Scout and Team reports and how I use them.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sort of put my Scouting Thread for FM12 to shame a little here lam cheers :( haha

Seriously now, top class thread only skim read it and it's pretty much the same as mine but a hell of a lot more detailed and just better in most ways :p

Just thought I'd post back....seeing as I am learning things myself.. albeit, things that I look at now and wonder how I never saw them before......... but isn't this whole game like that ;)

2u8b38l.jpg

This is a team I am about to face. I'll post back shortly about what I saw......

But, in the meantime....see if someone else wants to give it a try. What do you see? I'll give some clues. How do they attack? How do they defend? WHERE do they do those?

(to many clues)

Regards

LAM

Another thing that caught my attention..........

I was looking at their team through my usual filters and I noticed how determine their defence was....... I was looking at it thinking they are going to be hard to smash... win... sure, thrash.... not likely.

So, I took a peek at their results:

4sikqc.jpg

Not sure about everyone, but it makes for interesting reading on my part....... a determine set of defenders that simply won't give up.......

I have no idea how close the games were, but the results certainly suggest it wasn't easy!

LAM

They'll be missing both starting FBs so I'd hazard a guess you could have some success down the flanks. I'd talk to press about Craig Dawson being a weakness in the hope of destroying his confidence. That would weaken their defence even further.

I'd have one of my DCs try and mark Rosenberg tight and possibly kick lumps out of him too.

Okay,

Now there is no right and wrong in this game... only winning and losing ;)

I'm certainly not going to say that you are wrong, but there is no evidence in the diagrams to indicate a media attack on Rosenburg would be effective, however it could very well work.

RT is spot on here. Through a number of factors, below is what I'm going to do.

As you can see from the ASSIST CHART. Most of West Brom's (the opposition) Assists came from the center and their right wing. ALong with Odemwingie's in ability to track back, I would, as RT suggested, push forward down this wing. However, you'll see from the Assists Chart that WB are also weak down their opposite flank too..... therefore, I will attack that flank too.......... Therefore, I am going to use the shout, right at the start of the game "Play Wider", this will push my width and also focus passing down the flanks.

Given their formation, I could also use play narrow and exploit the flanks, as this will keep me tight and frustrate their middle players, but my formation likes width, or at least my team do.

Also, to highlight this even further, in my last screen shot, you will see that BOTH of their first choice wingbacks are not going to be playing. One is injured and one is banned.

So, if ever a team needed to be flanked..... it's these chaps......

I'll try and post another screen shot shortly, but there is a screen that shows how strong their team is, but not everyone knows that this shows how strong they are WITH THEIR AVAILABLE PLAYERS. Thus when I team like this has injuries, you can be pretty sure who they will put in the line.... and you can exploit it even further.

I'm not sure where my goals will come from as playing wide creates lots of space for my team in the middle and I have Dembele, who just loves to run into a gap with the ball and score (4 from 4 so far)......

Regards

LAM

RT - well spotted!

*EDIT*

I missed all the other replies typing this one........ whilst trying to feed the kids.......

Lots of you got it... nice one!

The information is always there........ just gotta look for it!

In relation to using the media against players, rightly or wrongly, I would never consider it against really determined players. For me it just incites the "I'll prove him wrong" attitude. You know the response.... the chap that never scores and then scores against you when you called him useless...........

Well.... once you get used to it you can generally nail it down to a few key players that are going to be an annoyance (short of others popping up during the game). So, you can make minor changes to the tactics ahead of the game (just dont save the tactic and then you can reload the saved tactic the following game), or you leave it and look for things in game that would suggest your suspicions were correct.

For instance. If I play Manchest United and they put Rooney in the hole. I will NOT wait for the game to get going to see how he does, I will put Sandro in the team, in the DM positions, Tight Man Mark, lower closing down and then pray.

Other opposite examples might be a decent crossing Fullback that has managed to pick up 3 assits in 6 games or so. Now, I want my Wingers being free most of the time, so I don't mind some closing down, but I don't really want them man marking....... so, I will watch the game and if my advance winger is keeping their FB pegged back, then I won't make a change, however if he is getting forward and whipping in crosses, then I will ask my winger to man mark and perhaps lower his mentality etc.

Some things just scream at you to be addressed, others are simply heads up..... and like I pointed out earlier in the post, a good team will find other was of beating you.

Oddly enough, despite me using scout reports, and watching entire games (yes, my season takes forever. I am only 12/14 games into the league now (First season)), i never make notes! Someone else said that they'd have put me top of the list for that..... but I don't.... I really should though:o

Thanks for the reply. I'm a note taker by nature but I want to avoid that curse whilst playing this game.

How do you remember the opposition instructions you are going to apply or is there a way of applying them before the game?

