[FM20] The Fourth Glass: I May Be Going Nowhere, But What A Ride

ManUtd1

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

October 2024.

We secured the title on October 12th, with 5 matches to play. Liga 2 football is in our immediate future.

Our wobble from late September has passed. We look more than ready to build on this campaign, and fight for promotion again next year. Some players are being moved on from the first team, in anticipation of being able to backfill from the free transfer market (again).

f0bf6d6cd9b6cf0d8ad91f32a530d3de.png

03007a21a34cfb7deafe31e6b636d531.png

November 2024.

Zestaponi pull off the trick I'm hoping to pull off next year -- despite being in the Erovnuli Liga 2, Zestaponi have won the Davit Kipiani Cup, thus qualifying for the Europa Conference League. Of course, our focus will need to be on promotion. But, I'd really love some of that sweet European cash...

giphy.gif
Edited by ManUtd1

November 2024.

The final matches are in the books. Not the way I wanted it to end, with a loss away to Guria, but this has been a tremendous campaign, by any measure.

1bec7c3a3396ca57155151d75c96f5cf.png

1976b37fc62075fa4faa2d8093b6b74d.png

The season review will be up later this evening.

December 2024 - Season Review.

The biggest concern coming into the year was whether we could score enough goals to turn our anticipated superiority into wins. It took a while for us to find our shooting boots, but in the end we finished the season having scored the most goals in Liga 3 (66) while also conceding the fewest (25).

We brought in Mirian Gegechkori to lead the line -- after a slow start, he brought us 15 goals and 8 assists. Top goalscorer, and tied for second on assists (behind Zurab Takashvili, a three-year starter who had a great year with 7 goals and 9 assists).

The big task next year will be to, once again, step up a level and find the back of the net. I'd like to think we can do so, and challenge for that final promotion. I'm planning to let the contracts of 6 first-team players expire. Of the six, Mamuka Lobzhanidze and Aleko Tkebuchava both agreed to move to Chikura -- an Erovnuli Liga side that suffered relegation -- so we'll be seeing them in Liga 2 next year.

The only signing we've confirmed at this point is Irakli Gulordava, who arrives on a free from Betlemi. I'm not exactly sure where I'll play him in my central midfield 3, but he should be a starter.

Goals for 2025:  Not embarrass ourselves in Erovnuli Liga 2. Fight for promotion. Make a run in the Davit Kipiani Cup.

Squad | Liga 3 Overview| Transfers

Finances | Income | Expenditure

ac6c72d3bb67f7c846b62fe541c8a7e4.png

0616e4d5bc7ea4e8d44d3f2973453aaf.png

March 2025.

A few other miscellaneous notes before the first ball is kicked in anger...

The TV money at this level is solid -- $101k for the year. More than I expected, really. But I'm not going to complain.

Our ticket ticket prices have also increased again, to $8 per match (up from $5 last year), and to $50.19 for a season ticket (a 62.53% increase from last year's $30.88). We still only have 32 season ticket holders, but that's ok so long as our matchday attendance continues to rise (we averaged 190 last year).

7cdcd4f0078f2504ab1e8c1d2676e8e5.png

The other thing I'm seeing for the first time in this screenshot? Our owner is "willing to listen to offers," after denying transfer rumors all Fall and Winter. We'll see what happens.

I'm here for the climb :cool: nice work so far.

As you're playing in a fortress I propose the following achievements:

Season unbeaten at home

Season unbeaten at home (top flight)

Season unbeaten at home (inc Europe)

Season without conceding at home.

What else would a fortress be for 💪

5 minutes ago, smp20 said:

I'm here for the climb :cool: nice work so far.

As you're playing in a fortress I propose the following achievements:

Season unbeaten at home

Season unbeaten at home (top flight)

Season unbeaten at home (inc Europe)

Season without conceding at home.

What else would a fortress be for 💪

I like it!  Added these, including the season without conceding as both a domestic only and all comps achievement!

