Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
JordanBlackpoolFC

New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

Recommended Posts

Any advice as to how this will handle fm 17 and 18 when it's out? I don't imagine the processor would struggle with a large number of leagues and players loaded? Will the graphics card and RAM be okay? 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-720-2-in-1-15-6touch-screen-laptop-intel-quad-core-i7-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-platinum-silver/5722736.p?skuId=5722736

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already have a good gaming PC and a highly capable laptop that both run FM like a charm but I want just a little bit more portability and I'm wondering if any users have some feedback using the Surface Pro 4 or the new 2017 Surface Pro?  Specifically, how many leagues are you running and how many players have you got loaded?  I should point out that I don't really bother with 3D graphics anymore, I'm more than happy with 2D and in all likelihood I'll probbaly stick to FM Touch (though I might venture back to the full game).

Given the above, I think the SP4 or 2017 should handle FM2017 nicely but I'm keen to hear how others are getting on before I jump in and buy - I would use it for a variety of things and old-school wargames and when I'm at home I'll be mostly using Steam streaming but still  need to be as well informed as I can.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to potentially finance an gaming laptop in the near future

Ideally I'd want to be able to run most Europeon Leagues with a few stars in game speed/Performance if that's possible.

If anyone has any suggestions then please send them my way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all

I've currently got this:

HP envy 17 notebook pc with 8 GB RAM,

Graphics card Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600,

Processer Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

 

Speakers are gone and it's about 4 years old, on FM2017 there's a terrible lag on 3d games (and when processing during the game week - I usually play with 2 or 3 leagues) so i'm looking at a new laptop for FM18 so I can play the game smoothly.  One with better speakers and a CD drive for itunes, other than FM i'm generally just using Word/Excel and browsing the internet, so speed and ease of use needed for these.  

I'm looking at this ASUS:

https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-republic-of-gamers-gl553-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-nvidia-gtx-1050-4gb-vram-15-6-full-hd/p3167394

and this Dell:

https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-inspiron-15-5000-series-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-ram-256gb-ssd-amd-radeon-r7-15-6-/p3124483

 

Not an expert by any means, so if anyone has any advice on whether I should get either one (and why) or any other suggestions, that would be very much appreciated!  Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to reply.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Fabulous!

So many Invisible answers. Thanks, all.

 

Sorry missed your query. i3 processors are generally not great for FM. Although this particular model seems good enough.

How it fares, I don't know.

If you want a recommendation for a laptop then please post your budget.

 

17 hours ago, TheHuss said:

Any advice as to how this will handle fm 17 and 18 when it's out? I don't imagine the processor would struggle with a large number of leagues and players loaded? Will the graphics card and RAM be okay? 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-720-2-in-1-15-6touch-screen-laptop-intel-quad-core-i7-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-platinum-silver/5722736.p?skuId=5722736

 

Has no graphics card which means playing 3D matches on low quality etc. 

RAM and Hard drive all good. 

 

 

 

17 hours ago, TheGreatRadish said:

I already have a good gaming PC and a highly capable laptop that both run FM like a charm but I want just a little bit more portability and I'm wondering if any users have some feedback using the Surface Pro 4 or the new 2017 Surface Pro?  Specifically, how many leagues are you running and how many players have you got loaded?  I should point out that I don't really bother with 3D graphics anymore, I'm more than happy with 2D and in all likelihood I'll probbaly stick to FM Touch (though I might venture back to the full game).

Given the above, I think the SP4 or 2017 should handle FM2017 nicely but I'm keen to hear how others are getting on before I jump in and buy - I would use it for a variety of things and old-school wargames and when I'm at home I'll be mostly using Steam streaming but still  need to be as well informed as I can.   

 

I think there was a thread on Surface Pro models - perhaps try searching the forums as I can't find any.

On https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/store/d/surface/8VV4N8VBQG7C/G2H3

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 – 256 GB / Intel Core i5 (8GB RAM)

Anything and upwards should be ok. Although it doesn't specifically give you any information on the parts.

Hard to know. If you find specs - please post.

 

1 hour ago, Jamie9898 said:

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to potentially finance an gaming laptop in the near future

Ideally I'd want to be able to run most Europeon Leagues with a few stars in game speed/Performance if that's possible.

If anyone has any suggestions then please send them my way.

What's your budget?

