[FM20] The Fourth Glass: I May Be Going Nowhere, But What A Ride

ManUtd1

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the photos above weren't enough to whet your appetite, why not try this 4k drone video flying over Kvareli Fortress, the home of FC Duruji Kvareli

I would have included it above, but you can't align YouTube videos centrally... :onmehead:

Looks like an incredible save you've chosen here, those photos are breathtaking. We all need a break sometimes, and I can't think of a more interesting way to spend a break then with a project like this. Can't wait to see how you do!

European Review.

Before we go too far, let's quickly take a look around Europe.

No real surprises here, with business as usual for the most part in the active leagues:

187666235cb0864bd9ecbc62b03347c7.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 b1aa8751113384707df74285c7202913.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 2f5832ecb0cc277cd3126b4ca2ea8c8c.png?fit=1024%2C572&ssl=1 7bda485242bd84aa6cd4afef7c6bdce6.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 60158cf2f13cd8bf655623161936fcfe.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

The Champions League and Europa League have been their usual selves, as well, with the inaugural Europa Conference League kicking off for 2021/22.

January 2022.

After promoting all 7 players from our youth setup, we have 10 players in the squad. We've got work to do.

I haven't fully decided, but we're setting out with three tactics: (1) my PM Haaientand; (2) @wynter's Changing Lanes; and (3) a strikerless setup inspired by @wynter's asymmetric tactics.

Our finances are as grim as one would expect. My goal is to promote as soon as humanly possible.

A quick word about league structure. The Georgian leagues run within a single calendar year. 10 teams are in each of the top 4 tiers, known as the Erovnuli Liga, Erovnuli Liga 2, Liga 3 and Liga 4.

The Georgian Regional Leagues (5th tier) are comprised of 49 teams, only 2 of which will promote to Liga 4. The 5th tier structured in two-phases. First, clubs contest an initial phase comprised of 5 groups, playing one-off matches against each opponent. The top 4 teams from each group advance to a promotion phase comprised of 2 groups of 10, who play each other home-and-away, with the top team in each group promoting to the 4th tier. The remaining teams fall into a "lower group stage" comprised of 3 separate groups, who play a home-and-away series to determine final placement. There is no relegation from the 5th tier.

January 2022.

As we build the playing squad and backroom staff from essentially from scratch, I thought there'd be some interest in seeing the pieces of the puzzle.

Some cracking staff available...the response to our physio advert speaks volumes, as does the response for coach advert, and scout advert.

Bottom line, we need to promote. We're signing players and bringing a few in on loan from the 4th tier, but things are grim.

The only good news is that our opposition isn't any better off.

Edited by ManUtd1

A solid preseason is in the books. Our only loss was to Telavi, an Erovnuli Liga side that should stomp us. So we'll take that 2-nil loss. We'll also take the 3-1 win over Liga 3 side Shevardeni Tbilisi.

019bdef523bca1d6a909fae6aa040208.png

As we head into the season, our key players appear to be: Mamuka Lobzhanidze, our libero; Ivane Shilakadze, our shadow striker; Gela Labadze, our roaming playmaker; Giorgi Kvekveskiri, our keeper (a loanee); Sergey Andreev, our right wingback (another loanee); and, Mikheil Bregvadze, our regista.

Edited by ManUtd1

What a start to the league campaign.  A scoreless draw away to WIT-Georgia's 2nd team, who are favored to win the league, followed by a 5-nil home debut over Legioni.

Who needs champagne football, anyways?  We're playing chacha football.

#Not5thTierForever #PullYourselfTogether

fb4bd1431e037da47d8be9483734923e.jpg

b64443b140cdc65f32416437204b15cb.jpg

Edited by ManUtd1

March 2022.

The first few months of this save remind me of lower league Sweden -- once we have a moderately decent squad and/or a decent tactic, we can steamroll our opposition and move up the leagues. From looking at squads in the leagues above us, I genuinely think this team would be competitive in Liga 2 or 3.

Regardless, our near-perfect start to life in Georgia continues.

948e972cf5344ad86df7677f421114ad.png

94ceca610ee10b8a0faa01975fea1e04.png

6 hours ago, TheLutterworthFox said:

Really looking forward to following along with this and nice to see I've had some influence on the challenge element!! Good luck! 

Thanks, man!  I may revise as I go, but any suggestions you might have are welcome!

6 hours ago, oriole01 said:

Looks like an incredible save you've chosen here, those photos are breathtaking. We all need a break sometimes, and I can't think of a more interesting way to spend a break then with a project like this. Can't wait to see how you do!

