FM18: Liverpool FC - Pace Abuse

cezar.sl

Ive won every trophy except the champions league already lost 2 finals & got belted 3-0 by spurs Beletti is a goal scoring machine over 100 goals in 3 seasons in my save now all the big clubs want him had a mini rebuild end of season 4 replaced some older players with younger ones 

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

up to the middle of October in my first save on FM 18. 

top of the league by 1 point with 6 wins, 1 Draw and 1 loss. 

CL group has started well with 2 wins out of 2 against Spartak and Honved. PSG up next. 

not too bad of a start but finding keeping a clean sheet difficult. seems very tough to put together a possession based tactic like previous versions. Attacking tactics bring the results but at the expense of being strong at the back. 

Anyone else struggling away from home? I'm in my second season now, halfway through the first I was top of the league and 6 points clear, come to the end of the season I scraped 4th place on goal difference... 

I play a 433 narrow  (found on another forum) and at Anfield the results are unreal... Defensively always likely to concede goals, but going forward always notched 3 or 4 goals a game, won every game at anfield in all competitions bar a 3-3 draw with Manchester United. The tactic focuses on counter pressing, most of my goals came from winning the ball in midfield playing it forward to salah or mane who would then work it into the box to firmino. 

The front 3 of Mane (CFs) Firmino (CFa) and Salah (CFs) got so many goals, firmino with 40 in all competitions! All 3 had 10+ assists in all comps. Solanke, Breswster and woodburn all played well in this formation as well, solanke (first half season pre loan) scored 12 times, woodburn scored 14 times and brewster got 4 in 2 starts. 

Away from home started well with this tactic, however a run that started with a 7-1 away defeat to Porto in the final CL group game (i'd already qualified and played the kids) and went onto the second to last game of the season where i finally got an away win. 

In the league, i finished with the following away record: P(19) W(5) D(9) L(5) 

My home record in contrast: P(19) W(18) D(1) L(0) 

For my second season, i am looking to use a new away tactic, probably a 433 with a holding midfielder, and wide inside forwards, still looking to press but with more bodies defending. 

Heres the tactic I used ( i removed get stuck in, too many cards): http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-18-tactics/368164-crazy-433-v.html

CRAZY 433 V-tac.png

As for signings, Ive tried to use what i have as much as possible, with Ox playing excellently in central midfield, Milner was also incredible. Here are my signings in and out:

January 2018 in > Dolberg (25m), Maguire (35m), Demiraby (24m)

January 2018 out > Lovren (40m), Ings (loan), Solanke(loan), ward (5m)

Summer 2018 in > Donaruma(33m), Lemar(100m+addons), De ligt (14m), Keita (60m)

Summer 2018 out > Maguire(17m), Wijnaldum (40m), Can(70m), Sturridge (20m), Ings(12m), Flanagan (4m), Markovic (7m), Grujic(7.5m), Mignolet(17m) 

On 2/13/2018 at 09:23, Staf9 said:

up to the middle of October in my first save on FM 18. 

top of the league by 1 point with 6 wins, 1 Draw and 1 loss. 

CL group has started well with 2 wins out of 2 against Spartak and Honved. PSG up next. 

not too bad of a start but finding keeping a clean sheet difficult. seems very tough to put together a possession based tactic like previous versions. Attacking tactics bring the results but at the expense of being strong at the back. 

Quick update. now in the middle of December. top of the PL by 2 points from Chelsea with spurs 3rd 3 point back. bit of a gapt down then to United, City and Arsenal who are 8 points off the pace. 

have been playing around with tactics a bit to try and get a possession based one going. think i have something almost right on it but its cut down the goals scored a good bit from the attacking tactics i had. 

finished second in my CL group behind PSG. should've topped it but lost the last game to Spartak away 1-0 and that let PSG ahead. 

Got Juventus in the 2nd round draw. 

one thing annoying me is the amount of players who come forward unhappy with game time. i'll be looking to sell at least 5 without needing to replace them in the Jan window. Klavan, Ings, Solanke, Lallana & Markovic can all go and not have any effect on my first team rotation at all. 

Sturridge, Mignolet, Gini and Milner all want to leave for first team football. 

On 16/11/2017 at 10:33, TheYurpman said:

I'll offer my tactics to try to help with anyone struggling. I'm 12-2-1 in the EPL in the beginning of December, won all of my CL games in my group thus far (Dortmund twice, Shaktar twice and AIK once and about to play a meaningless game two) and made it to the quarter finals of the Carabao Cup thus far (not that this matters). Haven't played an FA Cup match yet.

