dafuge on tour again

dafuge

FC Eindhoven - Jupiler League- 2034/35

We missed out on promoted last season by losing in the playoffs, but we fancied our chances this season due to the quality if the players we had in the squad.

League Table - we pretty much led from start to finish, winning the league with relative ease.

KNVB Beker - knocked out in our first match.

Squad - a number of our better players are already leaving, but I'm gambling on finding better replacements. Our coaches don't think we have any Eredivisie standard players, so I will need to strengthen.

Transfers - just a few players added to fill up the squad, including a new strike partnership.

Finances - we made quite a big loss, but hopefully the promotion will help us with the finances.

Key Player Profiles:

Farès Benzerga - our new striker was our top scorer.

Richard Ibrahim - the supporting striker also scored quite a few.

Jonathan Godwin - another superb season.

Mark Blake - a new winger who might become a backup next season.

Robert Hopkins - still our most valuable player who attracted buds from Feyenoord.

Career Overview

Season     Team                 Country    League                            Position       Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    19th           Took over in December
2016/17    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    14th          
2017/18    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    15th          
2018/19    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    4th            Promoted via playoffs
2019/20    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League          19th           FA Trophy finalists
2020/21    Hartlepool United    England    Vanarama National League          n/a            Took over in October, sacked in January
2020/21    Scunthorpe United    England    Vanarama National League          6th            Took over in March
2021/22    Scunthorpe United    England    Vanarama National League          1st            Promoted as champions
2022/23    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet League 2                  4th            Took over in March, promoted via playoffs
2023/24    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet League 1                  2nd            Promoted
2024/25    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet Championship              19th          
2025/26    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet Championship              16th
2026/27    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet Championship              8th
2027/28    Freamunde            Portugal   Segunda Liga                      3rd            Promoted
2028/29    Guimarães            Portugal   Liga NOS                          5th            Took over in January
2029/30    Guimarães            Portugal   Liga NOS                          6th           
2030/31    Guimarães            Portugal   Liga NOS                          4th            Taça da Liga winners
2031/32    Guimarães            Portugal   Liga NOS                          3rd            Taça da Liga and Taça de Portugal finalists
2032/33    Guimarães            Portugal   Liga NOS                          1st            Taça da Liga finalists
2033/34    FC Eindhoven         Holland    Jupiler League                    6th            Took over in November
2034/35    FC Eindhoven         Holland    Jupiler League                    1st            Promoted as champions

Next Season

The new stadium opens in July, which is convenient as we make our way back to the Eredivisie. The club has been promoted to the top flight three times now since the game started, I'm looking to be the first of those managers to keep them there.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things haven't quite gone to plan so far.

Letting those players leave on frees was a big mistake, I've ended up replacing them with weaker players on higher wages. I've also spent all my budget yet I only have 15 players.

To make things worse, the new stadium wasn't opened on time, it has been pushed back to October.

Dafuge, after playing a considerable amount of seasons now, how would you rate FM 16 in terms of difficulty if you you want to play your way; plug in a tactic and just focus on squad building?

I've found it much more difficult this year, but you're the expert in that. :)

Finally, would you ever consider changing your playing style, watching games in comprehensive/extended highlights, making changes etc.?

Dafuge, after playing a considerable amount of seasons now, how would you rate FM 16 in terms of difficulty if you you want to play your way; plug in a tactic and just focus on squad building?

I've found it much more difficult this year, but you're the expert in that. :)

Finally, would you ever consider changing your playing style, watching games in comprehensive/extended highlights, making changes etc.?

I've not really noticed much difference in terms of difficulty, it is still far too easy to have success in the long term by just improving the squad and keeping them happy. The only problems I've had have been in jobs where the squad is a mess and I can't do anything about it.

I've got no interest in tinkering with tactics, but I am watching every match in 3D on this save. The ME is far less predictable when you keep moving clubs, so I've not got tired of watching the matches yet.

8Xyfue9.png

Even before moving to Holland I knew that I wanted to move to one of the bigger clubs, but this was a move that I hadn't expected. I've jumped ship midseason and joined the rivals of my previous club, FC Eindhoven.

Club

Facilities

Finances

Squad

League Table

This is a huge step up, and easily the biggest club I have managed in my career. My long term plan has to be to catch up with Ajax and win the title.

8Xyfue9.png

Even before moving to Holland I knew that I wanted to move to one of the bigger clubs, but this was a move that I hadn't expected. I've jumped ship midseason and joined the rivals of my previous club, FC Eindhoven.

Club

Facilities

Finances

Squad

League Table

This is a huge step up, and easily the biggest club I have managed in my career. My long term plan has to be to catch up with Ajax and win the title.

They're miles behind still in my thread.

