Does anyone enjoy the stupid Press Conferences?

actually this feature is amazing..! i agree, some questions are boring and appear almost always, but the conferences are still interesting..

one idea.. (dunno, maybe it is in the game, but i haven't noticed) - press conference after big signing..! for example, if RM would sign Ronaldo in game..

I think its a good idea in principle, it obviously happens in real life management so taking it out of the game wouldn't improve its realism? It needs to be made more complex somehow because i feel like most other people, that over time it gets mind numbingly dull.

More questions, less repetition, more options to reply with and stir up controversy, more accurate questions about transfer targets instead of about some GK that I am NEVER going to sign, get it, NEVER!

Currently so so tedious!

How about.

Three options - High, medium and low press activity. That way we could all get the experience we require.

The problem with so much of the game is that you get a whole 'bill of goods'. Choics in 'options' or at the start of the game would help taylor the game more to what the individual player needs.

Press conferences should not be axed, as they are a very real part of a real football manager's life (particularly at the top-end of the game).

If you think about it, a EPL manager has to do pre-match and post-match press conferences as part of the broadcasting deals, so we actually should have more press conferences at some levels of the game.

Obviously they do need significant adjustment. Firstly, they should be less about "if I answer it in this way, how will player X respond". Mostly people go for 'unatural' or 'neutral' answers because they don't want to risk the far too heavily penalities that can happen from the more extreme responses.

Impact on morale etc from press conferences and media comments are too high in my opinion. There is so much garbage in the media in real life that I suspect most players pay very limited attention to what is being said. Comments made by the manager directly to players through more player interaction options would be a better way to get some of the effects that are currently controlled through press conferences.

You get questions regarding possible transfer targets which is pretty realistic i suppose.

And even when you categorically state you're not interested in the player, you still get linked with him in future transfer rumours and then still get asked about him in future press conferences... seems a bit darft.

I don't necessarily mind the press conferences; I'm glad they're not before and after every game, but every 2-3 games, as we get them now, seems about the right balance to me. They just need to be quite a bit more intelligent and there needs to be a hugely wider range of questions, and if these questions were asked depending on things you actually did in the game (changed tactics around on a regular basis, made what is a big-money signing for your club, achieved something far and above expectations, had a particularly bad injury situation, hired new backroom staff).

And another one; why don't I ever get asked about players I've bid for / offered a contract to where I'm told that has got out into the media?! It's out there but the media seems strangely uninterested in asking me about it!

Another idea, and something that others have said, is that you have a Press Conference when you resign or are sacked from a club.

Your responses in that Press Conference could go a long way to dictating if you stay on the clubs Legend / Favoured Personnel status, rather than dropping off it completely (i.e. with your responses specifically about the club, not about the Chairman, although perhaps responses about him would still affect your status a little, as he is the top dog there after all).

At least this way, you get a large influence as to whether you part on good terms or not.

I agree that Press Conferences should be in the game, and it actually is realistic that they are this repetitive, think about it!

But they just are no fun the way they are now.

There have been some good suggestions in this thread, so I think Press Conferences should be a lot more diverse.

More about signings, actual rumors with players in your shortlist.

For every new signing you make you should get at least one question, depending on age/price:

- You signed 15 year old NAME. Do you really think it is appropriate to pay 5 million € for a child?

- New signing C. Ronaldo is the most expensive player in the world after his 100 million move to your club? Surely there is no way one player is worth this much money?

- You signed 29 year old goalkeeper NAME on a free transfer. What role will he play in your upcoming season?

Other situations:

- Your team is plagued by injuries, what do you say to people who claim that your training is a major contributing factor?

- You won the league with x games left to play. Will you use this opportunity to let players not normally considered starters show off their talent?

- In the off-season you sold player X, a fan-favorite, do you think this was wise?

Also comment on Champions-League or EURO League results, your players being called up for the first time or not being called up for the senior teams.

Your country winning the world cup or a youth competition, your rivals being promoted/relegated.

Also press conferences at the start/end of a season, some predictions or a look back.

People are so quick to dismiss new features. Lets not forget that this is the first year press conferences have been introduced. I seem to remember on release, the press conferences were before and after every game so at least they have been toned down. Im sure this is one aspect that will be improved in the next FM.

This feature is in its first year. I am sure that with more diverse questions/answers available, this can be one of FM's top features-just like the 3D (which I, also, so far have found to be very good-who really expected FIFA graphics and gameplay?)

The press conferences are incredibly boring atm, but I reckon that they could be easily improved. As baker.simon said above, it was unlikely they'd be a mind-blowing addition in their first year. The idea itself has a lot of potential, and SI are smart enough to realise that it needs improving

and the one at the beginning of the game I just storm out.

Really? I never thought of doing that. How did the board react to you doing this? I'll have to try that.

The questions are almost always the same, I only attend to them when I'm a national manager, and still they are too repetitive. Every time the questions are about the posture the team will take in the match,if you think the opposition will have any tactical surprise, if you think you have a good chance and so on. SI should improve this

I hate the press conferences with a vengence. On my Blue Square North save I got sick of being asked "who do you think will win world player of the year?"

Why the fudge would they ask the Blyth Spartans manager that, and why would he care???

During my current Arsenal save I had to attend them all at first as Pat Rice often said bad things. Now that he retired I brought in Tony Adams and he seems to handle the press very well so I don't pay anymore attention to the press conferences. :) I truly do hate them! I always have to pay attention to how my assistants handle them, if they are bad I have to attend it if they are good I let them take care of it. One thing no one of them can seem to handle is teamtalk though.

