Official FM09: Versatile Players thread

arsenal_2111

Looking for a player to generally cover your team? Mr. Versatility? Well, look no further(Except down the page;)), because here they are!

Please post all players you find who are very versatile, and can cover many positions.

Versatile isn't covering DR and DL, it's covering many more positions. Take a look at my example below for an example. He's a rare case, but you get the picture.

Name: Brek Shea

Positions: Screenshot

Club: FC Dallas

Value: £120k

Sale Value: £725k

Work permit: Needed

Added Info: Scouts say he could be a good Prem player, so will probably be worth a buy.

Let the naming begin!

• 1 month later...

Instead of having big squads with at least 2 players for each position, I prefer to have smaller squads of 18-22 players, with players who can play in multiple positions.

A few good versatile players I have found :

Mauricio Isla - Good physical attributes, tough tackler, can play well in def. or att. midfield roles, and if re-trained would be great cover for the wing back or full back positions.

Leonardo Ponzio - Excellent physical and mental attributes, a leading star at def. midfield in all top leagues and accomplished at right back, RWB, and CB.

Mehmet Ekici - Excellent all round stats, good technically and physically, improves quickly, can play all across the midfield in both def. and att. roles, and can be re trained to be a very useful wing back or full back.

Any others that people want to mention ?

I haven't checked his positional ratings on FM09, however Omar Esparza had a large number of natural and accomplished positions on FM08. They ranged from AMC to LB, and I would expect his level of versatility to be similar in this year's game.

Jerome Boateng can ANYWHERE from midfield to defense. He's very good and can use both feet.

Mark Bresciano can play everywhere in the midfield except for DMC. He's good as well.

Hasan Salihamidzic can play everywhere on the wing.

Mattia Cassani can also play anywhere on the wing. I recommend him. He's good.

Renato Augusto, Marquinhos can play anywhere from midfield to attack.

Willians Santana can play a lot of positions as well.

I've been trying to play some kind of Dutch Total Football so i know of a few.

Elano

Fernandinho

Willians Santana

Hernanes

Eduardo

Illsinho

Fabio

Rafael

Shea

Gerrard

Bodmer

Diarra (Portsmouth)

N'Zogbia

Zabaleta

Vidal

Dyer

Zhirkov

• 3 weeks later...

Name: James Hawes

Positions: DR/L, ML

Club: None

Value: 0

Sale Value: 0

Work permit: Not needed

Added Info: Good little player. Really useful for BSS and he's done alright in BSP. I'm retraining him to be a MR as well

I don't know the sales value or the club as I got him for free after 1 season as I'm doing Dafuge's challenge

Name: Mohamed Kallon

Positions: AMRC , FC; Aml, Cm

Club: free

Value: £0

Sale Value: £0

Work permit: Needed; gets it

Added Info: decent for championship, dribbles, creates, scores the occasional cracker

Name: Andrew Surman

Positions: ML, MLC ; mr

Club: Southampton

Value: £

Sale Value: £ already at the club

Work permit: no

Added Info: versatile,useful in midfield and back, the champioship gareth barry(or that is joe ledley); i still expect from him consistency

Name:Llyod James

Positions: DR, DM, CM

Club:Southampton

Value: £ 100000

Sale Value: £ don't know

Added Info: promising rb, esp. for those loving english players

Name: Binya

Positions: DM ,CM; rm, but retrained maked a good emergency cb

Club:Benfica

Value: £

Sale Value: £ 240 k

Work permit: Needed; get's it

Added Info: good player, versatile, good stat, doesn't develop much; Champioship material

Name: David McGoldrick

Positions: ST, AMR, RM

Club:Southampton

Value: £ 200 k

Sale Value: £ already at club

Added Info:a striker who doesn't score but develops, has to play somewere, so why not be a kuyt(playing Amr).

Name: Adam Lallana

Positions: AMC , CM ; AMLR, ST- competent,

Club:Sothampton

Value: £ 500k

Sale Value: £ at club already

Added Info: if you want like to develop a player here it is

pros : load of potential, a bit of speed,creative; english(for those playing in england), lovely hidden stats (the southampton researcher is a cheater :) ; most of southampton players have consistency and important matches very good, even low potential young players :rolleyes:)

cons : he doesn't look like he is ever gone be the finished article; always missing something; tehnically not gifted enough

Clint Dempsey this year hes listed as useful in only 7 positions AMR, AMC, MC, ST, MR, AML, ML.

P.S: this is disappointing because he was an MLS player of the year candidate at WB 1 year in New England. and roamed all over the midfield for us(either footed the most creative player america has produced save maybe Freddy Adu), hes great in FM and skins me every time i play Fulham. which leaves me with mixed feelings.

Name: Dan Goslin

Positions: DR, DM, MR, MC

Club: Everton

Value: £ 3 m

Sale Value: Hard to say. I would prob not accept anything less than 7m in my game.

Anywhere i play him he seems to perform exceptionally well. Coaches say he can become a quality DM in the future.