I play a 4-2-3-1 with Control and Flexible as my structure. My team instructions are: Retain Possesion, Play Out Of Defense, Run At Defense, Work Ball Into Box, Drop Deeper, Be More Expressive, Close Down Much More, Prevent Short GK Distribution and finally Get Stuck In. "Get Stuck In" is something I alter depending on the referee, the opposing team, and if I start getting a ton of fouls I'll remove it during the match. It's more a personal preference.

Goalkeeper: Goalkeeper

RB: Full-Back (Attack)--RCB: Ball Playing Defender (Defend)--LCB: Central Defender (Stopper)--LB: Full-Back (Attack)

MCR: Advanced Playmaker (Support)--MCL: Advanced Playmaker (Support)

AMR: Inside Forward (Attack)--AMC: Attacking Midfielder (Support)--AML: Inside Forward (Attack)

ST: Advanced Forward (Attack)

Like I said, I've only lost one match (Chelsea 2-1 away) and I'm in December. This formation gives you flexibility with Couthinho, Firmino, Mane, Salah, and Ox. Many of them are interchangeable within all the AM position.  All starting 11 of my players have average ratings at, or above, 7.4ish. I've won Manager of the Month all four months thus far.

Hopefully this helps someone. :)

Hey Yurpman, how do you go against teams that park the bus? Any changes to your tactics? 

Thanks very much

Had an amazing first season, winning Prem, FA Cup, League Cup, and finally Champions League.

Mane got 42 goals in all comps and Salah 32.

My squad as of July 5th before second season is :

GK          Donnarumma (Horn)

CB           De Vrij (De Ligt)

CB           Rugani (Gomez)

CB           Umtiti (Sarr)

RWB      Alexander-Arnold (Clyne)

LWB       Bernat (Tierney)

CM         Coutinho (Arthur)

CM         Keita (Henderson)

STR         Salah (Woodburn)

STC         Icardi (Origi)

SLT         Sane (Alexis Sanchez)

Have spent some huge money but have actually turned in a small profit by selling virtually all of the older squad players (and a very injury prone Firmino for 82M).  Want to get rid of Henderson and Clyne too and replace them with younger options- both valued at 50M but cant get an offer at half that price - so they're staying for now as back-ups.

Focus from now on is to end the spending spree and start buying and introducing cheaper young players.

On 14/02/2018 at 14:04, samc44 said:

Anyone else struggling away from home? I'm in my second season now, halfway through the first I was top of the league and 6 points clear, come to the end of the season I scraped 4th place on goal difference... 

I play a 433 narrow  (found on another forum) and at Anfield the results are unreal... Defensively always likely to concede goals, but going forward always notched 3 or 4 goals a game, won every game at anfield in all competitions bar a 3-3 draw with Manchester United. The tactic focuses on counter pressing, most of my goals came from winning the ball in midfield playing it forward to salah or mane who would then work it into the box to firmino. 

The front 3 of Mane (CFs) Firmino (CFa) and Salah (CFs) got so many goals, firmino with 40 in all competitions! All 3 had 10+ assists in all comps. Solanke, Breswster and woodburn all played well in this formation as well, solanke (first half season pre loan) scored 12 times, woodburn scored 14 times and brewster got 4 in 2 starts. 

Away from home started well with this tactic, however a run that started with a 7-1 away defeat to Porto in the final CL group game (i'd already qualified and played the kids) and went onto the second to last game of the season where i finally got an away win. 

In the league, i finished with the following away record: P(19) W(5) D(9) L(5) 

My home record in contrast: P(19) W(18) D(1) L(0) 

For my second season, i am looking to use a new away tactic, probably a 433 with a holding midfielder, and wide inside forwards, still looking to press but with more bodies defending. 

