Sports Interactive Community
Jimbokav1971

[FM17] Football, fire and ice: The inside story of Iceland's remarkable rise.

Posted (edited)

49 players called up for International Duty. Aug 2045.

I can't remember what the current record for players called up for International duty is, but I think 49 is a new record. 

Iceland U19's. 6 players.
Iceland U20's. 5 players.
Iceland U21's. 11 players. 
Iceland. 17 players. 

Belgium U21's. 1 player. 

Brazil U20's. 1 player.

China. 1 player. 

San Marino. 2 players. 

Portugal. 1 player.

Sweden U21's. 2 players.
Sweden. 2 players.  

There are quite a few players who have played at Senior International level in the past and are no longer being called up. 

(26d) Adam Sigurðar (Res) * is a 35yo MC with 122 (ISL) Caps and 7 (ISL) goals. 
(30b) Egill Gunn (Pro) * is a 31yo DC with 88 (ISL) Caps and 6 (ISL) goals.
(26b) Páll Stefán (F.Pro) * is a 35yo AMR with 75 (ISL) Caps and 8 (ISL) goals. 
(28a) Magnús (Pro) (2028) * is a 33yo MC with 56 (ISL) Caps.
(32b) Veigar Páll (Res) is a 29yo MC with 53 (ISL) Caps and 1 (ISL) goal. 
(24b) Ben Óli (Amb) 60 * is a 37o GK with 18 (ISL) Caps. (Yes, the 60 indicates that he scored 60 career goals for is in his 1st stint at the club).
(33a) Björn Berg M.Pro (2033)* is a 28yo DR with 9 (ISL) Caps.
(36i) Jón Reyr (M.Pro) is a 25yo MC on loan at Rapid Vienna with 8 Caps.
(39c) Arnór Halldór (M.Pro) is a 22yo DL with 5 (ISL) Caps.
(35f) Eiríkur (F.Pro) is a 26yo DR with 4 (ISL) Caps.
(40h) Emil Schram (Res) is a 21yo MC with 2 (ISL) Caps.
(38e) Orri Sveinn (Pro) is a 24yo AML with 2 (ISL) Caps.
(38b) Gunnar Gís (M.Pro) is a 23yo on loan at Hertha Berlin with 2 (ISL) Caps.. 
(37a) Reynir (M.Pro) (2037) * is a 24yo SC on loan at Austria Vienna with 1 (ISL) Cap. 
(30c) Kristóf Skúl (M.Pro) is a 31yo DC with 1 (ISL) Cap.

The above players have all received at least 1 Senior (ISL) Cap and are not currently in an (ISL) squad of any sort, (some of them are still eligible for (ISL) aged group selection. Most of these players are still in contention for selection and especially looking at the top 7 players on the list, the reason for them not being called up us less to do with their ability and more to do with my rotation policy. 

Edited by Jimbokav1971

Posted (edited)

The more things change, the more they remain the same. Aug 2045.

That's his 7th of the season and there are 2 other GK's who have scored goals this season bringing the tally of GK goals this season to 9.

Edited by Jimbokav1971

I've just re-signed this bloke on a free. Jan 2046.

66fa1c20abbe49749e2d999c6e36aadb.png

Although he doesn't have a staff profile yet, there was an option to send him on a coaching course, which the board turned down because they said he wasn't interested, so I immediately suggested via private conversation with him that I thought he might make a good coach once he retires. We will see how that develops. 

He's had a more than decent career already. 

He started with us and scored 22 league goals in 24(4) league appearances but actually a total of 41 total goals in 51(11) appearances.

b45dacf80d272bdd4d2f79f9bd0f60c0.png

He then moved to Spurs for £6.5M in 2031.

He was never the main man at Spurs but you also have to remember that this league wasn't active.

He scored 1 league goal in 7 league games while on loan at Ajax, and this included just 1 goal in a total of 13 appearances.

He scored 54 league goals in 51(81) league appearances and a total of 70 goals in 67(130) appearances, (so a lot of time sitting on the bench).

8ba8915243fb7414298d7430f791dd1a.png

I tried to get him back when he left Spurs, but he just wanted too much cash so instead he went to Al-Shabab in UAE for £1.5M, (where wages are obviously not a problem).

