Do you think the transfer fees and contract demands need toning down?

Tried to sign a player rated at £40k the other night. They wanted £8.5m for him. I moved on pretty quick. But like a very low team is going to reject an offer of a mill (2m max) for a player rated at that. In real life they'd probably be desperate for the money. That's my only problem with transfers. I've made some quite good ones, there's just the odd really ridiculous scenario like this one that annoy me. I can get over that though really.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tried to sign a player rated at £40k the other night. They wanted £8.5m for him. I moved on pretty quick. But like a very low team is going to reject an offer of a mill (2m max) for a player rated at that. In real life they'd probably be desperate for the money. That's my only problem with transfers. I've made some quite good ones, there's just the odd really ridiculous scenario like this one that annoy me. I can get over that though really.

player value is in some cases just cosmetic so 40k is not the value at which the club rates the player!

Yes players' value is quite weird sometimes but IMO the huge problem is the amount of money some players ask to renew their contract, sometimes 3-4-5 times their actual salary. :eek:

This bug leads to 3 possible consequences,

1) quit playing and wait for the patch

2) go bankrupt

3) sell the player

Each of these scenarios is scaring, an ad hoc patch is needed urgently, thanks :(

I mainly play FM nowadays for player development, this is where I get the most satisfaction out of the game. However, the current wage demands ruin this aspect of the game for me.

Every single youth player wants between 7.5k and 10k (this is reasonable compared to what some of them ask for, I've had one guy ask for 80k)! But, hey, it's an investment, I would honestly pay them that sort of wage if I felt that they were going to be good enough to warrant it in a season or two.

The real problem though, is that all of the newgens ask for their salary to be bumped up to 30k after 10 games, and this clause is non negotiable! Even if you offer 40k appearance and goal bonuses they will still say no and put that clause back into the contract. This means that you can't develop them, I often bring promising players on as subs, but this becomes impossible when you know that they'll be on a massive salary after a few games.

These demands are ridiculous, these guys have never even played a competitive game! The worst thing however, is when they go to AI teams for way, way less :( One example, I wanted to sign a german regen but he wanted 9k a week and the usual 30k after 10 games, I say no, and then a week later he goes to Leverkusen for peanuts basically! Ok, you could say that he's a young German kid and he wanted to stay in Germany, which is understandable, however the french regens ask for equally ridiculous wages from me so it just makes no sense (I'm PSG).

I really hope that this can be fixed soon.

I mainly play FM nowadays for player development, this is where I get the most satisfaction out of the game. However, the current wage demands ruin this aspect of the game for me.

Every single youth player wants between 7.5k and 10k (this is reasonable compared to what some of them ask for, I've had one guy ask for 80k)! But, hey, it's an investment, I would honestly pay them that sort of wage if I felt that they were going to be good enough to warrant it in a season or two.

The real problem though, is that all of the newgens ask for their salary to be bumped up to 30k after 10 games, and this clause is non negotiable! Even if you offer 40k appearance and goal bonuses they will still say no and put that clause back into the contract. This means that you can't develop them, I often bring promising players on as subs, but this becomes impossible when you know that they'll be on a massive salary after a few games.

These demands are ridiculous, these guys have never even played a competitive game! The worst thing however, is when they go to AI teams for way, way less :( One example, I wanted to sign a german regen but he wanted 9k a week and the usual 30k after 10 games, I say no, and then a week later he goes to Leverkusen for peanuts basically! Ok, you could say that he's a young German kid and he wanted to stay in Germany, which is understandable, however the french regens ask for equally ridiculous wages from me so it just makes no sense (I'm PSG).

I really hope that this can be fixed soon.

This is my main issue with contracts, not only are the demands way too high but agent's don't negotiate.

If a player asks for £60k a week an you offer £50k a week, he puts it back at £60k, if you offer £52 + more appearance fee, he'll put it back at £60k with the extra appearance fee! If you go non-negotiable they will break off negotiations. Two weeks later he'll sign for a worse AI team on £40k a week!

Yeah the lack of actual negotiation bugs me a lot too, though I think that may be more difficult to fix for the upcoming patch than the wage demands and wage rise after 30 appearances issue. Hope the patch is out soon though, seems a fair few people are waiting for it before than can start/continue a save

One big fix would be to stop making contract negotiations and all or nothing thing in the moment. Realistically, negotiations are usually a drawn out process.