PSV - Eredivisie - 2035/36

I took this job near the end of 2035 with the club in 8th, three positions lower than my club at the time FC Eindhoven. Making sure we qualified for European competition was the main aim for the season.

League Table - after dropping to 3rd in our penultimate match, we had a thrilling final match against Groningen to decide the other Champions League spot after Ajax.

KNVB Beker - I didn't manage this one, thankfully.

UEFA Champions League - after a horrible draw in the playoffs, the club ended up in the Europa League. I won my only game in the competition, but it wasn't enough to qualify from the group stage.

Squad - I had to release a lot of players, but the squad had some great attacking players already there. I should just need to bring in some new central defenders for next season.

Transfers - I had a decent amount of money to spend in January, so I splashed out on a new keeper and two full backs.

Finances - a big loss due to my spending, but nothing to worry about just yet.

Key Player Profiles:

João Viana - the previous manager did well to bring him in for £1.4m, I'm delighted to be managing him again.

Jorge Martínez - the other decent striker already at the club.

Manuel Vlijter - it makes such a difference for me to have decent wingers, he was already at the club.

Michel Mulder - our most valuable player.

Lucas Giménez - the most impressive of my signings.

Career Overview

Season     Team                 Country    League                            Position       Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    19th           Took over in December
2016/17    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    14th          
2017/18    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    15th          
2018/19    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    4th            Promoted via playoffs
2019/20    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League          19th           FA Trophy finalists
2020/21    Hartlepool United    England    Vanarama National League          n/a            Took over in October, sacked in January
2020/21    Scunthorpe United    England    Vanarama National League          6th            Took over in March
2021/22    Scunthorpe United    England    Vanarama National League          1st            Promoted as champions
2022/23    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet League 2                  4th            Took over in March, promoted via playoffs
2023/24    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet League 1                  2nd            Promoted
2024/25    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet Championship              19th          
2025/26    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet Championship              16th
2026/27    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet Championship              8th
2027/28    Freamunde            Portugal   Segunda Liga                      3rd            Promoted
2028/29    Guimarães            Portugal   Liga NOS                          5th            Took over in January
2029/30    Guimarães            Portugal   Liga NOS                          6th           
2030/31    Guimarães            Portugal   Liga NOS                          4th            Taça da Liga winners
2031/32    Guimarães            Portugal   Liga NOS                          3rd            Taça da Liga and Taça de Portugal finalists
2032/33    Guimarães            Portugal   Liga NOS                          1st            Taça da Liga finalists
2033/34    FC Eindhoven         Holland    Jupiler League                    6th            Took over in November
2034/35    FC Eindhoven         Holland    Jupiler League                    1st            Promoted as champions
2035/36    PSV                  Holland    Eredivisie                        2nd            Took over in December

Next Season

I'm amazed how close we got to Ajax this season, I don't see why we shouldn't be looking to win the title next season.

PSV - Eredivisie - 2036/37

I made a big impact in my half season after taking over last year, this season I thought we had a decent chance of challenging for the title.

League Table - we won the title with ease, mostly due to Ajax being terrible compared to last season.

KNVB Beker - I rotated the squad and paid the price.

UEFA Champions League - we blew our chance of making the group stage in spectacular fashion, then managed to fail to qualify from the group stage of the Europa League in our final match.

Squad - we've got a decent squad, although there are improvements to be made.

Transfers - I lost a star player to a release clause, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Finances - a big loss, but that should change by making the Champions League group stage.

Key Player Profiles:

João Viana - top scorer, but injury hampered his season.

Jorge Martínez - had another good season, but his time here is limited.

Jorrit van Ooujen - another great season halted by injury.

Rachid Vink - one of my new signings is our most valuable player.

Willy Ondo - an exciting January signing.

Career Overview

2035/36    PSV                  Holland    Eredivisie                        2nd            Took over in December
2036/37    PSV                  Holland    Eredivisie                        1st           

Next Season

I've finally guaranteed an appearance in the Champions League group stage, so I'm going to stay for at least one more season to see how that goes.

PSV - Eredivisie - 2037/38

Last season we won the title quite easily as Ajax faltered, this season I was finally able to take part in the Champions League group stage.

League Table - this title was even easier than the last. Ajax were in 17th after 23 games before putting a run together to make the European playoffs on the final day.

Johan Cruijff Schaal - my first domestic super cup match did not end well.

KNVB Beker - this was my first major cup win, without conceding a goal!

UEFA Champions League - the group stage went as well as could be expected as we only came up short against PSG. We were knocked out by Europa league and UEFA Super Cup holders West Ham.

Squad - plenty of room for improvement, but this squad is far too good for this league.

Transfers - there wasn't enough money available to strengthen the squad properly, but I did manage to make two signings by begging for more money.

Finances - the Champions League money is yet to come in, which should sort the finances out.