 

1 hour ago, Finchie said:

Hi all

I've currently got this:

HP envy 17 notebook pc with 8 GB RAM,

Graphics card Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600,

Processer Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

 

Speakers are gone and it's about 4 years old, on FM2017 there's a terrible lag on 3d games (and when processing during the game week - I usually play with 2 or 3 leagues) so i'm looking at a new laptop for FM18 so I can play the game smoothly.  One with better speakers and a CD drive for itunes, other than FM i'm generally just using Word/Excel and browsing the internet, so speed and ease of use needed for these.  

I'm looking at this ASUS:

https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-republic-of-gamers-gl553-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-nvidia-gtx-1050-4gb-vram-15-6-full-hd/p3167394

and this Dell:

https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-inspiron-15-5000-series-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-ram-256gb-ssd-amd-radeon-r7-15-6-/p3124483

 

Not an expert by any means, so if anyone has any advice on whether I should get either one (and why) or any other suggestions, that would be very much appreciated!  Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to reply.

John

 

The Asus is slightly better IMO.

The Dell i7 would be optimised to ultra low power (that's what the U stands for) and less power, means less processing, or soemthing along those lines. - it also doesn't have a good as graphics card as the Asus.

Found this one around the same price - although I'm still inclined towards the Asus.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/30021502-Medion-Erazer-X6601_1972462.html

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Jamie9898 said:

So far I've been looking to finance one in the £1000-1500 range

Something like this

 

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 980 DESKTOP - 8.0GB DDR5, G-SYNC - Geforce GTX VR Ready
M.2 SSD Drive
500GB WD BLUE™ M.2 SSD (up to 545MB/s R | 525MB/s W)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
 

 https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/octaneII-17/MxNnXkUJR7/

 

Now that's a 17 inch screen. Comes in just under 1500

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 No need to apologise, Smurf.

I've been looking at an HP 520 G4 (I5 5200OU)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-250-G4-T6P08ES-Notebook-Review.163822.0.html

How do you think this machine would cope?

Budget wise, not really willing to push the boat out. The new laptop will be for work (word processors), if it can handle FM then it's a nice bonus.

Edited by SlayerX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, danthemanwhocan said:

http://www.qvc.com/ASUS-ROG-Strix-17.3-Laptop-i7-16GB-1TB-256-SSD.product.E290535.html?upsh=1&sc=E290536-CSWB

Any idea how this will perform with the 17 and 18? How many leagues do you think I would be able to get out of it and how well will it perform with 3d matches?

 

Thanks

if you were to be unhappy playing FM on that, you should never be allowed to play FM ever again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DKB said:

if you were to be unhappy playing FM on that, you should never be allowed to play FM ever again 

So its not bad then. haha. Thank you! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, danthemanwhocan said:

So its not bad then. haha. Thank you! 

 

going by Game Debate

(100% recommended)

CPU 328% performance 

GPU 430% performance

RAM 400% performance

---

so you should be fine, even if they should be a bit of here and there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SlayerX said:

 No need to apologise, Smurf.

I've been looking at an HP 520 G4 (I5 5200OU)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-250-G4-T6P08ES-Notebook-Review.163822.0.html

How do you think this machine would cope?

Budget wise, not really willing to push the boat out. The new laptop will be for work (word processors), if it can handle FM then it's a nice bonus.

I wouldn't put too much faith in it - being an i5-5200u - what's your budget?

10 hours ago, danthemanwhocan said:

http://www.qvc.com/ASUS-ROG-Strix-17.3-Laptop-i7-16GB-1TB-256-SSD.product.E290535.html?upsh=1&sc=E290536-CSWB

Any idea how this will perform with the 17 and 18? How many leagues do you think I would be able to get out of it and how well will it perform with 3d matches?

 

Thanks

There's no way to tell how many leagues/database size etc.

Technically all computers can load all the leagues/divisions and large database - it's just the worse the computer is the slower it is, and the better the computer is then the better.

And my idea of going slow or fast is different to the next persons. So it's about finding a balance between what you like in terms of how many are loaded and the speed of the game for you - before it starts going too slow.

However, it's an excellent computer, I suspect you could play lots of leagues with a large database.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi people. Looking at getting a MacBook Pro 13'. Any ideas of what the best one too look at please? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best you can afford.

Do you really need a Mac? They're not the best value, i.e, they are overpriced for what is under the hood. Unless you have specific software for the Mac.