I take thousands of notes. I do it with pen and paper and with the notes in game. I'd stick with taking notes if it's something you do, you never know come later in the season something you've wrote down can win you that all important game :)

I take thousands of notes. I do it with pen and paper and with the notes in game. I'd stick with taking notes if it's something you do, you never know come later in the season something you've wrote down can win you that all important game :)

I'd end up with notes everywhere and I have enough of those as it is ;) Incidentally I could never get on with the in game notepad. I rejoiced when it was introduced but I just can't get on with it.

Anyway I digress. Is there a way of applying opposition instructions before the day of the game?

Great thread lam!

Thanks for putting all this information out here. It's one of those threads that opens up areas of FM that you might not so easily make use of...

What I was wondering though is that you didn't mention the opposing manager.

I always find myself looking at his preferred playing style and tactics. This may help you dissect the opposing tactics a lot quicker.

Anyway I digress. Is there a way of applying opposition instructions before the day of the game?

No.... how do you know who is going to play?

I know what you are trying to do, but really, the OI's should be about the player in the position rather than the position itself.

LAM

What I was wondering though is that you didn't mention the opposing manager

I never do this.... however there is absolutely no valid reason I could give you not too. I might even start having a nosey myself.

Quick question if you don't mind? My scout report never includes a suggestion re match preparation - is there a setting I can tweak to change this?It would be a great help.

Thanks for the kind words!

Now that you mention it, I too am looking at a report without Pre-match suggestions. I don't know what the answer is but I'll play around and perhaps look at who is giving me the report.

If you want to do well at this game, this is the one thread you must read.

Lam this is fantastic thread, in every thread I have ever written I have always listed match preparation as a vital cog in the tactical wheel. It becomes vital when you are facing a tough opponent, and especially important if you want to overachieve.

If I may add, understanding where the assists are going to come from is something everyone should do, take the names and jersey numbers of those players down. Go, and I cant stress how important this is, watch one of the games which they won (make sure its a home game if you are playing away). Look for player swapping if its remotely possible. Its really hard, and if you dont, make sure during your match you take note of where their dangerous players are. I am planning a massive update to my Stafford thread where I will recap on our second season including what I did ingame. In our match against league leaders Barnet we absolutely had to win the match, and I spent a considerable amount of time identifying their threats before the game. During the game (OMG i went through 90 epic minutes), I was forced into making player swap roles to make sure influential players were covered, we won that encounter 2-0 :-)

A lot of what the seasoned players do is muscle memory, but there are so many tools that now exist in the game that weren't there before, and match preparation will make your games so much easier.

good work mate..I am gonna do a link to this thread on my blog, if you dont mind. I am so glad that we still have people on the tactics forums that produce insightful and meaningful threads.

This is a great thread, a must read thread for all players even if you know what you are doing or not.

I have got a suggestion and a comment.

Could this information be put into a pre match check list (crib sheet, as the Americans call them)?

I'm not going to be near a PC for a couple of days otherwise I would make an attempt at it. I would put what screen to look and what to look out for. I don't think adding how to counter the threat would be good. There are too many variables to consider between team and it would be a head ache to consider.

I can't remember which forward thinking manager said it but they said the that you only need to adapt the way your team plays depending on the amount of possession that the opposing team had. His team was a possession team going up against barca so knew he would not have the ball for 70% of the time so needed to react a lot. However, when his team normally played it would have 70% of possession so would react only 30% to the other teams.

So basically, if your team is superior you don't need to react to the opposing team and just play to your strengths.

Ha! I do this too. I use Bamboo paper on my iPad and have an electronic notebook for noting down opposition instructions etc.

Thanks for the kind words!

Now that you mention it, I too am looking at a report without Pre-match suggestions. I don't know what the answer is but I'll play around and perhaps look at who is giving me the report.

Lam,

Played a bit last night and noticed that I sometimes get the suggestions but usually only of there's a glaring weakness in the upcoming opponents. If there's nothing specific for my scout to say then, quite rightly, he says nothing!

I have been using a shortened version of your advice since yeasterday and it's really improved my results and enjoyment.

This is what I look at in the oppo:-

1) Tactics Used

2) Source of assists for (area of pitch)

3) Source of assists for (players)

4) Source of assists against (areas of pitch)

If it's a particular flank that's strong in terms of assists, I mark accordingly. If the strikers are strong in terms of assists I play with an extra centre-back. My goal, as you said above, is to get their main assists player subbed!

Thanks again.

Go, and I cant stress how important this is, watch one of the games which they won (make sure its a home game if you are playing away). Look for player swapping if its remotely possible. Its really hard, and if you dont, make sure during your match you take note of where their dangerous players are.