Anyone know a good way to utilize these players in a tactic? The only thing I could think of would be swapping positions?

I wouldn't knwo how to use them in a tactic but they are perfect for keeping wage bills down. The player I mentioned in a previous post is currently one of my best subs as he fits so many positions leaving me able to put some better subs that wouldn't get on due to the restrictions. It's also useful as they can just swap about to where they are needed in the side.

• 2 months later...

Thought it might be a good idea to start a thread with the best or your favourite utility players on FM09. You know, those players who don't usually make your first 11 but are really useful to have around as they can play in various positions and fill in when required. Sometimes they're the ones who pop up with those vital goals to win a tight match. Figured we should use the usual format:

Name:

Club:

Value:

Sale Value:

Work permit needed?:

I'll start with my personal favourite:

Name: Eidur Gudjohnsen

Club: F.C. Barcelona

Value: £2,300,000

Sale Value: Around 3-4mil I think

Positions: MC/AMC/FC (easily can be retrained to fill any others up field)

Work permit: No

Signed him for Celtic in 2013, only as a backup, turned into my top scorer with 24 goals in the league. Also signed him on other saves, really useful backup for a top club, up until he's 36.

So go ahead, post your favourite utility players, those who don't usually get the limelight but are an integral part to any squad.

I can't remember the team at this minute but Brazilian Under 20 International Eduardo can pretty much cover all the left & centre spots up to attacking midfield, he's young aswell meaning he can be molded, he's a natural at CB but accomplished in the others, very good player in the future.

I can't remember the team at this minute but Brazilian Under 20 International Eduardo can pretty much cover all the left & centre spots up to attacking midfield, he's young aswell meaning he can be molded, he's a natural at CB but accomplished in the others, very good player in the future.

Seconded. I picked up Eduardo for my QPR team in 2012. If I recall he can play CB, LB, and almost any position in midfield. Not too shabby a player.

This is for the lower league teams... currently a utility player in my Leeds save.

Plays best as a left sided defender/midfielder but can also play in the centre of the park or in a pinch as a striker.

Would dominate League 1 and is good enough for Championship teams as a squad utility player, highly recommended.

Name: Johann Culianez

Positions: DL/WBL/ML/AML/MC/AMC and 'competent' as striker

Club: Amneville

Value: Free transfer (on amateur contract)

WP? Not needed, French

• 5 weeks later...

2h2paw5.jpg

2vmft5v.jpg

Can play 8 different positions at natural, and 6 unconvincingly, which from experience can be trained to accomplished.

P.S. Took screenshot at the start of the game, so that is what you get when you start.

P.S.S. The two stats you can't see in the second screenie are Technique:12 and Workrate:13

Here are his CA-PA stats (not sure if spoiler tags were needed, so I did anyway)

CA 55 PA 90

Name: Alex Teixeira

Positions: Teixeira.jpg

Club: Vasco

Value: £5,250,000 after 3 years

Sale Value: £11,750,000 after 3 years

likely to be cheaper at the start obviously

Work permit: Needed, he's Brazilian

Added Info: Scouts say he is highly recommended for my West Ham first team in the Premier League (5 star PA)

He's only really useful for midfield and above, so he doesn't really qualify for here...but he's useful anyway!

• 2 months later...

In a game I had as Tottenham I bought Billy Jones from Preston North End for somewhere around $3mil (sorry guys, I use dollars ;) ). He's not a starter by any stretch, but he can play well at any defensive position and I did use him as a central midfielder in cup games against weaker sides where he did very well. I bought him to cover for injuries I had on my defense and he was an adequate squad player, young, too (22 or 23).

I would post more details instead of all of these estimates, but I no longer have that save.

But I do have a request- I am currently playing as River Plate and am wondering if there are any versatile players someone can recommend, I've had a number of injuries and could use some more squad players (like good ol' Billy was for my Tottenham team). I can only scout in South America, Mexico, and Japan so those would be the ideal locations for me to get players from, but I'm open to any plausible recommendations.

Instead of having big squads with at least 2 players for each position, I prefer to have smaller squads of 18-22 players, with players who can play in multiple positions.

A few good versatile players I have found :

Mauricio Isla - Good physical attributes, tough tackler, can play well in def. or att. midfield roles, and if re-trained would be great cover for the wing back or full back positions.

Leonardo Ponzio - Excellent physical and mental attributes, a leading star at def. midfield in all top leagues and accomplished at right back, RWB, and CB.

Mehmet Ekici - Excellent all round stats, good technically and physically, improves quickly, can play all across the midfield in both def. and att. roles, and can be re trained to be a very useful wing back or full back.

Any others that people want to mention ?

Dosen't 11x2 = 22?

Is Vanden Borre still good? I remember him being very versatile last year so I would assume he's still very versatile.

I just started a game as Genoa and he looks to be pretty good. Here's screens of his positions and profile:

vandenborreposition.jpg

vandenborreprofile.jpg

Scout says his strongest position is CM. Rates him at 3 stars current ability, 4 stars potential ability.

Archived