Heres the tactic I used ( i removed get stuck in, too many cards): http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-18-tactics/368164-crazy-433-v.html

CRAZY 433 V-tac.png

As for signings, Ive tried to use what i have as much as possible, with Ox playing excellently in central midfield, Milner was also incredible. Here are my signings in and out:

January 2018 in > Dolberg (25m), Maguire (35m), Demiraby (24m)

January 2018 out > Lovren (40m), Ings (loan), Solanke(loan), ward (5m)

Summer 2018 in > Donaruma(33m), Lemar(100m+addons), De ligt (14m), Keita (60m)

Summer 2018 out > Maguire(17m), Wijnaldum (40m), Can(70m), Sturridge (20m), Ings(12m), Flanagan (4m), Markovic (7m), Grujic(7.5m), Mignolet(17m) 

Halfway through my second season now, currently in first place and still in all of the cup competitions (league cup semi, CL R16 and FA cup 4th round) 

Still using the 433 narrow at home, to great effect, scoring a lot of goals

Firmino has 32 goals in 18 league games which is ridiculous. He got 40 goals in 48 appearances the previous season and looks like he will smash that record in the league alone. He won the ballon d'or in 2018 for his goalscoring efforts, scoring 48 in 40 games and registering 15 assists. 

Salah has been excellent scoring and assisting, Mane has been less effective but still chips in with goals and assists. I use a more defensive 433 wide away from home which has also been successful. 

my starting XI is below:

GK: Donarumma 

RB :TAA    (Clyne)

CB:Van Dijk    (De light)     

CB: Romagoli     (Gomez)

LB: Moreno      (Robertson)

RCM: Lemar     (Lallana)

CM: Keita     (Henderson)

LCM: Oxlade-Chamberlain     (Demiraby)

STR: Salah (Solanke)

STC: Firmino     (Dolberg)

STL: Mane         (Woodburn)

January transfers 2019:

In > 10x 3m U20 players (mainly regens, some look very good), Romagnoli 32m

Out > Matip 65m (Real Madrid)

My net spend is very low which I am pleased with, I have recouped a lot of money from selling players.  Despite this, I have still spent big on a lot of players, like Lemar (100m+). 

near the end of Jan in my first season. made massive squad changes in the window as a number of players wanted to move due to not getting enough first team games. ( i rotate fully every game but as some were only getting LC games they wanted to move on)

Matip started it all as Bayern bid 42m for him and Coutinho deal was in place before i started my save so he's gone for 140m. then i went on a selling spree out went

Flannagan, Markovic, Ings, Milner, lallana, Gini, Klavan. all sales brought in over 300m for me to spend. 

i have brought in VVD, De Ligt, Ryan Sessgnon, Ruben Neves, Arthur, Savic, Rodrygo and Dolberg. Apart from VVD everyone is on a rotation or back up contract so that should ease the issues over rotation

On 2/16/2018 at 19:13, keepforgettingmydetails said:

Hey Yurpman, how do you go against teams that park the bus? Any changes to your tactics? 

Thanks very much

No, not really. I sometimes may make the midfielders take a more attacking role but that's very rare. Usually I just stick my tactics and I'll get at least a goal. I've played two full seasons and I think I've had one single 0-0 draw.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:59, PNEFC1880 said:

IMO, this is one of the biggest problems with FM18, when a player plays consistently every game and becomes a valuable first team player they have ridiculous contract demands, I've seen some players ask for twice, thrice or even 5 times their current wage for 2 seasons worth of 7.3 avg performances. Very annoying.

But I have had a player since my first youth intake who has been a first teamer of 5 star ability for two seasons now only on 3.8k and when asking for a new contract was only after 80k with no loyalty bonus and no sell on fee... I have to say i messed up and got greedy demanding he lower it to which led to MANY stale mates now he is on 100k :D lol. Gutted, but he is worth it... he is a small Stevie G.

Just starting my 5th season, 

won the world cup with Italy on the back of winning EVERYTHING with Liverpool (again).

I had a HUUUUUUGE clearout this summer, 

OUTS

Alena £60mil (bought for 6mil 2 seasons ago)

Coutinho £80mil, had one good season in 4 years was sad that i couldnt get him better.

Rugani £65mil

few regens one for 50mil who played one game for me lol.

in all recouped over 300 million.

As a treat i bought Kroos for 35million as i had a spare foreign slot on the team.

My star players are:

Kyle Wedge (the small Stevie G like regen from my first intake)

Asensio better version of Coutinho (sadly)

D'Amico (PSG were willing to spend around 80mil for him but i offered him a new deal 130K per week)

Pellegri (just amazing)

Bernd Leno (the best on this years game for me)

and the ever green LEO MESSI (just gets better with age)

other notable players were:

Afonso Sousa (easily one of the best playmakers on the game)

Luis Suarez just let him go on a free!!

Woodburn

De Ligt

Rugani

Trent

Di Marco... (always forget his name Italian lb playing in Russia was at Inter. Class left back)

On 2/25/2018 at 07:04, glenn28 said:

Gonna start a new game will update the transfers from Jan 1st as i have the real time editor 

might do the same when the update comes out as i had added the Phil and VVD transfers in myself but it seemed to give me too much money and i went transfer crazy in the Jan window.

