Will need convincing before parting with my money!

I have played FM since 2008 version and must say I have had many hours enjoyment from it over the years.

However, before I spend my money this year I will need a little more convincing about some of the 'reality' issues in the ME.

It took me a while to get to grips with the new 'roles' etc in '14, but I eventually managed it and developed a good set of tactics and bought/developed a decent squad playing as Wigan. Easy team to start with and with just a couple of purchases to shore up the squad won, the championship comfortably...got to quarter finals of Euro cup...and won the Carling cup in the first season.

After tweaking my tactics and making some more purchases I was ready for a run in the prem with the big boys. Media predicted 15th but I knew I do top half finish. Things went great...beat Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chealsea and Tottenham on the way to 3rd spot at the half way point....my tactics were working. +26 goals due to banging them in against the lower teams and more than holding my own with the top lot.

Second half of the season started very well too...early exit from the Carling cup....but we were away to Chelsea! but all other results pretty much comparable to the first half.

Dropped down to 4th spot after picking up a few injuries during a congested period of fixtures, but nothing long term fortunately and I managed a good run to the semi-final of the FA cup and a Quarter final in Euro.....Squad are in good health and fantastic spirits....moral is either superb or very good throughout the entire squad.

I tell you all this to point out that My tactics have proven to be sound and the team are performing very well with no issues.....

Why then, for the last 8 games of the season can I not buy a win...or even a draw? and that's being up against 2 teams already relegated so not fighting for survival. My main striker...(32 goals) has missed 12...YES 12!...clear cut chances in the last 5 games....my passing completion rate has dropped from the mid to high 80% to a low 70%....I loose a high proportion of headers...especially in my own box...where I usually have a high 90% rate....I could go on...but suffice to say A. my performance has dropped dramatically....for no apparent reason and B. my opponents...especially the lowly ones seem to have gained super-human powers and Barcelona-esk abillities ???

I know it's football and can be unpredictable....but....not to the extent it happens in FM2014. I have seen and been involved in similar situations in my other saves too...it's not just this one....

It is unrealistic. It doesn't happen in real football....maybe for the odd 'game' here and there....perhaps 2 or 3 times a season there is a 'shock result'....but never a total collapse, or a new found special ability for a bottom team!!!

I have coped with the well documented issues of players running past the ball etc etc etc that are nuances of the ME....but I can't cope with having spent many, many hours developing a squad and a set of tactics...many more hours watching games and tweaking/making shouts to ensure I get the result....only for it all to collapse at the end of a long season due to ....... what? can anyone please tell me?

I can only assume there is some code that would cause this...giving unrealistic bonuses to opponents perhaps when playing the controlled team? I really don't know.....but back to the point of my post.....I will not be buying '15 unless I am convinced otherwise.....

First, from your last paragraph, absolutely not. There are no bonuses to opponents, the ME doesn't even know which team is which.

As a general point, complacency sounds like the issue, probably combined with your opponents treating you very differently in tactical terms to the earlier season 15th predictions. Collapses do happen in real life, probably not so much in the Premier but then IRL managers there wouldn't let it!

You shot yourself in the foot saying your tactics were working implying there was no reason to adjust. You just got promoted, teams will see you as relegation candidates until you prove otherwise, you then overachieve and find yourself high flying and thats when you start failing. Teams will no longer see you as relegation candidates, they will play against you differently and you failed to adjust. Tactics that work for half a season doesn't mean it'll work in the second half. It's not your tactics, it you... and failing to adjust against teams who no longer see you as target practice or equals, they now see you as a big threat. I can relate as I got Lincoln promoted in the 2nd season up out the Conference and while being predicted to finish 21st, I found myself high flying up in 2nd place on the back of a incredible 14 game unbeaten run (incredible given Im newly promoted) and for a while I got caught out, for one game, I failed to adjust and my unbeaten run was ended with a 0-2 home defeat to a side I should beat. So I adjusted and got going again and the results came good again and as quickly as my unbeaten run was ended. Regarding your strikers missing sitters, for a start, I personally wouldnt look at what the game counts as a CCC because it's not reliable enough. The other thing is, I'd ask what you are telling them in team talks. Are they missing because of pressure or missing because of being too casual?. Some might think FM is all about team talks as it sure is important, but players and tactics are equally important from my own experience. Try the demo which will be out just before the full release date and see if its your cuppa. If it isn't, theres FIFA which is a great game (I dont knock it unlike some around here. Played every FIFA and FM for years now). All the best of luck if you get FM15 :thup:

