Do you think it's possible to make FM as a web app accessible in browser?

It will be possible with Google's Stadia and I'd love to see FM on that platform.

Would be seriously brilliant using server's to handle the gfx and processing of the leagues. Means I can finally enable all the leagues in the game and have great speeds :D

Plus this would be excellent for whenever I'm not home, I could literally play full FM on my Android phone.

13 minutes ago, markyosullivan said:

Google's Stadia

I've seen the videos of the presentations, and I'm hopefully pessimistic. Not to Google or anything, but having been disappointed by "new amazing features" time and time again, I'll reserve judgement until I see it in practice.

And I'll echo @forameuss; just....why? Why must everything be browser based? Am I the only one who enjoy stand-alone clients more in general?

6 hours ago, forameuss said:

It might sound flippant, but...why?  What makes this better than what we have right now?

it would be more reliable / easy to use etc. The same reason why we use Google sheets instead of good old ms excel

Can't say for certainty, but given the sheer amount of information FM utilises you'd be looking at some pretty hefty server costs and it is likely there would be downtime during peak hours unless overkill was used on server capacity.

Has any game with servers had a smooth launch? Some games have launch issues that last weeks, if not longer. 

Legacy support would be an absolute nightmare, and SI would likely have to recruit a fair few more people just for the server side. 

- - -

Google's Stadia might be the solution, but wasn't it OnLive or something that pitched the same idea many years ago now and fell by the wayside. It's starting to feel a bit like the TV's equivalent of 3D viewing.

4 hours ago, howhigh1337 said:

it would be more reliable / easy to use etc. The same reason why we use Google sheets instead of good old ms excel

How on earth would making your game totally reliant on having a fast internet connection, a game where if your connection dropped out or you lived somewhere with slow internet speeds, be more reliable and easy to use than just having the game installed on your own computer?

You know what happens when I want to play FM? I open up my laptop, I click the FM shortcut and the game opens.

Really, really difficult to do that is...

12 hours ago, XaW said:

I've seen the videos of the presentations, and I'm hopefully pessimistic. Not to Google or anything, but having been disappointed by "new amazing features" time and time again, I'll reserve judgement until I see it in practice.

And I'll echo @forameuss; just....why? Why must everything be browser based? Am I the only one who enjoy stand-alone clients more in general?

Plus there have been several attempts to do what Google are trying now, and each one has failed. I'm not expecting Google to be any more successful really.

4 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Plus there have been several attempts to do what Google are trying now, and each one has failed. I'm not expecting Google to be any more successful really.

By all means, I hope they get it to work. I'm all for new and better ways to enjoy games, but I'm not expecting much until I see how it goes. Burnt child dreads the fire, and all that...

Why? My own machine is perfectly capable of running FM far faster than my apartments crappy internet would let me run it through a server. You would also prevent all offline gaming, which means I would not be able to play FM on a flight, for instance. Or anywhere where I do not have an excellent internet connection.

I simply do not see the need for this, whether it is technically possible or not.

13 hours ago, howhigh1337 said:

it would be more reliable / easy to use etc.

eh?  How does putting it in a web app make it easier to use?  Presumably it's the same app, just hosted elsewhere.  So...where's the ease?

But calling it more reliable...jesus.  You want to put all the weight of processing onto a server, which is hardly reliable, and then put a further reliance on your own setup to stream it down.  

So let's put this as a comparison - the current app relies on your system working, and the app itself working.  Your proposed "more reliable system", relies on your system working, the app itself working, the internet being available, the internet being quick enough, SI servers being reliable and SI servers being quick enough.

So what exactly makes it more reliable?

13 hours ago, howhigh1337 said:

The same reason why we use Google sheets instead of good old ms excel

...again, eh?

Who is this "we"?  Go show me a major company that prefers such programs

And one final point aside from all this.  If they were to implement this, presumably there would be no loss of functionality, and selling essentially the same product, but hosted elsewhere.  So now SI have to pay for development, plus the not insignificant server costs.  So it would be no surprise if it pushed FM from the fairly reasonable price point its at now towards the more ridiculous £60 AAA point.  All to make a worse product.

Cloud stuff is a huge technical overhead and is a massive project to get that up and running. It also costs a fair whack because of this which is why the likes of SI more than likely won't be going with that kind of thing in the near future.

I wonder if you could get it working through Citrix Receiver...

16 hours ago, saintrainhard said:

I think the game itself are actually web based, all clickable (menu, players, competition etc) are hyperlinks

And FM.exe are the browser

No, it really isn't. By your understanding, every computer program is "web based".

Archived