FM17: Arsenal

llama3

5 hours ago, BrickCommo23 said:

Hi

Thanks very much for sending this through, much appreciated and looks like you've had a stonking few seasons.

I'm also using a tweaking version of Mr Ozils tactic but a flat midfield 3 and AML, AMR AND CF. I saw the flat 4411 but didn't think it would suit the likes of Sanchez. Looks like i was wrong!

I'm in Christmas of first season and just about top so reluctant to change tactics just now but one to consider and possibly implement for season 2 (with a full pre season of training of course).

Cheers!!

Good luck with it. One thing to note is the CF is set to "move into channels". I think this is important as he's the lone front man.

I'm absolutely crushed. I was all set to win the quadruple, but lost to Man City in the CL final 1-0. Absolutely killed my enjoyment of the save and will need a good few days to put it behind me. Morata and Gaya both were injured before the FA Cup final (which we beat Villa 5-0). It was our year. I think I made the mistake in the press conference of saying the last option before the final "OUr time is now" option. It might've been a bit too much? But I reall felt like it was our time. Oh well.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New to this forum; but having a read through thria thread got a couple of questions.

I'm just finishing my 2nd season with Arsenal (just CL final left to play), and I've seen on here a few mentions of Morata; is he any good? Should've really asked sooner as I've already agreed to buy him, but just wondering what people's experiences with him are like?

Also, how good does Reiss Neilson get? I've loaned him out this year to Wolves and he's had a bit of a stinker of a season, not overly confident putting him with my firsts just yet.

Lastly, has anyone had any problems with affiliate teams? The board just won't seem to accept any request unless it's a domestic team for loans. So far I have Fulham, Sheff Utd and Doncaster, but I'm wanting more of a global presence. I just can't get the board to agree to it!

Thanks in advance 

13 hours ago, yorkie87 said:

In beginning of third season. Have an offer of 99million for Christian pulisic. Also have guedes, griezman, sanchez, the ox. Do I accept? He's only 19 but a lot of money. 

Question is, what would you do with the money? If you can buy someone better than yes, if not and he's important to you, the no. In my opinion anyway. 

54 minutes ago, Matti1981 said:

Sanchez is declining in the second season :'( :'(

Playing when he's not injured. Looks like I'll have to sell

He's declined a little with me by Christmas season 2. He's also picked up three long term injuries in since the start of the first season so hasn't really had a proper run of games. He's coming back now and tends to hit a hat-trick and then has a couple of quiet games. I'm currently using two up top and using Giroud as a Target man and rotating Sanchez with Moussa Dembele in the 'little man' poacher / AF role.

Edit: Current update on my game. Renato Sanchez was transfer listed by Bayern so I've managed to snap him up to £25M in the Jan window. Looks like Elneny will be leaving. I'm also considering selling both Ox and Walcott as neither are getting games. I've retrained Iwobi as an AM centre and he's lighting up the league. Him and Ozil will rotate there and Cazorla will be released in the summer along with BFG

11 hours ago, Dejay said:

He's declined a little with me by Christmas season 2. He's also picked up three long term injuries in since the start of the first season so hasn't really had a proper run of games. He's coming back now and tends to hit a hat-trick and then has a couple of quiet games. I'm currently using two up top and using Giroud as a Target man and rotating Sanchez with Moussa Dembele in the 'little man' poacher / AF role.

Edit: Current update on my game. Renato Sanchez was transfer listed by Bayern so I've managed to snap him up to £25M in the Jan window. Looks like Elneny will be leaving. I'm also considering selling both Ox and Walcott as neither are getting games. I've retrained Iwobi as an AM centre and he's lighting up the league. Him and Ozil will rotate there and Cazorla will be released in the summer along with BFG

Im going to have an overhaul at the end of the season. Changed tactics and had Icardi scoring for fun (inc an 8-0 win over Chelski) then it all fell apart with no changes! Andre Silva though is bringing me back online.

