Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

Thanks for that! What i was looking for was a ball park as to when the previous years updates were released or do you think we will have to wait until the January transfer update. Not a sarcastic answer from a smart alec wand of a man whose probably sitting in his room tossing off over pikachu.......Tit!

SI won't give a date for patches, they will be released when ready. I'd rather that because if they gave a date, then they would either released an unfinished update, or the board would be flooded with moaning about the missed deadline.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This ME needs a lot of work guys :(

I'm surprised how much it has regressed. Why isn't it improving? Maybe a lack of competition in the manager game market and you're getting complacent. I don't know, it's a shame but it's a horrible ME.

Few things that need urgent work:

1. Goalkeeper mistakes - I've not been a victim but I have profited by at least 5 errors where the keeper kicks it straight to the striker to tap in by the halfway point in the season.

2. Goals from corners - Is ridiculous. Not just directly but after knock downs it is far too common. I have to set 'defensive corners' as my match focus constantly just to keep this down as much as possible.

3. Non existent wing play - Are there animations for players taking players on as it's so difficult to spot? I don't see intelligent wing play and overlapping full backs regardless of tactics.

4. Variation of goals - One of the most limited ME's I've seen with respect to this

5. Random results - I've seen Arsenal losing at home 4-0 to Swansea and 5-0 away at Stoke. It happens with other large teams far too much to the point I feel something is not balanced right. Not noticed it quite this bad in previous FM's.

6. No clubs bidding for players - Has been like this for a few years now. Why don't clubs show interest in my good players? I may not wanna sell but would be nice to have something to think about.

Sorry for the negativity but it's a complete regression with regards to the ME. I am yet to see a single improvement on last years.

And this is where everything falls down. Two fantastic contributions - first having the sense of entitlement that moans about how terrible it is that bugs aren't fixed, then admits that he won't ever do any kind of reporting on said bugs because he "can't be bothered". Would it be alright if SI took the same attitude? We were going to fix that ME bug, but meh, can't be bothered. I'm sure you'll understand. Then you compare the entire situation to Nazi Germany. Well done. Really, well done.

He is the end user not the developer of the game! He hasn't bought the game to help develop it for SI

So, in your last five games you've had goals from corners, own goals, angled goals, and near post goals. Quite varied in such a small sample. Of the 16 goals scored in that sample, four were scored from corners. Too many? No. Of the 16 goals scored in that sample, two were own goals. Too many? No.

I think the most telling thing in the games you've posted is that you've drawn two and lost the other three. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you wouldn't even have posted had that been five victories.

And finally, if you don't know 'how to obtain league stats', how exactly did you quantify these instances being too many? Too many compared to what exactly?

That's right. 14 games into season and no long shots, direct free kicks, one on ones or many open play goals. Since you seem to be the FM 14 guru could you post your goal stats from your save. I'm sure such being such an experienced player you would not be having any of these issues.

Really not enjoying this update. There are many pros, obviously, but I feel the cons outweigh them by a landslide.

For example:

My previous tactics which allowed me to go unbeaten and win the CL with Hibernian don't work anymore. Any tactic in which I attempt to play nice, quick, short passes don't work and my defenders seem to be easily beaten by over the top balls - if I wanted that to happen go back to fifa.

Other than the gameplay I find that I am getting a lot more injuries. I had 8 players injured at once, 6 of whom were 1st team regulars. They weren't even minor injuries. They were sports hernias, groin tears and even broken ankles.

Really struggling to find a working tactic that doesn't involve exploits because that is just no fun. Tactics also take ages to become fluid.

Team talks are a lot less effective.

Not trying to be a troll, this is just my recent experience. I'm really not enjoying playing this game at the moment which is sad because I'm resorting to playing GMOD.

Summary: Update sucks. No flowing football. Game is too hard now.

fm 14 lost great quality since the last update unfortunately.. -i dont get any feedback or issues at staffmeetings, its just empty every single time. -my tactics dont seem to get better, they are stuck as they are now, they cant be trained apparently.. -when i am at my team tactics menu, its every time ordered on favorite positions, even when i changed it.

i can't really see any improvements since the last update, it feels more like a downgrade. i really hope these issues will disappear in the next update

I am playing a short quick passing style game and won the Premier League back to back, I do not see any problem on that front.