Rather than the agent walking away when you don't meet the demands, the agent should say, "We don't believe your offer meets our expectations/valuation and will be exploring other options. However, we will keep your offer in mind as things go forward." Two weeks later, when no one else has matched your offer, the agent comes back and asks if the offer is still available. Then you have a second chance at negotiations, knowing that you can probably get the player at a little less than your initial offer. Variations on this should happen, especially with free agents/bosman players who are in communication with several clubs.

As it is now, contract negotiations breaking down effectively end all communications, which is not realistic.

i have stopped playing till new patch this giving 15year olds 20k 40k's a week are game breaker if they sign for 40k a week at 15 yrs time there 17 or 18 they will want about 60 or 70k time there early 20's they will about 100k...you dont mind giving 20 or 40k for 17 or 18yr old if they have massive potential.....hope patch is out sooon

Downloading the patch now, hopefully the wages are fixed :)

I just see there is a new patch, great !

- Player wage fixes.

- Max wage limit being prohibitive fix.

- Toned down the wage demands of some players

- Fixed youngsters asking for excessive 'Wage After Reaching Club Career League Games' clauses

I hope these four fixes is what we are looking for, any confirmation ?

• SI Staff
I just see there is a new patch, great !

- Player wage fixes.

- Max wage limit being prohibitive fix.

- Toned down the wage demands of some players

- Fixed youngsters asking for excessive 'Wage After Reaching Club Career League Games' clauses

I hope these four fixes is what we are looking for, any confirmation ?

The changes mentioned should help to rectify some of the issues mentioned in this thread.

Contract negotiation seems to have improved too :) I managed to decrease a newgen's wage demands by 40%, and also decreased the yearly wage rise, by adding an increased appearance bonus, this would never have been accepted in the last patch :)

Just seen something very odd with the latest patch. Transfer offer accepted for a young player. As usual, I refuse to pay the wage increase after 10 games clause.

Then get a news item saying the player has just sacked his agent following talks breaking down.

I think great, i'm in here and agree the transfer fee again.

Player still has exactly the same demands as last time and talks break down again.

Agents and contract negotiations are still a massive headache. All my players want huge salary increases but whatever, what irks me the most is that I tried to sign someone who wants 91k p/w in wages, I offered 80k with added bonus. He refused. 85k, he refused. 90k, he refused.

I finally locked in 90k p/w, he wants an increase of 1mm in loyalty bonus. I close the game in pure frustration.

Really???? 1mm increase in loyalty bonus if I want to pay you 90k p/w as opposed to 91k p/w???? You lose out 52k a year, and 260k over a 5 year contract. What is this madness?

Been playing with a friend and we been saying that price and contract are unbelievable!

I mean a player that is paid 5k in a club want 70 - 100k when I buy him with chelsea? More then ten times his salary! And a lot of the time players want triple or four times what they gain...

And transfert fees, a lot of the time we have to pay quadruple of the price of a player but when we sell our players we are lucky if we can sell him the double of his value...

Had a 'negotiation' if you can call it that with one of my players.

I bought him (Fernando) at the start of my game, he was given a £25k a week contract for 4 years. 2 years later I get the usual coach message come up about him wanting improved terms. So he's a first teamer, done ok for me (average rating hovering around 7 for a DMC) still only 23, two years left so I say he'll get a an offer.

Enter negotiations.

He wants a £79k a week basic salary. :eek:

He wants £25k a week appearance fee :eek:

So basically he wants me to quadruple his wages. Now the club has improved in the two years, we are now in the Champions League, we won the FA cup. The player has been heavily involved in this and he has been recognised by Brazil and has 2 caps. So his reputation and value have increased. But four times! He essentially wants £100k a week, when none of my other players are on close that.

I try to negotiate down but he doesn't budge, the agent just demands the same terms each time.

So he gets sold to Man City for £16 million on £69k a week with half the appearance fee he was asking form me. :rolleyes:

One thing I did notice though in negotiations with Chris Smalling is if you 'lock' a clause as non-negotiable the agent's seem to give more leeway. So I think smalling was aksing for another £20k + appearance fee, I moved it down to £9k and locked it, plus a lower weekly wage and they accepted. This seems to work better than the 'take it or leave it' offers, that they always wlak away from.

As I posted in another thread the contract renewal wage demands have been definitely toned down by the latest patch, anyway they still seem to be too high. I had to sell my gem striker cause I couldn't afford to satisfy his 60% wage increase demands and I guess that few others will follow the same " fate ".

I think that a further toning down in this section is demanded.