I'll be glad when this becomes the FM15 Forum, FM14 is so yesterday ;)

FM14 is still very much today in my house Kriss. :lol:

Seriously though, I've experienced a similar problem in my Queens Park save a couple of seasons ago. Started undefeated in the first 10 games, everyone happy and content and then didn't win any of my next 7 games. (2 draws, 5 losses)

I called a team talk, switched tactics around a little and dropped a couple of players who may have got too confident of being first choice, and therefore became too complacent on the pitch as well.

It seemed to pay off as the results did improve but it was a slow process.

I have played FM since 2008 version and must say I have had many hours enjoyment from it over the years.

However, before I spend my money this year I will need a little more convincing about some of the 'reality' issues in the ME.

It took me a while to get to grips with the new 'roles' etc in '14, but I eventually managed it and developed a good set of tactics and bought/developed a decent squad playing as Wigan. Easy team to start with and with just a couple of purchases to shore up the squad won, the championship comfortably...got to quarter finals of Euro cup...and won the Carling cup in the first season.

After tweaking my tactics and making some more purchases I was ready for a run in the prem with the big boys. Media predicted 15th but I knew I do top half finish. Things went great...beat Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chealsea and Tottenham on the way to 3rd spot at the half way point....my tactics were working. +26 goals due to banging them in against the lower teams and more than holding my own with the top lot.

Second half of the season started very well too...early exit from the Carling cup....but we were away to Chelsea! but all other results pretty much comparable to the first half.

Dropped down to 4th spot after picking up a few injuries during a congested period of fixtures, but nothing long term fortunately and I managed a good run to the semi-final of the FA cup and a Quarter final in Euro.....Squad are in good health and fantastic spirits....moral is either superb or very good throughout the entire squad.

I tell you all this to point out that My tactics have proven to be sound and the team are performing very well with no issues.....

Why then, for the last 8 games of the season can I not buy a win...or even a draw? and that's being up against 2 teams already relegated so not fighting for survival. My main striker...(32 goals) has missed 12...YES 12!...clear cut chances in the last 5 games....my passing completion rate has dropped from the mid to high 80% to a low 70%....I loose a high proportion of headers...especially in my own box...where I usually have a high 90% rate....I could go on...but suffice to say A. my performance has dropped dramatically....for no apparent reason and B. my opponents...especially the lowly ones seem to have gained super-human powers and Barcelona-esk abillities ???

I know it's football and can be unpredictable....but....not to the extent it happens in FM2014. I have seen and been involved in similar situations in my other saves too...it's not just this one....

It is unrealistic. It doesn't happen in real football....maybe for the odd 'game' here and there....perhaps 2 or 3 times a season there is a 'shock result'....but never a total collapse, or a new found special ability for a bottom team!!!

I have coped with the well documented issues of players running past the ball etc etc etc that are nuances of the ME....but I can't cope with having spent many, many hours developing a squad and a set of tactics...many more hours watching games and tweaking/making shouts to ensure I get the result....only for it all to collapse at the end of a long season due to ....... what? can anyone please tell me?

I can only assume there is some code that would cause this...giving unrealistic bonuses to opponents perhaps when playing the controlled team? I really don't know.....but back to the point of my post.....I will not be buying '15 unless I am convinced otherwise.....

First of all, thanks for all of your support over the years, it's much appreciated. There isn't any code that would deliberately cause either a winning or a losing streak, but it is something that can and does happen in real life and in the game. That it happens in the game is just a natural part of the simulation that occurs organically. I suppose in these instances if you notice either happening to you, it's about what you can do to ride a wave and keep a good run going and what to do to stop a rot or a bout of poor form getting out of control.