:brock:

1 hour ago, Rikulec said:

This is going to be great, I can feel it already. :thup:

I'm right there with you!

giphy.gif

43 minutes ago, TottenhamFan101 said:

Loving this along with the quick Georgian mythology lesson! Will definitely be following eagerly :)

Thanks, man!  Really pleased with how quickly we're able to get the ball rolling.  Hopefully we can promote up the ladder quickly, and start preparing to assault Europe!

April 2022.

That aura of invincibility? Shattered.

We were poor, away to Tskhinvali's reserves. We were then wasteful in front of goal against Dominati.

The silver lining? We're the only team to beat Legioni, who sit atop the table. And we've already smashed them twice.

c13496b190f558ca1a0270d8157f5ec5.png

1fe0e67c13ed150f2ea3eb182eb8273c.png

May 2022.

Back to our winning ways in May, 4 wins from 4 (including a friendly to ensure our 1st XI remains fresh). We lead the Eastern A regional group in goals scored (20), with fewest conceded (4). The question is whether we can carry this form forward into the promotion stage.

f3af37f783e5f2a85044acbee4558002.png

ccadcac3fa934569b6ff612f51b575f9.png

The other big news this month is that the club took out a $550k loan to bring us almost back to zero. Our finances are a mess, and have been long-prior to Giorgi Arimani's arrival.

June 2022 - European Review.

Let's step back for one moment to consider results on the continent...

Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool claimed the Champions League title with a 3-2 win over Quique Setien's Barcelona.

Mikel Arteta's Arsenal claimed the Europa League with a 2-nil win over Senol Gunes' Chelsea.

In the Europa Conference League, Marcelino's AC Milan beat Marcelo Bielsa's Tottenham, 3-nil.

In the active leagues, Setien's Barcelona won La Liga. Carlo Ancelotti's Manchester City won the Premier League. Maurizio Sarri's Juventus won the Serie A. Lucien Favre's Dortmund won the Bundesliga. And, finally, Thomas Tuchel's PS-****ing-G won Ligue 1.

June 2022.

Let's start with our youth intake preview, which is promising. There's no question that we could use an influx of players.

075376e7dccf15acd8186f8783c7967c.png

On the pitch, we finished the initial league phase strong, claiming 3rd place -- 2 points behind Tskhinvali's reserves, having scored a record 30 goals, with only 5 conceded. We also start the promotion phase on the right foot, a 1-nil win giving much credit to the visiting Meshakhte.

The biggest match of the month, however, was the Davit Kipiani Cup 4th Round tie away to Liga 2 Spaeri (Sergey Andreev's parent club). We lost 3-nil, a scoreline that was kind to our hosts. The bigger news, however, was losing sixteen year-old Zurab Takashvili -- our starting right mezzala, who leads the team with 10 assists -- for 6-7 weeks. Aleko Tkebuchava will step into the 1st XI, in his place.

3b145595972bb843cd44d5e1da1ad1eb.png

fe44fb7abf2191c197b232c8400310b4.png

July 2022.

Alright, I have to admit, this cracked me up. Our ticket prices: $3 per match, with 30 season ticket holders at $9.01 per season ticket.

giphy.gif

The good news is that, it appears we can expand our seating capacity. Since we're capped at 750 right now (a number we're nowhere near), we won't be doing that any time soon. But it is good to know.

A solid run of matches in July puts us at the top of the promotion table, after a 2-nil win at Kvareli Fortress over Tskhinvali's reserves. Much-needed revenge. Only one team goes up, lads.

a99fa01eef22b666b6863ee6f83c74d4.png

f250a9df78bcf7a88ef00406ba3e2390.png

August 2022.

We're flying. Halfway through the promotion phase, we've secured 9 wins from 9 matches. 23 goals for, 3 against.

We sit 8 points clear. Our goal is in sight.

07386e2bc42e04d5bf7278629d6136e3.png

794e8ad999cf7c38f8142cc15bb0ab46.png

We've managed to extend the contracts of everyone important through the end of next year, including Giorgi Kvekveskiri's loan contract, with Grigol Pochkhua and Sergey Andreev joining on free transfers upon expiration of their contracts.

I love the nearly men careers, but I think this is a great idea, it's always nice to try something new and Georgia's a great footballing place, rarely explored here.

I regret to inform that I vaguely sympathise with Dinamo Tbilisi, which will be the first big boss you'll have to slay. ;)

7 hours ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

Am I the only one reading Giorgi Amirani as Giorgio Armani?

7 hours ago, TheLutterworthFox said:

No you're not 😂😂

7 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

No, definitely not

4 hours ago, Maw74 said:

Nope, looks like most of us lol

4 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Probably all of us

I've been 3x checking that and a few other names, as we go :lol:

3 hours ago, noikeee said:

I love the nearly men careers, but I think this is a great idea, it's always nice to try something new and Georgia's a great footballing place, rarely explored here.