Key Player Profiles:

João Viana - missed four months with a torn calf muscle and didn't really recover his previous form.

Jorge Martínez - top scorer in Viana's absence.

Rachid Vink - another star player who missed a large chunk of the season through injury.

Christián Di Laura - a brilliant young midfielder.

Willy Ondo - our most valuable player, but he hasn't quite hit the heights expected of him.

Career Overview

2036/37    PSV                  Holland    Eredivisie                        1st           
2037/38    PSV                  Holland    Eredivisie                        1st            KNVB Beker winners

Next Season

Despite the success, this season was a frustrating one. A lot of the good players I have are being targeted by bigger clubs and I can't find any replacements good enough that I can afford should they decide to leave.

My contract is expiring soon and I don't think I can really achieve more than I have at this club without staying for a number of years. The plan is to leave when my contract expires and move to France, but I'm not sure what type of club I'm after. If an interesting club is available in Ligue 2 I might be interested, but I might just go straight for a job in Ligue 1.

s91raE6.png

Having enjoyed my time in Holland, it was time to move away as the league seemed to be in decline. I already had France in mind, and Monaco have given me a great opportunity to manage a big club who are having a tough time.

Club - the club has a great reputation, so I should be able to attract better players than at PSV.

Facilities - the club have already built a new stadium, named after the goalie who made over 600 appearances for the club.

Finances - this isn't good.

Squad - the squad is huge, with 80 players in total. I'll be selling some players soon.

League Table - Monaco finished 6th last season, but find themselves down in 10th. The board are just expecting a top half finish.

In Holland I set myself the challenge of beating Ajax to the title, it looks like beating PSG to the title is going to be a much bigger challenge.

Slightly off topic question but how on earth do you do a season in 2 to 3 days...? Do you play 10 hours a day or just blitz through that quickly? (Classic mode maybe or something?).

Playing a match takes me 15 minutes... though it's getting quicker as my squad improves.

Slightly off topic question but how on earth do you do a season in 2 to 3 days...? Do you play 10 hours a day or just blitz through that quickly? (Classic mode maybe or something?).

Playing a match takes me 15 minutes... though it's getting quicker as my squad improves.

A bit of a mixture of playing quickly (although I am watching key highlights in 3D on this save) and playing for a number of hours a day if possible.

I'd guess that I complete a season and a bit over a weekend, it's the holidays when I really plough through the seasons.

A bit of a mixture of playing quickly (although I am watching key highlights in 3D on this save) and playing for a number of hours a day if possible.

I'd guess that I complete a season and a bit over a weekend, it's the holidays when I really plough through the seasons.

Ah fair enough. I can't see myself ever being able to go through that quickly, I try to involve myself too much. I suppose if your doing a journeyman there isn't a massive incentive to search through thousands of 16yr olds as you won't be there when they are useful anyway.

Do you genuinely just keep the same tactic (442 diamond wide) every game by the way? Pretty much every story I read is "AI sussed my tactic out after 6months / 1 season and now I can't win a game". It obviously works for you though, I use a 442 diamond narrow which I'm enjoying, might give a wide diamond a try at some point.

Great career so far, look forward to updates!

Ah fair enough. I can't see myself ever being able to go through that quickly, I try to involve myself too much. I suppose if your doing a journeyman there isn't a massive incentive to search through thousands of 16yr olds as you won't be there when they are useful anyway.

Do you genuinely just keep the same tactic (442 diamond wide) every game by the way? Pretty much every story I read is "AI sussed my tactic out after 6months / 1 season and now I can't win a game". It obviously works for you though, I use a 442 diamond narrow which I'm enjoying, might give a wide diamond a try at some point.

Great career so far, look forward to updates!

I've not changed my tactics once since I decided I was happy with them at my first club. With the exception of one version of FM (where I played a 4-2-3-1), I've been using this tactic every year since at least FM05 :D

I've not changed my tactics once since I decided I was happy with them at my first club. With the exception of one version of FM (where I played a 4-2-3-1), I've been using this tactic every year since at least FM05 :D

I'm impressed haha, I might have to try just sticking to a tactic. I currently run 3 tactics (standard 442 attacking wide play, 442 narrow diamond possession, 4141 more defensive possession set-up), it makes squad building and keep players happy difficult!

It can get a little overwhelming with too many tactics. I had three too, but in the end, having wingbacks, fullbacks, central defenders and defensive midfielders only playing half the time yet receiving full wages was a bit much. Not to mention the midfield. Going from 352 to 32221 is either lot of people playing out if position or an expensive wage to sit on their arses. When you're rich and at the top it's fine, but LLM is a ball ache. The alternative is of course to stick with 1 formation but if that formation stops or doesn't work, it's tough to bring in new positional players.

/endthreadderailment

Great thread Dafuge. You've been my FM inspiration for many years

Archived