To Catenaccio and BEYOND!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The timing is good. Just landed the dream Gateshead job after a couple of seasons of abject failure in Wales and Scotland. The board are keen on the direct, defensive approach so let's see if they have the stomach for some truly horrific football. I don't have a sweeper unfortunately, and we're in the middle of a season, so I'll have to concoct something else for the time being. But this is a bookmark.

It's getting ridiculous - 9/10 highlights are of my team with possession, despite averaging around 40% possession.

Why? Because all the opposition can do is pass the ball back and forth outside my box and then pass diagonally towards the corner where someone will take a quick shot in the hope it somehow goes in :cool:

ackter will u post a complete tactic so we can download it

He already has the tactic posted in full with the player instructions on the page, all you really need to do is just look at the pictures and copy them, takes literally five minutes.

Anyway, I don't think I'd have the stomach to play such negative football like this, although I do hate conceding even one goal in a game, I love attacking football too much :( Great thread though Ackter, there's so many great threads out for FM 14 as it is but this is def one of the best.

If someone downloads this and tries to play it, it will fail and fail horribly.

The players are incredibly important and shaping how they behave is essential. To build your own catenaccio, you'll need to start from scratch like I did and go with the flow.

I'm constantly tweaking it match to match at the moment. The defensive side is still pretty much nailed on, but need to curb the attacking of the right back (he's drifting forward a lot to support the right winger - probably because there's no one else in there with the halfback dropping deeper.).

I've also been trying to improve the quality of chances the team creates whenever we, for some bizarre reason, actually start controlling the opposition (there's times where the AI are trying to outdefence me, and my better players are trying to make something happen in those situations).

I'm constantly tweaking it match to match at the moment. The defensive side is still pretty much nailed on, but need to curb the attacking of the right back (he's drifting forward a lot to support the right winger - probably because there's no one else in there with the halfback dropping deeper.).

I've also been trying to improve the quality of chances the team creates whenever we, for some bizarre reason, actually start controlling the opposition (there's times where the AI are trying to outdefence me, and my better players are trying to make something happen in those situations).

What happens in those circumstances? 11 players on each half doing a huddle? :lol:

It's hard to counter people who don't attack tbf :D

Basically they couldn't deal with the engarche, who had the game of his life.

Sigi on the left absolutely tore them apart as well. Whenever they did attack, we punished them.

Basically it was just a load of passing around in midfield, dull as hell, but whenever they ventured that little bit further forward it would be tackle > pass > cross or tackle > pass > shot. They were leaving plenty of space when they were attacking, they just weren't attacking much.

Ha, what happens to you lot away from home, can't pull off a win away from SJP :p

I'm hoping it's because I played weaker teams against Celtic, Stoke and Swansea. An away draw with Chelsea and Man U is still pretty good. Pastore run me absolutely ragged at Old Trafford, was lucky to come away from there with the draw.

With Gylfi playing, yes. He just runs the match, popping up everywhere with shots.

My other options there are nowhere near as effective. I'm currently retraining an AM as WBL to take over as Gylfi's in his 30s now.

They've changed formation - they no longer have Eden Hazard causing trouble for me.

Man Utd have Pastore doing it now which is why they're the ones bogeying me.

Chelsea have also just been bought out, with the new Romanian chairman threatening to replace Mourinho with Dan Petrescu, so here's hoping :thup:

Archived