How many people will be buying FM on release day in future?

Will you be buying FM on release day in future?  

851 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buying FM on release day in future?

• Yes of course.
    • Maybe.
    • I will never buy FM on release day again.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about an apology for selling me a game that doesn't work properly?

That's not a description of FM13 in my experience. Despite some issues with the ME (long shots I believe, which I expect will be fixed) its the best version yet IMO.

I might buy it but like fm13 I won't be playing it seriously until it has been fully patched. I only play it now to find out who the good cheap players are, not played past 1 and a half seasons so far as the ME keeps changing which means I need different players with different skills and different formations to the ones I have signed and used.

I can't see myself buying the game in the near future at all.

Couldn't get into Fm13 at all because it's too slow, heats the processor too much and just generally unplayable.

Lots of convoluted things in the game and the UI is terribly bad.

Might wait a few years before seeing if I'll play the game at all.

I haven't played the game in months. No point, it's too slow.

I have an i7 quad core processor. 8gb Ram and a decent graphics card.

The only slow part about the game is the UI, in the Tactics screen it can take up to 5 seconds or multiple clicks to select a player in position. Or even to just filter the players.

Every other screen is fine in terms of speed.

I'll try again after the next update, probably mid Feb. But I don't hold hopes for it.

I think they've made a disaster of the game and the UI in particular.

Me too (I think we discussed this in the laptop thread?) but the game flies for me. And this is with quite a lot of leagues running (see my career thread for details).

I can't see myself buying the game in the near future at all.

Couldn't get into Fm13 at all because it's too slow, heats the processor too much and just generally unplayable.

Lots of convoluted things in the game and the UI is terribly bad.

Might wait a few years before seeing if I'll play the game at all.

I haven't played the game in months. No point, it's too slow.

The only slow part about the game is the UI, in the Tactics screen it can take up to 5 seconds or multiple clicks to select a player in position. Or even to just filter the players.

Every other screen is fine in terms of speed.

I'll try again after the next update, probably mid Feb. But I don't hold hopes for it.

I think they've made a disaster of the game and the UI in particular.

I don't think it's the game. :( Your system is way better than mine (dual core 3.20GHz and only 4gig ram, cheapest desktop off the shelf I could find in pc world many moons ago) and the only thing I wait for more than 5 seconds for is to save or load the thing.

It's amazing, SI added a sticky on the Forum complaining about the 'state of the forums' and the 'criticism' they have received that has overstepped the mark but they never comment on people who mock others and criticise other forum members by trying to defend SI.

They close the threads down ASAP now if you have the audacity to criticise their methods, their strategy, the way the series has been cash cowed by Sega, etc but do very little when a Forum member who disagrees with another Forum members opinion against SI slate them and quite frankly is damn right horrid to them.

I have never understood why SI/the moderators can't simply delete the posts from the people who display this attitude and NOT the whole thread, that way the thread can continue and the people who break the rules are the only ones punished.

Otherwise it smacks of a company trying to silence a community that has worked hard and paid good money to help develop a game but who simply wish to only hear the views of certain parts of the community.

Anyway back to the OP, I never buy the game now on release due to price and far too many bugs.

Personally I play the old version up to the end of the summer transfer window (so currently I plan to play FM12 until Sep/Oct'13) then I buy the next version and get the Weegie update for that version for the summer transfer window that has just gone.

Bottom line I get a game for under £10, I get all the bugs and rubbish ironed out, and I get an updated database.

It's amazing, SI added a sticky on the Forum complaining about the 'state of the forums' and the 'criticism' they have received that has overstepped the mark but they never comment on people who mock others and criticise other forum members by trying to defend SI.

They close the threads down ASAP now if you have the audacity to criticise their methods, their strategy, the way the series has been cash cowed by Sega, etc but do very little when a Forum member who disagrees with another Forum members opinion against SI slate them and quite frankly is damn right horrid to them.

I have never understood why SI/the moderators can't simply delete the posts from the people who display this attitude and NOT the whole thread, that way the thread can continue and the people who break the rules are the only ones punished.

Otherwise it smacks of a company trying to silence a community that has worked hard and paid good money to help develop a game but who simply wish to only hear the views of certain parts of the community.