Currenlty doing the same with Iwobi. Training players to the position/tactics being used

R Shances is a good buy! 

I'm in the second season after having a great first one, winning the Premier League, EFL and Champions League.

In the second season, things are going well but having a bit of a think with defensive recruitment after Debuchy broke his leg and is now out til April.

The back four looks like:

DR: Bellerin, Debuchy, Chambers (+2 regens in youth team - 4.5* and 3*)

DCr: Mustafi, Chambers

DCl: Koscielny, Gabriel, (+Holding who's out on loan)

DL: Monreal, Gibbs

Problems:

1. Debuchy injury leaves us short in numbers at the back for cover, espec RB.
  2. Chambers/Mustafi aren't really suited to the attacking RB role.
  3. Promising U18 players aren't really ready for much more than the odd EFL cup game.
  4. Monreal is getting older, and need to start thinking about a future LB signing.
  5. Struggling to identify any LBs who can actually defend.

Coming up to the January window, and trying to work out who to sign as defensive cover for Debuchy who's Arsenal career I think is over. Also Monreal is not getting any younger but his performances are still great.

Potential Solutions:

1. Buy a RB, like Nelson Semedo for ~ £14m, £50k p/w and play Chambers at CB. Sell Semedo when promising youngsters ready for back-up role.
  2. Buy a CB. Several options from established internationals to some promising youngsters.
  3. Buy a LB, but struggling to identify one that can defend adequately.
  4. Buy Jairo Riedewald (£25m, £50k p/w) as a CB initially and then move him to LB when Monreal gets too old; but R. Madrid also want him. Chambers then becomes my back-up RB.

What do you think I should do and do you have any recommendations for LB to replace Monreal in the future (defensive ability is more important than attacking for me in this position)?

Also how has Holding developed for you guys. He performed ok in his first season but Chambers looks better in my eyes. Hasn't really improved much under me or whilst on loan.

Check out Almamy Toure from Monaco. Quality RB and can also play CB. I'd say he may be better than Chambers depending on his random PA. Another option for RB may be Diego from Botafogo I think.

For LB look at the obvious choices - Gaya, Grimaldo.

You can also go for a player that can play on both sides like Sidibe (Monaco) or De Sciglio.

Hi all,

A bit of a late arrival to FM17 so I have just finished my first season at Arsenal. Suffice to say it was a very mixed bag. A quick summary and then a couple of questions if anyone fancies helping out.

Transfers

Unlike previous FMs very little deadwood in the Arsenal side so I decided not to do very much, no major outgoings but on deadline day I did sign Felipe Anderson from Lazio for circa £28million as I wanted some quality cover on the flanks.

In January, my budget was increased by £92million (see previous post) and I took the plunge to buy Dybala for £75mil. I also helped to slightly balance the books by selling Elneny to Man City for £29mil.

Competitions

Great in the cups. Alarmingly inconsistent in the league.

We won the league cup in February to claim the first silverware of the season of my reign, sealed with a 4-0 hammering of Tottenham at Wembley.

We also had a fantastic FA Cup run, dispatching Chelsea, Tottenham and Man United before comfortably beating Nottingham Forest in the final. A cup double.

The league was another thing entirely.

We were top and 7 points clear around Christmas but my away performances had never quite matched the dominance of my home matches and we had a terrible new year with some awful performances. Not winning for 5 games around Easter really sealed my fate - while United (eventual champions) finished the season 22 unbeaten.

Have a look at the below.

The good

20170107205621_1.jpg

20170114112705_1.jpg

20170116224854_1.jpg

20170106211849_1.jpg

The bad (I am missing a ss here of the 3-0 at Burnley and the 4-0 away to Southampton)

20170116175103_1.jpg

20170116175119_1.jpg

This one was a bit ridiculous but a final kick in the teeth - we only made 1 CCC despite the domination:

20170116175032_1.jpg

I am honestly at a loss to explain such massive swings in performance. As far as I can tell, we didn't struggle against any particular system, it was just the away performances were dreadful and as such we got punished.