There are obviously many examples of good and bad form around the world, take Crystal Palace's survival last season, which was a pretty spectacular turnaround in fortunes for a club that was rock bottom of the table. You could argue that Newcastle United have been in bad form results wise for the best part of the calendar year stretching into last season and this one and Liverpool's 11 game unbeaten streak was extremely impressive. The game isn't programmed specifically to replicate this, but that they can occur as a natural outcome for the game is quite pleasing actually.

There will be a Gold Demo available around the time of release, so you can obviously give that a try and hopefully that will help you make up your mind whether you purchase the game or not.

Completely agree with drewgriffiths

Opposition teams were caught off guard at the start of the season as they didn't view you as a good side. Eventually though they caught onto that fact and you didn't do anything to compensate for it.

I once went on a very good run in the FA Cup with a lower league team because the Premier League teams I faced would often rest players against me and play some of their youth players, eventually the opposition teams caught on and beat me a couple of rounds later.

It's not the games fault you were too stubborn too change your tactics,

To be fair, you will be able to try the demo to see if you like FM15 anyway, and if you do not then there is no real pressure on you to buy it. You can download/make a database update for one of the older FMs that you enjoyed playing and stick with it. Whatever makes you enjoy playing.

Such 'second season syndrome' can be spotted and avoided. As pointed out, if you are a relegation candidate teams will play open against you because they expect to win. If you are actually a pretty decent team you will surprise them, and scoring will be easier because teams will play a very open game against you (think how you play against sides you expect to beat easily). Once teams work out you are not relegation fodder they should be pounding, they will play a much more measured game, and goals will become harder to come by because teams will be less open. You will have to change how you play - perhaps be less open yourself, or work on new ways to create chances and unlock defences - to continue to succeed. In a way, such changes are compliments to you, because it means you have done well enough to earn the respect of the opponents.

Thanks for the replies folks....I can see where you are coming from with reputation etc. However I do adjust my tactics as things progress...or regress in this situation. I watch the entire game everytime and soon pick up on what the opposition are doing and make adjustments to compensate....it has worked pretty well in the main. I just can't help though getting the impression there is more to it than that. I can understand Man Utd being able to 'up their game' and when they are at full strength they are better than me and I would expect them to do well....however would bottom of the table Burnley (in this case) be able to do that? even with their strongest team and best tactic they fall well short of my teams abillities....how then can it seem that they have 11 lionel messi's all of a sudden (a bit extreem but you get my point) and my 'superior' players look like a sunday league pub team...can't pass, can't shoot straight, forget to jump for headers etc?....I have tried every trick I have learnt about reading the opposition and adjusting to compensate etc...all to no avail :-(

Not really come accross this in previous versions. it does seem unique so far to '14 but if it is a 'feature' that continues into 15 then my interest will be low.

Just so you know, the game is still in Beta, so while there are a lot of negatives posts at the moment, that's how the game gets better. I'd wait till the full release before looking too much at the negative posts.

But yeah if they don't fix some of the big beta issues then yeah, hold on until the patch is out.

Just so you know, the game is still in Beta, so while there are a lot of negatives posts at the moment, that's how the game gets better. I'd wait till the full release before looking too much at the negative posts.

But yeah if they don't fix some of the big beta issues then yeah, hold on until the patch is out.

Although I don't have the game, from perusing the forum I'd say that the reaction has been a lot more positive compared with this time last year. That may just be me though.

EDIT: To be clear, your point is obviously valid, I was just commenting that there seems to be a bit less negativity in comparison with the FM14 beta from what I remember.

The thing I take away from threads of this nature, and there's been a fair few, is that there probably is a slight issue with the balancing of league campaigns. This is clearly related to the fact human managers do not play 'logically'. A recently promoted team IRL and therefore as AI would look to play very conservatively packing men behind the ball, since humans almost always play attacking in football manager this creates a variable that can cause a flurry of unexpectedly positive results when AI teams play you expecting the 'lower' side to sit back. Later this is compensated and the deficiencies of the tactic/ squad become apparent, I'm guessing the season as a whole would have been on par with the OP's expectations and it was really the spread of results that raises an eyebrow.

