dafuge on tour again

dafuge

Wow! For a start finding Birmingham in League 2 is surprising. Also I'm not sure I'd ever consider abandoning a team that's on the verge of back-to-back promotions. But I can see why this move would be tempting... they're not even that far back.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Birmingham City - Sky Bet League 2 - 2022/23

Despite having success at Scunthorpe I took the chance to move to a bigger club, even though it meant a step back in the league.

League Table - we comfortably made the playoffs as my old club won the league.

Playoff semi final 1st leg - this was a great lead, but we lost Huxtable due to injury.

Playoff semi final 2nd leg - 0-0 would have been fine, but we made it exciting for the fans.

Playoff final - it should have been an easy win, but the sending off made it a nervy second half.

Johnstone's Trophy - this was under the previous management.

Capital One Cup - as was this.

FA Cup - the previous manager had no luck in the cups.

Squad - a few decent players for this league.

Transfers - I didn't sign anyone.

Finances - the finances aren't great, but we have the potential to change that.

Key Player Profiles:

Alex Jakubiak - top scorer.

Artjoms Rudnevs - scored a lot under the previous manager.

Jon Taylor - a decent season for the winger.

Will Vaulks - wants to leave.

Oskari Jakonen - our most valuable player.

Career Overview

Season     Team                 Country    League                            Position       Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    19th           Took over in December
2016/17    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    14th          
2017/18    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    15th          
2018/19    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    4th            Promoted via playoffs
2019/20    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League          19th           FA Trophy finalists
2020/21    Hartlepool United    England    Vanarama National League          n/a            Took over in October, sacked in January
2020/21    Scunthorpe United    England    Vanarama National League          6th            Took over in March
2021/22    Scunthorpe United    England    Vanarama National League          1st            Promoted as champions
2022/23    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet League 2                  4th            Took over in March, promoted via playoffs

Next Season

We have a handful of League 1 standard players already, so I'm confident we can do well provided I can add a few new players to the squad.

Birmingham City - Sky Bet League 1 - 2023/24

After our playoff victory of last season we were hoping for another promotion to take this club back to where it belongs.

League Table - we lost the title on the final day to Wayne Rooney's Bristol City.

Johnstone's Trophy - this should be the last time we compete in this competition.

Capital One Cup - the Championship side outplayed us.

FA Cup - we got a big pay day, along with a first half spanking.

Squad - we have a few Premier League standard players, so a few new players should be enough for next season.

Transfers - sold transfer clauses prompted the mid season transfers, although it resulted in a huge dip in form.

Finances - this doesn't look great, but we are getting closer to the riches of the Premier League.

Key Player Profiles:

Alex Jakubiak - top scorer again.

Andrea Pinamonti - the new striker.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek - an amazing signing for this division.

Mario Luzii - our most valuable player.

Oskari Jakonen - one of the players I inherited that I've been impressed with.

Career Overview

Season     Team                 Country    League                            Position       Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    19th           Took over in December
2016/17    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    14th          
2017/18    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    15th          
2018/19    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League South    4th            Promoted via playoffs
2019/20    Concord Rangers      England    Vanarama National League          19th           FA Trophy finalists
2020/21    Hartlepool United    England    Vanarama National League          n/a            Took over in October, sacked in January
2020/21    Scunthorpe United    England    Vanarama National League          6th            Took over in March
2021/22    Scunthorpe United    England    Vanarama National League          1st            Promoted as champions
2022/23    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet League 2                  4th            Took over in March, promoted via playoffs
2023/24    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet League 1                  2nd            Promoted

Next Season

I really think we should be in contention for a third straight promotion, it all depends on how the transfers go over the summer.

Birmingham City - Sky Bet Championship - 2024/25

So far with Birmingham I've had two seasons and two promotions. With a decent squad, I was hoping of continuing that trend and make it to the Premier League.

League Table - this wasn't expected. We started well, but fell apart when our squad was tested with injuries.

Capital One Cup - we came so close to beating Premier League Palace.

FA Cup - we had a shocker against League 1 Charlton.

Squad - the squad is pretty decent, but we don't have the money to renew the expiring contracts.

Transfers - I signed some great players, but they just didn't make the impact I was hoping for.

Finances - this is bad.

Key Player Profiles:

Andrea Pinamonti - top scorer.

Alex Jakubiak - scored a few from a supporting role.

Stephan Pierie - a brilliant new signing, but wasn't as impressive as I was hoping for.

Jason Eyenga-Lokilo - another new signing.

Mario Luzil - had another decent season.

Career Overview

2023/24    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet League 1                  2nd            Promoted
2024/25    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet Championship              19th          

Next Season

The finances are a bit of a worry, so I'm not sure how much I can hope for. Avoiding relegation looks like the likely target.

Maybe you should sell some players and try to make around £10m to balance things a bit. The finances are worrying.

That's the one thing that gives me hope, I have a few players who could be sold to clear the debt. On the other hand, if I make it to the Premier League then the debt will disappear!

Birmingham City - Sky Bet Championship - 2025/26

We badly struggled at the end of last season, although we were never in danger of relegation. This season we were hoping for an improvement.

League Table - it was an improvement on last season, but we slipped into poor runs of form far too often.

Capital One Cup - we were narrowly beaten by Premier League Swansea.

FA Cup - we had a great win against Everton, but Man City were far too strong for us.

Squad - we have a few good players, but the squad is far too thin.