Your season must take as long as mine (if not longer to get through). :eek:

I am planning a massive update to my Stafford thread where I will recap on our second season including what I did ingame. In our match against league leaders Barnet we absolutely had to win the match, and I spent a considerable amount of time identifying their threats before the game. During the game (OMG i went through 90 epic minutes), I was forced into making player swap roles to make sure influential players were covered, we won that encounter 2-0 :-)

Definitely keeping an eye out for this!

good work mate..I am gonna do a link to this thread on my blog, if you dont mind. I am so glad that we still have people on the tactics forums that produce insightful and meaningful threads.

Please do..... I'd be honoured.

Regards

LAM

I just had a read through everything in this thread before returning to FM13 from a short break. I decided to take a look at the opposition's weaknesses in terms of assists and spotted that they concede the majority of their goals down their left flank. Taking your advice, I focused down there - instead of starting Ilsinho (my back-up) for a game against Levante (Europa League match-up, winner would top the group, draw and I'd finish second) I decided that going with my first choice Aaron Lennon (I'm Spurs) was better to ensure that I could get the win I really wanted. Within 60 seconds, Dembélé laid it back to Smith (RB), who set Lennon down the right flank. He destroyed their left back and played in a great cross for Defoe to get on the end of. 1-0 up in an instant.

I've never thought to take advantage of things like scout reports - usually they're the sort of things I see and dismiss instantly, take no interest in. I've never realised how useful it was and how it could provide an all-important edge in an up-coming game. I mean, I've never had any difficulty with FM before, but this definitely gives me a better chance at succeeding in a game where previously it would be hard to find a win.

KUTGW lam :thup:

Glad it's working for you chaps!!

One thing I like about it, aside from making it easier to win, is that I feel really in control of how my team plays and rather than just sending 11 men out to do battle and sitting back, I feel that I have already given them the edge by doing my homework.

I've been spending a lot of time on the analysis tab too and the two of these things combined makes for some very nice detective work. Now I have the ability to see a problem before it arises, wait for it to emerge and then to stamp down on it.

I've never seen an ME like this where the midfield is soooo key. Even if it's not the main source of assists or goals. In a 442, if you can close down their midfield duo... who is going to supply their wingers? The two FB's? trying to pass down the line everytime?

Defensive Midfielders are worth their weight in gold this ME! ( alittle off topic there)

It's not an area I really paid attention to on the last few versions of the game. However I've been using them a lot more in recent days thanks to this thread and my results have got even better and I'm finding myself around 75% of the time not needing to do anything else in a game because I've been prepared before hand. Due to this I'm flying through the season now (well by my standards) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ta....

It grows and shrinks as I think of things that are important or not.

FOr instance, my most recent change is to include the number of key passes and Pass completion. Key passes (divided by the number of games) will tell you the dangermen that you need to keep an eye on and pass completion is often either some good FB's or their Midfield Pivots.

Armed with that information you can decide if you want to do something about it. For instance, if there is an MC that has a high pass completion AND key pass score then I WILL TIGHT MARK him before the game starts (at least issue the instruction, I'm not gonna follow him home and sit on the sofa with him or anything). If a playe has either one but not both, then I'll llook at the formation and make a decision, if the decision is to do nothign, then I'll keep a close eye onhim during the game and check stats at 15/20/25 mins or so.

I wouldn't neccessarily say going defensive is a must. I've often found that actually pushing my WB's up means that they start closer to the opposition winger. So it's a case of understanding where they are starting from.

You should be able to pinpoint the threat if they have one flank offering far more assists than the other. If you can do this then you just need to understand how to deal with it.

If you a re deep and they are high, then a defensive role would probably work, if they are deep and you are high, then you might consider an attacking role on the WB BUT with NO forward runs. This means his starting position is higher up the field, thus closer to the winger BUT he won't get forward and get caught out of position.

Closing down can also be tricky, ideally you want your FB focusing on noone other than their winger (all other things being equal) so I MAN MARKING PI might be good. You'll need to work out if TIGHT or not is best though.

3136k3b.jpg

QUIZ:

Through the system outlined above. I ascertained that there was a threat from two players. I have TIGHT MAN MARKED these two players. The stats are from half time.

WHICH ARE THE TWO PLAYERS I MARKED?

pienaar and oviedo ???

You got one....

I should have probably indicated that these two players had the pass completion ratio's in their teams (or top three) and also had the best Key Passes stat.

Correct.

Essnetially I took their two best passers, key passers and assisters out of the game by simply man marking them tightly.

You'll see that Pienaar is still getting lots of crosses in, one every 5 minutes or so, which stand alone would be worrying, but none of them have conected and I know the reason. He is under tons of pressure when he is trying to get these and thus is fluffing them all the time. ala this thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/338410-A-guide-to-minimising-goals-from-crosses

Wow Lam !

Really great Thread (again...) together with Cleon and more you really help this community to understand the new ME of this game :D

I also really like the "quiz" you did . posting some pictures and let other people try to find the weaknesses of the opponent. Please do this more, i think people really learn about that :D

tonight i will start a new save with Leeds and will use this info to bring the glory back :D

Thanks again !