It's a problem I've never really faced to be honest, two things have held me back in my games this edition. My sides start the season all guns blazing, and every winter we drop points because the weather no longer suits short, possession-based play. Secondly, my teams of short, technically excellent players are bullied off the pitch by the likes of Real Madrid and we win less than 40% of headers, making it extremely difficult. But I'm a stubborn old fool, my short passing dwarves are not going anywhere and my master plan will not be altered. Bielsa makes sense, it's better to be true to oneself than successful :lol:

The thing I take away from threads of this nature, and there's been a fair few, is that there probably is a slight issue with the balancing of league campaigns. This is clearly related to the fact human managers do not play 'logically'. A recently promoted team IRL and therefore as AI would look to play very conservatively packing men behind the ball, since humans almost always play attacking in football manager this creates a variable that can cause a flurry of unexpectedly positive results when AI teams play you expecting the 'lower' side to sit back. Later this is compensated and the deficiencies of the tactic/ squad become apparent, I'm guessing the season as a whole would have been on par with the OP's expectations and it was really the spread of results that raises an eyebrow.

It's a problem I've never really faced to be honest, two things have held me back in my games this edition. My sides start the season all guns blazing, and every winter we drop points because the weather no longer suits short, possession-based play. Secondly, my teams of short, technically excellent players are bullied off the pitch by the likes of Real Madrid and we win less than 40% of headers, making it extremely difficult. But I'm a stubborn old fool, my short passing dwarves are not going anywhere and my master plan will not be altered. Bielsa makes sense, it's better to be true to oneself than successful :lol:

Completely agree and love this post.

Long may the short passing dwarves reign! :lol:

I can honestly say this happened to me on FM 14 with birmingham i got them promotted in the first season and got a new owner we started the season brilliantly beating a few of the bigger teams and racking up alot of good results and at the end of the season fell apart dropped from 1st with 12 points on man utd who were in 5 th and ended up 3 points above them with 3 games to go, one of wich was away to man utd it almost felt like it was written in the stars that i was screwed i checked man utds fixtures and of course it was cardiff,west ham and someone else not so great i can't remember.

So on comes the man utd fixture and of course they smash me 4-0 we didn't even look like we were in the game i was very angry at this point i was sure the game had somehow fixed it to make me lose but then man utd played before and they lost and i won and we had fourth on gd +1 and held it for the last two games and got champions league football.

morale to the story is keep the faith you might still do ok and if you dont turn it round on the plus side if you were expected 15th and you thought top 10 and you finish higher then 10th you out did your own expectations and the medias on hopefully the boards to so its still a great season and your team will surely only be better next year.

Completely agree and love this post.

Long may the short passing dwarves reign! :lol:

Thanks Cleaner (family name?) I've been playing current save for over 12 game years now and have a grand total of one trophy to show for it (plus a lower league championship, but I don't think that really counts) however, I can't remember ever enjoying a game so much even when winning everything going. Give me Bielsa over Mourinho and Ancelotti any day. Ah and Mancini, he's Real Madrid manager now and had the gall to criticise me for sticking to Spanish, youth academy players in the first XI. He can go rot in hell :lol:

Not really come accross this in previous versions. it does seem unique so far to '14 but if it is a 'feature' that continues into 15 then my interest will be low.

It's not really a "feature" as such. It's just that on this occassion, you didn't spot what was happening. There's absolutely nothing wrong with and none of us are perfect at this game, except maybe Cleon and wwfan. ;)

I finished FM14, playing only one save. I got to 2037 and I couldn't win the CL with the best team in the world, after losing in 2 finals and 1 semi. Cup competitions just aren't my thing. My team is consistent in the league though. Can't tell you why!

Anyway, what would have happened in your case, is that you had a good tactic. You did well, obviously. There was space to exploit. In the second half of the season, you would have had a reputation boost because of how well you were doing. Teams started too take you more seriously and being more defensive against you, being compact and waiting for the counter attack. Now it's a different game. There's less space to exploit. You have to create your own space with good movement. Maybe this wasn't happening for you?

