with them. He led Liverpool to the Champions League in his first season, won the F.A. Cup the next season, then took the to the Champions League final the season after. He is an exceptional tactician and I really think you need to learn to think before you speak.

And before anyone asks, I support Newcastle United.

Realistically, that could happen. Anything could happen by 2016 to be honest as it's 7 years away. I can't imagine many people would've predicted Newcastle in the Championship, Luton out of the Football League, or a very old example - Pro Vercelli in Serie C2.

You are seriously comparing one of the bigest teams in world football to Newcastle being relegated or Luton dropping out of the football league?

Please, that is utterly ridiculous to even mention these in the same breath.

For AC to get relegated 7 years from now would be more like Arsenal dropping out of the PL in 7 years from now, not Newcastle who were an absolute **** poor team and have been for years. I mean come one, Ameobi? And don't even say he is now scoring in the c'ship because he has proved time and time again he can't cut it in the PL.

This is clearly an issue IMO. Shouldn't happen if the game is to be 'realistic'.....

You are seriously comparing one of the bigest teams in world football to Newcastle being relegated or Luton dropping out of the football league?

For AC to get relegated 7 years from now would be more like Arsenal dropping out of the PL in 7 years from now, not Newcastle who were an absolute **** poor team and have been for years. I mean come one, Ameobi? And don't even say he is now scoring in the c'ship because he has proved time and time again he can't cut it in the PL.

This is clearly an issue IMO. Shouldn't happen if the game is to be 'realistic'.....

To be fair I was just using it as an example. But the other team in my example deserves to be 'mentioned in the same breath.' Pro Vercelli were one of the biggest teams in the world many years ago, and there decline was extremely sudden.

Seven years is a very long time in football, and as I said Milan have many problems behind the scenes, as well as having an aging squad.

Only from Serie A though...

Check who was two points from falling completely out of league football on mine... :D

arnal.jpg

Well that there was a simplistic and fun game. How I miss those days. Still FM07 is much better.

Me happen in FM05 and FM07. The first was Porto relegated, after series of several series. On FM07 was Man United it was relegated by 2012. Alex Fergusson retired by 2009, since then was downhill. Steve Bryce (i think that is the correct name) worked secretly for chelsea, he sold every good player the Man United had.

After two years in Coke-Cola Championship for second year they offered me job. Got them promoted in that same year and got uefa position two years after that. Fun game.

This is the reason I remove debt from major clubs and all the clubs in whatever country I'm in. After a few years the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, Milan and maybe Inter in this years game are all skint. That's fine if you want to see big changes in the game world, but personally I want to play against these big teams.

Milan are likely to fall into Serie C1 in my game. I'm in 2034 at the moment. They've been bumbling around in Serie B's mid-table for around a decade now, with a very good squad for that division but always underperforming. Now we're halfway through the season and they're 8 points from safety, bottom of Serie B with 8 points. They're 5 points behind 23rd.

Inter fans can afford to laugh despite not having much fun themselves, perennial mid-table Serie A finishers.

Less funny is the fact that Juventus are the second-best team in Italy, way ahead of Inter, delivering spankings to them every now and then.

In my current AC Milan save midway through season 4 and Inter currently sit in 12 place in Serie A and look like the could even be relegated if there abysmal performances continue. I'm secretly hoping they do get relegated so i can finally prise Santon away from them. :)

I'm playing FM10 with patch 10.1.1 and Newcastle. Season 2011-2012 ManUtd is strugling on position 17 after 10 matches of season. Don't know which is grazier that ManUtd try to avoid relegation or that Newcastle is leading premierleague. This FM10 can be hilarious sometimes. :)

To be fair I was just using it as an example. But the other team in my example deserves to be 'mentioned in the same breath.' Pro Vercelli were one of the biggest teams in the world many years ago, and there decline was extremely sudden.

Seven years is a very long time in football, and as I said Milan have many problems behind the scenes, as well as having an aging squad.

Its interesting as 7 years is a long time in football! 7 years ago, Newcastle were finishing 3rd and were in the champions league, so perhaps it isn't that strange at all is it Leeds Leeds Leeds? Speaking of Leeds, where were they 7 years ago? Thats right, the premier league and looking good. Now? Well i wont elaborate on that!

