[FM20] The Fourth Glass: I May Be Going Nowhere, But What A Ride

ManUtd1

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality start in the top tier, fingers crossed you can keep it up. Alas, you have too many players called Gela. It must be their form of John.

9 hours ago, rodesire said:

Did Lokomotiv make it to conference group stage with those two 5.00 coefficients?

Apologies for the delay -- I just opened up the laptop.

Lokomotivi has made the Conference League Group Stage twice!

(Looking at squads, Lokomotivi is easily the strongest side in the Erovnuli Liga on paper.)

17fc039615c51d2f115326939069b9f3.png

Edited by ManUtd1

May 2026.

Our form heading into the summer break for the World Cup is utterly atrocious. 3 straight losses.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that we're sitting 4th, but frustrated at dropping points so carelessly. The Torpedo Kutaisi match, in particular.

45f9130335cb0ab4d8b17a4e6b30c189.png

5979432a876b6931f996b9720c5620eb.png

June 2026.

A quiet month, with the World Cup kicking off shortly after our scoreless draw away to Lokomotivi Tbilisi. Giorgi Amirani did obtain his Continental B License, though, so I guess that's something.

Our youth intake preview was rather grim, though:

acf2e86ef6b86eb30e813a2c2be6f9e9.png

Play resumed with a 2-nil win over WIT-Georgia in the Davit Kipiani Cup, which was notable for a record attendance of 715, with $8k in gate receipts. Football is back, lads.

5eece87876b8f93a8e6b9f6e01347a0b.png

4ec0dea6958b45362fc770a1be1891f8.png

July 2026.

We've hit the time of year when contracts are 6 months from expiry, meaning it is time to go shopping. I managed to secure 2 signings at this early juncture, both of whom have the potential to step into our 1st XI right away, with room for growth.

The first player in the door is Luis Lorente, a Spanish/Georgian dual national who came through Gagra's academy, before moving to Saburtalo. He's an upgrade on Giorgi Tskhadadze, and my scouts think he has far greater potential.

The second player we've signed is Mamuka Chachua, from Tskhinvali. He'll step right into our back 3, replacing Giorgi Tebidze.

Two players for the future, but ones I'm excited about.

Edited by ManUtd1

July 2026.

A solid run of matches, sitting 3rd and into the quarterfinals of the Cup for the first time. If we can keep up this form, we'll be in the mix for a Europa Conference League spot.

ae6274c503e8fe992aec335dd60d7c7d.png

be11e51206a70da2d7e992521a283267.png

On 03/04/2020 at 20:17, Bitner said:

Good luck, and this Akhobadze guys is dynamite, isn't he?

Akhobadze is annihilating everyone with the U19s and U21s.  

I'm going to have to give him a run of matches with the first team eventually, aren't I? 

353e77ed0771cea247055dcd1cb9dc43.png

He's too good to be with the youth teams.  59 goals and 19 assists, and we're only two-thirds of the way through the year.  But I'm not convinced he belongs with the first team.  When I look at his attributes, and compare him to Tsivtsivadze and Gegechkori, and I'm less convinced.  But he also isn't as far off Gegechkori as I expected him to be.

1 hora atrás, ManUtd1 disse:

Akhobadze is annihilating everyone with the U19s and U21s.  

I'm going to have to give him a run of matches with the first team eventually, aren't I? 

353e77ed0771cea247055dcd1cb9dc43.png

He's too good to be with the youth teams.  59 goals and 19 assists, and we're only two-thirds of the way through the year.  But I'm not convinced he belongs with the first team.  When I look at his attributes, and compare him to Tsivtsivadze and Gegechkori, and I'm less convinced.  But he also isn't as far off Gegechkori as I expected him to be.

He's too quick... i think he'll rise when playing with better players.

Cheers,
Bitner

August 2026.

A month that started so well, with wins over Saburtalo and away to league-leading Samtredia, ends in horror as we drop points in the league and crash out of the Davit Kipiani Cup at home.

The fourth and final round of matches are set to begin in the Erovnuli Liga. The winner is off the Champions League, but we have no reason to think we're in that fight. Three spots in the Europa Conference League are up for grabs. One will go to the winner of the Cup -- the remaining sides are Saburtalo, Dinamo Batumi, Dila Gori, and second-tier Margveti.

Meaning we need to finish in the top 3.  Getting a foothold in Europe would be a massive boost to our fortunes.  But it is also a big ask, given that we're: (1) a point behind Lokomotivi Tbilisi (who has a game in hand); and only 6 points clear of a resurgent Dinamo Tbilisi (who has 2 games in hand). The only good news is that Dinamo reached the Europa League Group Stage, and will thus have to fight on two fronts over the run-in. That modest fixture congestion should give us an advantage, but I don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

f6914f17163ebe0cfb3de6216b860ace.png

f61609182b140c6dd27c12d34939ee84.png

3 minutes ago, Bitner said:

He's too quick... i think he'll rise when playing with better players.