Anyway back to the OP, I never buy the game now on release due to price and far too many bugs.

Personally I play the old version up to the end of the summer transfer window (so currently I plan to play FM12 until Sep/Oct'13) then I buy the next version and get the Weegie update for that version for the summer transfer window that has just gone.

Bottom line I get a game for under £10, I get all the bugs and rubbish ironed out, and I get an updated database.

This is nonsense, MacZidane (as this is who most people refer to) got a ban and his comments were deleted, so they do take action.

You can post any criticism you want in the feedback thread, as long as it isn't abusive or libellous.

I'm not sure what you are getting at, or is me writing this someone being horrid to you?

I've got a crap HP laptop with integrated graphics and i dont exeprience those issues, must be a system clash Eugene, have you logged it?

I have but haven't heard back.

I did make some tweaks that cleared up some of the issues.

The main difference that sped the game up was not having any scouts at all at the club. Which isn't ideal.

I reported scout reports slow down the game in FM12 and didn't hear anything back.

I just can't play the game. It's ridiculous.

I don't think it's the game. :( Your system is way better than mine (dual core 3.20GHz and only 4gig ram, cheapest desktop off the shelf I could find in pc world many moons ago) and the only thing I wait for more than 5 seconds for is to save or load the thing.

Yours is dual core but at 3.2 ghz, mine is quad core @ 2.1 ghz. You've a faster processor than I have.

RAM woudn't make a difference.

I've been reprimanded for exactly what your moaning about. They delete crap full stop, doesnt matter if its pro SI or not. I'd have at least 99,000 posts if they didnt.

SI will let you say you dont like the game, or point out the issues of the game, but they wont stand for abusive posts from people, i think thats pretty reasonable.

I have but haven't heard back.

I did make some tweaks that cleared up some of the issues.

The main difference that sped the game up was not having any scouts at all at the club. Which isn't ideal.

I reported scout reports slow down the game in FM12 and didn't hear anything back.

I just can't play the game. It's ridiculous.

Hmm weird, you all patched up yeh? I did find the laptop heating up more before one of the patches, but since then its been fine.

I know its a n00b question, but your not running anything else at the same time are you? This game def does take a bit of extra PC power, i dont really run Itunes when i play FM13, but did all the time on FM12.

To be honest they shouldnt advertise something if it doesn't work to an acceptable standard- last year it wasnt the ME that was the main selling point but the ability to Add New Leagues. That patently did not work and they didnt fix it for that version of the game (it was implemented so badly it was a gamebreaker).

Now the ME isnt "broken" as such but its not at the right level and I just think that it would be better to not promise the Earth if its not realistically deliverable- my example of FM12 and the league function being a prime example. Its not a new feature if it doesnt work.

BINGO! There is a Chinese saying, when a person who speaks Cantonese meets a person who speaks Mandarin: "Chicken and duck talk". No offense, but in this forum I see a lot of chickens talking to a lot of ducks.

The reason why I bought this game was that I read about a new, improved Match Engine. I didn't see it. Instead, I saw a match engine which was described, by the very man who created it, as "still in beta and rough around the edges". Hats off to him for his honesty, but I won't play FM anymore until the ME pass its "beta stage".

I am sorry to say but I will never buy the game again at the day of release..Maybe don't even buy it at all for the first time in the last 16 years...It's almost January and the game is still unplayable..I can't remeber in any previous version that it took so long for the game to be fixed..So according to this year's experiense I won't be buying the game again at the day of release...

It's almost January and the game is still unplayable.
I go through this almost daily, but here we go again. It isn't unplayable. It may very well be that you don't like how the game plays, and indeed there are a number of issues which may justifiably lead someone to such a conclusion, but it isn't unplayable, and to claim that it is helps no-one. How can they consider your opinion when it is based on a falsehood? I know statistics have very limited use, but at one point today 75,000 people were playing it at the same time. This only proves one thing - that it isn't unplayable.

If I could get any kind of refund for fm2013 I would take it, been playing with the latest patch and it's so silly the things I'm seeing.

Also the scam of having a permanent 25% discount on steam is a joke, just stop lying and say the actual price not some half assed sales technique.