 

There's only 3 to choose from - 1&2 are almost identical. Although 1 has a smaller hard drive and I wouldn't recommend that on that alone - as FM18 will require 7gb of storage compared to FM17 of 3gb storage. So going forward I'll only recommend 256gb SSDs or above.

 

Option 3 is the best option.

 

599eb7443b4ee_ScreenShot2017-08-24at12_23_33.thumb.png.7a61af37af41e832b469d150f5b28e2c.png

 

option 1 you can tailor to have a 256 gb drive - however it's an extra 200 quid - so might aswell just go for option 2 or 3.

In both option 1 and option 2 you can choose a faster processor - but that puts the price up again but it comes in at less than option 3 - but the processor is not as good - apparently.

 

You could go with option 3 and put the best processor on it - but it comes in at £2,219 - which is very expensive.

 

NONE - has an option for a graphics card. Which means 3D matches will be difficult on anything other than a low setting.

 

Consider this 

14 inch

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/AERO-14W-V7-CF3G-Gigabyte-Aero-14W-V7-CF3G_2139553.html

Far superior graphics card - it has a graphics card for all those 3d matches - a lot more Hard Drive Space - and a lot more RAM.

Weight 1.89kg (less than 2 bags of sugar)

 

 

Considering you can't get a graphics card into a Mac the same specs as above would cost you £2,399.00
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All processors in Macs are "u" processors - then one spec'd above from Gigabyte offers a far superior model.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Macs 13 inch that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, FM-ers. 

Need some opinion here. I'm a noob at this. 

Currently, my laptop, which I bought in 2013, is running on gtx765m graphic card. My highest setting to run 3d matches is medium.  Should I try to make it higher, the matches will be jerky. 

I intend to buy a new laptop. If I want to run FM2017 and probably FM2018 at the highest setting for 3d matches, will gtx1060 be enough or I need gtx1080..? 

Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get whichever you can afford - just watch out of different models

(from better to slower)
Desktop • TI • SLI • M • QMax (for thin laptops)

All better than the 1060
However the 1060 also comes in a Desktop and a Mobile version.

 

There are other graphics cards out there though for laptops. Looking at them in order of preference

All High End AND more than enough for FM.

  1. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 SLI 
  2. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 SLI
  3. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080M 
  4. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Max-Q
  5. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SLI 
  6. NVIDIA Quadro P5200
  7. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M
  8. NVIDIA Quadro P5000 large
  9. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q
  10. NVIDIA Quadro P5000 Max-Q 
  11. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M SLI 
  12. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
  13. NVIDIA Quadro M5500
  14. NVIDIA Quadro P4000
  15. NVIDIA Quadro P4000 Max-Q
  16. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M SLI
  17. NVIDIA Quadro P3000
  18. NVIDIA Quadro P3000 Max-Q
  19. AMD Radeon RX 580

And so on

Edited by Smurf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2017 at 13:10, Smurf said:

I think there was a thread on Surface Pro models - perhaps try searching the forums as I can't find any.

On https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/store/d/surface/8VV4N8VBQG7C/G2H3

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 – 256 GB / Intel Core i5 (8GB RAM)

Anything and upwards should be ok. Although it doesn't specifically give you any information on the parts.

Hard to know. If you find specs - please post.

 

Thanks version I'm looking as is:

Intel Core i5-7300U 3.5 GHz

8 GB RAM

256 GB SDD

Intel HD Graphics 620,

Windows 10 Pro

 

Like I say, FM Touch/2D only for me.  I would imagine I'm most likely to run 4-5 countries and maybe 12-15 leagues, something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeh sounds like it would be ok. Althought, not sure about amount of leauges. 

 

It's up to 3.5ghz, it could be anywhere from 2.6ghz and up to 3.5ghz. Most likely at the lower end. You may need to adjust amount of leagues/playable leagues and/or database size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Yeh sounds like it would be ok. Althought, not sure about amount of leauges. 

 

It's up to 3.5ghz, it could be anywhere from 2.6ghz and up to 3.5ghz. Most likely at the lower end. You may need to adjust amount of leagues/playable leagues and/or database size.