9cc2b38d117dd42df7722a11183f8048.png

March 2025.

A nightmare start to the Erovnuli Liga 2 campaign. We utterly dominated Aragvi, Shukura and Chikura, but dropped points thanks to our profligacy in front of goal. Our domination continued, with Karma gifting us an own goal against fellow promoted side, Shevardeni, before a 2-1 win over Tskhinvali -- both scorelines flattering our opponents.

437f72117bad13c68a2fb73dd29d1b49.png

84fae80635a57e7ab6ac6ce4617a5b4a.png

While I'm frustrated, we are sitting 4th, only 2 points off Merani. There's a lot of football left to be played.

Our best players thus far? The two signings who stepped into the 1st XI, Zviad Meghradze and Archil Ghlonti. It isn't just the average ratings, it's the key passes -- even at this early juncture, while they're still integrating into the squad and learning our tactics, they're making a difference in matches, pulling strings.

bcbc48888fe25f96702b3111bf0700d1.png

April 2025.

Another month of dominance, but a month in which we still managed to drop points from a position of strength. We absolutely battered Merani in Tbilisi, only for them to grab a late winner against the run of play.

Again, I can't really complain. We're only 1 point off Merani at the end of the first round of matches. We also lead the Erovnuli Liga 2 in goals scored (16), with the second-fewest conceded (6). It's going to start coming together. 

30cf5156cf32dd5d9f0afccdc30703f2.png

a1ff24e07e9c7a0c044dae2e573aafad.png

May 2025.

A massive month. 4 matches. 4 wins. 10 goals for. None against.

Top of the Erovnuli Liga 2. There are a ton of matches left to be played, so we can't be complacent.

(I would be remiss if I didn't note that I expected more of a struggle to reach a point where we're within shouting distance of the top tier. My expectations were merely assumptions, of course, assumptions that I should not have made given my time managing lower league sides in small/medium-sized nations over the years, albeit not recently.)

1079d5095618acb436f737aba9b53f59.png

eaf5acb08cb5ac1d362c03e1e1439fb8.png

Just now, smp20 said:

Very nicely done :brock:

Thanks, man.  Since virtually every club is bankrupt (or, upon an infusion of cash, only temporarily solvent), the transfer market is non-existent, and almost everyone is on a one-year contract.  Since the "big" clubs can't outbid us on salary, it's kind of a feeding frenzy to sign people on a free -- either in anticipation of their contract expiring, or once they've been released.  Targeting the "right" players has made all the difference.

Zestaponi are a good example -- they're in the top tier, having won Liga 2 and the Cup last year (they were in the Regional Leagues as of 2020, though, rising to the top after 4 promotions in 5 years).  They have a modest transfer budget, but a negative balance overall.  They put in a handful of 10k offers for our players this past window, which I just ignored.  The players themselves were annoyed briefly, but have long since gotten over it.   If you look at their wages (below), with the exception of 2 players, their players are all "affordable" on our budget.  European money is going to change everything -- the only solvent teams appear to be Lokomotivi Tbilisi and Saburtalo, who have been in Europe for several years in a row.  As a country, Georgia are 41st in terms of qualification spots right now (below), so it isn't even like they're doing well in Europe.

610250fa4b8dc3fdde8140092d7457f4.png 22aabdf3ea2f7a306e7f745274a90540.png

June 2025.

Another tremendous month on the pitch, 5 wins from 5, which opens up an 8 point lead at the top of the table.

f072931c6c9eb1ebed16f01cf857e931.png

d52935b57d3ab80018984870769e9210.png

The hype train is definitely gearing up. So much so that a local investor attempted a takeover bid, negotiations over which have failed. Nevertheless, the Board inexplicably allowed me to take a coaching course, so I'm studying up for the Continental C License.

Then again, our youth intake preview was decidely "meh." While we could use some depth at wingback, we don't play with wingers or forwards.

c9bc78ab4cfe3155d725b8c54e99cb5d.png

July 2025.