I know it's not a real feature Hunt3r as such....but it does 'feature' in my enjoyment of the game. I do know where you are coming from, things did get more difficult after the xmas period, most teams gave me a harder time. But I recognised this and adjusted my set of tactics to compensate. Which worked well enough until the last few games on the run in where my players ability to do what they had been doing all year dissapeared. I was still creating plenty of chances but they were invariably missed or saved. At the other end I was still defending pretty well until one of the players went awol or simply 'forgot' to jump for the header when the little winger scores! lol. Don't get me wrong, I really don't have an issue with the game in general....but I feel there is 'something' or other not quite right with the scenario that I can't figure.

My players mindset is in good order too...they are all happy, the board love the atmosphere eminating from the dressing room, moral is high throughout....maybe the players are feeling the tension in some way as someone mentioned earlier? they are not being portrayed as being nervy or doubting themselves....they are not being complacent as far as I am aware (it does tell you usually). I could understand a little drop in form...tighter games etc but in my experience with this save it is a total collapse from my players and some 'super-human' well beyond their ability magic from the opponents. And just to add, not as a one off either...for all of my last 8 league games.

You're playing better than you should be, and your players are getting complacent. You need to hold team talks and get their morale up after you get into a losing streak.

Your players could also be getting tired after a long season. Look for ways to rest players for a match and then you should get them playing at the higher standard again.

Another thing to try is switching to one of your alternative tactics for a game, this will throw off the opposition, and if you we win the game you'll get a nice media response saying you're a tactical genius.

Teams can and do hit a slump, it's up to you get the best out of the team and talk to the team, rest players, raise morale, and alter tactics ever so slightly to throw off the opposition.

I know it's not a real feature Hunt3r as such....but it does 'feature' in my enjoyment of the game. I do know where you are coming from, things did get more difficult after the xmas period, most teams gave me a harder time. But I recognised this and adjusted my set of tactics to compensate. Which worked well enough until the last few games on the run in where my players ability to do what they had been doing all year dissapeared. I was still creating plenty of chances but they were invariably missed or saved. At the other end I was still defending pretty well until one of the players went awol or simply 'forgot' to jump for the header when the little winger scores! lol. Don't get me wrong, I really don't have an issue with the game in general....but I feel there is 'something' or other not quite right with the scenario that I can't figure.

My players mindset is in good order too...they are all happy, the board love the atmosphere eminating from the dressing room, moral is high throughout....maybe the players are feeling the tension in some way as someone mentioned earlier? they are not being portrayed as being nervy or doubting themselves....they are not being complacent as far as I am aware (it does tell you usually). I could understand a little drop in form...tighter games etc but in my experience with this save it is a total collapse from my players and some 'super-human' well beyond their ability magic from the opponents. And just to add, not as a one off either...for all of my last 8 league games.

Well, the Christmas period is a special time. Games on top of each other, forcing you to rotate more than you usually would, and don't forget the weather affecting the pitch condition.

The last few (I'm not sure exactly how many or what percentage) games of the season will have more pressure on the players than there usually is. It's crunch time. There's increased pressure to get points to stave off relegation, qualify for Europe or win the league. It might not be complacency that's affecting them, but it could be that they're buckling under the pressure. Nervous players can do strange things on a pitch!

Alls i'll say with regards to this is watch West Ham over the next few weeks now. New signings, beat Man City (Champions) and Liverpool (2nd place) at home already this season and flying. Why? Possibly complacency in the bigger sides, as West Ham were fairly unspectacular last season, other teams expect them to be the same this season, but they're not, and the better sides have paid for it. But as everyone said, their opponents now will start clocking onto this fact, and realistically West Ham won't be fourth by Christmas. So what has happened there to seem doesn't seem fixed or pre-meditated by the ME, just as everyone else says it just appears fairly realistic for the English game

The only thing that convinces me is the current game's predecessor. I've played the FM games for years, always bought the new version and ALWAYS enjoyed them. Only thing that will stop me playing is when I fall out of love with the game - whether that be because it's quality declines or my interest in general declines.

Archived