I'll buy it because it's the best option available and I get my moneys worth, plus I believe the database updates alone is worth paying for. I was happy enough with the old CM games, and they were commentary only. Now I have the pleasure of watching 3D dudes running about a pitch, that's progress, and I don't take such a thing for granted. Regardless of bugs and a ME that currently has problems, SI have a track record of fixing things. Plus FMC has made me a happy chap.

At the end of the day it's a game that I play for a bit of chilled out fun, nothing more nothing less. Reading through some of these threads lately you'd think people had invested their life savings in to FM and their livelihood depended on it being the perfect simulation of football. A dose of perspective is needed.

I'll buy it because it's the best option available and I get my moneys worth, plus I believe the database updates alone is worth paying for. I was happy enough with the old CM games, and they were commentary only. Now I have the pleasure of watching 3D dudes running about a pitch, that's progress, and I don't take such a thing for granted. Regardless of bugs and a ME that currently has problems, SI have a track record of fixing things. Plus FMC has made me a happy chap.

At the end of the day it's a game that I play for a bit of chilled out fun, nothing more nothing less. Reading through some of these threads lately you'd think people had invested their life savings in to FM and their livelihood depended on it being the perfect simulation of football. A dose of perspective is needed.

It's so nice when somebody sensible turns up :)

I agree, they should spend all their time trying to fix the game instead of having the cheek to acknowledge someone's comment. I hate it when my comments are acknowledged.

:lol:

Very true great post. Re the complaints I actually think it is a credit to FM. The number of bad games I have played and just thrown out or given away is huge. I'd much rather have fans that stuck about to complain rather than turning their back on the series. Perspective is needed on both sides, in my opinion. Firstly by the customers in realising, like you say, that it is just a game (and a great one at that), but also by the makers in realising that their marketing machine has gone too far, and even if the game is good some people are ending up disappointed. Ultimately I think that if the ME is (in the makers words) "still in beta" and "rough around the edges" then it shouldn't be promoted as a main feature in the way that it was. Some people may disagree with this, but for me it is a bottom line.

I think the level of criticism (particularly how frequently aggressive it is) is uncalled for, but I think there are two sides to the story. Suppose you sell cakes of average quality and taste. In scenario A you describe the cake as delicious, and in scenario B you say the cake is the best cake ever made. Perhaps you say it is a revolution in cakes, with over 900 improvements on your previous cake. Assuming in both scenarios the cake you provide is the same, it makes sense that scenario B will yield more complaints, because customers expected more. Maybe this emotion applies to nobody except me, but it really does express just how I feel about the situation.

Anyone that is satisfied with the current state of the ME clearly has no idea what football is about. Everything else about FM for me is spot on yet the one thing that matter is the one thing that is broken the most but hopefully they learn from this, still have no idea why the ME changed from FM12 which I played a lot and enjoyed much more than FM13, even though I went one season as Barca (rofl) and won everything I still didn't enjoy it.

Anyone that is satisfied with the current state of the ME clearly has no idea what football is about.

That statement is horribly and offensively wrong.

It may be true of anyone who thinks the ME is a perfect representation of all levels of professional football, but not of someone who is 'satisfied' by the ME.

I am satisfied by it, seeing as it is A GAME, rather than real life, and just happens to be the best around. Note also the use of 'current state', which carries no implication of 'final state'. If they were to say it was the final state for any FM ME ever, then I would be less satisfied, but you will, I am sure, have noticed that they are not.

i've been burnt by this release.bought it because of a new super improved engine that was supposed to crap all over fm12.....what a joke.

i have not played for 2 months now due to match engine driving me nuts, only check updates and play a few games to see if they fixed the most obvious issues (they havent). still waiting for a playable ME unfortunately. Wont be in a rush next time to buy the game

i've been burnt by this release. i have not played for 2 months now due to match engine driving me nuts, only check updates and play a few games to see if they fixed the most obvious issues (they havent). still waiting for a playable ME unfortunately. Wont be in a rush next time to buy the game
I go through this almost daily, but here we go again. It isn't unplayable. It may very well be that you don't like how the game plays, and indeed there are a number of issues which may justifiably lead someone to such a conclusion, but it isn't unplayable, and to claim that it is helps no-one. How can they consider your opinion when it is based on a falsehood? I know statistics have very limited use, but at one point today 75,000 people were playing it at the same time. This only proves one thing - that it isn't unplayable.

so

i've been burnt by this release. i have not played for 2 months now due to match engine driving me nuts, only check updates and play a few games to see if they fixed the most obvious issues (they havent). still waiting for an ME which meets my strict requirements unfortunately. Wont be in a rush next time to buy the game

ftfy - and then no-one can complain about you stating your opinion

That statement is horribly and offensively wrong.