Transfer suggestions 3rd season

Just finished my second season:

• League cup final - Lost v Manchester united
  • Champions League semi final - lost v Manchester United (6-6 aggregate score, lost on away goals)
  • FA cup final - won v Huddersfield (knocked Man U out in the semi)
  • Premier League - 83 points 3rd place (1 point behind Man U, 2 behind Chelsea)
  • Firmino scored 54 goals, he now has 94 goals in 95 appearances in my two seasons at the club
  • Mane (26), Salah (23)  and woodbun (21) all scored over 20 goals overall in the season. 
  • Salah registered 31 assists in all competitions with 23 goals.
  • Lemar contributed 4 goals and 12 assists in the league, playing central midfield (APs).

I plan to overhaul several players: Milner, Klavan, Solanke (loan), Lallana and Demiraby as first team causalities.

I have made one addition to the team, spending 57m on Asensio to play AP(s) next to Lemar. I also want to move TAA to central midfield, my team so far looks like this: image.thumb.png.1dca07918489a6e52d6dfbefcb6621ff.png

I need a new right back with TAA in cm, tempted to sell on Henderson if any good offers come in as well. I have several young players to integrate as well however non at right back or good enough to play upfront. My midfield three are made up of AP(s) DLP(d) AP(s), my front 3 are made up of CF(s) CF(a) CF(s).

Currently looking to sign Cutrone or Pellegri, i missed out on Belotti to city. A back up centre back could be useful, i have a young LB regen in my youth team that i might rotate in, especially if i get any good offers for Moreno. 

Van Dijk was very disappointing in my second season, Romagnoli was supposed to replace Matip (Sold to Real in Jan) however a string of Mistakes and sendings off from Van Dijk saw De Ligt come in and impress at the back, as first choice now. 

Had the craziest Champions League semi final in my second season.

Drew at Old Trafford 2-2 in the first leg. despite going 2-0 up.

When picking my team for the second leg i made my first fatal error, something ive done throughout my Liverpool career, not selecting a GK on the bench...

2-0 up after 30 mins, looks like job done when donnurammu is stretchered off, up steps Joe Gomez in net. We score moments later 3-0, united had only mustered 2 efforts by this point so i thought all would be ok...

United net through Lukaku, then robertson makes a horror tackle putting us down to 10 men with Gomez in net.. 

they claw it back to 3-3 before mane scores, what i thought would be the winner before Lukaku made it 4-4 in the dying moments. 

United through to the final thanks to away goals (6-6) 

6 hours ago, Staf9 said:

might do the same when the update comes out as i had added the Phil and VVD transfers in myself but it seemed to give me too much money and i went transfer crazy in the Jan window.

Might yet play when the update comes out will take awhile to do the transfers I work so don’t have time to play FM mainly on weekends 

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 20:17, glenn28 said:

Might yet play when the update comes out will take awhile to do the transfers I work so don’t have time to play FM mainly on weekends 

i'm the same. between work and kids its harder now to get time to sit and get really into a game

I'm playing with the FMInside update from 17/02, my transfer targets:

SC (AF-a): Mauro Icardi or Andrea Belotti.
AML (W-a): Justin Kluivert, Felipe Anderson or Bernard.

And if I can make funds avalaible I would like to strenghten the following positions:

DL (WB-s): World-class player
GK (SK-d): World-class player
DC (CD-d): Talented back-up
MC (BBM-s or DLP-d): Loanee for the first season

1 hour ago, krisdonna said:

My Goodness Liverpool looks so improved on the new update.

Why thank you ;)

Most of the playing staff (first team down to U18s) have had their attributes tweaked (a lot up, but some down) on how they've performed over the last c3 months. Biggest CA movers are Salah, Firmino, J Gomez, TAA, Solanke, Brewster, Millar, Johnston, Lewis and Clayton(*).

*However for some reason Clayton isn't appearing in the database in the Winter update?!?! Jordan Williams should still be on loan at Rochdale and Toni Gomes should be back from his Forest Green loan too.

58 minutes ago, Daws88 said:

What are the stand out improvements you can see? Might have too start with my beloved. 

Certainly Salah and Firmino. Plus the addition of VVD (I've not rated him, that would have been the Southampton researcher) so can't wait to see what difference he makes to us. I think the whole first team squad is collectively better which should make a difference over the course of a season.