This is the reason I remove debt from major clubs and all the clubs in whatever country I'm in. After a few years the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, Milan and maybe Inter in this years game are all skint. That's fine if you want to see big changes in the game world, but personally I want to play against these big teams.

I've tried to remove debt before and it didnt work...when i would start a new game with the new database, the clubs would still have their debt...

Its interesting as 7 years is a long time in football! 7 years ago, Newcastle were finishing 3rd and were in the champions league, so perhaps it isn't that strange at all is it Leeds Leeds Leeds? Speaking of Leeds, where were they 7 years ago? Thats right, the premier league and looking good. Now? Well i wont elaborate on that!

Yes you have a point but again, comparing Leeds fall from grace or even Newcastle to Milan is ridiculous still.

When Leeds and Newcastle were in the CL it was considered a massive achievement for both teams. It is EXPECTED of teams such as AC, Arsenal, Man Utd etc to qualify for Europe and probably CL at least.

Everton qualified for the CL not long ago, does that mean they should be mentioned in the same breath as AC? In my opinion definitely not. If Everton were to be relegated would everyone be massively shocked or would they say well they were never heavyweights anyway? AC are heavyweights in every sense and to see them relegated 7 years from now would be a massive story. In FM it seems these massive stories are popping up all too often....

Milan are likely to fall into Serie C1 in my game. I'm in 2034 at the moment. They've been bumbling around in Serie B's mid-table for around a decade now, with a very good squad for that division but always underperforming. Now we're halfway through the season and they're 8 points from safety, bottom of Serie B with 8 points. They're 5 points behind 23rd.

Inter fans can afford to laugh despite not having much fun themselves, perennial mid-table Serie A finishers.

Less funny is the fact that Juventus are the second-best team in Italy, way ahead of Inter, delivering spankings to them every now and then.

Hm so I don't really have to play Juve for a few seasons to make sure they become world class again, seeing in different games they win CL by themselves etc. But teams like Milan falling divisions I have never seen this happening, the biggest team I saw droppign in FM09 was Lazio and they were back in a season. Personally I like change of command because teams spent TONS of cash for players and get the hammer suddenly. But Milan has like a huge stadium, how can they actually lose money, even with buying world class players every year? I smell Berlusconi must have died somewhere in that game (which is good) !

You make a good point Leto, while I am saying it is unrealistic, I do love to see a change of command too.

I remember playing FM07 and a saved game I had with Farsley, saw me in the PL. Bristol Rovers were flying in the PL, Man Utd were struggling in the C'ship (shame) and Middlesbrough were in the conference.

Chelsea were a powerhouse of a team and they provided about 50% of Scotland's squad, making Scotland perform very well in major tournaments.

All this was great and I really enjoyed it, however back on FM10 this doesn't really go with the 'realistic' ambitions of SI to see AC relegated within 7 seasons. Especially as it isn't a one off. Man Utd are shocking in every one of my games, lets face it that just isn't going to happen is it. As much as I love it it just won't happen.

I remember saying on 07 that when scum, I mean Man utd, were struggling that it was unrealistic. Some people argued that in 4-5 seasons you never know IRL!! Not far off that now and we are hardly seeing them struggle.

Yes you have a point but again, comparing Leeds fall from grace or even Newcastle to Milan is ridiculous still.

When Leeds and Newcastle were in the CL it was considered a massive achievement for both teams. It is EXPECTED of teams such as AC, Arsenal, Man Utd etc to qualify for Europe and probably CL at least.

Everton qualified for the CL not long ago, does that mean they should be mentioned in the same breath as AC? In my opinion definitely not. If Everton were to be relegated would everyone be massively shocked or would they say well they were never heavyweights anyway? AC are heavyweights in every sense and to see them relegated 7 years from now would be a massive story. In FM it seems these massive stories are popping up all too often....

In FM these stories pop up all too often because there are thousands of FMers playing an individual game, whereas IRL only one series of events is happening. I'm pretty sure at least one big shock will happen in world football over the next 7 years.

Also, I agree with your points about AC Milan being relegated is a bigger story than other examples given, but I think the users providing those examples were stating that it could feasibly happen, rather than it being a likely event.