It may be true of anyone who thinks the ME is a perfect representation of all levels of professional football, but not of someone who is 'satisfied' by the ME.

I am satisfied by it, seeing as it is A GAME, rather than real life, and just happens to be the best around. Note also the use of 'current state', which carries no implication of 'final state'. If they were to say it was the final state for any FM ME ever, then I would be less satisfied, but you will, I am sure, have noticed that they are not.

It is indeed a game based on football so you'd expect the game to, you know, look like football wouldn't you? you don't buy a fighting game then drive cars and vice versa then say oh wait, it's just a game never mind, when you buy ANY game based on something in real life you do expect it to be as similar as possible just like people buying Forza expect it to be as close to real life driving as possible and it's the best around because it's virtually the only option around that doesn't make it great you know.

Well maybe it's just me, but I'd expect a game being fully released at full price to be nearer "final state" than "early state" because if you ask me this current ME is something like a very, very early BETA and not something that should be in development for 8 months AFTER the game is released, hey what's up guys, we are releasing FOOTBALL MANAGER now but don't expect it to remind you of FOOTBALL MANAGEMENT for another 4-8 months while we continue working on the most important aspect of any game, the core of it which in this case is the ME.

I always look forward to seeing what new features are in the new release, its never going to be reduced in price that much, to make me wait.

I only thing its a waste of money if I Never play it, over this coming year think of play time against cost of game?

It is indeed a game based on football so you'd expect the game to, you know, look like football wouldn't you? you don't buy a fighting game then drive cars and vice versa then say oh wait, it's just a game never mind, when you buy ANY game based on something in real life you do expect it to be as similar as possible just like people buying Forza expect it to be as close to real life driving as possible and it's the best around because it's virtually the only option around that doesn't make it great you know.

Well maybe it's just me, but I'd expect a game being fully released at full price to be nearer "final state" than "early state" because if you ask me this current ME is something like a very, very early BETA and not something that should be in development for 8 months AFTER the game is released, hey what's up guys, we are releasing FOOTBALL MANAGER now but don't expect it to remind you of FOOTBALL MANAGEMENT for another 4-8 months while we continue working on the most important aspect of any game, the core of it which in this case is the ME.

Ok, so the fact that sometimes players don't make through balls, or that occasionally back-post marking switches off, is comparable in degree of error to driving cars in a fighting game. That is an extraordinary/pathetic comparison to make, and surely negates any serious consideration of any future comment you make.

There is competition, FIFA Manager 13, and there was at least a Premier Manager 12, and remember Eidos' CM? The lack of serious competition is due to FM being 'satisfactory' enough for you to not even know about the competition, not because it doesn't exist.

What the hell are you yapping about sir? I am comparing one game to another game and saying when you play a game based on a real life event you expect it to be as similar as possible, how can you even fail to grasp that? anyway, look at the steam stats and see that only 6% of users have stayed at a club for 5 seasons and a lot of the season achievements are around the same 6% so it's not like this game has hundreds of thousands of users playing it who have played it a lot because these stats show that's not the case.

As I said, if you can watch a full match in FM13 then watch a full match on the TV and still say the ME is like real football then you have no idea what football is about.

lol you are a joke, you see the need to critisise completely valid opinions of people, just so they seem lesser than your opinion? how old are you? There is no magic strict requirements here, fm12 engine would suffice, and fm13 falls short in every aspect.

not sure why you got your knickers in a bunch over people not liking the current state of ME, and feel the need to discredit others' opinions via reductio ad absurdum. what makes your opinion more valid than those who do not like it?

