FM17: Arsenal

llama3

So I'm in the middle of 7th season. Brexit kicked in, but no change in WP rules. 

I've managed to sign Ronaldo from Madrid for free on January 6th season (his contract was expiring). GBP 400k p/w!! I promised him to give him his desired shirt number which I wasn't aware of at that moment. He wants shirt no.7, but I gave him 77 instead, lol, because 7 belongs to Alexis. Caused a riot, but got away with it just fine. 

Now January 7th season, I notice Neuer was out of contract for a while, which surprised me as I thought he was gonna hang his gloves with FC Bayern. So I sign him, then have to loaned out my 2nd choice keeper. I also proceed to filter the transfer market by expiring contract (6 months) and superb (or something around that level) world rep, Kroos' and Bale's contract is running out, so I assign scout, but Kroos unfortunately extends his contract, but not Bale. So I sign Bale (250k p/w with huge amount of bonus). He's gonna join me next season. 

So I'm gonna have Ronaldo - Özil - Bale reunion next season, and may cause bankruptcy. 

TL;DR Ronaldo joins on free transfer in 7th season, Neuer also free mid-season, Bale's gonna join on free next season. At the brink of bankruptcy right now. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Sparky_07 said:

Would love to read more about these tactics your using, currently using your 3-5-1-1 and 4-1-4-1 formations without Arsenal without good purpose :( 

In my opinion - the starting Arsenal squad is reasonably complete - in that you can do almost anything - but not very balanced. Whilst it's possible to come up with interesting solutions such as Wenger (again) in real life, I would add at least one player to the starting XI - in my case, Marcelo was the missing link whilst Fabregas was a luxury.

Without wanting to give a spoiler - I'm pretty sure that if you read the Cruyff thread, along with the Invincibles and Wales, you'll probably guess what I'm doing. There's a logical progression (I think so, anyway :lol:).

We were on title race with United, then came QPR, then it went downhill. April 2023 was literally Man Utd month for us. We were officially guaranteed the 2nd place after losing 0-1 in Manchester. The picture of us sitting on the 2nd place in Prem was confirmed by the lost to Derby. We managed, however, to get pass them in the CL, but not Prem and the FA Cup.

Arsenal_  Senior Fixtures-4.png

51 minutes ago, gholliday87 said:

I managed to sell Welbeck to Juve for the same amount, in 2 seasons he's played 10 games!

I wish I got £35M, I sold him to Man City for £20.5M where he played 13 games in 2 seasons then they shipped him off to Stoke for £10.25M. 

Stoke now have Iwobi, Welbeck & Akpom because of me. 

(and André Silva!)

41 minutes ago, WillyBroadband said:

I wish I got £35M, I sold him to Man City for £20.5M where he played 13 games in 2 seasons then they shipped him off to Stoke for £10.25M. 

Stoke now have Iwobi, Welbeck & Akpom because of me. 

(and André Silva!)

How have Stoke got so much money?!

Decided to give Arsenal a go after getting bored of my Newcastle save after two season.

Made a few transfers early on, selling Debuchy, Giroud, Gibbs and bringing in Coutinho, Charlie Taylor, Jamaal Lascelles and Sebastian Corchia.

Opted for a 4-3-3 with Sanchez up top and well...

UIMVwQS.png

4xgIffk.png

Sunderland & the first West Ham games were weakened teams V their full strength.

Not entirely certain Coutinho is justifying the 45mil I paid for him just yet, but it is early days. A good start though, long may it continue.

6 hours ago, gholliday87 said:

How have Stoke got so much money?!

They were taken over by an Iranian tycoon and seem to have a whole load of £. Still a mid table team though. 

I've had £72.5M off them for 3 transfers (£26M Iwobi, £40M Silva & £6.5M Akpom) 

22 minutes ago, WillyBroadband said:

They were taken over by an Iranian tycoon and seem to have a whole load of £. Still a mid table team though. 

I've had £72.5M off them for 3 transfers (£26M Iwobi, £40M Silva & £6.5M Akpom) 

Not bad, not bad at all...I'm still unsure as to what to do about Iwobi. He was/is essentially 3rd choice back-up on wings/AMC, but has been playing due to injuries to Ozil and Jota

53 minutes ago, gholliday87 said:

Not bad, not bad at all...I'm still unsure as to what to do about Iwobi. He was/is essentially 3rd choice back-up on wings/AMC, but has been playing due to injuries to Ozil and Jota

In hindsight I wish I had kept him, Leroy Sané has been a massive disappointment and my first choice IF's are now Lemar, The Ox & Nelson. 

4 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

I'm in a little bit of a quandary as I'm in my 5th season, have won the title the last 3 years running and I think I might be getting a bit bored. 

Got into a habit of selling big players and replacing them with inferior ones too. 

4 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

In hindsight I wish I had kept him, Leroy Sané has been a massive disappointment and my first choice IF's are now Lemar, The Ox & Nelson. 