My plan right now is to have him take over the backup shadow striker position next year.  Sink or swim.

October 2025.

The media hype is real.

e815c86a60501fe8934d15a5e838c42b.png

The next day, we host Samtredia while Lokomotivi host Dinamo. A massive day. That is a damp squib, as both matches finish as scoreless draws. All to play for.

Another scoreless draw closes out our October. We aren't playing well. But Dinamo continue to drop points. We're 7 points clear, with 3 matches to play.

e032a27693bbdf5f293753bb01ff693b.png

a3bb8d1e6b734c1267f5200618013715.png

November 2026.

We secure third with a win away to Saburtalo on matchday 34. Get your passports out of the drawer, lads. We're off to the Europa Conference League next summer.

b0d5d60920d9c83900b2514b8a580a4a.png

A 5-1 win away to relegated Torpedo Kutaisi caps off a brilliant first year in the Erovnuli Liga.

dc2a6ccf67388abbd8f7e962b29a76d6.png

As good as our year was, however, I'd be remiss if I didn't loop back to Levan "Goose" Akhobadze, aka the "Georgian Gareth Bale," who had the most absurd year I've ever seen from a U19/21 player.

5ebd6f2c022ffd5207c8a06e59e65c33.png

I can't take any credit. My U19 and U21 managers ran him ragged. He doesn't look at that great. But you ou know what they say. Speed kills. Hence, the nickname.

Based on this campaign, I have no choice. He'll get his shot with the first team next year, as our backup shadow striker.

giphy.gif

Seriously, Levan. Call Kenny Loggins, 'cause you're in the DANGER ZONE.

2026 Season Review.

We came. We saw. We conquered.

Well, not exactly. We had as good a year as we could have ever hoped for, finishing 3rd and securing a ticket for the Europa Conference League. I figured it would take a year of consolidation before we could truly fight for a European spot, so I'm pleased with how things went.

The big challenge will be continuing to upgrade the squad. As noted above, we've already identified 3 players who will join the squad next year -- Lorente in goal, Chachua as a centerback, and Levan "Goose" Akhobadze up top. I'd like to add 2-3 more reinforcements, but am not sure if we'll be able to bring in the quality of player we want. Even with European qualification in hand, we have no transfer budget.

Goals for 2027:  Battle for the Erovnuli Liga title. Not embarrass ourselves in the Europa Conference League.

Squad | Erovnuli Liga | Transfers

Finances | Income | Expenditure

4d7f8f19f668ea44a0dc52acd5348f29.png

81904ebfa84632a1d464ce045051c509.png

6 hours ago, rodesire said:

105 youth goals in a year, GOAT

Goose should just retire. It's all downhill from here. :D

4 hours ago, B.W.G said:

I can only describe your career in one word......epic!

We're just getting started!

February 2027.

It's early days, but we kick of the 2027 campaign with approval to pursue my Continental A License, and a bump in broadcast revenue, to 228k (up from $210k).

The media were clearly not impressed with our 3rd place finish last year, and are predicting we'll finish 6th this year.

777193d4ef84d5618df638358bd2d37a.png

As previously noted, we have only 3 players joining the squad: Luis Lorente, a goalkeeper and Spanish-Georgian dual national who came through Gagra's academy before moving to Saburtalo; Mamuka Chachua, a centerback who arrives from Tskhinvali; and Levan "Goose" Akhobadze, aka the "Georgian Gareth Bale," who promotes from our youth academy after terrorizing the U19/21 leagues last year.

While we conceded the fewest goals in the Erovnuli Liga last year, we were in dire need of improvement in goal and at centerback. Lorente and Chachua will step into the 1st XI immediately.

I'm not convinced that Goose can make the step up to this level. But after the truly absurd year he had in 2026, it's clear that he's too good (too fast?) for the U19s/21s. Let's see how he does in our 2nd XI, and coming off the bench.

Jesus man, how are you already 5 seasons in and in Europe, no less? Did you abduct @Makoto Nakamura's supercomputer?

As for the "Goose", those crazy numbers just confirm that pace and determination are the most important attributes in this game. ;) I suspect he might not score 105 goals for the senior side but will do well. 

11 minutes ago, Bitner said:

Someone here, not gonna say who, said the goose was the real deal.

A visionary, that lad.