As I said, if you can watch a full match in FM13 then watch a full match on the TV and still say the ME is like real football then you have no idea what football is about.

You didn't say that, you said find the ME 'satisfactory'. No-one ever claimed it was just like real football.
lol you are a joke, you see the need to critisise completely valid opinions of people, just so they seem lesser than your opinion? how old are you? There is a simple standard here, fm12 engine, and fm13 falls short in every aspect, not sure why you got your knickers in a bunch over people not liking the current state of ME. Reminds me of creationists denying evolutiion

Is it valid to compare the existant errors in the ME to

you don't buy a fighting game then drive cars and vice versa then say oh wait, it's just a game never mind

The ME is not perfect, but it looks more like real football than his bizarre comparison would suggest.

What the hell are you yapping about sir? I am comparing one game to another game and saying when you play a game based on a real life event you expect it to be as similar as possible, how can you even fail to grasp that? anyway, look at the steam stats and see that only 6% of users have stayed at a club for 5 seasons and a lot of the season achievements are around the same 6% so it's not like this game has hundreds of thousands of users playing it who have played it a lot because these stats show that's not the case.

What is the normal percentage of people who play longer than 5 seasons? Especially less than 4 months after release?

I watch real football to see real life, like most normal people, expecting this game to be an exact replica of reality is mental, and if thats your expectations then im guessing you have never enjoyed a single version of FM in your life.

You didn't say that, you said find the ME 'satisfactory'. No-one ever claimed it was just like real football.

So it's a football game where the ME isn't like real football and people still defend it, wait, what?

Yoshi, saying the ME is "playable" isn't exactly a valid opinion when I've seen far better negative arguments on the ME than positive which in general seem to be "it's playable" yet nobody ever really explains why except when they say "it's a game" which still doesn't form a valid opinion in my books.

milnerpoint you can easily do 5 seasons at one club in 4 months yet I'm guessing the reason only 6% have managed it is because of the ME itself because even though the game is 4 months old you can't deny it still feels like a beta and who mentioned this being an exact replica? I said and I quote, it has to be as similar as possible and just for the record, similar and exact are two completely different words with two completely different meanings, just so you know.

I also enjoyed FM12 and pretty much every other FM since 07 I believe it was yet FM13 is a new low.

"2,157 players recommend this game to their friends"

Doesn't mean much but still, you kinda expect more surely?

So it's a football game where the ME isn't like real football and people still defend it, wait, what?

It is like real football. It is bloody miles away from being exactly like real football, but it looks similar enough to satisfy me in a managment computer game.

If that isn't enough to satisfy you, then that is your opinion, but to claim the differences between the ME and real football are so grave as to be the same as "you don't buy a fighting game then drive cars and vice versa " is going beyond the realms of opinon.

Edit - I do not need to employ reductio ad absurdum - I think kingpug's driving/fighting comparison was absurd enough to begin with.

playble for me having no major bugs that affect the outcome of the game in an obvious manner - such as goakeeper rushing out to kick a 50 metres shot on goal and missing it for a goal, or 3 defenders chasing a winger to sideline, no throughballs at all, , or wingers dribbling half a field every game to score goals maradona style.

It is like real football. It is bloody miles away from being exactly like real football, but it looks similar enough to satisfy me in a managment computer game.

If that isn't enough to satisfy you, then that is your opinion, but to claim the differences between the ME and real football are so grave as to be the same as "you don't buy a fighting game then drive cars and vice versa " is going beyond the realms of opinon.

Edit - I do not need to employ reductio ad absurdum - I think kingpug's driving/fighting comparison was absurd enough to begin with.

Are you really that brainless or just ran out of things to say? shall I go away and translate it into mandarin in the hopes you can finally grasp it?

You buy a football game and expect it to be as close to real life football as possible.