Thanks

Really genuinely hate contract renewals in this game. They are not negotiations. Young players you are lucky if you get yearly increase down by 5%. Seniors if you can get £5k a week off their contract. Already had to sell the bulk of my team because I cannot justify literally doubling or tripling seven players wages and bit bullet to keep two despite misgivings. Removing the large weight of a release clause has made the situation even more farcical. Not least because many of my players who wouldn't look south of £100k with me agree contracts lower than their previous ones at new clubs.

I can imagine this would be a particular embuggerance further down the ladder, this rate of contract increase is unsustainable. Do contracts never just get a few years added on to them, like on older FMs was possible? Would also love some form of actual negotiation, or the whole agent module removed.

Can't stand playing FM with such huge demands on wages, feels farcical. Fantastic game aside from that, but really really grates.

Oh, transfer fees seem fine as well :) helps to tap players up a bit though- only instant I've found a bit odd is relegated Derby refusing anything less than £20m for a want-away Will Hughes, but even that is fairly realistic considering his well-known potential.

I find it fairly easy lower down the leagues as I do not like to have players on more than a 2 year deal & I also try to avoid negotiating any new deal until the current one gets into the final 6-8 months.

What sort of experiences are people having outside of the Premier league & other Elite clubs in Europe? Could the new TV deal be having an impact on player demands when holding contract talks with a Premier league side?

Comparing the FM11 database to the FM13 database I've spotted a fair number of players in England who have doubled or tripled their wages without moving clubs, so the current situation might be partly due to the rule that as clubs get more money coming in the players will expect more money heading their way.

What sort of experiences are people having outside of the Premier league & other Elite clubs in Europe?

Currently at Solihull Moors I'm actually finding it decent going. The key first teamers seem happy with a high-ish wage (200-300 pounds a week), the back-up's are generally happy with half of that. New players don't seem to be really difficult to find either which is refreshing, with a few decent players happy to sign for sub 50 pounds a week or on a non-contract basis with an appearance/goal fee attached.

I've played higher up the leagues and definitely the problem more pronounced, especially with agents complicating things. It seems that instead of actually negotiating they actually seem less prepared to budge than if the player were representing himself, the whole agent/negotiation area needs a good look at for FM14 in my opinion.

I have found that when the talk about a new contract comes up.

The answer about them having lots of time left on their contract seems to work most times.

It is annoying though after every rejected bid they want improved terms, even if they had a new deal a few months ago and agent's still don't really negotiate.

It is annoying though after every rejected bid they want improved terms, even if they had a new deal a few months ago and agent's still don't really negotiate.

That's because the player's agent "lost" the agent fee for the proposed transfer and is trying to get it through your new contract offer :D

Since the new patch the demands feel i little more balanced although there is still the odd case here and there. The whole process though needs rethinking, comon, no contract negociation goes like that, "hey boss I want a raise" "well ok then" "meet my ridiculous demands or else" "but your asking too much" "I'M STARTING TO GET FRUSTRATED WITH THESE NEGOTIATIONS BOSS" LOL wish I could do that irl :D

That's because the player's agent "lost" the agent fee for the proposed transfer and is trying to get it through your new contract offer :D

Since the new patch the demands feel i little more balanced although there is still the odd case here and there. The whole process though needs rethinking, comon, no contract negociation goes like that, "hey boss I want a raise" "well ok then" "meet my ridiculous demands or else" "but your asking too much" "I'M STARTING TO GET FRUSTRATED WITH THESE NEGOTIATIONS BOSS" LOL wish I could do that irl :D

Yes, above all when they demand 100 and then they sign for another club for 60. :eek:

One thing I would like is when the player says he wants a new contract and you reply that he'll get an offer within the month.

Later when you have been in negotiations but the agent is being ridiculous with the demands so you don't reach a deal, I'd like to be able to tell the player, I offered you a new deal but your demands were over the top. In the manager promise it says "offer a new deal in month" not actually give them a new contract.

Any changes involving transfer & contract logic will not be small, I certainly wouldn't want any changes rushed out at this stage.

My players seem to be asking for new contracts far too often. Start of the season i signed 3 players and by March the same season, all had asked for new contracts.

1 player was signed on a bosman from a small club so his wage demands were far less than his ability deserved, on a 5yr deal and as a Key Player. He was performing very well through the season and averaging just under a goal per game. In January he asks for a new contract, even tho i could only extend the deal by 1 year anyway as he initially signed a 5yr deal. I told him to prove to me he deserves it and he agrees. He performances dropped after that significantly, going from 1 Goal Per Game to only 2 in 15 starts so i decide not to offer him a new deal yet as he is clearly playing poorly. Then in April he hands in a transfer request as broke promises by not offering him a new deal. Then after waiting a while for him to be willing to negotiate a new deal i go to offer him one and his weekly demand is £85k p/w, which i managed to lower to £77k p/w. In at £77k p/w it is still a huge increase considering he was on £12k p/w before and still had over 4 years left on his deal. Obviosuly he deserves a higher wage but asking for 6x (and not any lower without adding a ridiculous amount of clauses) for merely a 1yr (closer to 6months) extension is clearly not acceptable.