Cheers,
Bitner

The Goose is loose.  His first senior goal, coming off the bench away to Saburtalo on matchday 3.  He had one chalked off 10 minutes or so earlier, for offsides.

On a through ball, naturally.

61f86e51f64c5be3852b1be8bc23af95.jpg

He's either going to be utterly brilliant, or a total fustercluck.  There's no middle ground.

March 2027.

136 season tickets sold this year, an increase of 20 from 2026. Ticket prices were not raised as much this year, though, at $13 per match (up from $11) or $84.93 for a season ticket (up from $77.21).

We were absolutely dominant in our pre-season friendlies, facing a brutal first match in the Erovnuli Liga -- away to defending champions, Lokomotivi Tbilisi, the best team in the league. They smashed us, 3-nil. It was painful. A lesson in just how far we have to go, even if we've been solid ever since.

058b775ccefdf18999e437179b8161f1.png

50be97636d728b5b919384e23cb23e63.png

April 2027.

My scouts may not be entirely useless. They identified Patryk Jankowski playing for Poland's U20s. He was without a senior club, and more than happy to sign a 2-year, $275 per week contract with a one-year option.

cdf471bf7d4e88972fa28d39ffd9b0bd.png

Bottom line, he looks the business. He will likely start ahead of Gela "Gelagoal" Jishkariani for the roaming playmaker position, as he looks like he will be a natural fit for the role, especially as he develops.

I'm usually not one for sentiment. That being said, I feel a little bad for Gelagoal, who was pushed out of the shadow striker role a few years ago, dropping back to be a mezzala...before being pushed out of the mezzala roles, and convereted into a roaming playmaker...and now, this. He has a role to play still, only it is in the 2nd XI.

April 2027.

I'm not one to complain about a 10-match unbeaten streak, but... I'm not sure how to complete that sentence.

Because I am frustrated. We added two new players to our defensive unit in order to not make such silly mistakes. I'm hopeful that once Lorente and Chachua are fully integrated, things will tighten up a little bit.

As things sit, we're only 4 points off Lokomotivi Tbilisi at the top of the table. We're improving, slowly by slowly. We need a strong month of May, though, because once the summer comes we'll have additional matches to play with the Davit Kipiani Cup and Europa Conference League qualifying.

a077b3177d169be5336f629f7b5b361d.png

f6c681cb414ca4e20ccbe5dc6c095d99.png

1 minute ago, Rikulec said:

Ohhh, you got a Polish player. :cool: Where is he from and which club did he come up at?

He was one of those players who come through unattached, outside of any club -- my scouts found him playing for the Poland U20s.

He's from Zary:

371af38874818c7bb862264d8a023f02.png

July 2027.

Do you want the good news first, or the bad news?

The good news? Ok. The Erovnuli Liga rises 5 places, to sit 78th in the competition reputation table.

The bad news? Our youth intake preview is atrocious. I'm not all that surprised given our facilities and staff, but... Ouch.

Our European journey is about to commence, though, with a 1st Round tie against Montenegrin side, Buducnost.

b992b608f3f6a74fc95b567924c5de4d.png

d617426f932f5885551856652c3fdc42.png

(As an aside, I have no idea why the Davit Kipiani Cup no longer appears in our competitions overview.)

July 2027.

The first European night in Duruji Kvareli's history could not be played at the Tsentraluri, as we have no seating. Instead, loyal supporters had to travel more than 2 hours, to Rustavi's Poladi which played host to our Montenegrin opponents. The 477 supporters who made the trip were rewarded with a heavy 5-nil win.

That allow me to keep our 1st XI (minus the injured Jankowski) in for an important trip to Saburtalo in the Erovnuli Liga, with the 2nd XI slotted to play the return leg in Podgorica.

We gifted our hosts 2 late goals (this is why you aren't getting a new contract, Lasha), but otherwise the 2nd XI weathered the storm admirably. We lose 2-1, but advance 6-2 on aggregate. Our reward? A massive $88k in prize money (keep in mind our turnover last year was only $685k, total) and a trip to Latvia, to will face Riga FC in the Second Knockout Round.

July 2027.

16 brave souls traveled to Riga, to witness our utter dismantling of the home side. A lopsided 2-nil win does not do us justice, but it certainly makes the trip home go quickly.

The 2nd XI manage a win over Dila Gori at home, meaning we narrow the gap at the top of the table to 2 points after Lokomotivi drop points against Dinamo Tbilisi.

Passage is not assured through to the 3rd qualfying round, so the 1st XI will face Riga at "home" in Rustavi. Again, the 4-2 scoreline flattered our opponents after we gifted them 2 goals. But no matter. We're through.