The problem I have is although I've won the league with the lowest average wage in the league the year before and won the treble with Community Shield, Capitol One Cup and the Premier League this year, the board refused to extend my contract saying that I haven't done enough to earn a contract, and didn't extend my contract when it ran out. They also haven't let me go and for some reason I'm stuck with no contract. Not sure if it's mentioned before but I wanted it to throw it out there.

UUhjYQL.jpg

I am playing a short quick passing style game and won the Premier League back to back, I do not see any problem on that front.

The problem I have is although I've won the league with the lowest average wage in the league and won the treble with Community Shield, Capitol One Cup and the Premier League, the board refused to extend my contract saying that I haven't done enough to earn a contract, and didn't extend my contract when it ran out. They also haven't let me go and for some reason I'm stuck with no contract. Not sure if it's mentioned before but I wanted it to throw it out there.

UUhjYQL.jpg

Hope it's not too much to ask but could you show me your tactic? Mine isn't working at all.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

My previous tactics which allowed me to go unbeaten and win the CL with Hibernian don't work anymore.

Really struggling to find a working tactic that doesn't involve exploits because that is just no fun.

Surely if you were able to manage the above with Hibernian, you HAD a working tactic that involved exploits. In fact, if it doesn't work anymore, that'll be exactly why.

Hope it's not too much to ask but could you show me your tactic? Mine isn't working at all.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Rather than asking for a tactic you would be better posting yours up in the tactics forum and asking for advice.

People will reply and help you to understand why your tactic isn't working and what you can do to improve it. Its not about finding a one size fits all tactic its about helping you to understand tactics so you can build & create your own which work consistently.

The problem I have is although I've won the league with the lowest average wage in the league the year before and won the treble with Community Shield, Capitol One Cup and the Premier League this year, the board refused to extend my contract saying that I haven't done enough to earn a contract, and didn't extend my contract when it ran out. They also haven't let me go and for some reason I'm stuck with no contract. Not sure if it's mentioned before but I wanted it to throw it out there.

Sorry mate, you're a victim of the the unemployment bug. You probably started out with a past reputation below 'international', meaning the board will not extend your contract regardless of you perform and that if you get sacked or resign you'll not be getting another job.

I can't believe there isn't a hot fix for this and that it looks like we'll have to wait for the next patch for a resolution. The game is unplayable now.

Sorry mate, you're a victim of the the unemployment bug. You probably started out with a past reputation below 'international', meaning the board will not extend your contract regardless of you perform and that if you get sacked or resign you'll not be getting another job.

I can't believe there isn't a hot fix for this and that it looks like we'll have to wait for the next patch for a resolution. The game is unplayable now.

For there to be a hotfix, it needs to be fixed first. As Ben Kenny said on the relevant thread they are working on it. Though I dont think this is related. In fact Rippou, I'd create a separate thread in the bugs section

The conversation about "working tactics" here says it all IMO. You have to adapt your tactics in FM14. Doing the same match after match for the whole 90 mins won't work.

Btw, it doesn't take a massive amount of adaption. I currently have two tactics, a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3 and just make minor adaptions in different situations - but minor adaptions is the big thing sometimes.

I have a regional reputation, and I've just been offered and accepted a new 2-year contract.

Well that's just brilliant for you. There's a 68 post thread in the bugs forum with complaints about it.

Themadsheep- they most definitely are connected. I suffer from both any time I start with a reputation below international. If I start with an international rep they are both resolved, and I doubt that this is a coincidence.

Well that's just brilliant for you. There's a 68 post thread in the bugs forum with complaints about it.

Themadsheep- they most definitely are connected. I suffer from both any time I start with a reputation below international. If I start with an international rep they are both resolved, and I doubt that this is a coincidence.

Considering some people are getting renewals and some are not, its jumping the guns to assume they are. Which is exactly why he should make a new thread. Any Dev online now would ask they do the same, so they can actually be sure.

