Flares

Apologies if this has its own thread. I know there are previous threads from the older versions of the game but I was just wondering whether there's flares on this years version. I know they only tend to come in Greece, the Balkans and Italy, but I'm managing Messina and I've yet to see any so far. Just wondering if they're still there. Cheers

Apologies if this has its own thread. I know there are previous threads from the older versions of the game but I was just wondering whether there's flares on this years version. I know they only tend to come in Greece, the Balkans and Italy, but I'm managing Messina and I've yet to see any so far. Just wondering if they're still there. Cheers

Funny you should say this, in my Leeds save i just played porto in the champions league and there were 2 flares within the visiting area for a brief period during the second half.

Funny you should say this, in my Leeds save i just played porto in the champions league and there were 2 flares within the visiting area for a brief period during the second half.

Haha really? Well that's great. Thanks for that mate. Feels it adds to the atmosphere when you're in southern/Eastern Europe. Glad they're still there

Haha really? Well that's great. Thanks for that mate. Feels it adds to the atmosphere when you're in southern/Eastern Europe. Glad they're still there

I know flares are in FM and continue to be. And I know this is part of football. But they are actually banned by FIFA in stadiums and are really a danger to public safety.

I wish they weren't in FM. Same as crowd trouble, pitch invasions, kicking a ball at a fan, fan racial abuse, or any of that nonsense is not in FM either.

Flares should not be in the game. As it encourages people to use flares, they are dangerous and shouldn't be encouraged.

IRL I went to a game on the continent last season and there must have been about 15 flares set off in the stadium in the space of about 1 minute. It made for a crazy atmosphere! I think they are a good inclusion, so I'm pleased to hear that they are still in the game. My guess is that they will probably be associated with certain teams or specific matches involving certain teams.

I know flares are in FM and continue to be. And I know this is part of football. But they are actually banned by FIFA in stadiums and are really a danger to public safety.

I wish they weren't in FM. Same as crowd trouble, pitch invasions, kicking a ball at a fan, fan racial abuse, or any of that nonsense is not in FM either.

Flares should not be in the game. As it encourages people to use flares, they are dangerous and shouldn't be encouraged.

I'd suggest that 90% of FM players have never thought about letting a flare off, seeing one on FM won't encourage them

I've let a flare off but not at a game and perhaps surprisingly if you're not an idiot with it's not dangerous

I'd suggest that 90% of FM players have never thought about letting a flare off, seeing one on FM won't encourage them

I've let a flare off but not at a game and perhaps surprisingly if you're not an idiot with it's not dangerous

That's great for you, but just because you're sensible with them doesn't mean that every mouth-breather (yourself excepted) will be the same. Wee Tam from the East End seeing that they look pure cool on the continent, then decides to let one off at his next away game while off his face. Aye, great plan. It might be my delicate British sensibilities, but I never quite understand the whole "it adds atmosphere" argument. Do you have to set fire to something to bring atmosphere? Seems like it'd annoy more people than would enjoy it.

Like alcohol at grounds up here, it's going to be something that potentially wouldn't have any danger being given to the wrong hands and causing danger. It's illegal here for a reason. To be fair, FM seems to mostly limit them to places where you'd be more likely to see them. Don't think it's totally uniform though - apocryphal maybe, but I'm sure I've seen them in English league games, and in European ties (where I'm sure UEFA would wade in). Actually surprised they're still in there at all to be honest.

Call me a boring old fart, but I agree with you 100 %.

Couldn't be more wrong! They add to the atmosphere and I really wish we had them here. Having lived and watched football in countries where flares are more common, I've never seen or experienced any problems with them as have none of the people I watched games with. But anyway, back to FM...

i don't think the demographic thats brings and uses flares in real life is the same demographic that plays FM :D
That's because they have a general fear of electricity. Why else would they gather in such amazement around fire?

I both play FM and love flares. It creates a very impressive spectacle you have to admit! They are part of the reason the atmosphere in other European leagues is a million times better than in the UK.

Couldn't be more wrong! They add to the atmosphere and I really wish we had them here. Having lived and watched football in countries where flares are more common, I've never seen or experienced any problems with them as have none of the people I watched games with. But anyway, back to FM...

How am I wrong? They are banned by FIFA.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2982822/No-flares-fireworks-beer-banners-strict-Copa-America-rules-fizz-summer-tournament-Chile.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10404246/England-face-Fifa-fine-for-allowing-Polish-fans-to-set-off-flare-in-World-Cup-qualifier-at-Wembley.html

Fifa said in a statement: “We can confirm that disciplinary proceedings have been opened against the Football Association and the Polish Football Association for incidents that were reported during the preliminary competition match of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil between England and Poland on 15 October 2013.”