And of course it is only dual core, been a good number of years since I was stuck with one of those :D  It's frustrating because a number of threads have popped up about Surface Pros but they rarely credit more than 2-3 replies and certainly never expand on their capabilities.  If I purchase it'll be in November so time to see what others say but on the face of it, it seems to be capable.  The intention is to replace my current tablet and laptop - FM is just a part of what I need it to do and it certainly will beat my current tablet with FM touch, no question.  It's a fair chunk of cash for what you get though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Smurf said:

Get whichever you can afford - just watch out of different models

(from better to slower)
Desktop • TI • SLI • M • QMax (for thin laptops)

All better than the 1060
However the 1060 also comes in a Desktop and a Mobile version.

 

There are other graphics cards out there though for laptops. Looking at them in order of preference

All High End AND more than enough for FM.

  1. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 SLI 
  2. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 SLI
  3. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080M 
  4. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Max-Q
  5. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SLI 
  6. NVIDIA Quadro P5200
  7. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M
  8. NVIDIA Quadro P5000 large
  9. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q
  10. NVIDIA Quadro P5000 Max-Q 
  11. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M SLI 
  12. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
  13. NVIDIA Quadro M5500
  14. NVIDIA Quadro P4000
  15. NVIDIA Quadro P4000 Max-Q
  16. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M SLI
  17. NVIDIA Quadro P3000
  18. NVIDIA Quadro P3000 Max-Q
  19. AMD Radeon RX 580

And so on

Thanks Smurf for the reply. Really appreciate.

So, would GTX1060 be just nice to run FM2017 at the highest setting for 3D match view or i need to get a better graphic card..?

If GTX1060 is just right (or even better), i thought of getting my hand on HP OMEN 15-CE026TX 15" i7 16GB Gaming Laptop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Specs for FM graphics card

Graphics Cards: Cards equal to or better than the following: 

  • Intel GMA X4500
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
  • AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

 

Anything above this should be in theory good enough. However, the GMA X4500 is an integrated into chipsets - and if one was to look at processors with this they may end up with a processor with less than 2.2ghz speed (which is recommended).

 

As long as you stay above the 9600m GT or the Radeon HD 3650 range then you should be good. 

All 19 posted above are better than those. So they should in theory be good.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Page not found

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

I'm a first time poster and in need of advice for a new laptop to play fm17 and eventually 18 in 3d. Budget no more than 500 - so i know i'm pushing the limit. 

I've found an hp for £429 with a 'radeon r7' graphics card - but I don't know if it is integrated or dedicated? I also don't know if it is better than the minimum specification requirements. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-15-ba044na-15-6-Inch-Notebook-Processor/dp/B01N22822L?th=1

There is also a Lenovo for £499  which has a dedicated graphics card: Radeon R5 M430 2GB which i assume is better than whatever is in the hp? It also has more RAM..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-310-80ST005FUK-15-6-inch-Resolution/dp/B073LYH9RK

Would either suffice? Would the Lenovo be significantly better? Open to other alternatives, including refurbs :)

Thanks,

Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Chassis & Display
Cosmos Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 7300HQ (2.5GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Hard Disk
500GB WD Blue™ 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 545MB/sR | 525MB/sW)
M.2 SSD Drive
256GB WD Black™ M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 2050MB/s R | 700MB/s W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 90W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema 3
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8265 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) +BT 4.0, vPRO
USB Options
1 x USB 3.0 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Battery
Cosmos VI Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Keyboard Language
SINGLE COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Single Licence
 

 

 

 

could anyone tell me the approx amount of leagues able to run on this please or recommend any suggestions for change? 

 

Budget of around £1000

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People need to stop asking how many leagues a computer can run.

 

Every computer can run every league with a full database. It's just that the less good the processor is, then the less good the performance and progression from day  to day is.

 

The above one has a good processor, and a crap graphics card (3D matches)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This a general guide - and my own personal opinion - be sure to research each purchase - screen size, weight of laptops are all given in the specs. 

Any questions or uncertain make sure you ask.

I'm not specifically looking at size or weight, but rather what's good for FM based on budget. 

However, they could be anywhere between 13 and 17 inch screens. 

Weight is dependent. Please ensure you check specs. 

 

Laptop recommendations of the week

£0-£450 3D Graphics on Low Settings

Computers in this price range - I wouldn't recommend having too many leagues running or a running a large database, medium sized database would be better.