It didn't involve exploits though as far as I know. I dominated every game and had tons of CCCs and clean sheets. I got a hold of some good regens who are now useless and can't tackle or score respectively. My backup tactic which I used for Celtic away and CL games which involved parking the bus and punting it up worked a treat but now it leaks goals all over.

Rather than asking for a tactic you would be better posting yours up in the tactics forum and asking for advice.

People will reply and help you to understand why your tactic isn't working and what you can do to improve it. Its not about finding a one size fits all tactic its about helping you to understand tactics so you can build & create your own which work consistently.

I just wanted to see what was different to mine to see what people are doing differently - but thanks, I will check out the tactics forum.

Considering some people are getting renewals and some are not, its jumping the guns to assume they are. Which is exactly why he should make a new thread. Any Dev online now would ask they do the same, so they can actually be sure.

Given that choosing an international rep solves both problems on my game, and given that both problems involve the offering of contracts to a manager, I do not consider my stance to be jumping the gun. That might be the case, but I'd honestly be shocked if both bugs do not involve the manager reputation.

Given that choosing an international rep solves both problems on my game, and given that both problems involve the offering of contracts to a manager, I do not consider my stance to be jumping the gun. That might be the case, but I'd honestly be shocked if both bugs do not involve the manager reputation.

They could involve rep, they might not actually be the same issue. Hence the upload. You can never have too much information, especially when it doesn't quite follow the pattern

The conversation about "working tactics" here says it all IMO. You have to adapt your tactics in FM14. Doing the same match after match for the whole 90 mins won't work.

Btw, it doesn't take a massive amount of adaption. I currently have two tactics, a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3 and just make minor adaptions in different situations - but minor adaptions is the big thing sometimes.

Adapting your tactics is a requirement for any update of the game ever. There is no version of the game which punishes logical tactics which suit the match situation and players at your disposal.

However, success doesn't necessarily mean you have to enjoy what you're seeing. Since installing the update I've been promoted into League One with Havant & Waterlooville, started a new save with Woking and have them 5th after 16 games. During those 16 games, I've uploaded PKMs for something like 15 incidents which don't seem right. I'm fairly consistently seeing bizarre behaviour from both my and the AI's players, and reading through this thread and the bugs forum it seems I'm far from alone in this regard.

14.2 has fixed defensive lines for me and for that I am eternally grateful. But don't fall into the trap of just seeing the "I was winning everything and now my tactics don't work" posts in this thread, even though there are a few.

In my save, I'm Man Utd manager and went for Professional - a la the David Moyes challenge.

First season I did win the Prem, got to ECC final, lost on pens to Real Madrid.

2nd season I came a rubbish 4th, though did get to ECC final - got stuffed 3-0 by Juve.

No success in domestic cups whatsoever.

Nonetheless, they've indulged me with a contract until 2020.

Posting this as this is a feedback thread and I've not experienced the problem of not getting a contract - though I'd add it does take a couple of asks to make sure you request in the right way.

Adapting your tactics is a requirement for any update of the game ever. There is no version of the game which punishes logical tactics which suit the match situation and players at your disposal.

However, success doesn't necessarily mean you have to enjoy what you're seeing. Since installing the update I've been promoted into League One with Havant & Waterlooville, started a new save with Woking and have them 5th after 16 games. During those 16 games, I've uploaded PKMs for something like 15 incidents which don't seem right. I'm fairly consistently seeing bizarre behaviour from both my and the AI's players, and reading through this thread and the bugs forum it seems I'm far from alone in this regard.

14.2 has fixed defensive lines for me and for that I am eternally grateful. But don't fall into the trap of just seeing the "I was winning everything and now my tactics don't work" posts in this thread, even though there are a few.

I don't disagree with you :) . I was posting re. that though as I think there are a lot of them.

I've seen bizarre stuff esp. re. corners and goalmouth situations which are pretty comical i.e. players baning into all and sundry, resulting in deflected goals. I'm sure SI are aware of these tbh.

But I really do also think a lot of this is animation / ME respresentation issues. I do think right now the ME is producing fair results and a lot of good visual football as well.

I really don't get the whole feedback about strikers not scoring, given that a couple of hours ago I watched my 19 yr old F9 smash in 4 goals - all from open play.