Page 74 of this PDF (opens a PDF)

c) Flares and fireworks

i) The stadium safety and security management team must adopt and

enforce a clear policy prohibiting spectators from bringing flares,

fireworks or other forms of pyrotechnics into the stadium. This

should be clearly stated in the stadium code of conduct.

ii) Any event activities which include pyrotechnic displays must be

included in the fire risk assessment and a formal plan prepared,

which must be approved by the fire services and local authorities

Explain to me again how I'm wrong when it's clearly defined in FIFAs own regulations that Flares and Fireworks are to be prohibited.

Flares do cause injuries, often to people who are merely bystanders, they're not cool or OK, unless you think 'atmosphere' is worth serious risks to others health

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/22/teenagers-arrested-flares-burns-a-league

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/flare-kills-football-fan-at-world-cup-qualifying-match-1505057.html

Regardless of how dangerous flares are, I'm happy SI include them for the sake of realism. The idea that SI may somehow encourage numpties to undertake life-threatening behaviour at football matches is absurd to me; FM reflects the footballing world in a game as realistically as possible, so minor graphical inclusions like flares are fine with me.

I know they're banned. Whether they should be or not is a different argument. I was merely stating that I believe they really add to the atmosphere at a game. Yes, there are idiots everywhere who will injure themselves, but that is a tiny minority if you look at how many are set off at games every week.

For me, i'm pleased flares are included in the game. I know they can be dangerous IRL, but in my opinion they're good to see when i'm watching the crowds on FM. And I guess they can't hurt people in the computer game! I know when I go to a game on a Saturday, the most likely thing a flare would do is wake people up ;)

Yeh we all know they are at matches. Yeh they're kinda fun. I get that.

But they are dangerous and banned in real life.

If they continue to be in game then fines and messages about their dangers should be in FM.

After all you said it yourself, you want realism.

I don't think they should be in the game for the same reason as pitch invasions are not int the game. Or streakers. Or shooting a referree after being sent off. Things like this happen in real life but are not in the game for obvious reasons.

I don't think they should be in the game for the same reason as pitch invasions are not int the game. Or streakers. Or shooting a referree after being sent off. Things like this happen in real life but are not in the game for obvious reasons.

I'd love FM even more if the game had more of these things. Only in small amounts of course. Would make it a more real world.

To be honest, I prefer skinny jeans to flares. Not the ultra skinny jeans cos they will cause you an injury at a football match. But skinnies compared to the 70's flares. Then I'm all for it. Plus I swear if you wear flares at a football match other people can trip over them too?!? So quite glad they are banned to be honest. No wants a high as you like hippy at a game.

Comparing flares to shooting a referee? Wow.

That wasn't the comparison at all.

The comparison is really that a lot of things happen in real life that are not included in the game, for reasons of safety and to not promote such actions, e.g. streaking, or punching a referee, or jumping into the crowd kicking a fan, or racial abuse, or lots of things, including a referee being shot.

You've already seen the post where a fan did actually die from a flare, while rare, it's as rare as a referee being shot, probably.

Either way, both had lethal consequences.

You can't deny they are dangerous, and you can't deny they are prohibited by FIFA. Therefore, you can't deny they shouldn't be in the game.

U ever was looking tv or something else? This is a bit to much far away from reality. No question, thinks like flares can be bad, but.... there 2471246194691283781287 things outside in that world whos needs support to getting right. I dont understand what your point is, but if i see a red light in a corner of a stadium i say "hey nice " and not getting the idea to damage someone with this.....

Maybe you don't, maybe you're smart and wouldn't let off a flare, but you know what, you're not everyone, and there is someone who will do it.

Flares are prohibited by FIFA, regardless of your morale stance on them. If they were not prohibited by FIFA I wouldn't have a problem with them. However, they are, and therefore they shouldn't be encouraged, as they are actually dangerous.

As someone who has been involved in an active supporter group that uses flares (I have never set one off personally but most of my mates do) they are really not as dangerous as they are made out to be. Only way they're dangerous are if they are thrown or used stupidly. Been around them many times and never felt in any danger.

Also, people hating on them because they are prohibited by FIFA is utter nonsense. FIFA also gave gave a WC to Qatar and risked peoples lives to build stadiums.

Clearly not nonsense.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10490064/Campaign-starts-to-warn-of-dangers-of-fans-using-flares-and-smoke-bombs-in-grounds.html

http://www.peppermintbars.co.uk/flares-and-smoke-bombs-into-football-matches/

Just because you don't think they're dangerous does not mean they're not dangerous.

I would side on the side of the professionals here who work and study these statistics every day, instead of a fan who just loves to set off a flare in a stadium because it adds to the 'atmosphere', blocks the view of the game for other fans by smoke, incurs smoke inhalation, and can also melt steel.

That's a whole lot of fun right there...isn't it...

Clearly not nonsense.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10490064/Campaign-starts-to-warn-of-dangers-of-fans-using-flares-and-smoke-bombs-in-grounds.html

http://www.peppermintbars.co.uk/flares-and-smoke-bombs-into-football-matches/

Just because you don't think they're dangerous does not mean they're not dangerous.