Ok

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/1JM44EAABU-HP-15-ba106na-red_2097942.html

MY BEST on SHOW

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/T6N58EAABU-HP-250-G4_1958016.html

 

3D Graphics - would not recommend this computer if you want to play lots of leagues/large database

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/X556UB-DM262T-ASUS-X556UB-DM262T_1966546.html

If you're playing for 3D games and you're on a budget - then this computer is for you - however, the amount of leagues and database size needs to be reduced to play on this computer.

 

£450-£600 3D Graphics

OK - Acer have a better reputation when it comes to Battery - if that's a concern for you then this will be for you.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.G66EK.004-Acer-Aspire-V15-in-Black_2095447.html

 

MY BEST on SHOW

MSI have a bad rep when it comes to battery life - if this isn't a concern (plugged in all the time) then this is better than the above.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J562-1673-MSI-GL62-7QF-1673UK_2066567.html

If you don't play 3D Graphics in the game

There's no computer in this range that has an integrated graphics card that I would recommend. If you don't play 3D then simply leave this option off. However, both are very good. Depending on your preference.

£600-£750

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/GL552VX-CN239T-ASUS-GL552VX-CN239T_1952541.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-179675-220-MSI-GL72-6QD-220UK_2002599.html

 

MY BEST on SHOW

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX553VD-DM169T-ASUS-Gaming-FX553VD-DM169T_2119184.html

 

£750-£1000

At this stage I'd only consider i7 Processors - rule of thumb, the bigger the 1st number is in an i7, the better, for example, i7 7xxx is newer than i7 5xxx. And stay away from the processors with a U after them - as HQ or HK etc. would be better.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/30021502-Medion-Erazer-X6601_1972462.html

MY BEST on SHOW

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX553VD-DM595T-ASUS-Gaming-FX553VD-DM595T_2119185.html

 

 

You don't have to go to the £1000 price. Just because it's a £1000 it doesn't mean it's the best.

 

 

Again just my choices based on price range alone - if you find something better then post it! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my old macbook pro is slowly dying (2010 model). Could just about run fm17, not brilliantly, but it worked. Hoping to refresh to a newer model from the range, anyone got much experience on performance on newer macs. Not overly bothered about running the 3d engine (still love the 'dots') and running a huge amount of leagues other than all the english ones. Just would be nice for the game to tell me my computer performance is more than half a star.

 

Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smurf, I am not currently looking for a new laptop but just wanted to say you do a great Job advising people who may otherwise not have a clue. 

I'm knowledgable about desktops but not so clued up on laptops and the information you provide has cleared things up nicely so when i do need to look for things i'm not checking 10 different websites with info that might not make any difference for FM.

so i guess what I am trying to say is when I am looking in future you may hear from me but if not thanks because all the information you provided will have helped massively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sparrow1988 said:

So my old macbook pro is slowly dying (2010 model). Could just about run fm17, not brilliantly, but it worked. Hoping to refresh to a newer model from the range, anyone got much experience on performance on newer macs. Not overly bothered about running the 3d engine (still love the 'dots') and running a huge amount of leagues other than all the english ones. Just would be nice for the game to tell me my computer performance is more than half a star.

 

Thanks in advance

If you don't have Mac specific software then they're a colossal waste of money. Especially if you're only FM'ing.

If you've got specific software that requires a Mac - then get the one you can afford. They're terribly overpriced for what's under the hood.

If you have a specific budget in mind - I'll take a look for you and see what's best.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kev83 said:

Smurf, I am not currently looking for a new laptop but just wanted to say you do a great Job advising people who may otherwise not have a clue. 

I'm knowledgable about desktops but not so clued up on laptops and the information you provide has cleared things up nicely so when i do need to look for things i'm not checking 10 different websites with info that might not make any difference for FM.

so i guess what I am trying to say is when I am looking in future you may hear from me but if not thanks because all the information you provided will have helped massively.

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

 

Great thread, it would be even more helpful if I wasn't such an airhead these days!

Would I be right in saying that this laptop, now on offer...

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX553VD-DM595T-ASUS-Gaming-FX553VD-DM595T_2119185.html

 

would represent better value for money & performance than this one...

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J562-1673-MSI-GL62-7QF-1673UK_2080712.html

 

Thanks in advance fellas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Smurf said:

If you don't have Mac specific software then they're a colossal waste of money. Especially if you're only FM'ing.

If you've got specific software that requires a Mac - then get the one you can afford. They're terribly overpriced for what's under the hood.

If you have a specific budget in mind - I'll take a look for you and see what's best.