Start bringing in your youth? Solves both problems!

7 hours ago, gholliday87 said:

Start bringing in your youth? Solves both problems!

Good idea man. I still have Virgínia, Bennacer, The Jeff, Dragomir, Chris Willock, Malen & Fortune plus a couple I've added. 

Just noticed that Marco Asensio is on the cheap from Real, though. 

I'm going to start again after losing patience and motivation with my first save.

Inspired a bit by Sanchez in real life, and from looking at how you guys are getting good results from him as a striker, I think I'll aim for something with Sanchez up top. I'm struggling to decide on a formation, but I'm sure that will come to me eventually. I love 3 at the back formations but I'm not massively confident with creating one as I've not managed to create a successful 3 at the back formation in any edition of FM. Unless I change my mind and go for a 3 at the back, I'll probably be aiming for a 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-2-3-1.

How are you guys using Sanchez up top? Is everyone leaning towards a F9/DLF role for him?

I don't know if any of you guys do this but I'm a (sentimental) sucker for having old players on the coaching staff, being a Gooner IRL too, makes me even worse. Check these out..

Tony Adams' stats aren't even that good I just love him. Also, The BFG is working as an assistant to his idol. 

I also have Liam Brady & Steve Bould (I have a different assistant manager so I re-hired him). I wanted to keep Cech on as a goalkeeping coach but his wage demands were mental. I definitely want to keep Koscielny on as a coach too.

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 12.41.54.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 12.41.12.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 12.43.11.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 12.41.35.png

6 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

I don't know if any of you guys do this but I'm a (sentimental) sucker for having old players on the coaching staff, being a Gooner IRL too, makes me even worse. Check these out..

Tony Adams' stats aren't even that good I just love him. Also, The BFG is working as an assistant to his idol. 

I also have Liam Brady & Steve Bould (I have a different assistant manager so I re-hired him). I wanted to keep Cech on as a goalkeeping coach but his wage demands were mental. I definitely want to keep Koscielny on as a coach too.

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 12.41.54.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 12.41.12.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 12.43.11.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 12.41.35.png

I bet you already resign Gary Lewin?

On 12/16/2016 at 11:04, WillyBroadband said:

About to start my 6th season at Arsenal and I think I'm going to have a break from it for a bit or maybe start again. I've lost a bit of love for it, I reckon.

May start up one at a Bundesliga club.

I know a bit of what you mean. I'm kinda hoping for hard Brexit when I find out about that, because it'll shake things up a bit. I'm at least having fun bringing the youth through, though.

Alexis Sanchez has just scored 6 goals as we destroyed Real Madrid 6-1 at The Emirates, beating them 8-2 across the two legs to secure our place in the final. 

That's taken him to 19 goals for the Champions League campaign, 7 ahead of second place, and also to 60 goals for the season in 47(2) appearances.

This also means he's overtaken Ronaldo's most goals in a campaign ( which was 17) and Messi for most goals in a match (record was 5).

8 hours ago, james_wilko said:

Alexis Sanchez has just scored 6 goals as we destroyed Real Madrid 6-1 at The Emirates, beating them 8-2 across the two legs to secure our place in the final. 

That's taken him to 19 goals for the Champions League campaign, 7 ahead of second place, and also to 60 goals for the season in 47(2) appearances.

This also means he's overtaken Ronaldo's most goals in a campaign ( which was 17) and Messi for most goals in a match (record was 5).

Woah, impressive. What kind of tactic are you using?

10 hours ago, james_wilko said:

What role are you using him?

Finished my 4th season. It went all right again.

Competitions:

b0daea710d.png

Won the title with 2 matches to spare, then played some youngsters to 2 draws to finish off the season, so the League looked closer than it was.

I still can't solve Europe, which is pretty frustrating. This is probably due to my very young team

Transfers:

aa69d6f27c.jpg

In addition to these, I had to let Salomon Rondon leave because he couldn't get a Work Permit, which I was pretty upset about. As you can see, I let two first team central defenders go, but I had a couple youngsters I felt were ready for a step up, so I was ok with it.

Stats:

http://puu.sh/sU1HR/f39b911f75.png

Icardi was on fire again, and I got some great play from Reiss Nelson. Sanchez had a huge falloff after last season, but I was expecting it.

Santi is retiring at the end of June, which is probably good. He wasn't getting many games. I expect to bring up Dragomir for next season, he should be ready. 

If you're interested in seeing how anyone on my squad has developed, let me know! I'd be happy to provide a screenshot.

Over the summer, I'm looking to get a third GK in, but that's about it. I may also get rid of Vitolo, since he hasn't performed super well since I bought him. I think I have a youngster I can start to bleed in behind my wonderkids.

Update: Got my Brexit result.

Gibraltar left the UK, and EU players now need work permits. Plus, no more Bosman rule, which I wasn't expecting. Should make things slightly more interesting, at least.

Archived