I regret to inform that I vaguely sympathise with Dinamo Tbilisi, which will be the first big boss you'll have to slay. ;)

Thanks, man!  It is a very different approach to both the save and the write-up, for me, which I'm finding to be a breath of fresh air.  

Dinamo may not be able to hear the footsteps just yet, but we're coming for them...

1 hour ago, Mandy42 said:

How much do you pay your ball boys when they have to scale the wall to get the ball back? 

It's extortionate.  The little scamps are ruining our budget.  

I did manage to increase the wage budget last night, just before I shut down the laptop (a hair over 4k/week), but we're in the red.  We need to promote, and build up the fanbase ASAP.  There isn't much money in the Georgian 5th tier...we have a handful of players on $425/week, which is a luxury we can't afford if things don't change.

38 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

It's extortionate.  The little scamps are ruining our budget.  

I did manage to increase the wage budget last night, just before I shut down the laptop (a hair over 4k/week), but we're in the red.  We need to promote, and build up the fanbase ASAP.  There isn't much money in the Georgian 5th tier...we have a handful of players on $425/week, which is a luxury we can't afford if things don't change.

charge for tours of the castle! 

31 minutes ago, Mandy42 said:

charge for tours of the castle! 

To save costs, I'm having the U21s re-dig the moat.  And until we can afford alligators, the U19s will have to take shifts swimming around in a menacing fashion.   

September 2022.

A big month, as we march onward towards what is looking more and more like promotion to Liga 4. 5 matches to play, 11 points clear. We can clinch in October.

0ede610447eeb6b3bda332445d3f9d77.png

156df5ed14ae773bd024a0e195dca00a.png

The locals are taking notice, as a record 243 people attend the September 10th match against Alazani Gurjaani. Time to jump on the bandwagon, folks.

October 2022.

Our winning streak comes to an end with a scoreless draw against Didube. We then traveled to Tskinvali's reserves, who sit in 2nd, 12 points off the pace with 5 to play...a chance to secure promotion for us. A must win for our hosts. We smash them, 3-1. Promotion secured, with 4 matches to play.

201ed27de0ef98d6d70d7719b50bf1a9.png

The other big news of the month was the arrival of our youth intake.

65ef008353ffa1e4fbc47b81f215e140.png

Keeping in mind that the current/potential ability stars are lying liars who shameless lie to our faces, the best players (in my estimation) seem to be Gela Jishkariani (who will train as a shadow striker), Mirian Modebadze (a pure centerback), Rati Liluashvili (a pure finisher, at this level), Alexsandre Iakobishvili (a keeper), and Nikoloz Modebaze (another centerback).

I went from looking at these players to immediately ask the Board to improve our junior coaching. They laughed. They always laugh when I ask them for things. Perhaps its because we're still bleeding money, week after week.

I'd like to think that promotion will ease the financial worries...but I suspect that clubs in the Liga 4 are not drowning in cash.

2d884a2e1a60190258764aaa2563c278.png

732d01e13afecee40b016f3f6e5eaa7a.png

November 2022.

Before our final 2 matches, the Board lets us know that we will, in fact, be rolling in the cash next year, such that we'll have a $6.25k/week wage budget. (I'm relatively certain that's lower than urCristiano's weekly budget for essential oils and avocado toast, but Portuguese law enforcement have been nothing if not extremely clear -- his Oiliness' personal finances are none of my damn business.)

beef41e9b94bf2bd74fec7b2859aab64.png

We finish strong, 2 wins from 2. Promotion in the bag. A big year ahead.

0553bcdd3158b7987b86dd821c4cf870.png

bee6128fc41c3fa9183eeff6752766d1.png

2022 Season Review.

Frankly, this was a dream start to the save.

Once the first few competitive matches were under our belt, the only real question in my mind was how close things would be in the promotional phase.

We took care of business and, in the process, got a glimpse of life in the leagues above us. I see no reason why this squad cannot compete for promotion next year -- Liga 4 is comprised of 10 teams, with everyone playing each other 3 times. Of course, I told the squad that was my expectation, and now they're all mad at me.

giphy.gif

I appreciate the vote of confidence, lads.

Goals for 2023:  Keep the Promotion Train chugging along, and push for a top-2 finish in Liga 4. Get our finances under control, to the extent possible.

Squad | Initial Phase| Promotion Phase| Transfers

Finances | Income | Expenditure

17ebc9263f4cec2cad2d356e0c46cef9.png

2d83e1b7457d0bf75f5ab285b36687b1.png

Qatar 2022; World Cup Review.