It's not a question of being realistic, it's just how random stuff works.

The way FM works there has to be some random element built in to the performance of all teams, where-ever they might happen to start and how-ever they happen to be. The alternative would be for the devs to have hard coded something in which would make it impossible for certain teams to get relegated, and I can't see that they'd ever do that.

The nature of random scenarios is such that if there's a chance of a particular outcome happening (such as AC Milan getting relegated), however small the chance might actually be, then probability theory states that if you play the same scenario enough times, then inevitably that particular outcome will occur eventually on someones game.

So AC Milan might have something like a 0.5% chance of actually being relegated in game, but as we have thousands of people playing the game it's inevitable that on someones game, they will get relegated.

They would only never get relegated if there was zero chance of it ever happening, i.e. something was coded in to the game to make it impossible.

Edit - i see wills1987 made a similar point as I was writing my post ;)

if everton were relegated it would be a shock really as they are the second longest top flight club in england behind arsenal.

Arsenal have not won a thing for a few years so does this mean they are now rubbish - liverpool have not won the prem league so are they rubbish.

at the end of the day ANY team can be relegated it is the world of football, just because you are or were a big team does not mean you will never get relegated.

To see Milan and Man Utd get relegated is really unrealistic IMO. You cannot compare Leeds and Newcastle with a team that has won 7 Champions Leagues, and is the mos successful club in history along with Boca Juniors. For the last 30 years or so Milan has really dominated Europe, they are less successful in Italy, but they have played in 11 Champions League Finals, winning 7, and only in the last decade they played 3 finals, winning 2. So it is completely unrealistic.

In my save they are struggling in Serie A, for a mid-table position. I'm in the beginning of 2015-2016 season. IRL they have struggled in the beginning of the season, because of new manager, new tactics, new philosophy and the sale of Kaka and the retirement of Paolo Maldini. Because of the debts, they couldn't afford to buy the players they needed, but they have Thiago Silva and Nesta in defense, a fired-up Ronaldinho, the Golden Boy Pato, the creativity of Pirlo etc. So i can't see they struggle, especially in Champions League, which is their biggest aim. In the game they have sacked Leonardo, Van Basten and now their manager is Franck Riijkard. Man Utd are struggling too, 8th last season despite having players like David Silva, Rooney, Rossi etc, and have loads of money. SI have to take a look at these teams, because it makes the game less enjoyable without these teams in Champions League.

It's not a question of being realistic, it's just how random stuff works.

The way FM works there has to be some random element built in to the performance of all teams, where-ever they might happen to start and how-ever they happen to be. The alternative would be for the devs to have hard coded something in which would make it impossible for certain teams to get relegated, and I can't see that they'd ever do that.

The nature of random scenarios is such that if there's a chance of a particular outcome happening (such as AC Milan getting relegated), however small the chance might actually be, then probability theory states that if you play the same scenario enough times, then inevitably that particular outcome will occur eventually on someones game.

So AC Milan might have something like a 0.5% chance of actually being relegated in game, but as we have thousands of people playing the game it's inevitable that on someones game, they will get relegated.

They would only never get relegated if there was zero chance of it ever happening, i.e. something was coded in to the game to make it impossible.

Edit - i see wills1987 made a similar point as I was writing my post ;)

Yes and if you notice, I said it happens all too often.......EVERY game I play Man Utd are shocking within 3-4 seasons. Big teams are dropping like flies on lots of people's games so to use the old 'millions of games bound to happen in one' argument would be sensible if it was a freak occurence every now and then - however it isn't is it?

Yes and if you notice, I said it happens all too often.......EVERY game I play Man Utd are shocking within 3-4 seasons. Big teams are dropping like flies on lots of people's games so to use the old 'millions of games bound to happen in one' argument would be sensible if it was a freak occurence every now and then - however it isn't is it?

I can't really comment on whether or not this sort of thing happens too often as I've not noticed it being a problem in my games. I've not had any of the big premier league teams being relegated on my games within the first 8-9 seasons, for example.

Lucky you!

Go through the forums and you will see a lot of people mentioning this.

As I said it doesn't bother me as such, I just know that SI are looking for realism, and for this to happen so often is not realistic.