Another $94k in prize money, with a trip to northern Kazakhstan to face FK Tobol in the third qualifying round.

A big month ahead.

f4fbed53d8c99a983b86bbe40d876b5e.png

a8e89f00bf0439dea24e00c70a88df83.png

August 2027.

As I look through the Georgia-based players whose contracts are expiring in December, I've realized a cold, hard truth. While we've been able to find tremendous bargains in the market over the last few years... There's a ceiling. There are a few players I'm interested in, but none of them are better than the players we already have. And while some appear to have the potential to match them, I can't see any who I can say -- with any measure of certainty -- will be in the 1st XI in three years' time.

I guess it isn't all that surprising. There should be a rough "ceiling" to the level of players we can find in the free transfer market. It simply underscores the importance of becoming self-sufficient, financially. The most direct path to financial independence? Europe.

We host Tobol at the Mikheil Meskhi in Tbilisi, more than 2 hours from Kvareli. We continue our habit of gifting goals to our opposition, and fail to put the tie to bed, having hit the woodwork four times, with one goal called back. Still, we win 2-1, and will head to Kazakhstan with reason to be optimistic. A record crowd (exceeding the current capacity of the standing-room only Kvareli Fortress) and gate, but we want more.

We hold firm in the second leg, dominating the match and securing a 2-1 win -- 4-2, on aggregate. Another payday, and we will face Tondela for a spot in the Group Stage.

d9d128b408cab25edcef788aaf3c475a.png

ab800f9ca3f7f8af92c50418f5feda06.png

August 2027.

90 minutes in Portugal. We played brilliant and -- for once, on this European journey -- we didn't gift our opponents any goals. We walk away with a hard-fought, massive 3-2 win.

Back in our temporary home in Tbilisi, in front of a record crowd of 1,021, we scrape a 1-1 draw after Tondela are reduced to 10 men. We're through. A massive result.

A solid draw, as we'll face Betis, KR and ****aricki.

8163de65b3dda4488318b41edef347ac.png

We also receive a massive windfall for reaching the Group Stage: $3.23 million. We immediately spend it on the expansion of our scouting network (to include all of Europe), improved junior coaching and expanded youth recruitment.

Domestically, with 10 matches to play it looks like a top-3 finish is secured. It's also looks like two-way title race, but Lokomotivi is also in the Conference League Group Stage, so we both have a heavy fixture calendar on the books. Saburtalo could sneak in if we both start to struggle.

7807ed513b51769010f1e713aaa52d6f.png

b12b605058f969ca58c936dc6046a172.png

43 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

August 2027.

90 minutes in Portugal. We played brilliant and -- for once, on this European journey -- we didn't gift our opponents any goals. We walk away with a hard-fought, massive 3-2 win.

Back in our temporary home in Tbilisi, in front of a record crowd of 1,021, we scrape a 1-1 draw after Tondela are reduced to 10 men. We're through. A massive result.

A solid draw, as we'll face Betis, KR and ****aricki.

8163de65b3dda4488318b41edef347ac.png

We also receive a massive windfall for reaching the Group Stage: $3.23 million. We immediately spend it on the expansion of our scouting network (to include all of Europe), improved junior coaching and expanded youth recruitment.

Domestically, with 10 matches to play it looks like a top-3 finish is secured. It's also looks like two-way title race, but Lokomotivi is also in the Conference League Group Stage, so we both have a heavy fixture calendar on the books. Saburtalo could sneak in if we both start to struggle.

7807ed513b51769010f1e713aaa52d6f.png

b12b605058f969ca58c936dc6046a172.png

You've got some serious cash now...

Enjoy!!

13 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

The Goose is loose.  His first senior goal, coming off the bench away to Saburtalo on matchday 3.  He had one chalked off 10 minutes or so earlier, for offsides.

On a through ball, naturally.

61f86e51f64c5be3852b1be8bc23af95.jpg

He's either going to be utterly brilliant, or a total fustercluck.  There's no middle ground.

do you have to play in Georgia to get snow like that?

At Leicester all i'm getting is rain, all year round! 

11 hours ago, KibworthBull said:

You've got some serious cash now...

Enjoy!!

Cash.  Money.

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, Bitner said:

:)

Looks like you're making tamar proud.

Cheers,
Bitner 

We're doing our best, even though the defense was a little leaky at the start of the campaign...and in the middle...

9 hours ago, rodesire said:

Wow, what a huge first European campaign!

Thanks, man!  Tondela's red card in the 2nd leg was huge!  Otherwise, it was relatively straightforward.  I could live with a another few years of this!

8 hours ago, Mandy42 said:

do you have to play in Georgia to get snow like that?

