FM 2020: Sacked after failing to win silverware with AS Roma 1st season

Hi all

At the end of january in my first season with AS Roma I've got a message saying the board wants a meeting because I've failed at a club vision objective (= win silverware), after that i got sacked.

I was third in the competition after 22 games with 2 points behind Inter and 12 points behind Juventus. I've lost in the quarter final of the Cup to Juventus and failed to go through in the Europa League.

What do you guys think of this? Is there something wrong or were my results bad enough to get sacked?

Grts

You can argue it both ways. You can see it as fair enough since your best chance of winning silverware was the two cups you are in, and you are eliminated. It is highly unlikely you will catch Juventus and overturn the 12 points deficit. So the board feel you have let them down.

On the other hand, you have half a season to win the league, even from 12 points back. 

I thought i was doing ok, never got any indication i was gonna get sacked until that meeting...

Roma hasn't won anything since 2008 IRL so why was i expected to win any silverware in my first season? 

Is it possible to change the club vision objectives at the start? I just accepted everything so that might have been my mistake! I was really enjoying this game...

I think if you lost quarter from some other team then ok you didn't fulfill club vision, but first season lost to Juventus board should be understandable because you have good position in the league table, and have chance to get in Europe through league.

I guess club vision is very strict, and Si should make it a little bit flexible like when you see board confidence in older versions like "Board is disappointed that you fail to qualify in cup semi final, but they understand because team lost to Juventus"

Couple of seasons in the future Juventus may be big underdog to your team but at this moment your team are.

After the cup game against juve i did get a message saying the board was disappointed but they understand that we had a tough draw against juve. A day later i got sacked...

I really like club vision but you're right it has to be more flexible!

Not a fun way to end my first FM20 save😁

Personally I think that this is very harsh, despite the strict targets of the board.  I suspect that the club vision is too demanding in the first season for a new manager and there should be a little more leeway for the first season- football, however is a cruel, results driven sport though.

22 hours ago, Gevers said:

I thought i was doing ok, never got any indication i was gonna get sacked until that meeting...

Roma hasn't won anything since 2008 IRL so why was i expected to win any silverware in my first season? 

Is it possible to change the club vision objectives at the start? I just accepted everything so that might have been my mistake! I was really enjoying this game...

Did you agree to the philosophy? If you did you can hardly complain it was too much of an ask 

i won both domestic cups , finished 1 point outside top spot 

failed to get out of europa league group on head to head record.

sacked  ....the only  thing i noticed the club wanted was to reach qtr finals of europa league first season. just a tad ambitious(i think)

i was Rangers.

1 hour ago, cris182 said:

Did you agree to the philosophy? If you did you can hardly complain it was too much of an ask 

I accepted everything when I started the save. Didn't notice the win silverware objective... But it shouldn't be there in my opinion...

Next time I'm going to read all the objectives before starting😁

Could understand Roma desiring to win silverware, but a club that hasn't won anything for a decade firing someone mid season for being just a few points too far back seems on the too harsh side.

tbf your Europa League performance doesn't sound great, but isn't that every Italian club every season and mostly because it's not the priority...

Then again, Roma haven't exactly been shy about firing managers IRL.

1 hour ago, priority76 said:

Crazy, what stage did you reach?  Rangers club vision is so unrealistic.

won four rounds to qualify, finished 3rd in group on head to head record (1 goal)  lost 2-1 away but won 3-2 at home (92nd) minute away goal

when i started the game i dont think i looked carefully at the 5 year plan

Clubs can be harsh, but disappointing things can open up other opportunities, I was sacked from Feyenord after losing 3 straight matches, 1 of those knocked me out of the Euro cup, I was 4th in the league about 9 points off top, 6 games to play and had a 68% win ratio.

Picked up straight away by Ajax, won four and drew two of their remaining games and missed being league champions by 1 point and could have won the league if we hadn't drawn the last game after PSV had a shock loss. Then went on to win the manager of the year despite being sacked.

I loved it at Feyenord, my squad was really coming together and suited my style of play, was gutted to shown the door.  Still plenty of satisfaction seeing the squad I built doing well but even more now when I beat them.