I tended to play quite a high line with high pressing but even turning those down slightly for away games didn't matter. Really frustrating. Particularly the Sunderland and Burnley games.

In the end I came 3rd, 12 points behind champions United and 3 points behind Stoke. Stoke!!

3 points ahead of Tottenham mind...

I seem to have kept the job though and I'm going to seriously cull the squad over the summer. The likes of Lucas, Walcott, Mertesacker, Monreal are all out and we will go again next season.

Questions

1- Anyone else found massive swings in performance, particularly home vice away and any tips on overcoming those?

2- Cech had a very low average rating by end of the season (which is not entirely his fault of course) but he was regularly pointed out by the opposition as a ‘weak link’. Anyone else found the same? Considering moving him on too.

3- The tactic which worked so well for me at the beginning of the season was a 4321 with a flat midfield three. I put Ozil on the left hand side of that, with a free role, but wasn't great. Which is understandable. However, when I moved him to the AMC role it really unbalanced the team. PSG are interested and I am minded to sell for the right money. Am I being stupid or is there life after Mesut?

Thanks for reading, welcome any views of suggestions.

I found playing three AM's narrow works best with Sanchez upfront as a DLF-At (usually have Giroud as TM) plus i have signed Griezmann in January first season to fit in with the formation, was doing terrible up until this change (usually play AML - AMC - AMR) and was lucky to still have my job to be honest. Was 17pts behind leaders Tottenham but i then went on a 15 (or something similar) game winning run which sadly wasn't enough to win me the league but did secure runners up. Sanchez won the golden boot too, team looked liked this. (I also signed Carrasco but just didn't perform in the formation for the half a season i had him so sold him in the summer for a big loss sadly.

Sanchez-DLF-At

Griezmann-SS  Ozil-AP-Su  Iwobi/Carrasco-AM-At

Xhaka-DLP-Df     Ramsey-MC-Au

Gibbs-FB-Au   Koscielny-CB     Mustafi-CB     Bellerin-FB-Au

Cech

Have started the second season but Sanchez was out for 5 weeks, Asano came in scoring 6 in 4 matches, 4 of them goals coming in a 6-1 thrashing of Southampton. Has been a lot of transfer activity but mainly players leaving so i can give some of the younger players a chance and to balance the books after some big spending in January which i don't normally do.

On 8 januari 2017 at 19:13, MasterFolke said:

My first season ended pretty good! 

Transfers in (jan): Joe Gomez

Transfers out: Mertesacker, Debuchy, Gabriel

PL: 3:rd

EFL: winners ( 2-1 against Stoke)

FACup: winners ( 4-0 against Swansea)

CL: winners ( 5-3 against Bayern)

Second season is on the way and i have released Cazorla and replaced him with Wilshere. PSG came with crazy money for Lucas so off he went. In comes Penaranda, pretty expansive but he looks good. I've also sold Ospina and bought a cheap Valdes. Ryan Sessegnon looks promising as well and he will replace Monreal in the future.

Liverpool came in with a bid of 60m pounds on Iwobi, but i refused:)

Second season was amazing and i won everything. I bought Rashford...:) 

in season 3 i bought Dele Alli and John Stones. I have a pretty nice team now. 4312 rocks.

Hi all, 

i am having a bit of a squad refresh at end of first season.

One of those to go is Monreal so I am looking for a second wing back. Anyone had any experience with Gaya? Going to cost about £30mil all told but looks like he could be very good, if a little lightweight? 

1 hour ago, BrickCommo23 said:

Hi all, 

i am having a bit of a squad refresh at end of first season.

One of those to go is Monreal so I am looking for a second wing back. Anyone had any experience with Gaya? Going to cost about £30mil all told but looks like he could be very good, if a little lightweight? 