We've thrown a bit of a wobble this month, losing at home to Aragvi and drawing away to Shevardeni. But other sides are also dropping points.

There are 15 matches to play. If we can find a vein of form, we can start looking forward to life in the Erovnuli Liga. We also have a big match ahead against Zestaponi in the Davit Kipiani Cup -- the side who did the "double" last year, winning both Liga 2 and the Cup, who are working through the Europa Conference League qualifying rounds right now.

360f6985615a17b424ea29ba58a02e58.png

c85dd057cb7633d400ab40e22fd12116.png

September 2025.

Either our form was going to improve, or we were going to crash out. We started the month with a massive away win over Merani, and went from strength to strength. We're 16 points clear, with 7 matches to play. We're going up, lads.

145a532a2b00e350d20721923f809068.png

626bc0b25f1ccd8d683c9c6e54aeb71a.png

Hey! 

I play civ VI and everytime i play against the Georgians, that woman Tamar says i have a Georgian Spirit, because i build walls around my cities...

I guess i can understand where it came from now.

Good luck, and this Akhobadze guys is dynamite, isn't he?

Cheers,
Bitner 

1 minute ago, Bitner said:

Good luck, and this Akhobadze guys is dynamite, isn't he?

Thanks, man!  I absolutely love Akhobadze...except for his size, strength, concentration, off-the-ball, teamwork...uhh...

Kidding aside, he could be good enough to survive in Georgia.  He'll be given a contract and time.

Agora, ManUtd1 disse:

Thanks, man!  I absolutely love Akhobadze...except for his size, strength, concentration, off-the-ball, teamwork...uhh...

Kidding aside, he could be good enough to survive in Georgia.  He'll be given a contract and time.

Quick, good footwork.

The rest lies on how good are his coaches :D

Cheers,
Bitner 

2 minutes ago, Bitner said:

Quick, good footwork.

The rest lies on how good are his coaches :D

We're ****ed. :lol:

9fdd813baace1579db68764942c169b8.png

My hope has always been that we can hire better staff once we're in the Erovnuli Liga.  We'll see.

October 2025.

We claim the title in mid-October with a 2-nil win over Shevardeni, with the transfer rumors also picking up pace.

31d3d6cc24775f85d4a24b1e7b6e7b39.png

I wouldn't mind debts being cleared, as we're currently looking at a $372k deficit, notwithstanding the big cash infusion last year.

The lads must have been out celebrating our title with too many glasses of chacha, though, because we promptly lost our next two matches. They don't matter in the grand scheme of things, but I'm not pleased.

f9f195a05a876a5426ba6ace184c6ff6.png

38af0eacbee9c39d2a2f4d409cfcc70f.png

16 minutos atrás, ManUtd1 disse:

We're ****ed. :lol:

9fdd813baace1579db68764942c169b8.png

My hope has always been that we can hire better staff once we're in the Erovnuli Liga.  We'll see.

AHAHHAHAUHAISHEUISHUIOSEOHOIUESHSEOIUHSOIUHESOIUESHAESIUHAESOIUAESHES

Cheers,
Bitner 

Honestly @Bitner, that's not even the punchline.  This is:

1c344a4db6f055531a0c20ccbacde991.png

Keep in mind that I was restricted to an assistant and one coach (poor Besik) until this year.  Here is the rest of our senior coaching staff, Giorgi Amirani included:

5ed8a37ceaf0921a06750895b4b7d859.png 1012864b9b06abcd9d6ee852c0433de8.png 5af5cedcf036baedd3dd90ab67d97db6.png 1f5fb643f5d210e1317b8204ce7ed64e.png

November 2025.

My Continental C License is firmly in hand, with my B License in progress, when the news is finally confirmed.

2 days before our final match of the campaign away to Sioni, the long-rumored takeover is complete, with Gigi "Zoidberg" Zoidze investing approximately $500k into the club, to put our finances into the black. I immediately make an important request -- improve our junior coaching, just to see what kind of response we get -- and it is granted.