He scored 52 league goals in 60(8) league appearances at Al-Shabab, and scored a total of 67 goals in 80(8) appearances. 

0e26149beae8e29bce060688698fddcc.png

At International level he has scored 46 goals for the Senior Icelandic side in 88(28) appearances, (which I have checked and double-checked and even triple-checked as accurate), but this makes 116 appearances and he only has 108 Caps so there is something wrong somewhere here. 

He also scored 16 U21 goals in 14 U21 appearances.

The All Time (ISL) top scorer is actually someone else, (Kjartan Kristinsson), who scored 58 International goals for Iceland. 

(36a) Úlfar (M.Pro) (2036) * currently has 38 goals from 67 International appearances at the age of 26, but the (ISL) National Team is being poorly managed at the moment, although he should break the record even without me taking over. 

A BIG(ish) Trophy? May 2046.

f3d90d9a9b708f152bc989506656b265.png

I'm personally a big fan of this trophy, especially in a save like this where you have to produce your own youngsters and can't buy them in from elsewhere to cover inadequacies in the squad. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't even get a mention. :(

Maybe there is an U19 honours board that I haven't found. 

2b04785ccf02db596960c1863b06bdad.png

A hat-trick of penalties, (awarded). July 2046.

(39b) Vaz (POR) (Pro) * 19 scored his 18th &19th career goals, but his 25th minute missed penalty, (saved penalty to be more precise), meant that he missed out on a hat-trick of penalties, (also known as a Josh Wright). 

2a2363000a9ee82511e379b56540cdac.png

Youth Day 2046.

I've hardly played in a week despite getting to Youth Day last weekend. I really just don't have time for FM when the weather is like this.

2dced9e12d5d1ed9d8e2dc78c87cffaf.png

The initial page of the intake looks interesting in that we have no less than 5 players coming through from feeder affiliation clubs. That might sound great, especially when you consider that some of our best players have been Swedish, but when you delve deeper and find that 2 of the 5 are Cypriot, and the Swede looks particularly poor..... well things don't look quite so great. That being said, I do love a different Nationality in the Youth Intake. 

0acf81e4fca9312ce132ced423d6b0a7.png

This page doesn't exactly fill me with optimism either. (Note the 3 foreigners near the bottom of the pile ranked by PA). The Dane looks good though and if the Cypriot striker is as good as this suggests then he could be a significant player for the National Team.

"Kriss" (46a) Guð Kaldal (F.Pro)(2046).

This is the bloke that sits atop the pile, (ranked by PA), and while he is going to be decent and doesn't look awful, I am struck, (after being away from the game for another week), that we are in 2046 and this is still the best we can produce???? It's a little bit meh! if you ask me, but then again, if I wanted to be producing Superstars, then maybe I shouldn't be managing in Iceland. I actually think he will be very good, but what he won't be is a Ballon d'or winner and as the save starts to come to a close, (not finished yet but FM18 is looming large on the horizon), we don't have too many intakes between us and the first of FM18. I really hoped that we would have managed to produce 1 youngster who was a bit special, but alas it would seem this was not to be. 

74598670d004c31cefbc487259d32218.png

That being said, if I was to pick my own player to watch, then it would probably be this bloke. 

(46c) Anton Ingi (Pro).

8ac5f086a460be8c0ef7cceb765fe744.png

The attribute balance looks good and I think I am more likely to be able to get more from this player than the actual "Kriss" from this season's intake. Concentration is an issue at the moment, but it's early days yet. The nuts and bolts of his make-up seem to be pretty good with that 1 exception, and that's obviously an area I will look to work on, (after stamina).

If I look at the whole club, (ranked by PA), then this is what I get. 

b9232504da205bd25d4228b2cd4b2b9a.png

The more observant among you will notice the Trn indicator beside the 2nd player on the list. (40a) Knútur (Pro) (2040) * is leaving on a free when his contract expires at the end of November 2046, (so his time with us is nearly at an end). I did get him to sign a contract extension, but I have had a few game crashes and when I re-loaded it just didn't happen which is a bit gutting. That being said, we do have another good AMR, (who has 4 more years on his contract), so it's not the complete disaster it might have been

(45a) Hafþór (M.Pro) stands out at the top as the only player at the club with 5.0 PA, (which is actually pretty realistic as we now have some pretty good players for an Icelandic club. He was the best player from last years intake, (jeez that seems a long time ago now), and he has made 7 appearances in that time, (including scoring his 1st goal and making his U21 debut). I don't know if there is enough time yet to get him to his potential, but I'm obviously going to try. A 17 yearb old Icelandic player home-produced in Iceland and valued at £675,000 is pretty decent isn't it? (I think so). 