At first it was all great, seeing as it's a thing I've wanted for some time in the game. But maybe sometimes wishes should just remain dreams as it becomes so boring and just gets repeated over and over again, year after year. It's only fun once or twice when the journalist ask the same question twice, I usually storm out cursing. :D At least it's fun the first few times when you get a funny news article after the conference.

If they can manage to make it much deeper with more questions and better answers to choose from (some make no sense!) it could be great. If they can't do it, I think they should remove it in the future. Oh and can I say I hate the question if I was pleased with the team performance. As I'm managing them and I see they are playing great, but still lost in ET or penalties. I say at the conference that I was pleased with the effort...my players hated me for saying that. Now if they can include a reason why I thought so (as me writing it has no effect) it would be better so that the players actually get it, and don't think I like loosing.

because it wastes time

It only wastes time because it is somewhat basic at the moment. If it is improved to make it a vital and enjoyable part of the game then it's not a waste of time is it.

Not everything that is broken is worthless and nothing makes progress by giving up when the first attempt is not up to scratch.

A lot of people would like to see more varied questions, that are more relevant and interesting, plus better answer options.

For everyone else a 'send AM until further notice' option would act as an off switch, provided the AM gives neutral answers - which is how it should work now.

That's a good solution for everyone, whatever your feelings on the press conference. Far better than just axing it after one version.

Tony Adams didn't seem too comfortable with the press conferences, he was awful at them. Steve Coppell didn't seem too fond of them either.

Some of the best managers like Fergie, Rafa and Mourinho seem to thrive in them though.

They can be used to your advantage though, it might just be a coincidence but my Nantwich Town team are not that good we got hammered by Man City 3-0 and played crap. I actually attended the press conference and slated the whole team saying how angry I was, next match we beat Man Utd who are 4th 5-1 we were 10th at the time. I know other factors must have been in play but for the team to come out after a defeat and whoop one of the big teams the press conference must have played apart or am I completely wrong?

People are so quick to dismiss new features. Lets not forget that this is the first year press conferences have been introduced. I seem to remember on release, the press conferences were before and after every game so at least they have been toned down. Im sure this is one aspect that will be improved in the next FM.

Well SI's track record isn't very good when it comes to things like this - look at team talks, media comments etc. they are essentially the exact same thing as when they were first introduced.. they sucked then and still suck now

How long have regens been in the game? They're not working yet.

It took them until FM08 patch 1 to fix the stuttering 2d pitch, and then they broke it again for 09.

How many times has the transfer system been revamped and ended up with the same unrealistic transfer dealings?

Team talks have been damaged since they've been in the game, one way or another.

Basically, if SI bring in a new feature, expect it to suck for at least 3 versions of the game.

I think these Press Conferences should just be used when you sign a new contract, Move to manage a new club/nation, sign a world class player, or even when you or a star player in your side retires. Also lets not forget Cup finals and important club games.

They can be used to your advantage though, it might just be a coincidence but my Nantwich Town team are not that good we got hammered by Man City 3-0 and played crap. I actually attended the press conference and slated the whole team saying how angry I was, next match we beat Man Utd who are 4th 5-1 we were 10th at the time. I know other factors must have been in play but for the team to come out after a defeat and whoop one of the big teams the press conference must have played apart or am I completely wrong?

That's just another reason why I hate the press conferences so much, they act as some kind of "power up" making average players perform above expectation.

eg. I gave a press conference saying I thought we'd win or something one of my forwards (whose pace is 5) reacted well and all of a sudden he is out pacing defenders with over double his pace and acceleration. How does that mimmick real life? SI try to make the game realistic ( which will NEVER happen ) and then give such a generic horrible powerboost.

And another thing why would a team sitting top of the league react badly to their manager saying he expects a win against a team two divisions lower?

Another idea, and something that others have said, is that you have a Press Conference when you resign or are sacked from a club.

I don't think a manager that gets sacked does a press conference. The club yes, but not the manager

I quite like the press conferences when you take over as manager at a club but all the others are tedious and annoying but I definitely don't want the feature to go, they should just improve it with much more variety of questions.

How long have regens been in the game? They're not working yet.

It took them until FM08 patch 1 to fix the stuttering 2d pitch, and then they broke it again for 09.

How many times has the transfer system been revamped and ended up with the same unrealistic transfer dealings?

Team talks have been damaged since they've been in the game, one way or another.

Basically, if SI bring in a new feature, expect it to suck for at least 3 versions of the game.

Why bother playing the game then ???

I don't for the most part. I love how you think however that somehow that should bar me from offering an opinion on the game.

Brilliantly logical thinking there :thup:

This feature is never going to work though. Think about it, people want to have careers that go over 20 seasons. No matter how diverse the questions, they're going to become boring sooner or later.

Mate you just managed to rubbish 4 features in the game in fairly short post.

And the company as a whole pretty much.

Maybe your opinion but not a constructive one.

Quite a constructive opinion yourself there.

But wakers had a valid point, all new features brought into the FM series take 2 or three patched versions until they work.

Sometimes I feel as though we, the consumer, are used as beta testers for the new features with SI thinking "they'll play it just because of the name on the box"

Don't get me wrong FM is the best management game out there at the moment but its retail release day versions can be a lot better and until some proper competition is out there we will still get the half finished new features thrown in.

Archived