93013cac1e43e14ceb9e56e0cd044882.png

We lose the final match, but no one cares. We've won the league by 12 points. We've reached the promised land. The land of milk and honey. The Erovnuli Liga.

cc0c53d223d237e50a5793e74e2a7b95.png
16e06532606ca8482a78fcaadb792471.png
Edited by ManUtd1

Neglected to say I immediately pushed my luck...and got an agreement to improve our youth recruitment as well.  I don't think Zoidze has figured out that owning a football club in Georgia seems to be a black hole for cash...that's not our goal, obviously, but...

2ddec009c7457fc97c935a9cfcf78374.png

December 2025 - Season Review.

We're at a critical stage in the save. The end of the first phase, our rise to the Erovnuli Liga.

The end of the beginning.

From here, we transition into the second phase -- the battle to reach Europe and take charge of the Erovnuli Liga. (The final phase is, of course, conquering Europe.)

My sincere hope is that we can continue progressing at a decent clip, and that our newfound status in the top tier will mean that we can recruit better players and staff. Of course, I told the players I was expecting a mid-table finish...and they're all worried that I'm aiming too high. The new Board seem to be a blank slate for the time being, as well, thankfully without any ridiculous demands regarding the club vision.

Goals for 2025:  Not embarrass ourselves in the Erovnuli Liga, and attain a mid-table finish.

Squad | Erovnuli Liga 2 | Transfers

Finances | Income | Expenditure

54d446caa787a68ee9ec22bf4daf3a66.png

eeb009059de2a256bcb7b72f019d3ecc.png

Given, you received 100k in TV money last season in second division, raising the top division's rep to top15 in europe should increase that to 500k-ish.  I'd say, that should make top 2 divisions quite self-sufficient, what do you think @ManUtd1?

January 2026.

Our training facilities were downgraded during the winter break, even though they remain "below average" overall. The good news regarding our facilities (separate and apart from improving our youth recruitment and junior coaching, as previously noted) is that we've gone from renting "poor" youth facilities to renting "below average" youth facilities.

0730653f5e60c2ffb9fa5780e9aa89b7.png

In terms of our finances, we will receive $200k for TV rights, twice the amount we received last year in the Erovnuli Liga 2.

Our ticket prices have also leaped to $11 per match (up from $8), with 52 season ticket holders paying $77.21 per season ticket (up 53.83%, from $50.19).

0489fe18dfa5199e70ea6553512ebe9d.png

That hasn't really loosened the purse strings, although we can scout throughout Eastern Europe now (which I'm using for the standard rule of not signing anyone I can't scout).

In looking through the squad, my initial inclination is that we need a centerback and right wingback, more than anything. In other positions, we should be good enough to stay up. Since we have no budget for transfer fees, we are stuck with the free transfer market (the loan market is grim). Now that we're an Erovnuli Liga side, players who wouldn't return our calls in the past will now at least listen to offers, even if we're not the preferred option.

Before the window opens, our top 2 targets at centerback elect to sign for other Erovnuli Liga sides.

We do secure our target at right wingback, Lasha Kavataradze, whose Rustavi contract expired. Kavataradze will almost certainly take over in the first XI ahead of Nika Ghivinianidze.

We also nail down a new shadow striker early on, a player we did not need but will absolutely take -- Gela Tsivtsivadze, who has been banging in the goals for Mertskhali. Tsivtsivadze will start ahead of Mirian Gegechkori, with Gela "Gelagoal" Jishkariani training as a mezzala to provide depth across the front 4.

Honestly, I love Gelagoal, but I don't see how he's going to be good enough to be a first-XI player. He's not a good enough finisher to start up top ahead of Tsivtsivadze or Gegechkori (although the gap has been narrowed significantly with Gegechkori), and isn't good enough to force his way into our midfield. He will take Ivan Shilakadze's spot on the bench, as Ivane's days are numbered.

It's early days still, but the media are predicting a 7th-place finish.