The other 2 players i signed that window also had the same problem but to a lesser extreme, with one going form £20k p/w to £65k p/w and the other £17k p/w to £57k p/w. Both again already with over 4 yrs left on the contract and no change in squad role.

Length of contract is rather meaningless in this context, if a player thinks he is under paid then he'll ask for a new deal.

I'm also wondering what the first lad would have asked for if you offered him an improved deal when he initially asked for one? It sounds like he deserved better terms & offering him a deal more in line with his performances or telling him to get lost would have been the realistic thing to do, telling him to prove himself when by all accounts he's already done that just seems counter-intuitive.

I get players asking for new contracts a lot too. I tell them "there's still significant time left..." - Not once has this resulted in anything else then the players being happy about it.

Length of contract is rather meaningless in this context, if a player thinks he is under paid then he'll ask for a new deal.

I'm also wondering what the first lad would have asked for if you offered him an improved deal when he initially asked for one? It sounds like he deserved better terms & offering him a deal more in line with his performances or telling him to get lost would have been the realistic thing to do, telling him to prove himself when by all accounts he's already done that just seems counter-intuitive.

Your probably right that he deserved a new deal regardless and MAY have asked for less at that time, however he 'agreed' to my response when initially asking for a new deal and he clearly didn't 'prove' that he deserved a new contract considering the massive drop off in quality of performance and it wasn't even like he carried on playing at the same level as before.

I still play FM09 but the thing I think is paying 32 million for Axel Witsel is fine even when if I could have come up with 19 million 5 months earlier I could have had him for that, but as the game progresses if you play a save for a very long time (I'm in my 9th season) they should scale your profits to keep up with inflation. I still only make 44 million television rights a year, 24 million season tickets, 11 million sponsorships etc., but as these numbers stay stagnant the transfer fees increase every year it seems. If they could come up with a way to keep it all fairly in proportion that would be nice. Maybe they really are reflecting the trend that the amount of money involved in sports is only going to get more astronomical.

I get players asking for new contracts a lot too. I tell them "there's still significant time left..." - Not once has this resulted in anything else then the players being happy about it.

This seems to work for me as well.

As I said further up as well, if you 'lock' certain transfer clauses the agent seems to negotiate better, he'll add a more variety of clauses etc and accept a lower weekly wage.

Agreed, if you do it right then locking works wonders.

Of course if you do it wrong then its end of negotiations though, but it is easy to gain a realistic view of what will work and what won't

I've found that if a player really wants to come but his agent messes it up for him, he will sack his agent. Then you can try again.

I've found that if a player really wants to come but his agent messes it up for him, he will sack his agent. Then you can try again.

I've had this a couple of times.

The problem is they have the exact same inflexible demands without their agent.

• 3 weeks later...

Demands seem to have gone back to being ridiculous in the latest patch from yesterday. Were any changes made? Got players asking for 3x their wages again, an aging (33) player on £120k p/w wanting a rise to £150k p/w despite him getting less football. Agents also seem unwilling to negotiate.

I love when you try and buy a player who wants ludicrous wages then a week later ends up at another club on HALF the wage he wanted from you, not sure how anyone can justify this in any way shape or form because in my books it's a clear bug and something that should be sorted, no clue why the player team has to pay top dollar for everything on this game when the AI teams always get a bargain and a half, for example £30M from you is too low yet £20M from the AI is accepted, what the bloody hell?

Still, I don't mind paying 15 year olds £15k a week because that's pretty damn realistic isn't it?

I have just experienced this sitaution:

I'm AC Milan (2nd in league with champions league football) I attempt to sign an Italian player from another club (a non italian football team) offering a key role in the team with wages of £72,000 per week and nice bonuses. He rejects me and goes to Tottenham (4th in their league) but with a wage of only £31,500 per week and less bonuses. oh yeah and he's only a squad rotation too with them too! I offered key status :eek:

Edit: After loading and reloading several times I discover he will only join my team when I offer him £110,000 per week. Anything less and he thinks in his delusional head that earning £31k as a squad rotation at Spurs is the better option

Archived