3 hours ago, diddydaddydoddy said:

Certainly Salah and Firmino. Plus the addition of VVD (I've not rated him, that would have been the Southampton researcher) so can't wait to see what difference he makes to us. I think the whole first team squad is collectively better which should make a difference over the course of a season.

Southampton researcher must be bitter. VVD's loyalty and professionalism have been set very low

VVD's concentration and decision making is still too low for me - both at 11s. For being one of the best CBs in the EPL and with such a huge transfer fee (not to mention, wanted by a few other teams too), he sure deserves higher numbers in those attributes.

15 minutes ago, yonko said:

VVD's concentration and decision making is still too low for me - both at 11s. For being one of the best CBs in the EPL and with such a huge transfer fee (not to mention, wanted by a few other teams too), he sure deserves higher numbers in those attributes.

The Southampton researcher will know him better than me and have watched him far more too, however I will use the next few months playing for us to determine which attributes will need changing. Certainly impressed with his organisational skills and his cross field passing. 

4 hours ago, diddydaddydoddy said:

Why thank you ;)

Most of the playing staff (first team down to U18s) have had their attributes tweaked (a lot up, but some down) on how they've performed over the last c3 months. Biggest CA movers are Salah, Firmino, J Gomez, TAA, Solanke, Brewster, Millar, Johnston, Lewis and Clayton(*).

*However for some reason Clayton isn't appearing in the database in the Winter update?!?! Jordan Williams should still be on loan at Rochdale and Toni Gomes should be back from his Forest Green loan too.

How much have Salah and Firmino been improved? I've never been that knowledgable of CA but am interested to know how much they have gone up, considering the form they have been in

@Aim I increased Salah's CA by 10 and attribute-wise it was more generic improvement across the board, although balance and decisions in particular. Firmino's CA went up by 7 - pace, finishing and anticipation were key. There are parameters that I have to be aware of otherwise I'd have all there attributes at 20 ;)

3 minutes ago, diddydaddydoddy said:

@Aim I increased Salah's CA by 10 and attribute-wise it was more generic improvement across the board, although balance and decisions in particular. Firmino's CA went up by 7 - pace, finishing and anticipation were key. There are parameters that I have to be aware of otherwise I'd have all there attributes at 20 ;)

That's certainly what they deserve haha :)

1 hour ago, diddydaddydoddy said:

The Southampton researcher will know him better than me and have watched him far more too, however I will use the next few months playing for us to determine which attributes will need changing. Certainly impressed with his organisational skills and his cross field passing. 

I understand that. You have done a great job adjusting CA/PA and attributes for Liverpool players. I was just making a general observation about VVD. Some of his mental attributes have been underrated for awhile now, considering he has been wanted by all the top teams in England. I personally do not rate him that highly, I think he's somewhere around the level of Lovren and Matip, slightly more stable and commanding maybe. 

Btw, did you edit Coutinho as well? Or was that Barca's researcher? 

17 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

What tactics do you all use for Liverpool? I'm not quite sure which tactic to settle on..

A 4231 is what I will settle for. Maybe a 433 once Keita arrives. Hope too get the best out of Salah in a 4231, struggled in my first fm18 save. 

@yonko I've been quietly impressed with VVD so far, particulalrly coz I can see him managing / organising the defence - a bit like Carra, something we've missed. True test will be when he gets a full pre-season behind him.

Yep I did Coutinho.

Just started a new game happy with the boosts also noticed Lallana & Clyne inury time has been increased won't sign anyone will start with 4-3-3 then go 4-2-3-1 when Lallana returns 

10 hours ago, glenn28 said:

Just started a new game happy with the boosts also noticed Lallana & Clyne inury time has been increased won't sign anyone will start with 4-3-3 then go 4-2-3-1 when Lallana returns 

doing the same. hoping my tactics from my previous save transfer to the new patch as I was flying in all comps. 

I've signed Atakan Akkaynak from Leverkusen on loan for the season to give me some cover in the DM role for the smaller games. huge potential youth player

20 hours ago, cyborgscouse said:

Huh so the update came out, playing with no couthino will be interesting

Firmino and Salah has become incredible good. You could easily retrain Firmino to be the new Coutinho. He is so complete. I am playing with Liverpool in the new update, using a high pressing 4-1-4-1 and I do not miss Coutinho for one second. I just splashed out a huge sum for Alli. :)

Archived