I have said time and time again that this is SI's 6th attempt at getting this version of the game right. This is remember a 'polished version' of the game, not a whole new set up. So if it is polished, we have had 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 10.0 and 10.1. How on earth can a company with such expertise and experience in this field still be having silly problems like closing down, long shots and others like this after 6 attempts? I'd be fired by now if I hadn't sorted a problem after over a year lol!

Lucky you!

Go through the forums and you will see a lot of people mentioning this.

As I said it doesn't bother me as such, I just know that SI are looking for realism, and for this to happen so often is not realistic.

I have said time and time again that this is SI's 6th attempt at getting this version of the game right. This is remember a 'polished version' of the game, not a whole new set up. So if it is polished, we have had 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 10.0 and 10.1. How on earth can a company with such expertise and experience in this field still be having silly problems like closing down, long shots and others like this after 6 attempts? I'd be fired by now if I hadn't sorted a problem after over a year lol!

I disagree that big teams turning rubbish on some people's saves means that the game isn't "realistic", or that this is even a problem. For a start, we're talking about predicting the future here so it's impossible for anyone to really say what is or isn't a realistic projection as to how certain football teams will fare in 5-10 years time, and secondly I personally quite like the fact that certain teams fall off while others become more dominant - it makes the leagues more interesting for me.

Besides, the idea of the game being "realistic" doesn't really square with the fact that the whole point of playing the game for many people is to take a currently fairly crap/mediocre team and turn them into League/European champions over several seasons. It isn't realistic for me to win the Premier League with York City, but I've still every intention of doing it!

I disagree that big teams turning rubbish on some people's saves means that the game isn't "realistic", or that this is even a problem. For a start, we're talking about predicting the future here so it's impossible for anyone to really say what is or isn't a realistic projection as to how certain football teams will fare in 5-10 years time, and secondly I personally quite like the fact that certain teams fall off while others become more dominant - it makes the leagues more interesting for me.

Besides, the idea of the game being "realistic" doesn't really square with the fact that the whole point of playing the game for many people is to take a currently fairly crap/mediocre team and turn them into League/European champions over several seasons. It isn't realistic for me to win the Premier League with York City, but I've still every intention of doing it!

I didn't say I didn't like it happening either, in fact I said I agree with you and I do like the fact it happens?? :confused:

I also always try to take a crap team to the top but sometimes it is all too easy.

Also it isn't just happening in 'some people's games'. It is happening quite a lot throughout loads of games. I didn't say the game should be realistic, SI did! I asked them via twitter if the game was going to have a few more 'fun' elements such as hidden gems etc. (e.g. Mark Collis). They replied saying they were striving for realism and if someone wanted fun then they should play another game.......this is realism is it?

Again I will offer you a bet as I did with another user, you are saying nobody can predict the future, I agree of course. I am willing to bet about £5000 that in 3-4 years neither AC, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Inter, Juve or even Villa have been relegated due to poor form. Interested? If you are we can draw up a contract :)

I didn't say I didn't like it happening either, in fact I said I agree with you and I do like the fact it happens?? :confused:

I also always try to take a crap team to the top but sometimes it is all too easy.

Also it isn't just happening in 'some people's games'. It is happening quite a lot throughout loads of games. I didn't say the game should be realistic, SI did! I asked them via twitter if the game was going to have a few more 'fun' elements such as hidden gems etc. (e.g. Mark Collis). They replied saying they were striving for realism and if someone wanted fun then they should play another game.......this is realism is it?

Again I will offer you a bet as I did with another user, you are saying nobody can predict the future, I agree of course. I am willing to bet about £5000 that in 3-4 years neither AC, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Inter, Juve or even Villa have been relegated due to poor form. Interested? If you are we can draw up a contract :)

Whether or not various teams do actually get relegated in real life isn't really relevant to the fact that they might get relegated in some people's games of FM10 though. It's comparing a one off real life situation to the fact that there are a range of possible outcomes when a simulation of that scenario is repeated many times in game.

Your real argument seem to be that unlikely outcomes with big teams getting relegated happens far to often in game, but I've personally not seen any evidence to support this - not even in terms of forums posts although you've said that this has been brought up many times (and I have just checked and couldn't really find any reference to this). Is there any actual data on this?

Archived