I think even 14.2 is way better than the then finished "13.3" and I'm sure 14.? will be even better - what I hope is that PaulC and his team will go on from 14.3 to 14.? and then just use this for FM15. I think we could all do with some stability / a rest :) - develop other things in FM15 that will make us want to buy it.

In my save, I'm Man Utd manager and went for Professional - a la the David Moyes challenge.

First season I did win the Prem, got to ECC final, lost on pens to Real Madrid.

2nd season I came a rubbish 4th, though did get to ECC final - got stuffed 3-0 by Juve.

No success in domestic cups whatsoever.

Nonetheless, they've indulged me with a contract until 2020.

Posting this as this is a feedback thread and I've not experienced the problem of not getting a contract - though I'd add it does take a couple of asks to make sure you request in the right way.

If you start off with a Sunday league rep are you also forever unemployed? If so, then it seems like I've been unfortunate enough to suffer both these game breaking bugs, FML

If you can get a job then all the more evidence that they are linked

If you start off with a Sunday league rep are you also forever unemployed? If so, then it seems like I've been unfortunate enough to suffer both these game breaking bugs, FML

If you can get a job then all the more evidence that they are linked

I'm not in a position to disagree / agree with that. My post was just to counter the points I've already seen that argued that unless you had rep. as international footballer you had no chance of contract renewal. My case didn't show that, despite a pathetic 2nd Prem season.

In varying forms you might want to ask that to Avram Grant and Roberto Di Matteo.

There are always exceptions to the rule, like Del Bosque getting sacked after winning La Liga and the CL in the previous two seasons at Real due to internal issues. But really it's a game and if you are successful, you should be rewarded. Getting a contract extension after a title and two CL final appearances doesn't prove or disprove anything.

The starting world rep for an international manager is 5,000, the starting rep for any past experience below that on my bugged game is 1!

In saying these issues are not linked, you are essentially saying that the renewal of a contract does not take the rep into account, a notion I find to be inconceivable. I could be wrong, but I would genuinely be shocked.

OK so just for the record I tried a little experiment.

I resigned as Man Utd manager (obviously saved the game under a different filename) and became unemployed.

I applied for QPR job and was offered it - I rejected it to continue the experiment.

I then applied for the Sunderland job and again, after interview, was offered it.

100% record... if only that were true in my real life career...

OK so just for the record I tried a little experiment.

I resigned as Man Utd manager (obviously saved the game under a different filename) and became unemployed.

I applied for QPR job and was offered it - I rejected it to continue the experiment.

I then applied for the Sunderland job and again, after interview, was offered it.

100% record... if only that were true in my real life career...

What point are you trying to prove?

It's an acknowledged bug which plenty of users are experiencing. You winning things with Man United, then resigning and being offered lower reputation jobs doesn't seem that relevant to starting a game unemployed with a low reputation and not being able to get a job.

Half the reason this thread turns to crap on every update is because people insist on trying to disprove what others are experiencing.

Any luck with foreign jobs, given I believe the problem to be the 'world rep' and I am assuming your nationality is English?

The fella above has a Turkish nationality and is managing an English side.

I can't say I've just ended that experiment now.

I had got the impression this was a generic problem so I just wanted to slay that particular demon, nothing more. Might be worth some further tests by others to see if this is a problem.

What point are you trying to prove?

It's an acknowledged bug which plenty of users are experiencing. You winning things with Man United, then resigning and being offered lower reputation jobs doesn't seem that relevant to starting a game unemployed with a low reputation and not being able to get a job.

Half the reason this thread turns to crap on every update is because people insist on trying to disprove what others are experiencing.

I'm really, genuinely not trying to prove anything :) .

This is a feedback thread and a lot of feedback here is making arguments one way. All I'm doing is just putting some evidence the other way. SI can work things out themselves after this - but they need to hear feedback both positive and negative.

I've already seen feedback earlier in this thread saying even after success it was impossible to get a job unless you were an international manager - it took me 2 mins to find that in my save game that wasn't the case. If I misunderstood or misread that feedback then my bad - again the bods at SI will work it out.

Your comment is interesting tho.

I don't agree. SI need feedback and that by nature might sometimes contradict.