Personally i'd sign either Ryan Sessegnon from Fulham or Kieran Tierney from Celtic and play them as often as possible in cup games and home league games against much lesser opposition, also keep them in the first team but have them available for 60mins or so for the u23's. This will improve them as quickly as possible but still keep keep Gibbs as first choice.  Will save you a lot of money and also gives you a FB/WB for many years to come as once Gibbs starts to decline just make him the second choice.

7 minutes ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

Never been able to sign Alli (or Kane) as simply either don't wanna join or Tottenham won't accept any other i make.

Reputation grew after winning numerous trophies. Cost me £234m.. :lol: (only £34m up front)

12 minutes ago, toby14 said:

Reputation grew after winning numerous trophies. Cost me £234m.. :lol: (only £34m up front)

Bloody hell, that might explain why they never accept my (much much much lower) offers!

10 minutes ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

Bloody hell, that might explain why they never accept my (much much much lower) offers!

You're able to sell well at Arsenal. Got £55m for Mustafi, £20m for gibbs, £35m for Xhaka and Ramsey, £20m for Ox, Jack, Elneny & Giroud.

Also got £60m for Ozil who doesn't perform well enough no matter what role he is in or formation used. 

Had more money than i knew what to do with. Alli was 22, English and had unbelievable attributes and overview. Has got double figures in goals and assist both years i have had him. Really high average ratings. No regrets.. :)

4 hours ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

Personally i'd sign either Ryan Sessegnon from Fulham or Kieran Tierney from Celtic and play them as often as possible in cup games and home league games against much lesser opposition, also keep them in the first team but have them available for 60mins or so for the u23's. This will improve them as quickly as possible but still keep keep Gibbs as first choice.  Will save you a lot of money and also gives you a FB/WB for many years to come as once Gibbs starts to decline just make him the second choice.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback - good advice. Unfortunately, as it was my first save I limited number of playable leagues to 3 or 4 and Tierney doesn't seem to be available/exist. I might have missed him though. 

Must admit, I was finding it difficult to part with £30mil for a fullback anyway so will check out Sessegnon, although my scouts reckon his bravery is poor.

Thanks again

55 minutes ago, BrickCommo23 said:

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback - good advice. Unfortunately, as it was my first save I limited number of playable leagues to 3 or 4 and Tierney doesn't seem to be available/exist. I might have missed him though. 

Must admit, I was finding it difficult to part with £30mil for a fullback anyway so will check out Sessegnon, although my scouts reckon his bravery is poor.

Thanks again

Signed Alaba, (highest left back PA on game) for £58m. Worth every penny, especially when playing with overlapping wing backs.. 

Bit odd but Sessegnon wouldn't come,  agent just said his client wasn't interested in a move at this moment in time.

Went in for Alaba but Bayern insisted on about £70mil up front and weren't budging. 

So, I've ended up with Gaya for £22m rising to 32 with add ons. Scored on debut at least - albeit against a Chinese team in pre season friendly...

I've just passed the midway point of season two and we're now on a 46 game unbeaten run in the Premiership, the 50th and possible record breaking match is away to Stoke. Though still have tough games against Newcastle (a) and Man Utd (h) beforehand.

19 minutes ago, BrickCommo23 said:

Hi.

Just out of interest - what's your team instructions for this? And any particular personal instructions?

Can find the tactic below, sadly the run is over after 69 matches when Leicester beat me 3-0! Trying to bring more youngsters through now so this season is proving much harder.

https://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/view/30934/vps-arsenal-unbeatables

6 hours ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

Can find the tactic below, sadly the run is over after 69 matches when Leicester beat me 3-0! Trying to bring more youngsters through now so this season is proving much harder.

https://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/view/30934/vps-arsenal-unbeatables

Look forward to trying this...... I've got the players for it.... with Brexit about to bite i need to shore up

10 hours ago, Matti1981 said:

Look forward to trying this...... I've got the players for it.... with Brexit about to bite i need to shore up

Hope it works for you, i've posted the players i was using a few posts up from this one so should give you an idea of what seems to work best with it.