The World Cup was rather...meh. Dieter Hecking and ze Germans beat Renato Gaucho's 10-man Brazil, 1-nil, in the final:

77bad2980875c06cbe9669210d5e3553.png

Roberto Martinez's Belgium and Jose Mourinho's Portugal reached the semifinals, but couldn't make it over the final hump. Beyond that, the exit of Herve Renard's France during the Group Stage was the only real shock.

Overview | Knockout Rounds | Groups A-D | Groups E-H

January 2023.

Some good news as we kick off the new season. 17.45k in TV revenue for Liga 4, plus 3 new sponsorship deals totaling $9k/year.

I asked for it to be delivered in singles. The Chairman thought I was kidding.

I didn't have the heart to tell him the truth. I just wanted to frolic around in it. For 20, maybe 30 minutes. I'd even consider keeping my pants on...

giphy.gif

In all fairness, I assumed that the Chairman was kidding when he passed along the Board's demand that we win the Davit Kipiani Cup this year, even though we're in Liga 4.

giphy.gif

Alas, the look on his face told me he was not kidding. I put my pants back on.

Frankly, this has to be a bug of some sort, somehow associated with the 5-tier extension file. I can't think of any other reason why the Board would be looking for a top half finish in Liga 4, but insist on winning the Cup.

42a4a38b3f0db0eeffc9cb9336fd1ad5.png

The reality is that we aren't that far off the clubs in the tiers above us. I've been thinking we'll have a shot at it in 2024 or 2025, if we can keep progressing. But let's be honest.

We are not going to win the Cup this year. So, we'll just have to cross this bridge when we get there.

I don't mind getting sacked, even for arguably unjust reasons. In my narrative-heavy saves, a sacking can often be the "best" thing to happen. But this is just silly season.

I have not decided how I want to handle it. I'm not particularly interested in moving to another club, such that this save becomes a "revenge" mission. Assuming that we're otherwise meeting/exceeding the Board's expectations, I'm considering 2 options: (1) retiring upon being sacked, and adding Giorgi Amirani 2.0 to take over the club; or (2) temporarily ticking the "unsackable" option in the editor. I'm leaning heavily towards (2) right now, if only for the sake of continuity/statistics over the course of the save.

All that being said, the media are predicting a second-place finish, behind SK Rustavi's reserves.

c7ef67c46d47bf50b1ec748a9d3fc97f.png

Let's get stuck in, lads.

11 hours ago, TheLutterworthFox said:

Brilliant start mate. Congrats on promotion!! 

10 hours ago, Mandy42 said:

up at the 1st attempt! 

10 hours ago, KrKAlex said:

Nice save, I enjoyed reading so far!

Thanks, fellas -- it has been a blast thus far!  Just need to keep the momentum going...

ezgif-3-4f5b4dfe4f48.gif.80b0fc035fe0e8f8c3bdef80cfcfeb8b.gif

1 minute ago, Joe. said:

How did you discover this team? and did you have others on your shortlist?

There was some buzz around their stadium in February (ish), including on the Football Away Days Twitter account.  

I have one other on my shortlist, that I've thought about doing for a long time up in Norway.  But this felt more obscure, with a much bigger uphill fight with the national team than it would have been with the Norwegians.  

January 2023.

I've decided to stick with the side from last year, which was too good for the 5th tier, generally held their own with teams in the leagues above us, and are predicted to finish 2nd.

We did make 2 signings, though, both on free transfers: (1) Giorgi Tskhadadze, who will start in goal after being released from Liga 3 side Guria; and (2) Giorgi Tebidze, who made 21 appearances for Telavi in the Erovnuli Liga last year, and will start as our right-sided centerback.

One thing I've noticed is that almost every club is operating in the red. I'm not surprised. There's little if any income. If we can continue to pick up scraps and extend our own contracts whenever possible, we'll keep this train rolling. The quality of players isn't particularly high. We just need to make sure we spend what funds we have wisely.

Case in point -- Mamuka Lobzhanidze is our starting libero, and most expensive player on $475/week. We signed him on a free last year, after he was released from fellow Regional Leagues side Iberia-2010. After our promotion campaign, the Board auto-accepted an $18k transfer bid from Erovnuli Liga side Samtredia for Lobzhanidze...but he rejected their contract offer. Samtredia's average wage is only $272/week, so I can only conclude that they offered him less than what he's currently on.

When I signed Lobzhanidze last year, I knew I was probably paying him too much for the 5th tier. But we didn't have any players. He was also willing to sign a contract and looked better than the other players available on a free. I did not realize I was arguably overpaying him, when scaled against Erovnuli Liga wages.