1544869cbe22a7d89cb9e2fcdc0121f9.png

If I look at the club as a whole, (ranked by CA), then this is what I get. 

dcb82fc28d2cc897a1a92175b2bcc825.png

That's a decent amount of top-end quality, (especially for a save like this), but you might notice the fact that we have 3 foreign Nationals in the top 5 players, (ranked by CA), although (39b) Vaz (POR) (Pro) * 20 has expressed an interest in appearing for Iceland. He has been called up by the Senior National Portugese side on no less than 20 occasions, but the 23yo has still not made his debut. I would love him to play for Iceland now even though it will mean that he and (35b) Rafn Andri (Pro) 36 probably share the gloves. 

(36a) Úlfar (M.Pro) (2036) * is the best player  have ever produced. Better than a goal a game in domestic football, (where I often play a weakened side), but also 38 goals in 67 International appearances for Iceland, (managed by the AI remember), is not to be sniffed at. Would he be World-class if he was playing in a big league? I'm not sure. I think he still falls a little short. I think he's close, but I think he's not proper "top end". I recently extended his contact until October 2049, (with the obligatory option of 3 more years in there too), so I think he will still be here when I call it a day. A youth product of an Icelandic club valued at £6.25M while still playing in Iceland..... That's decent isn't it?  

7501c44c5ca6ed69803b02802951815d.png

BoxToBox   

Twenty call ups without a single minute played, at what point do you tell them to get bent?

It's all getting a tad feisty in Iceland. Sep 2046.

7 sending offs in 5 games on the same day. (2 of them products of our Youth Academy).

a108a6d6af8e69d32a44c5b82e65b06a.png

Toffle   

Hi Jim!

I haven't had time to catch up on your thread until now.. I'm glad you kept going for that long!

If you have some questions regarding your next challenge in France I would be glad to help :thup:

On 04/09/2017 at 10:41, Toffle said:

Hi Jim!

I haven't had time to catch up on your thread until now.. I'm glad you kept going for that long!

If you have some questions regarding your next challenge in France I would be glad to help :thup:

I'm still half-heartedly plodding along when I get the chance. I'm just not getting much of a chance at the moment. 

I've actually had a change of heart with regards to FM18. I don't think I have managed the club I support since....... I'm really not sure. I think it was the CM days rather than FM anyway, so..... I think I am going to play FM18 as a Youth Only save managing the club I support in real life. We have quite a batch of youngsters at the moment and there is certainly a focus on Youth, so I think a Youth Only save will be really interesting. 

I'm still keen on doing a France save one day, just keener to do this one.

On 04/08/2017 at 16:15, Jimbokav1971 said:

At International level he has scored 46 goals for the Senior Icelandic side in 88(28) appearances, (which I have checked and double-checked and even triple-checked as accurate), but this makes 116 appearances and he only has 108 Caps so there is something wrong somewhere here. 

Might have an answer for this mystery.

I believe there is a FIFA rule that states if more than a set number of substitutions are made during a "Friendly" match, then the match is not counted as an "official" ratified international and caps do not count

Not sure if that is implemented in FM though

Golan   
On 9/8/2017 at 15:52, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm still half-heartedly plodding along when I get the chance. I'm just not getting much of a chance at the moment. 

I've actually had a change of heart with regards to FM18. I don't think I have managed the club I support since....... I'm really not sure. I think it was the CM days rather than FM anyway, so..... I think I am going to play FM18 as a Youth Only save managing the club I support in real life. We have quite a batch of youngsters at the moment and there is certainly a focus on Youth, so I think a Youth Only save will be really interesting. 

I'm still keen on doing a France save one day, just keener to do this one.

Which is the club you support? Interested in your fm18 save if you are leaving this one