I got to 69 games before Leicester hammered me 3-0 away, Jamie Vardy was unstoppable as usual scoring all three of their attempts on target, where as we dominated the game but just couldn't score no matter what.

Tight end to the first season. Magnific display in europe beating Juve (0-1L and 3-1W), Ajax, Barça (2-1W and 4-1W) and Bayern (2-0W) in the final.

fntvIaa.jpg

I've used many players, including youngsters like Bielik, Nelsson, Jeff, Zelalem, Maitland-Niles, Malen... Some of them went on loan in Jan. Signed Rashford in Jan. Lucas saved my ass at front cause of all the injuries.

phegLpT.jpg

Many injuries...

• Welbz 8 months
  • Giroud  4mo 3wks in total
  • Walcott 3 months in total
  • Cazorla 2 months2 wks in total
  • + many others.

t1I8QM3.jpg

Also signed Fruchtl and Asensio (coming next summer) in January. Reece Oxford and Charlie Taylor from Leeds are joining soon. Debating wether to sign Fabregas or not. Isco, Wijnaldium, Payet, Rojo, Luiz Gustavo, Depay and Rooney are all transfer listed... 

I'll be posting second season updates.

15 hours ago, RogerC said:

Tight end to the first season. Magnific display in europe beating Juve (0-1L and 3-1W), Ajax, Barça (2-1W and 4-1W) and Bayern (2-0W) in the final.

fntvIaa.jpg

I've used many players, including youngsters like Bielik, Nelsson, Jeff, Zelalem, Maitland-Niles, Malen... Some of them went on loan in Jan. Signed Rashford in Jan. Lucas saved my ass at front cause of all the injuries.

phegLpT.jpg

Many injuries...

• Welbz 8 months
  • Giroud  4mo 3wks in total
  • Walcott 3 months in total
  • Cazorla 2 months2 wks in total
  • + many others.

t1I8QM3.jpg

Also signed Fruchtl and Asensio (coming next summer) in January. Reece Oxford and Charlie Taylor from Leeds are joining soon. Debating wether to sign Fabregas or not. Isco, Wijnaldium, Payet, Rojo, Luiz Gustavo, Depay and Rooney are all transfer listed... 

I'll be posting second season updates.

Nice work there!! 

First season was going like a charm until the Liverpool game. When we won like that at Anfield I thought nothing could stop us getting silverware that season. Then this happened:

Fixt_zpsuxfpqfkj.jpg

Never was I so helpless in FM, What ever I did to correct bad run was only adding fuel to bursting fire. Only nottable thing was kicking out Benfica in 1st KO of CL, was later trashed out by PSG.

Here is the table.

TAble_zpsv0yajjix.jpg

Spuds were just out of this world, they weren't pulling it out all season long.

Trans_zpsftfzlosl.jpg

And the transfers I made. Dybala was brought in by the board, and also got additional TB of 75 mil at the start on December which i decided to waste.

15 hours ago, Sduvner1 said:

Hey guys, I'm about to start an Arsenal save. I've already decided that I want to sign a ST, CB, LB and RW. I already have my targets for the first three but does anyone have a suggestion for right back?

LB and ST I understand, but CB and RB? Why sign anyone?

19 hours ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

That's how good he is.

L3a1Rbh.png

Can you post his attributes?

Just coming towards the end of my second season and I think I may have left myself too much to do on account of my awful start to the season.

20170129191415_1.jpg

Man United and Liverpool still have to play each other, they also have other tricky games remaining, whereas with the exception of City at home, I have quite a gentle run in. It's probably too much to cliumb but you never know... 

If we do fall short, I think this is the match which was the final nail in our coffin - we scored first by the way:

20170129191459_1.jpg

Which is such a shame, as other times we absolutely dispatch people, like this:

20170129191441_1.jpg

Fingers crossed.

A massive thank you to @SortitoutsiVP for his help too!

Archived