Individual Player Mentality

3 minutes ago, Pompey_Dan said:

I have been mostly using a structured team shape (flexible on occasion) but, as mentioned above, I will be avoiding those more fluid shapes as I fear they will draw the individual mentalities closer together and over commit my defence.

It's a tool in the tool box too though. I do agree though, I tend to increase my fluidity when I have defensive mentalities set in an effort to coordinate my defensive efforts.

That said, I overwhelmingly play on Flexible since I get results :p

2 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

i tend to think if im countering, i want fluidity. In that situation id tell players to roam from their positions too.

If intending to be dominant, i think its better to play with structure.

Actually, structured shapes are more suited for counter attacks/fast transitions. As attackers are more likely to bomb forward earlier and do their own thing. And you almost certainly wouldn't roam from positions. Roam from positions is more suited to breaking down a defensive team.

If you want to camp, fluid is generally more suitable as it allows for more players to be involved in transitions. That said, you can still camp playing on structured if you don't wan't to over commit numbers into attack. That is infact an ideal situation to play "roam from positions" - if you are trying to camp on structured.

3 hours ago, NabsKebabs said:

That said, you can still camp playing on structured if you don't wan't to over commit numbers into attack.

You just need to make sure the attacking duties are good enough to hold the ball up, find roles that do that, and make sure again that he has the right attributes.

Only a few things I will add to the OP's post. There are some roles that are hard coded to behave in a certain way. Eg. Segundo Volante, Carrilero, the values of these players get modded under the hood by locked in behaviour to ensure they play the way the devs wanted.  The higher a position the player takes on the pitch the more his mentality gets affected by a change in Mentality/Duty if he is playing on a lower shape, if shape is increased then he drops more inline with the rest of the team. The analogy of everyone singing Kumbaya still holds. 

The best way to play the game is to think of mentality/shape roles and duties as one big concept. When you want to choose what a player does think of your overall strategy, then think about how you want to achieve that. Are there players you want specifically attacking space? Do you want other players to make space for him. Do you have players who can do that kind of a job? Can they hold the ball up under pressure? These are questions you need to ask yourself.

Once you have a clear vision on what you want, ask yourself how much risk are you willing to take. Can your boys defend? How well can they defend. Do they defend crosses well? This determines whether you should go in with a narrow or wide defence. And it also helps you decide if you want a static or non static defence (DM or non DM). Ultimately, how the roles and duties interact will define how your team moves the ball up the pitch.

In my book, the concept of mentality, shape and roles and duties takes up a good 20-30 pages, and yeah its a similar approach to what's been described by the OP. However, I have found that over the years, the best way to udnerstand it is to remember that there are aggressive and non aggressive roles. A WB and a FB are fundamentally different, in fact while under certain circumstances they could share the same mentality, one role is hard coded to be more aggressive than another. So you need to understand the roles too.

• 3 months later...

Great post.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how player mentality affects player traits?

For example, if I have a player with the 'Tries killer balls often' trait, will a lower mentality reduce the number of 'killer balls' this player will attempt? And a higher mentality increase it?

Or do those traits work independently of mentality?

2 minutes ago, peter_b said:

Great post.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how player mentality affects player traits?

For example, if I have a player with the 'Tries killer balls often' trait, will a lower mentality reduce the number of 'killer balls' this player will attempt? And a higher mentality increase it?

Or do those traits work independently of mentality?

They'll do it regardless and how often is linked to the players attributes and not any team setting.

Just now, Cleon said:

They'll do it regardless and how often is linked to the players attributes and not any team setting.

Agreed, cos it would look very strange if a team is playing on overload and someone with killer balls is pinging them ALL the time.

9 minutes ago, Cleon said:

At the risk of sounding stupid: which attributes would that be? Or are they hidden ones?

22 minutes ago, peter_b said:

At the risk of sounding stupid: which attributes would that be? Or are they hidden ones?

Well in short lots of them. But decisions will be the biggest factor.

2 hours ago, peter_b said:

I would think visions, decisions and teamwork. Flair may play a part. Passing and technique to actually pull it off would be required. 

Edited by NabsKebabs

• 1 year later...

With team shape not existing anymore i have a question. We have the description on our tactics screen on the bottom left. Fluid, structured etc. Also when this description change the creative freedom bar changes too. So is just visual or still team shape has impact on our tactics?

Edited by zgiorgos10

As far as I know it is only visual and the more support duties you have in your team the more fluid your team fluidity becomes. Just get the tactic right as well as having the right players for the roles/duties in your team.

Edited by frukox