Now, do you grasp it yet? you don't buy a football game that is far from the football you see all the time then say "it's just a game" do you?

playble for me having no major bugs that affect the outcome of the game in an obvious manner - such as goakeeper rushing out to kick a 50 metres shot on goal and missing it for a goal, or 3 defenders chasing a winger to sideline, no throughballs at all, , or wingers dribbling half a field every game to score goals maradona style w

Who exactly are you talking to btw? but yeah I agree with you mate, I had Alves running from right wing back and skinning half the team before scoring a wonder goal quite often but I also see this a lot when I watch it on the TV from other full backs so it is indeed real so Fandel does have a very valid point. I could sit here for ages repeating everything bad about the ME that other people have listed more than once but I won't, all I know is the difference between watching a match on FM13 and watching a match on my tv is like black and white.

milnerpoint you can easily do 5 seasons at one club in 4 months yet I'm guessing the reason only 6% have managed it is because of the ME itself because even though the game is 4 months old you can't deny it still feels like a beta and who mentioned this being an exact replica? I said and I quote, it has to be as similar as possible and just for the record, similar and exact are two completely different words with two completely different meanings, just so you know.

I also enjoyed FM12 and pretty much every other FM since 07 I believe it was yet FM13 is a new low.

"2,157 players recommend this game to their friends"

Doesn't mean much but still, you kinda expect more surely?

So you cant answer the question no?

Ill simplfy it for you, what percentage of people on FM12 had played more than 5 seasons by this time last year? Before you state that this years percentage is low, you must be able to tell me this stat.

Do you think the FM12 ME looked like real football?

Well considering I didn't check the stats last year how should I know? I guess we will see these stats in 4 months time and see how many people achieved this then eh, not that is really matters though because it doesn't change the ME does it. Speaking of stats, how many units has FM13 sold thus far?

This is an interesting thread.

Because my level go English is not great (even after 7y in UK !!! lol), I am not able to explain very well my feeling but I found interesting point here.

This FM13 make me really sad. I am an Hardcore gamer concerning FM (this is the only game I really follow). I usually buy it 1st day (I have pre order the 13). I will definitly NOT do it for the next one.

The ME is terribly bad. The last update definitly killed that tittle.

SI, Sega, please hire beta tester ! I am sure you will find people who will be happy to help you (I am open to help) during their free time (remember the FMlive beta ?).

I am back to FM12. If I had a boxed fm13, I'll send it back to your office just to proof my sadness and frustration.

SI, you have only 1 great tittle. Take care of it please. Do not kill it as you killed FM live.

Well considering I didn't check the stats last year how should I know? I guess we will see these stats in 4 months time and see how many people achieved this then eh, not that is really matters though because it doesn't change the ME does it. Speaking of stats, how many units has FM13 sold thus far?

So how can you say this years number is low then? How do you know its not above last years figure at this time?

No one will have access to the exact number of units, but as of 4 days ago it was still topping the PC gaming chart, not bad for a terrible game that no one enjoys, wouldnt you say?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a448989/football-manager-2013-remains-pc-number-one.html

You didnt answer the second question, did FM12 do a better job of representing a real game of football?

First of all PC charts don't exactly count for much when a game played by over 10 million people is 8th and 4 of the top 10 games are the Sims and another is a farming simulator. Plus I can't remember calling it terrible and saying nobody enjoys it but feel free to prove me wrong and quote me on that one.

Second question is aye it did but I guess the hate FM13 has thus far is the exact same hate FM12 had after 4 months, right?

Also stats don't really matter much in games like this as you can buy a game such as FM13 then decide you hate it but that still counts as a sale doesn't it? if 1 million people buy FM13 yet half of them don't like it the stats will still say 1 million people bought it so steam is a decent way to see how many people are actively PLAYING it and right now that's 20k people using steam but I have no idea what that peaks at.

Anyway I'm off to game some and will probably end up banned again so have fun with your perfect football <3

For the past 5 years it has been release day... but not anymore.

I am no longer willing the be a paying beta tester.

I don't go to a restaurant, ask for a steak, get a cow and spend the nexr hour eating it alive while they try to kill it and cook at the same time, all that while asking me "is it good now?".

This.

Sadly, I won't be purchasing on release date any more. Given that patches are still being issued now and the game is at least half the retail release price, I'll be using my brain and picking it up in the January sales, 2014.

Sorry SI, but you need to make sure future releases are better prepared. Bugs are one thing (and accepted as part of the industry) but having tax issues, transfer issues and player contract issues which effectively make the game unplayable (across several seasons) just isn't good enough.

Archived