Should the game be more rewarding

I just completed the treble with man utd. I got knocked out of the Carling Cup early but won the Premiership, Champs League and FA Cup. I know that this is probably not a magnificent gaming achievement but in real life this would be.

All i got was the board saying 'congratulations' but lets keep celebrations at a minimum because all i have done is do the treble but okay...

Alex Ferguson praises me for my Champions League triumph even though we were always expected to win it.

But thats about it.

Oh and in my next press conference i got one question on winning the FA Cup.

I just feel that by winning the League and Champions League my inbox should be full of news items praising my team with quotes from people saying what a good job i did. Perhaps i could plan an open top bus tour around Manchester or something. Or atleast have a full 30 question long press conference, with new! questions about how i managed to do such an amazing job.

It may just be me but i feel like im sitting at my laptop going through the motions of another boring press conference and recieving no more than 3 or 4 messages praising my rather good achievement.

I think that too, I just kept winning with Man Utd in 08 and nothing special happened except the bank balance went up. Just started my long save with them on 09. So far so good except a few injurys every week. Out of interest did you buy anyone special?

Perhaps its that your Man Utd and they usually win at least one trophie a season, and have also won the trebble before. Perhaps if you won the trebble with Liverpool, or even Aston Villa/Everton/Man City etc then the recognition would be much greater.

Perhaps you could try achieving something with a team that isn't expected to sweep up all the trophies, such as Hull or West Brom. I can guarantee you that by the time you win the Champion's league with one of them, you will have a much more rewarding experience than a superficial, meaningless "email" saying that you are the dogs bollards

i won the champions league with Hertha Berlin which was a total fluke and i got 4 messages including one which simply said "well done for winning, we didnt really expect that" surely there should be a press frenzy over this result considering i beat barcelona with two injurry time goals.

its alittle bit odd that its not more fuzz when you big tittles, there should be ceremonies, fireworks, thank you notes from the fans.

I would understand if the board would like to keep celebrating to a minimum if you won carling cup or community shield but if you win EPL or champions league i really think they should do a bigger thing about it, why not a parade? not just a short sentence thats says congrats and thats it, come on.

Only this young Brazillian named Keirrison

Brilliant player!!!

As to your concern, the press conferences are a new feature so I'm sure they will improve as years go by and I think if S.I could get a deal, the "News" sections could be virtual back pages of newspapers......

its alittle bit odd that its not more fuzz when you big tittles, there should be ceremonies, fireworks, thank you notes from the fans.

I would understand if the board would like to keep celebrating to a minimum if you won carling cup or community shield but if you win EPL or champions league i really think they should do a bigger thing about it, why not a parade? not just a short sentence thats says congrats and thats it, come on.

I totally agree there needs to be something in the game to make you 'feel' your successes more. But the big question is how can they do this? FM has always been a text based game so there is only so many messages you can get in your inbox before they lose their novelty.

Should there be a pitch invasion, carrying the players off the pitch in the 3d match engine? Should we have some pre-programmed video clip of generic hands lifting up the CL trophy with firewoks of our team colours in the background? I don't know but it would be good to see what suggestions people might have.

The game doesn't really need to do a whole lot. You know yourself what kind of a challenge it was to win whatever competition with whatever team you happen to be and so the sense of time and difficulty that you know you spent should be able to create your own sense of happiness. So well done you won it all after 15 seasons torment in the Bulgarian second division, go buy yourself a cake and have a party :D

Maybe I should do that next time I win it, ice it with the flag of the country I won with, would be kind of fun :)

Perhaps you could try achieving something with a team that isn't expected to sweep up all the trophies, such as Hull or West Brom. I can guarantee you that by the time you win the Champion's league with one of them, you will have a much more rewarding experience than a superficial, meaningless "email" saying that you are the dogs bollards

I won the Champion's League with Bayern Leverkusen and won them their first ever Bundesliga title and I never got a message that was more meaningfull. I agree with the original post; hopefully they could sort this out for the next game.