This is an extremely useful thread! So big :thup:

Although, applying this I'm on my best unbeaten run with LFC (just beat City at Etihad :D) there are things that still bug me. Your post about how to deal with specific threads is gold and helps immensely. Still, I cannot shed the feeling that I'm absolutely clueless.

I mean, I think I can discern possible threats and weaknesses, but I'm absolutely at a loss when it comes to dealing with that information.

In the City game I found it difficult to Identify one specific strength or weakness. I more or less went into the game thinking the quality of the opposing team would see me lose regardless of what I did. What I had noticed using the reports and looking back at the previous game was how they like to employ a 4-2-3-1 without wingers. So I switched from my usual 4-3-3 formation to a 3-5-2 formation with 3 central defenders, 2 wingbacks, a DM, two CMs and to STCs. I use zonal marking with that formation, but decided that their fullbacks needed to be dealt with so I set my two STCs to man-mark them. I decided that the more cautious Counter strategy would be preferable to my usual Attacking strategy and I managed to nullify their threats.

As you can imagine Borini and Suarez (the STCs) were dragged wildly out of position, but I'm not sure that actually hurt their game in this instance. It seems to me the City defenders had difficulty reading their runs as they made them from unusual positions.

I may just be imagining things.

The problem here is, I'm not actually sure it was my analysis that won us the game as opposed to dumb luck :D

What I would love would be a thread about how you deal with specific threats. Analysing the threat and explaining why you chose to deal with the threat in the manner you did. The same with taking advantage of weaknesses. That would be a lot of work and not something I can expect anybody to do.

Still, top thread! A reference really.

This is an extremely useful thread! So big :thup:

Although, applying this I'm on my best unbeaten run with LFC (just beat City at Etihad :D) there are things that still bug me. Your post about how to deal with specific threads is gold and helps immensely. Still, I cannot shed the feeling that I'm absolutely clueless.

I mean, I think I can discern possible threats and weaknesses, but I'm absolutely at a loss when it comes to dealing with that information.

In the City game I found it difficult to Identify one specific strength or weakness. I more or less went into the game thinking the quality of the opposing team would see me lose regardless of what I did. What I had noticed using the reports and looking back at the previous game was how they like to employ a 4-2-3-1 without wingers. So I switched from my usual 4-3-3 formation to a 3-5-2 formation with 3 central defenders, 2 wingbacks, a DM, two CMs and to STCs. I use zonal marking with that formation, but decided that their fullbacks needed to be dealt with so I set my two STCs to man-mark them. I decided that the more cautious Counter strategy would be preferable to my usual Attacking strategy and I managed to nullify their threats.

As you can imagine Borini and Suarez (the STCs) were dragged wildly out of position, but I'm not sure that actually hurt their game in this instance. It seems to me the City defenders had difficulty reading their runs as they made them from unusual positions.

I may just be imagining things.

The problem here is, I'm not actually sure it was my analysis that won us the game as opposed to dumb luck :D

What I would love would be a thread about how you deal with specific threats. Analysing the threat and explaining why you chose to deal with the threat in the manner you did. The same with taking advantage of weaknesses. That would be a lot of work and not something I can expect anybody to do.

Still, top thread! A reference really.

With Suarez and Borini in particular - given they can both play across the front three positions, and given Suarez is the stand out player and the most likely to be specifically dealt with by AI managers (they like forcing him wide I have found) having them swap positions in a 433 (41221) gives Suarez in particular a distinct boost in performance. This doesn't work so well for Borini - because he is the type of player that becomes more effective the closer to goal he plays.

The other specific tactic that works well with LFC is how you play Skrtel and Agger. Against 4231 formations with good attackers, particularly Spurs for example, it often helps to get Skrtel to specifically man mark the ST (say Adebayor) and put Agger on cover - but importantly Agger has to play on the side where the best winger plays. For Spurs this would be Bale, so Agger should notionally start from the DCR position - so he is in a better starting position when Bale inevitably starts skinning Johnson/Kelly. When the opposition right winger is stronger you swap Agger and Skrtel positionally but maintain their roles. And the last specific comment - if you think you are going to be up against a strong aerial team, swap Agger for Coates.

Thanks for the tip Cyderman :thup:

Lam, you mention that star ratings in FM12 are not in relation to your own team, haven't that changed in FM13? It seems to me it depends a lot on the quality of your team. With my East Stirling save I get a lot of teams with a lot of 5-star ratings. Good thing here is anyone with less than 5 stars are to be considered a weak spot :D

In that save I've been using this a lot along with the 12 tips thread and have so far managed to work my way into the SD3 Promotion Playoff spots. Still a long way to go, but with a team that was supposed to finish dead last according to all the predictions I have to say I'm mightily chuffed :D

Hopefully saying that won't be the kiss of death :D

Archived