I would side on the side of the professionals here who work and study these statistics every day, instead of a fan who just loves to set off a flare in a stadium because it adds to the 'atmosphere', blocks the view of the game for other fans by smoke, incurs smoke inhalation, and can also melt steel.

That's a whole lot of fun right there...isn't it...

I am saying that being against them because FIFA are is nonsense, not being against them all together. Like I said, I have never set off a flare but am just speaking from experience. Where I come from, there are designated active supporter bays so that if people want to chant they go there and know that flares are used. If thrown (particularly when aimed at someone like in the first link) they are very dangerous but used in a responsible manner they are not that bad.

What would be the point in campaigning for them to be removed from FM if they are allowed by Fifa???

They are prohibited, therefore they shouldn't be in FM. It's that simple.

Coins can be used in a responsible manner too, yet you still get people throwing coins at players...should that be in game too?

Flares are prohibited. Either remove them from the game or clubs should be fined in FM if used in the stadiums.

After all, you want it as realistic as possible, right?

What would be the point in campaigning for them to be removed from FM if they are allowed by Fifa???

They are prohibited, therefore they shouldn't be in FM. It's that simple.

Coins can be used in a responsible manner too, yet you still get people throwing coins at players...should that be in game too?

Flares are prohibited. Either remove them from the game or clubs should be fined in FM if used in the stadiums.

After all, you want it as realistic as possible, right?

Yes, which is exactly why they should be in the game in leagues where they are often used. Comparing them to coins is hilarious on so many levels.

It's not a comparison of seriousness. It's a comparison of what's allowed and what's not allowed.

If flares are prohibited from stadiums by FIFA, along with coin throwing. Then if flares are allowed then coin throwing should be allowed.

Even further, if coin throwing is allowed, then players being racially abused should be allowed. If that's allowed then a player kicking the ball into the crowd should be in FM. If that's in FM then streaking should be in FM. If it happens in real life then put in the game... regardless of whether it's dangerous or not.

If fans get stabbed at matches - then put that in FM. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3329517/West-Ham-fan-hospital-stabbed-outside-White-Hart-Lane-s-Premier-League-clash-Tottenham.html

Why not put in fan riots at matches - as that happens in games http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/parents-teenage-birmingham-city-fan-5682650

Why not have rival fans beat the bajaysus out of each other http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/video-violent-scuffles-break-out-between-rival-fans-ahead-of-man-citysevilla-champions-league-tie-34129393.html

All for the same reasons why Flares should not be in FM. They are dangerous.

you've gone so far with this i don't know where to begin? somebody saw a flare playing FM and is going to do what? set on fire whole town? seriously? if taht is the logic we should all play chess. or badminton and that is it. guns are also dangerous but there are ******** of games with guns and killing and whatnot. personally i don't play them but i don't think that someone who does (my neighbour) is going to kill me when i get out my door.

flares are part of football culture in some parts of world and they have their place in the game. after all they are safety items used on boats so, ironically, they save lifes :D joking aside, i come from port city, we always had flares on terraces and there was never an accident with them. and we use a lot. they melt steel? really? they are signalling device not a blow torch and if you aren't acting really stupid like lighting it up in your face you are fine. can they be dangerous? yes. as practically anything can be dangerous. did fifa an them? yes, as they did with a lot of stuff. however they are far less concerned with safety and much more with money.

atmosphere might be stupid to someone just as much sitting on the terrace for 90 minutes might be stupid to someone else. however, we like to party.

[video=youtube;wp_LpSfxIgw]

Video games, especially FM, do not encourage people to use flares. People don't go on FM, see a flare and think "I want to set off flares next game". People maybe stupid but FM doesn't encourage such actions.

Flares, banners and flags are set by the clubs researchers. I do Wrexham and we have options to enable these add ons to our clubs if they're used in real life by the clubs fans. Clubs in England won't have Flares but clubs from Polish and Austrian clubs certainly will along with other countries.

Anyone who is 'inspired' by FM to use flares can also be 'inspired' by seeing them on tv. Should we therefore ban TV stations from showing games from leagues where flares are set off just in ase someone is inspired to do the same? Like a previous poster I used to stand in the end of a ground where flares where set off. I never felt in any danger whatsoever. Instead of repeating the line of 'they are banned by FIFA' how about expanding your argument?

So are some animals, they're still allowed to be kept as pets. Cars and motor bikes are dangerous in the wrong hands, they're still allowed to be driven. Climbing trees can be dangerous, kids still do it. Next...

Just because you think they're safe doesn't make them safe.

Are they banned by FIFA ... The answer is yes.

Are they dangerous in a small space with 100s of people around. Yes!

It is clear from the way you speak that you have never been around one. I speak from my personal experiences.

Archived