Have you changed your mind on who to manage?

With the delay of FMT21 it's left me with more time to think about who to manage, originally I was going to manage my favourite team Burnley but now I've changed my mind again. I'm now going to manage Elgin City, bit of a road to glory I guess? They have never been past the lowest playable league in Scotland. I'll aim to get them into the SPL, challenge Celtic and Rangers, and then aim for European glory.

Start with Napoli to get used to the new ME, already have my tactic set up in my memory. Then they'll fire me after two or three years of struggling to get any success in Serie A and CL so will probably end up with some random club I wouldn't normally consider that will offer me the job ;)

Since there is no editor... yet again, i'm going to try use the Create-a-Team mode and make a fictional team in the lower leagues in the English leagues and fail miserably.

Also I'm might go with Benfica and try to win consecutive Champions Leagues, trying to atone my growing displeasure of big european-money dominating Clubs in every competitions.

Edited by grade

15 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

Gonna start my usually save with my favourite team Benfica. It's not a big challenge, but you've gotta follow your heart. 

2 hours ago, grade said:

Since there is no editor... yet again, i'm going to try use the Create-a-Team mode and make a fictional team in the lower leagues in the English leagues and fail miserably.

Also I'm might go with Benfica and try to win consecutive Champions Leagues, trying to atone my growing displeasure of big european-money dominating Clubs in every competitions.

I've tried managing in Portugal before (on both FMT and FM), the top 3 have SO many players but is still good fun. I always pick Sporting CP though, since they're the weakest of the 3 and a comparatively better challenge. 

I've been thinking Cordoba CF in the Spanish third tier.

Should be a fun challenge... 2020-21 is a transitional season with 102 teams in that tier (Segunda B), a complicated structure with promotion groups, and relegation groups, and a complete realignment of the tiers after the season. So you could end in the La Liga 2 (Smartbank) - the second tier, or in the newly created third, fourth or fifth tiers (can suffer a double relegation). 

I usually have the problem that I start too many saves. This year I had the idea to play with either Stuttgart, Kaiserslautern, or Lyon.

Then I saw a thread about Frankfurt that interested me. Unfortunately, I started with no first window budgets and was unable to loan out some players even for free. This reduced the fun a bit as I had a huge squad in addition to over 19 players that couldn't play for the U19 Team but wouldn't make it yet to the first team. I tried to add an affiliate feeder club but the board just offered one that would give us first dibs on young players. 

I stopped that and started a save with Leverkusen which is extremely enjoyable. However, I am waiting for FMT and will then see what team i start a save with. 

I haven't changed my mind; I hadn't thought about it at all :D 

Now I'm pondering about whether to have a look at Argentinos Juniors as a hat tip to Diego Maradona. They were his first club and they're nowhere near the same calibre as Boca so it would represent a challenge. Would be nice to try and get some newgens that are Maradona-esque to develop and to build the club up to compete in the Libertadores.

EDIT: Yep - that's what I'll do. Just firing up fat mode to see what sort of squad / finances I'll be dealing with and I'll spend the next couple of days trying to figure out a suitable tactic.

EDIT2 - Signs are very good: the stadium is named after Maradona. Expectations are mid-table finish with modest cup ambitions. Aim is to build the best youth system in Argentina and there's no expectation to challenge for the league until season four.

The U20 and Reserve squads are packed with players with 4+* PA and it looks to be stacked with AML/R players so our future formation is probably based on that.

The first team squad is pretty young, maybe lacking a bit in terms of numbers in central midfield, pretty "experienced" at centre back. I'll dop my usual trick of ignoring the players on loan at the club and will focus on my own youngsters instead.

2 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

I haven't changed my mind; I hadn't thought about it at all :D 

Now I'm pondering about whether to have a look at Argentinos Juniors as a hat tip to Diego Maradona. They were his first club and they're nowhere near the same calibre as Boca so it would represent a challenge. Would be nice to try and get some newgens that are Maradona-esque to develop and to build the club up to compete in the Libertadores.

EDIT: Yep - that's what I'll do. Just firing up fat mode to see what sort of squad / finances I'll be dealing with and I'll spend the next couple of days trying to figure out a suitable tactic.

EDIT2 - Signs are very good: the stadium is named after Maradona. Expectations are mid-table finish with modest cup ambitions. Aim is to build the best youth system in Argentina and there's no expectation to challenge for the league until season four.

The U20 and Reserve squads are packed with players with 4+* PA and it looks to be stacked with AML/R players so our future formation is probably based on that.

The first team squad is pretty young, maybe lacking a bit in terms of numbers in central midfield, pretty "experienced" at centre back. I'll dop my usual trick of ignoring the players on loan at the club and will focus on my own youngsters instead.

Maradona will still be in charge of Gimnasia I think until the next update. Going to be weird.

29 minutes ago, rafaelbenitez said:

Maradona will still be in charge of Gimnasia I think until the next update. Going to be weird.

Certainly will.

This is the sort of challenge I'll have on my hands. Obviously starting potential is all relative to the starting squad so it looks potentially better than it perhaps is, but this is a snapshot of a few members of the first team squad, which now includes some promotions from the Reserve and U20 squads.

Have had a so-so pre-season with a mix of results but we're playing well enough. Defence isn't particularly quick or concentrated so we're a little loose at the back.

Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 17.23.37.png