 

 

I just enjoy using my mac if im honest. The thing i don't understand is processors. Mine, at 7 years old is running a 2.4ghz intel core duo, whereas the new models ship with a 1.3ghz processor??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, looking for a new laptop, budget is £900, iv been looking at a couple.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-k501ux-15-6-laptop-grey-10146453-pdt.html

 

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-power-15-cb060sa-15-6-gaming-laptop-black-10164666-pdt.html

I play FM in 3D so would want this, also would these graphics cards be sufficient for FM 2018.

If anyone could reccomend a laptop too that would be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mrbluejay said:

Hi All,

 

Great thread, it would be even more helpful if I wasn't such an airhead these days!

Would I be right in saying that this laptop, now on offer...

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX553VD-DM595T-ASUS-Gaming-FX553VD-DM595T_2119185.html

 

would represent better value for money & performance than this one...

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J562-1673-MSI-GL62-7QF-1673UK_2080712.html

 

Thanks in advance fellas.

Definitely the 1st one is the better computer. They're both nearly identical - but you're right, the first one has a better processor and a slightly betterish graphics card.

I'd go for the 1st one.

 

6 hours ago, Sparrow1988 said:

I just enjoy using my mac if im honest. The thing i don't understand is processors. Mine, at 7 years old is running a 2.4ghz intel core duo, whereas the new models ship with a 1.3ghz processor??

I just don't think you'll get the value out of a Mac - if you really want one, then what's your budget and we'll take a look at the configurations Apple offer.

I think you're overpaying, and if it's mainly for FM then I think you are wasting your money - and you could could a PC laptop for half the price that's better. 

 

5 hours ago, robbie_start said:

Hi all, looking for a new laptop, budget is £900, iv been looking at a couple.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-k501ux-15-6-laptop-grey-10146453-pdt.html

 

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-power-15-cb060sa-15-6-gaming-laptop-black-10164666-pdt.html

I play FM in 3D so would want this, also would these graphics cards be sufficient for FM 2018.

If anyone could reccomend a laptop too that would be great.

What's posted above is very good and I'd recommend over the two posted here

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX553VD-DM595T-ASUS-Gaming-FX553VD-DM595T_2119185.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again - my personal opinion - please research screen size, weight of laptop etc. until you're satisfied - please research all elements as posted as it is just my opinion.

Laptops of the week

£0-450

3D Matches

The below would do - but the processor is under powered and would struggle witha  lot of leagues loaded and a medium database. 

Recommend only a few leagues and small database - would suit people who like to play 10 seasons and start over. 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Products/cat/Laptops/refine/max~450$46567~171251

 

Non-3D Matches

For those who don't necesarily require 3d matches, but wante a longer game play with bigger databases - but on a smaller budget!

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Products/cat/Laptops/sort/1/refine/max~450$46562~144410$46562~144409$46563~67690

This is ok and would suit some people. Please ask more about it.

 

£450-650

3D Matches

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J562-1673-MSI-GL62-7QF-1673UK_2066567.html

However, more storage and apparently better battery - PRocessor slighly older but more than adequate for FM

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.G66EK.004-Acer-Aspire-V15-in-Black_2095447.html

Non-3D Matches

None that I would recommend  see laptops above and simply do not play on 3D

 

£650-850

3D Matches

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX553VD-DM595T-ASUS-Gaming-FX553VD-DM595T_2119185.html

Non-3D Matches

None that I would recommend  see laptops above and simply do not play on 3D

 

£850-1000

Nothing spectacular to report

 

I think you'll have to go above and beyon £1000 to get something a lot better. 

 

However, these are my picks for the week! Hope it helps! 

 

Remember to always ask the question before you buy! And Always post your laptop you're going to buy in this thread - as there are some excellent people who can point you in the right direction!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J942-011-MSI-GP62-7RD(Leopard)-011UK_2078098.html

 

Hi Smurf, loads of the MSI laptops around the £800/£900 price range seem exactly the same or very similar

 

The link above is the best from what I can see, but I'm not 100%

 

I just wondered If I'm right as it's all a bit confusing for me

 

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joef599 said:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J942-011-MSI-GP62-7RD(Leopard)-011UK_2078098.html

 

Hi Smurf, loads of the MSI laptops around the £800/£900 price range seem exactly the same or very similar

 

The link above is the best from what I can see, but I'm not 100%

 

I just wondered If I'm right as it's all a bit confusing for me

 

Thanks

 

It looks good as a 15 inch screen

 

There's a similar one to it in 17 inch https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-179586-1007-MSI-GL72-7QF-1007UK_2067944.html

 

Albeit a slightly older graphics card - but they are on par - I would think, certainly good enough for FM.

