AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

By knowing who the League champions are we'll be able to see if a weird team starts dominating Belgium, and i'm sure that if somebody like Anderlect went down Kip would let us know. I just think that most seasons this would be intensely boring, and just waste valuable time. We should remember what this experiment is trying to find out, and not make it too wide.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be interested in seeing league winners which in itself should be fairly simple. Runners up wouldn't be too bad (maybe if there's a constant 'nearly' team or to see if regular winners remain consistently there or thereabouts it would be interesting to see that) but no more (except in the unusual circumstances discussed earlier) and maybe 1 is enough anyway.

Great first update Kip, loving the new experiment.

Firstly, my predictions were:

- Two Bandits players to stay for more than one season, the rest will leave. So far we have four left after the first season, time will tell whether any will stay for another.

- The Sherrifs to fail in their attempt to go up in the first season because of the affect that the idiots have on the team. Correct, although they were unlucky and it had little to do with the effect of the idiots, who played well.

- The Bandits manager to manage England within 10 years. Time will tell.

- England to win a major trophy within 12 years. Again, time will tell, although many youngsters may play for other nations so the England team may not be as strong as it could be.

Thoughts:

Like others, I'm very impressed that the starlets have moved to such a wide variety of teams. It also seems that second nationality has played a part in this, with a few moving to leagues of their second nationality, which is impressive. This could lead to some exciting careers. Remember those Chelsea players back in '07 who simply didn't fit in or didn't get played, and because of that they never really played as well as they could have? There's much less chance of this happening now, no players have yet moved to a massive club so we could see them having very interesting careers.

I'm also very impressed with the effect that temprament and attitude seems to have on development. The starlets have had some pretty big CA jumps in their first season, while the idiots have not developed at all, and in some cases gotten worse. This is excellent, and shows how the regen system has improved since '07, where even the idiots got close to their potential. This means there is a lot more scope in '09 for players with high potential to never actually reach that potential simply because they haven't got the right mentality, which is a great addition.

All in all a fantastic start to the experiment. I personally love the updates as they are, and wouldn't like to see any sections removed at this time. I would be happy for it to be split into two though, so that we get the first half a season update followed by the secon, as was the way at the back end of the '07 experiment.

I tend to agree with the above, I'm liking the fact that the bandits (and idiouts) have moved far and wind in order to see how they progress. Did anyone see one moving north of the border?!?! I didn't! Just from the first season I think we can see that the CA/PA bias has been liked to mental atribtues far more, which can only be a positive thing.

So that leads to the question, was Maia in the '07 experiment actually a regen of one of the idiouts?

So do regens always have the same name? I was under the impression that they are respawned sometimes with different names, but the same statistics. Is that not the case?

And for your information, I was reading the old thread from about 1/3 way through.

That was how it was done until about CM3 or maybe CM4 but now the regens are really newgens in that they have no relationship to a retired player.

"He scores threeeeeee, He's from Zambiiiii a. He scores threeeeeee, He's from Zambiiiiii a, He scores threeeee" etc

I think adapting the Man Utd chant for Vidic to "Idiiiot! Idiiiiot! He comes from Zambia and he'll f**king murder ya" would be apt given his dirtiness ratings.

I'm declaring myself a sheriff :cool:

I think adapting the Man Utd chant for Vidic to "Idiiiot! Idiiiiot! He comes from Zambia and he'll f**king murder ya" would be apt given his dirtiness ratings.

I'm declaring myself a sheriff :cool:

Is that the same as the Emmanuel Adebayor song?

Great first post Kip.

lot of catrching up to do so here goe's.

1. I agree with Von Johnson :p

2. Keep updates as you did for your first one or whichever is easiest, either way, we will still read them :)

3. (Again) FlownCanary, come back to the nest hehe. (btw, heard about Hucks?)

4. Wooohooo the Bandits.

5. Older discussion, but I like all the banter and meaningless posts. Its one of the few threads here that has never degenerated into a slanging war on the forum...this thread (inc old one) is a great place to be :)

6. Despite my old account being apparently lost forver...great to see so many familier names here :)

7. Glad of the new nationalities, has made the club/country moves much more interesting.

Last but not least, KUTGW Kip...and take your time posting, makes it all the more interesting and worth while when they arrive :)

I'll answer some other posts in a bit, but here's a little game to keep you busy until the next update:

Take a look at the last post of the first update (post 368, page 4), which lists the clubs and nationalities of the 18 180+ CA players in the world. We already know Kaka, Ronaldo and Messi are the top three, but can you name the other fifteen - without checking out your own game/database?