1593159aba49341723d50df85e83117f.png

I also love that, as you can see in the screenshots above (and in the competition reputation screen), the Erovnuli Liga is on par with the Norwegian, Croatian, Greek, Swedish and Swiss third tiers right now.

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, rodesire said:

well, that was a rapid progress!

8 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Yup, that went rather quickly. :D

8 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Great progression man

The end of the beginning!  We've got so much work to do.  I feel like this is going to be a much tougher year.  I really wanted to shore up the defense but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.  The players just aren't available, and I'm not going to spend a year developing someone for another Erovnuli Liga side, when that player isn't any better than what I currently have.

8 hours ago, rodesire said:

Given, you received 100k in TV money last season in second division, raising the top division's rep to top15 in europe should increase that to 500k-ish.  I'd say, that should make top 2 divisions quite self-sufficient, what do you think @ManUtd1?

I think they'll eventually become self-sufficient, and am leaving the top 3 divisions active.  We just need to get to Europe and start making waves. 

January 2026.

I entered the transfer window intending to sign a centerback and a wingback.

I signed a wingback.

And then, a shadow striker... And now, an attacking midfielder.

e306ab15de220e607d5523dff712c89b.png

An experienced youth international, signed on a free from Academia Chisinau. He's easily our best player, on a two-year deal with a one-year option. He should annihilate the Erovnuli Liga.

Did we need another attack-minded midfielder? No. Absolutely not.

That's why I've decided to play him as our libero.

giphy.gif

When is the last time you won the Erovnuli Liga 2, David?!  Huh?!

I know, I know. With that positioning, he's basically a short, Moldovan David Luiz.

Which is exactly what I like about him.

First of all, it's the Erovnuli Liga. We're not a well-spring of brilliant players. (Yet.) I'd like to think that Vasile's strengths as a libero with an attack duty, will far outweigh his weaknesses. After all, in the defensive phase, we are a ridiculously compact 33310.

0419838b0752e26d6a9c274217332719.gif

It also isn't like Vasile would be replacing a natural libero in the XI. Quite to the contrary. I played Giorgi Varduashvili as one, because at the time of Giorgi's arrival he was easily our most effective player in that role.

dede95fe7a0f33ea988c0cbaf8b60ca8.png

Don't get me wrong. Vasile would start for us in the central midfield. But we have strength and depth there, with players who can do the job in the Erovnuli Liga. Playing Vasile as our libero is intended to improve the XI as a whole, given our lack of depth in the back three, allowing Varduashvili to shift into a centerback role and provide depth, more generally, in any of our central defensive and midfield roles.

Worst case scenario, Vasile is an utter disaster as a libero. At which point we just let him run riot as a mezzala.

giphy.gif

March 2026.

Cold, hard reality is settling in. We've got a long, long ways to go.

Based on these first 6 matches (and our matches against Erovnuli Liga sides, historically), we might have 5 players who are capable of being in the 1st XI for a league-winning side. The standard of play is much better than what we've been facing, due in no small part to European cash and established, well-supported sides (relatively).

I'm not entirely sure how we're sitting mid-table, but we are.

d827a4de85aae61457093ad55f39d347.png

693d2b6157592557ef8cbc57ed86d09f.png

We also have an update regarding season ticket sales -- I jumped the gun this year and last. We actually sold 116 season tickets this year, after selling 52 last year.

Finally, of possible interest, the current European coefficients of Georgian clubs:

6ff7478f68ff02ff8b171458d1120ae3.png

April 2026.

A remarkable month, easily the best stretch of my tenure. 7 matches unbeaten, up to 2nd in the table. It's a bit illusory, though, as 5 of those matches have been at the Kvareli Fortress, and our match away to Dila Gori was perhaps the best performance we've had. (I haven't IR'd yet this year, thanks to retraining Vasile State to play as a libero).

The streak will not continue much longer, we're overmatched. But we'll take any points we can get.

7a1c2c97dc34e351a217fcb368784512.png

a955457b67d49846b8d6f62feb61c80e.png