 

Choice is yours 15 inch vs 17 inch screen.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking at getting another laptop (one with windows 7) so i can play old games (FM/CM) for my twitter page. dont want to pay over £60 for it. any ideas?

 

was thinking about this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-RV-series-RV510-15-6-320GB-Intel-Celeron-Dual-Core-2-10GHz-3GB/232474607517?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea what versions of FM/CM or what other games you want to play.

 

It's impossible to recommend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Joef599 said:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J942-011-MSI-GP62-7RD(Leopard)-011UK_2078098.html

 

Hi Smurf, loads of the MSI laptops around the £800/£900 price range seem exactly the same or very similar

 

The link above is the best from what I can see, but I'm not 100%

 

I just wondered If I'm right as it's all a bit confusing for me

 

Thanks

 

I've got this laptop last week and although its a grand it plays FM absolutely perfectly. Got loads of leagues loaded,large database and all graphics set to full in match. I watch matches in 2D anyway but if 3D's your thing this will run brilliantly.

 

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-msi-ge62-7re-apache-pro-28ghz-core-i7-7700hq-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-plus1tb-hdd-geforce-4gb-gtx-1050t

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi i am currently looking at getting a new laptop to play FM17/18 with 3d graphics. Im not to keen on the big gaming laptops, I would want something that was more portable and light which also has a really nice screen. has anyone got any recommendations was thinking about getting this

 http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-xps-15-15-6-laptop-silver-10157223-pdt.html#srcid=11026

which is the top of my budget.

I was also looking at a macbook pro with i5 processor but dont think it will run that well. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, AdamLee said:

Hi i am currently looking at getting a new laptop to play FM17/18 with 3d graphics. Im not to keen on the big gaming laptops, I would want something that was more portable and light which also has a really nice screen. has anyone got any recommendations was thinking about getting this

 http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-xps-15-15-6-laptop-silver-10157223-pdt.html#srcid=11026

which is the top of my budget.

I was also looking at a macbook pro with i5 processor but dont think it will run that well. 

 

That laptop isn't great at all - for a simple reason the Hard Drive is the slowest hard drive on the market at 5200 RPM and it only boasts a 32gb SSD drive. 

I've looked around and don't see anything on mainstream sites for you

- however, specialists sites do have better options at a much lower price - plus this won't come loaded with bloatware.

 

You can reconfigure to add more RAM or increase the processor - if you really want to top out the 1400 budget you have - let me know and I'll reconfigure.

 

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/optimusVIII-15/AugDWG8v7V/
£971.00 inc. VAT

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 7300HQ (2.5GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
M.2 SSD Drive
500GB WD BLUE™ M.2 SSD (up to 545MB/s R | 525MB/s W)
Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND

This comes in a lot cheaper than the Dell one. I've checked a few forums - and people think it's quite portable and light weight - I guess it's subjective.

 

If in doubt, ask over at PC Specialist for a specific weight.

 

44 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

I've got this laptop last week and although its a grand it plays FM absolutely perfectly. Got loads of leagues loaded,large database and all graphics set to full in match. I watch matches in 2D anyway but if 3D's your thing this will run brilliantly.

 

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-msi-ge62-7re-apache-pro-28ghz-core-i7-7700hq-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-plus1tb-hdd-geforce-4gb-gtx-1050t

 

 

Similar laptop here for £150 cheaper https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J942-011-MSI-GP62-7RD(Leopard)-011UK_2066572.html

 

 

Edited by Smurf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

No idea what versions of FM/CM or what other games you want to play.

 

It's impossible to recommend.

fm2005 2006 etc can only be played on windows 7. i need the best cheap option laptop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BusbyFergieJose said:

fm2005 2006 etc can only be played on windows 7. i need the best cheap option laptop.

One you posted should be ok for FM05

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BusbyFergieJose said:

fm2005 2006 etc can only be played on windows 7. i need the best cheap option laptop.

I'd say any laptop would be good for a game that old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello looking for a laptop to last me and to be ables to run most leagues have around £500-700 to spend also wanna be able to play 3d matches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...