Real Madrid; Casillas, Sergio Ramos & ???

Chelsea; Essien, Cech & Lamps/Terry?

Barca; Messi & Xavi?

Man U; C Ronaldo & Rooney

Liverpool; Gerrard & Torres

Ac Milan; Kaka

Juventus; Buffon/Chiellini?

Arsenal; Fabregas

Lyon; Benzema

Roma; De Rossi

Athletico Madrid; Agurero

I'm fairly confident about most of those. Not sure about my 2nd Frenchman, maybe Ribery moved to Madrid?

Edit: and KUTGW kipfizh! Great to see the Bandits back.

Not in order

1. Casillas

2. Ramos

3. Essien

4. Cech

5. Buffon

6. De Rossi

7. Eto'o

8. Gerrard

9. Zlatan

10. Ribery

11. Totti

12. Torres

13. Xavi

14. Villa

15. hmmm it's between Pirlo, Ferdinand, Vidic, Lampard, Robben. I'll say Ferdinand.

Great first post Kip.

lot of catrching up to do so here goe's.

1. I agree with Von Johnson :p

2. Keep updates as you did for your first one or whichever is easiest, either way, we will still read them :)

3. (Again) FlownCanary, come back to the nest hehe. (btw, heard about Hucks?)

4. Wooohooo the Bandits.

5. Older discussion, but I like all the banter and meaningless posts. Its one of the few threads here that has never degenerated into a slanging war on the forum...this thread (inc old one) is a great place to be :)

6. Despite my old account being apparently lost forver...great to see so many familier names here :)

7. Glad of the new nationalities, has made the club/country moves much more interesting.

Last but not least, KUTGW Kip...and take your time posting, makes it all the more interesting and worth while when they arrive :)

That's actually pretty funny, dude!

Real Madrid - Casillas, Ramos, Higuain

Chelsea - Essien, Cech, Carvalho

Barca - Messi, Puyol

Man U - Ronaldo, Rooney

Liverpool - Gerrard, Torres

Ac Milan - Kaka

Juventus - Buffon

Arsenal - Fabregas

Lyon - Juninho Pernambucano

Roma - Totti

Athletico Madrid - Aguero

I think the plight of the idiots is much more interesting this time around; will sheer talent make them stars to some extent, or are they destined to be mediocre top-league players at best? If they keep up the hilarious petulance I can envision them struggling to get beyond 170CA. And then, you have to wonder how accurate that would be if it happened. The world of football has certainly had its share of players whose talent is matched only by their idiocy, who yet find themselves touring Europe's top sides.

The other fifteen? Excellent question to be fair Kip :)

S. Eto'o, Xavi, S. Gerrard, F. Ribéry, M. Essien, G. Buffon, I. Casillas, Z. Ibrahimovic, R. Ferdinand, D. Villa, F. Torres, F. Lampard, A. Robben and the last two between P. Cech, A. Pirlo, F. Totti (maybe), S. Ramos, S. Agüero & F. Fàbregas.

Real Madrid – 3 (-) (189, 183, 180) Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Diarra

Chelsea – 3 (-) (186, 181, 180) Cech, Lampard, Essien

Barcelona – 2 (-) (194, 180) Messi, Xavi

Man Utd – 2 (-) (192, 181) Ronaldo, Rooney

Liverpool – 2 (-) (183, 183) Torres, Gerrard

AC Milan – 1 (-) (194) Kaka

Juventus – 1 (-) (188) Buffon

Arsenal – 1 (-) (186) Fabregas

Lyon – 1 (-) (184) Benzema

Roma – 1 (-) (184) De Rossi

Atletico Madrid – 1 (-) (181) Aguero

I went for Diarra as the second Frenchman as I don't think Henry should be a 180+ anymore, and if I did, I can't see Raul or any other Madrid spanish player getting 180+.

A bit suprised that Silva, Villa, Vidic, Ferdinand, Berbatov, Van Nistelrooy, and Robben aren't 180 plus.