People just need to provide feedback with as much detail as possible - whatever that is, without looking at the feedback from others. Let SI do the rest because they'll aggregate and see the big picture.

I don't care about any Match Engine bugs. Please just fix this "forever unemployed" bug. This is a football manager game, what is the point of playing if you can't actually get a manager job :(

You can get a manager's job. Any one you want. You don't HAVE to start the game unemployed.

The bigger issue around this bug is when players get sacked or resign, as it almost forces you to start a brand new save. I can imagine that being annoying if you're many years into the game.

You can get a manager's job. Any one you want. You don't HAVE to start the game unemployed.

The bigger issue around this bug is when players get sacked or resign, as it almost forces you to start a brand new save. I can imagine that being annoying if you're many years into the game.

Serious question - I'm wondering how people approach interviews?

If you're applying for a job you have to be reasonable :) .

I'm really, genuinely not trying to prove anything :) .

This is a feedback thread and a lot of feedback here is making arguments one way. All I'm doing is just putting some evidence the other way. SI can work things out themselves after this - but they need to hear feedback both positive and negative.

I've already seen feedback earlier in this thread saying even after success it was impossible to get a job unless you were an international manager - it took me 2 mins to find that in my save game that wasn't the case. If I misunderstood or misread that feedback then my bad - again the bods at SI will work it out.

Your comment is interesting tho.

I don't agree. SI need feedback and that by nature might sometimes contradict.

People just need to provide feedback with as much detail as possible - whatever that is, without looking at the feedback from others. Let SI do the rest because they'll aggregate and see the big picture.

OK here's some feedback, the same as quite a lot of people on this thread.

Passing has disintegrated and simple passes are just not happening

Strikers with high ratings for scoring are just not scoring, either 1 on 1's or simple straight forward goals, they then lose confidence and go to pot.

Averaging 15+ corners per game is not realistic

Most goals scored by my team either come from a corner or a free kick, resulting in the top scorers in the club are my central defenders.

AI team never score from corners, always from a break away or a good passing move, always score with 1st attempt, my team 8 on target 2 goals, AI 2 on target 2 goals, very regular and annoying as we have at least 8 CCC and 15 attempts.

Scouts report back saying players are not worth buying, then when you look at players page, he is seen as either quality or important player??

Remember out of all the thousands playing they don't all come on here to complain, but the ones that are are genuinely getting annoyed since the last update, myself included. I thought I could work round the faults in the ME but there are too many glaring problems which is making this game, like FM13 a turkey of a game. I've played for many years and thought FM12 was almost spot on, that ME should been left alone and the rest of the game play developed but no! SI have tinkered too much to the point they've spoilt a very good game, after last years shambles, they still use us as guinea pigs and we still provide the feedback but it's more and more negative than ever.

Serious question - I'm wondering how people approach interviews?

If you're applying for a job you have to be reasonable :) .

Believe me, I have tried every possible way of landing a job in the interviews. Every Swedish 4th division side rejects my application even if I agree to cut wage and transfer budgets to minimum and promise them a promotion when all they want is avoiding relegation.

Believe me, I have tried every possible way of landing a job in the interviews. Every Swedish 4th division side rejects my application even if I agree to cut wage and transfer budgets to minimum and promise them a promotion when all they want is avoiding relegation.

Must be your tactics

/generic clueless fan boy bot reply

If I owned a club that was barely likely to stay up and some fancy dan manager offered me promotion with a reduced budget, they wouldn't even get past the letter of application stage.

I'd suggest credibility in job applications.

If I owned a club that was barely likely to stay up and some fancy dan manager offered me promotion with a reduced budget, they wouldn't even get past the letter of application stage.

I'd suggest credibility in job applications.

While I applaud your attempts to shrug off this massive bug with replies like that, I'd like to point out that I've attended dozens of interviews and tried basically every method possible, being reasonable, unreasonable, agreeing to their visions, their budgets, their proposed season goals, everything. It just does not work. Because it's bugged. Not because of some silly interview AI.