You do get some variation in the press questions.

After becoming classed as a World Class Manager I started getting asked in press conferences "Does your success mean you are one of the best managers in the world" after winning cup competitions.

I obviously answered yes :)

This is something I thought too, but it's difficult in a game. Currently we get various congratulatory messages about fans being happy or the board or whatever, but I'd probably get irritated by any more messages coming from me winning a trophy and there's not all that much else that can be done.

It's the same thing with a cup final. In real life you get all the build up and atmosphere of a big day out at Wembley for the fans etc, etc (although I find all that tediously dull as someone watching I'm sure it is exciting if you are there with your team). In FM though a cup final is very little different to any other game - you pick your team, send them out and try to beat the opposition on a green rectangle pitch which could be in the middle of Canada for all the difference it makes.

This is something I thought too, but it's difficult in a game. Currently we get various congratulatory messages about fans being happy or the board or whatever, but I'd probably get irritated by any more messages coming from me winning a trophy and there's not all that much else that can be done.

It's the same thing with a cup final. In real life you get all the build up and atmosphere of a big day out at Wembley for the fans etc, etc (although I find all that tediously dull as someone watching I'm sure it is exciting if you are there with your team). In FM though a cup final is very little different to any other game - you pick your team, send them out and try to beat the opposition on a green rectangle pitch which could be in the middle of Canada for all the difference it makes.

To be fair, very few cup finals get played in the middle of Canada. ;)

The point is you don't (unless it's changed in FM09 - I haven't got so far as winning one of them there trophy thingy mijigs) get any more congratulations and hero worshipping if you win the title with a small club, just a message that it was against all the odds or whatever it is it says.

I agree. Let's have the screen full of firesworks and the national anthem blasting out (or Simply the Best perhaps).

Something to at least make me feel that I have achieved something. Currently it feels like just another day at the office...any day.

On the original Football Manager of the 1980s, a blue flashing screen would appear after you won the FA Cup, along with the message "You've won the FA Cup!!!" flashing over and over again until you continued. That was awesome.

I've just been offered Fergies job (he's off for that overdue retirement) after years of lower league success which is very rewarding for me. I turned it down though, I'm waiting on Scolari to get the sack still.

I think you are all soft! Come on, do you really need to be told how good you are and how good your achievement is. I can't understand the desire to be rewarded in a superficial way on this game. It may feel good to see a little cut scene once or twice, but eventually it'll become tedious and when it does, you'll be clammering for something more rewarding, like a cheque from SI, and when that cheque seems a bit too small, you'll be demanding a telegram from the Queen requesting your presence at a garden party in your honour. If you demand recognition and reward you're only going to be disappointed.

I find the game immensely rewarding in itself, whether it be unearthing a rough diamond, taking your team through the leagues, or even the buzz of the flashing message bar for a goal - that sensation will never die!!! Having a couple more superficial comments saying how good you are will not make you feel more rewarded.

I go back to my original suggestion - play a more challenging game and your achievements will be remarkable and that should be enough reward. One thing I will say though, I do think success with a club should be reflected much better in your reputation and that of a club. I got Stafford promoted in my first season on FM08 and thought I'd have a pop at some other jobs, I couldn't even get a team in the same division!

Since when did a manager make plans for an open top bus ? I can't see Sir Alex jumping on the phone to Arriva head office asking for a spare rusty old double decker they can splash with red paint.

Maybe just a news item that you and your team did the traditional open topped bus tour would suffice. Anything that adds to the sense of occasion would be welcomed.

I think it has improved in recent versions though. In older FM's you got one news item saying "<team> has won the Premier League", or whatever, now (or at least in FM08, because I haven't won any league with FM09 yet) you get several news items which add so much more to the fanfare. I'd prefer more build-up to big game matches, but personally I'm happy with the recognition we receive when winning things.

Archived