Marky,

Interesting point indeed. But as you say it happens. I think personally that a few managers take these type of players on and think they can 'calm them down', and then invariably the manager is sacked, new man comes in and said nutter player is on his way again heh...

Can't wait to see how they progress over the years :)

I wanted to find out the actual answer to this and i checked my game but i'm guessing each one is slightly different as i only had 12 on 180+ including only one Real Madrid player (and in fact the top 3 outfield Madrilenos are all Dutch, and Kip reckons there are none…NO DUTCH PLAYERS?! What's that about?!), plus Ibrahimovic and Eto’o were both justifiably high on that list, for example, so this might be a slightly pointless exercise. Perhaps it depends on DB size, which leagues are run etc?

However, with that in mind, and assuming that no-one has moved clubs, I would guess it would be:

The clubs

Real Madrid – 3 (-) (189, 183, 180) Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Diarra (see below),

Chelsea – 3 (-) (186, 181, 180) Essien, Cech, Lampard

Barcelona – 2 (-) (194, 180) Messi, Xavi – though that’s odd because on most games Messi is the best in the world along with Kaka so he’s obviously 194 but I would expect Xavi to be at least high 180s…

Man Utd – 2 (-) (192, 181) Ronaldo, Ferdinand (NOT Rooney if previous games are anything to go by)

Liverpool – 2 (-) (183, 183) Gerrard, Torres (although the latter is well under 180 in most of my games)

Lyon – 1 (-) (184) Toulalan

Total – 18 (+6)

The nationalities

Spain – 5 (-) Casillas, Xavi, Torres, Fabregas – the fifth is tough because the obvious ones are Villa, Puyol, Iniesta and Reina all of whom are ruled out by others. This means it must be, I reckon, Sergio Ramos?

England – 3 (-) Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand

Argentina – 2 (-) Messi, Aguero

Italy – 2 (-) Buffon, De Rossi

France – 2 (-) In my DB only Ribery and Trezeguet are above even 170! Both ruled out, because there are no Bayern players and Buffon is almost certainly the Juve player, so I would guess Toulalan and…Diarra? The other option is Mexes, but there are no other Real Madrid players that work out! Neither of these two seem to be 180+ in my DB or anywhere near it!

Brazil – 1 (-) Kaka – and does no-one else think its rather refreshing that only one Brazilian features in this list?!

Portugal – 1 (-) Ronaldo

Ghana – 1 (-) Essien

Czech Rep – 1 (-) Cech

Total – 18 (+6)

Whether I’m right or wrong, Kip, you have a very odd DB there!

EDIT: Kip will probably tell us that there were transfers that happened before he wrote this list, thus making all this hypothesising null and void!!

The clubs

Real Madrid – 3 (-) (189, 183, 180) Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Diarra (see below),

Chelsea – 3 (-) (186, 181, 180) Essien, Cech, Lampard

Barcelona – 2 (-) (194, 180) Messi, Xavi – though that’s odd because on most games Messi is the best in the world along with Kaka so he’s obviously 194 but I would expect Xavi to be at least high 180s…

Man Utd – 2 (-) (192, 181) Ronaldo, Ferdinand (NOT Rooney if previous games are anything to go by)

Liverpool – 2 (-) (183, 183) Gerrard, Torres (although the latter is well under 180 in most of my games)

Lyon – 1 (-) (184) Toulalan

Total – 18 (+6)

The nationalities

Spain – 5 (-) Casillas, Xavi, Torres, Fabregas – the fifth is tough because the obvious ones are Villa, Puyol, Iniesta and Reina all of whom are ruled out by others. This means it must be, I reckon, Sergio Ramos?

England – 3 (-) Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand

Argentina – 2 (-) Messi, Aguero

Italy – 2 (-) Buffon, De Rossi

France – 2 (-) In my DB only Ribery and Trezeguet are above even 170! Both ruled out, because there are no Bayern players and Buffon is almost certainly the Juve player, so I would guess Toulalan and…Diarra? The other option is Mexes, but there are no other Real Madrid players that work out! Neither of these two seem to be 180+ in my DB or anywhere near it!

Brazil – 1 (-) Kaka – and does no-one else think its rather refreshing that only one Brazilian features in this list?!