Transfers - Loftus-Cheek forced a move, hopefully the money will allow us to strengthen next season.

Finances - the transfer money has given us a profit.

Key Player Profiles:

Lenny Charbonnier - the new striker was our top scorer.

Andrea Pinamonti - playing well as the supporting striker.

Stephan Pierie - a key player, but he's not quite lived up to the hype.

Jason Eyenga-Lokilo - an improvement on last season.

Mario Luzil - still one of our best players.

Career Overview

2024/25    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet Championship              19th          
2025/26    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet Championship              16th

Next Season

I'm starting to wonder if I've taken Birmingham as far as I can, so with one year left on my contract it might be time to move on at the end of next season.

Birmingham City - Sky Bet Championship - 2026/27

After securing our place in the Championship for a third season, we felt we had a chance of making an impact. I was hoping for a top half finish.

League Table - we were so close to making the playoffs, but tailed off towards the end of the season.

Capital One Cup - we lost to League 2 MK Dons, which was not good.

FA Cup - we put up a good fight against Man Utd.

Squad - this squad was good enough to win this league.

Transfers - our star striker was poached due to a release clause, but it allowed us to spend big.

Finances - in the black.

Key Player Profiles:

Lewis Nicholas - my first big money signing was our top scorer.

George Osei - a great free transfer.

Stephan Pierie - his best season yet.

Victor Baena - signed late on.

Alí García - an amazing free transfer.

Career Overview

2025/26    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet Championship              16th
2026/27    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet Championship              8th

Next Season

Missing out on the playoffs was a huge blow, but it has made my mind up on leaving when my contract expires.

IUjkjwM.png

After achieving two promotions with Birmingham it was time for a new challenge. My first move abroad has come with an offer from Portuguese second division Freamunde.

Club

Facilities

Finances

Squad

League Table

This is a newly promoted club, so it should give me a relatively clean slate to work with. I have no idea how this is going to go, but I'm hoping to use this as a stepping stone to one of the bigger Portuguese clubs.

Freamunde - Segunda Liga - 2027/28

My first job abroad took me to relatively unknown Freamunde in the Portuguese second division. This season was a bit on an unknown, I had no idea what we could achieve.

League Table - an unlikely promotion came with games to spare. It was a huge surprise how easy we found it.

Taça da Liga - my first match in charge didn't go too well.

Taça de Portugal - we had a decent run but taking on Porto with nine men wasn't a great idea.

Squad - I inherited a group of great players, many of which should be good enough for next season.

Transfers - the overhaul I was expecting wasn't needed, so I just signed a few players.

Finances - the board topped up the finances to avoid trouble.

Key Player Profiles:

Ricardo - he wanted to leave when I took the job, but became happy whilst banging in the goals.

Alex - another great player who was already at the club.

Júnior - another player who became happy in time.

Lima - one of my best signings.

Bruno - another brilliant signing.

Career Overview

2026/27    Birmingham City      England    Sky Bet Championship              8th
2027/28    Freamunde            Portugal   Segunda Liga                      3rd            Promoted

Next Season

Staying up is my only real aim, if I can achieve that then I'll be happy to move on when my contract expires.

How have your former clubs got on since you left them?

Good question!

Birmingham - almost exactly where I left them, just outside the playoffs in the Championship.

Scunthorpe - promoted to League 1 in the season I left them, have since slid back down to the Conference National.

Hartlepool - a few years after sacking me they were relegated twice to below the Conference, they have recently worked their way back to the Conference National.

Concord Rangers - relegated to below the Conference after I left, have made two unsuccessful attempts to stay in the Conference South.

zvCSQ24.png

I had no real reason to leave Freamunde, but this was an offer that I couldn't turn down. Not only was it the bigger Portuguese club I was after, but it was a club I have fond memories of after a UEFA Cup match with my local team Pompey.

Club

Facilities

Finances

Squad

League Table

The more I think about it, the worse this decision gets. My new club sits below my old club (they were above them went I went for the interview) and the financial situation won't allow me to bring in any new players before the transfer window closes in a week. We have to stay up this season.

Guimarães - Liga NOS - 2028/29

Late in January I made the decision to leave Freamunde for a bigger club, who just happened to be in financial ruin and a relegation battle. It looked like a terrible decision, but one that could pay off if I could make it through the remainder of the season.

League Table - we stole a Europe League spot on the last day thanks to eight wins in a row. I was amazed how easy it was, my only three defeats came against Porto, Benfica and Sporting.

Taça da Liga - before my time, but this was a shocker.

Taça de Portugal - this defeat came a few weeks before I took over.

Squad - the squad was huge, with a number of promising youngsters in the U19s and B team. Replacing the loans will be tough.

Transfers - I didn't sign anyone, but sold and released a lot of players.

Finances - this is after the prize money came in, so the finances are not good.

Key Player Profiles:

Eduardo Tavares - a top quality striker who had already agreed to leave when I took over.

Kid - I've just upset him over his wages, but he's great.

Renzo Sequeyra - this loan was our most valuable player.

Tiago Bóia - another big loan signing.

Ferreira - a brilliant young defender.

Career Overview

2027/28    Freamunde            Portugal   Segunda Liga                      3rd            Promoted
2028/29    Guimarães            Portugal   Liga NOS                          5th            Took over in January

Next Season

Qualifying for Europe was a huge unexpected bonus that might just solve our financial problems. Next season we really want to be challenging the four clubs above us in the league.

Archived