At Leicester all i'm getting is rain, all year round! 

*late 90's Travis intensifies*

The start of every year, we've got at least one match in the snow :lol:

3 hours ago, shimera said:

Woah that's an impressive first season in Europe! Hopefully you can squeeze through in second place after Betis

Thanks, man!  Betis should walk the group.  I just took my first look at Cu**aricki and KR.  There's no question that the Serbians are "better" than we are, on first glance.  KR's squad appears to be roughly on par with ours.

The issue for me is what we prioritize.  A top 3 finish seems all but guaranteed, so we will be in Europe next year.  The question being whether we're in the Champions League qualifiers as Erovnuli Liga winners, or the Europa Conference League with a 2nd or 3rd place finish (or through the Cup).

We're away to Betis on September 16th, and host Lokomotivi on the 19th.  A win over Lokomotivi would give us the inside track in the Erovnuli Liga title race...and that CL spot.  And, let's face it.  We're going to lose that Betis match.  So I'm pretty sure the 2nd XI will play it (and the reverse match later in the Fall), with the 1st XI facing our Serbian and Icelandic foes.  It's going to be a fluid thing.

One thing that is clear to me is that we need a firm 2nd XI next year.  We have a 22-man squad with 3 keepers, which means that our 2nd XI is missing a mezzala (with 1st XI players rotating through).

September 2027.

The 2nd XI do us proud in Spain, even if the scoreline was incredibly flattering. We'll take a 1-nil loss in a match where we barely got out of our own end.

That being said, my squad rotation gambit fell to pieces when the 1st XI (minus an injured Maghradze) lost 2-1 to ****aricki in Tbilisi on Matchday 2.

A tough month, although Lokomotivi is also dropping points in the Erovnuli Liga.

7b87461f8b642082350cd1ddd287f6c5.png

16fc949ee3429772ff4e510b7bb8958d.png

In other news, we're putting our European cash to good use, with upgrades to our training and youth facilities. I asked that the Board expand the Kvareli Fortress, but was denied.

Our youth intake also arrived to great disappointment, as expected. The best players are Konstantine Lobzhanidze and Lado Kobiashvili, both of whom have a long way to go.

October 2027.

A big trip to Reykjavik sees our first win in the Group Stage, a 4-1 thrashing that looks far better than it was. We were lucky to reach halftime level, but were magnificent in the 2nd half.

Our Erovnuli Liga form continued to be less than ideal, but we claimed our first trophy of the season at the end of the month, with a 4-0 annihilation of Saburtalo in the Davit Kipiani Cup final.

As we hit the final run of the season, we are atop the table, 2 points clear of Lokomotivi. But they have a game in hand.

All to play for, lads.

6640a26777666c0dd603848ace8cceed.png

d5f3323538806fca4f6c6d162f533753.png

December 2027.

While we wait for our new youth and training facilities, the Board agrees to add data facilities for the first time and also appear to be renting better youth facilities, now. Progress, slowly by slowly.

A nervy, hard-fought match against KR on Matchday 4 in the Europa Conference League. It speaks volumes to me that in a 2-nil win, our keeper was named Man of the Match. I'll take it.

Matchday 5? Best forgotten, as Vincent Kompany's Betis spank us 3-1 in front of a record crowd of 3,001 in Tbilisi. The bandwagon is careening down the road, folks.

We have no time to lick our wounds, though, as the final weekend of the 2027 Erovnuli Liga looms. We're away to Dinamo Tbilisi, with a 2-point lead over Lokomotivi Tbilisi after they drew against Dila Gori last weekend. Will Dinamo stick the dagger in, or do their neighbors a favor? Lokomotivi host Dinamo Batumi, a side fighting to avoid relegation, but a match Lokomotivi should win.

We need a win. Lokomotivi hold the tiebreaker (results between teams), thanks to their 3-nil win in the first match of the campaign. It is our only loss in domestic competition in 2027. They're the only side we haven't beaten in our 2 years in the Erovnuli Liga -- 8 matches, 3 losses, 5 draws.

We cannot drag ourselves across the finish line. We lose our 2nd domestic match of the year, 2-1, while Lokomotivi find a 71st minute winner.

8ffd2fda3a15ef6f8b620ddf4811adc8.png

We have only one outlet for our frustration -- the final match of the Europa Conference League Group Stage, away to ****aricki, in Belgrade, who sit atop the Group. We have a slight chance of progressing, but only if we win and Betis lose at the Villamarin.

We lose, 3-1, bowing to the heavy pressure from our Serbian hosts. 

Drinks at Belgrade's famous Itchy Kitty are the last item on our agenda for the campaign.

Edited by ManUtd1