While I applaud your attempts to shrug off this massive bug with replies like that, I'd like to point out that I've attended dozens of interviews and tried basically every method possible, being reasonable, unreasonable, agreeing to their visions, their budgets, their proposed season goals, everything. It just does not work. Because it's bugged. Not because of some silly interview AI.

All in the same game or different games?

I don't care about any Match Engine bugs. Please just fix this "forever unemployed" bug. This is a football manager game, what is the point of playing if you can't actually get a manager job :(

This is how I feel right now, I couldn't care less about the Match Engine bugs, I'd just like to be able to play the game properly. If this bug isn't the number one priority, it really should be. Completely game breaking.

All in the same game or different games?

This discussion is already being done in the bugs forum, but I've ran several test games. Starting unemployed with Sunday League, Automatic and Semi-Professional makes it very unlikely to get a job for 1-2 years. Nationality also seems to affect it.

Once I started with Whitehawk in Skrill South and after I left the club after one season, I wasn't able to get any job offers.

To have a continuous career game, you either have to stay at one club forever (and hope not to run into the contract extension bug) or have a very large reputation.

Strikers with high ratings for scoring are just not scoring, either 1 on 1's or simple straight forward goals, they then lose confidence and go to pot.

What exactly does 'going to pot' entail if you tell us they never score anyway?

Averaging 15+ corners per game is not realistic

I will lay my last penny that you don't get over 15 corners in every game.

Most goals scored by my team either come from a corner or a free kick, resulting in the top scorers in the club are my central defenders.

At the very most, your set piece to goal ratio will be close to 40%. Around 10% higher than real life, so perhaps too high. That said, I'd actually be surprised if it's as high as that. If you can show stats to back this one up, I will stand corrected.

AI team never score from corners, always from a break away or a good passing move, always score with 1st attempt, my team 8 on target 2 goals, AI 2 on target 2 goals, very regular and annoying as we have at least 8 CCC and 15 attempts.

As has been pointed out a gazillion times, the AI uses the same match engine, and has no advantage over the human player. If the computer can score with a good passing move, so can you. In fact, if you're seeing the opposition regularly score in this fashion, then that actually proves how good shape the match engine actually is. That you can't get your team doing the same is wholly down to you. Sorry, but that is an undeniable fact.

Scouts report back saying players are not worth buying, then when you look at players page, he is seen as either quality or important player??

The only thing I agree with you on. I'm not sure why that's started happening.

No offence here, but for SI to take your match engine complaint seriously, you really need to show evidence. However, having admitted that the AI are scoring good goals and playing good football, you've kinda shot yourself in the foot there.

This discussion is already being done in the bugs forum, but I've ran several test games. Starting unemployed with Sunday League, Automatic and Semi-Professional makes it very unlikely to get a job for 1-2 years. Nationality also seems to affect it.

Once I started with Whitehawk in Skrill South and after I left the club after one season, I wasn't able to get any job offers.

To have a continuous career game, you either have to stay at one club forever (and hope not to run into the contract extension bug) or have a very large reputation.

Just curious. If you were the chair of a Skrill North / South club, someone like Stockport, or below e.g. FC United, Blyth Spartans with their very proud cup histiry, would you hire a Sunday League or Semi-Pro Manager when there are plenty of senior professionals in the game wanting to manage.

I wouldn't if I could help it, unless they could show another route i.e. loads of coaching qualifications and experience.

Just curious. If you were the chair of a Skrill North / South club, someone like Stockport, or below e.g. FC United, Blyth Spartans with their very proud cup histiry, would you hire a Sunday League or Semi-Pro Manager when there are plenty of senior professionals in the game wanting to manage.

I wouldn't if I could help it, unless they could show another route i.e. loads of coaching qualifications and experience.

If that IS the route they've gone down, then it would be utterly impossible to start the game as unemployed with a Sunday League rep and EVER get a job. It might be more realistic in that IRL, you're right, no chairman would offer a job to such a person, but given that option is available at the start of the game, there has to be openings that the player can apply for with some degree of likelihood of success.

That is true. But this is a game. If they wanted to make it more akin to IRL, they could just remove the Sunday League/Semi-Pro option.

But then again, there are always exceptions in real life too. AVB was basically a manager without any playing experience, but a very qualified scout/coach.

Archived