Portugal – 1 (-) Ronaldo

Ghana – 1 (-) Essien

Czech Rep – 1 (-) Cech

Total – 18 (+6)

Whether I’m right or wrong, Kip, you have a very odd DB there!

EDIT: Kip will probably tell us that there were transfers that happened before he wrote this list, thus making all this hypothesising null and void!!

I think at lyin it would be benzema and possibly toualalan at real as he often moves there.

SJ234 got close by mentioning Toulalan's transfer to Real, he is indeed the second Frenchman as well as Benzema at Lyon (Diarra isn't there). Also, Rooney isn't there, Ferdinand is, and de Rossi is Roma's representative. The full list (in CA order):

Kaka (AC Milan/Brazil)

Messi (Barcelona/Argentina)

Ronaldo (Man Utd/Portugal)

Casillas (Real Madrid/Spain)

Buffon (Juventus/Italy)

Essien (Chelsea/Ghana)

Fabregas (Arsenal/Spain)

De Rossi (Roma/Italy)

Benzema (Lyon/France)

Gerrard (Liverpool/England)

Torres (Liverpool/Spain)

Ramos (Real Madrid/Spain)

Aguero (Atlectico Madrid/Spain)

Ferdinand (Man Utd/England)

Cech (Chelsea/Czech Republic)

Toulalan (Real Madrid/France)

Lampard (Chelsea/England)

Xavi (Barcelona/Spain)

I only got two wrong, Toulalan instead of Diarra, and Ferdinand instead of Rooney. I'll settle for that, a bit surprised Rooney didn't improve over the season to go above 180 but nevermind.

You were very close :)

Might run this as a between season game until the regens start appearing...

SJ234 got close by mentioning Toulalan's transfer to Real, he is indeed the second Frenchman as well as Benzema at Lyon (Diarra isn't there). Also, Rooney isn't there, Ferdinand is, and de Rossi is Roma's representative. The full list (in CA order):

Kaka (AC Milan/Brazil)

Messi (Barcelona/Argentina)

Ronaldo (Man Utd/Portugal)

Casillas (Real Madrid/Spain)

Buffon (Juventus/Italy)

Essien (Chelsea/Ghana)

Fabregas (Arsenal/Spain)

De Rossi (Roma/Italy)

Benzema (Lyon/France)

Gerrard (Liverpool/England)

Torres (Liverpool/Spain)

Ramos (Real Madrid/Spain)

Aguero (Atlectico Madrid/Spain)

Ferdinand (Man Utd/England)

Cech (Chelsea/Czech Republic)

Toulalan (Real Madrid/France)

Lampard (Chelsea/England)

Xavi (Barcelona/Spain)

I came close:)

When is the next update kip?

KUTGW.

bump for update

No need to bump, and no need to press for an update. It will come when its done, these things take time and as Kip, like a lot of people here, has a job and a family as well, he can't just ratchet out the updates at will.

Guest mikeytwigge

yeah also you have to look at the size of the updates he's doing so it will be weeks between updates

I'd rather wait a month for an update then have them rushed out like some of the others.

I don't know about World Player of the Year, I think it largley depends on who the bandits join. I'd go for 2015, when they should be just about at the peak of their powers.

2012 or 2014 (competition years). I'll stick my neck out and go for the latter, partly because they should be much more established by then (maybe in 2012 as well but the game often makes full use of international youth teams first even those that don't have to wait will need time) and also its a world cup year which provides a great opportunity. and also one of the wide mids... left mid 1 for a shot in the dark.

I think we can take it to mean that.

Oh and out of curiosity I've looked back to see how many declared supporters there are for each side. Depends on how you judge though I just went for statements of support even if quite a few looked like they were leaning one way. It was always close though at the moment there's a narrow margin in favour of the bandits. Then again I suspect because they were the stars of the show last time it appears to go without saying for many of the fans of the 07 version.

another little thing I thought of about The Idiots: I wonder how flexible mental characteristics are? Is there the possibility of one of them finding themselves managed by an Alex Ferguson figure, or mentored by some cool old head, and actually becoming a somewhat reasonable, balanced person? I think seeing how their careers compare may be even more interesting than the inevitable superstardom of the Bandits.

Archived