Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lloyd Jones on the bench is scary, played football in my garden with him about 10 years ago! Would be delighted to see him make his debut.
He's played well in the youth reserve team of late, good to see that rewarded so quickly.

Sturridge is by far the most egotistical, unprofessional non-team player we've had for years. Everything he touched yesterday went to ****. Mainly down to him being an average footballer, but more to him not laying it off to players in a better position to score. You could tell he wanted to be 'the man' and win the derby. Problem is Daniel, you're not good enough. Coutinho should refuse to pass to him and Brednan give him a good dressing down.

What you think about him now? ;)

Coates was really solid defensively that half but he seems very hoof happy which is why I assume Rodgers hasn't given him that many first team games.

Coutinho not had any impact on the game after his shot, hope he can get on the ball a bit more in this half. Hoping for some Suso and Coady minutes towards the end too.

if his point is that Sturridge's play isn't perfect, then yes. but i'll take 10 goals and 4 assists in 13 games thanks, if he can do that over 38 next season, i'll let him off the odd bad choice.

if he still thinks he's an average footballer he's an idiot (well he is regardless but yeah)

if his point is that Sturridge's play isn't perfect, then yes. but i'll take 10 goals and 4 assists in 13 games thanks, if he can do that over 38 next season, i'll let him off the odd bad choice.

if he still thinks he's an average footballer he's an idiot (well he is regardless but yeah)

The point was that Sturridge is selfish, sometimes to the detriment of the team, not its benefit. Hard to argue against that. He's very good, yes. But if we don't win this now it's squarely on his shoulders.

It's a major flaw. He's already cost two points from the Derby for not simply laying off a pass for a tap in on two occasions. Now he's done it this game. If Fulham get an equaliser now, it's his fault for not laying it off for a tap in.

The point was that Sturridge is selfish, sometimes to the detriment of the team, not its benefit. Hard to argue against that. He's very good, yes. But if we don't win this now it's squarely on his shoulders.

"Everything he touched yesterday went to ****. Mainly down to him being an average footballer, but more to him not laying it off to players in a better position to score. You could tell he wanted to be 'the man' and win the derby. Problem is Daniel, you're not good enough. Coutinho should refuse to pass to him and Brednan give him a good dressing down."

The idea that he is an average football, or that he just wants to be 'the man' and win the derby (cos no other striker ever has been selfish when they get in the box) is ridiculous. He is selfish at times?, yes sure, has he still been fantastic since he's been with us? absolutely. It's hard to take SSN's one decent point seriously when it's followed by such rubbish. 10 goals in 13 games not good enough now?

And yeah, Borini looks great right now

sorry, 11 in 13 goals.

Valid correction then. My thought on his point was as mentioned earlier - he's definitely not average imo but nor would I say he's always acting in the best interests of the team.

By jesus Coutinho is good.

"Everything he touched yesterday went to ****. Mainly down to him being an average footballer, but more to him not laying it off to players in a better position to score. You could tell he wanted to be 'the man' and win the derby. Problem is Daniel, you're not good enough. Coutinho should refuse to pass to him and Brednan give him a good dressing down."

The idea that he is an average football, or that he just wants to be 'the man' and win the derby (cos no other striker ever has been selfish when they get in the box) is ridiculous. He is selfish at times?, yes sure, has he still been fantastic since he's been with us? absolutely. It's hard to take SSN's one decent point seriously when it's followed by such rubbish. 10 goals in 13 games not good enough now?

And yeah, Borini looks great right now

Look, it's alright you using stats about him scoring against some guff teams after he's knocked in a few, but when it matters, or when we really need him to shine as a great leader up front, he doesn't perform as he should. It's always about him and trying to grab the headlines. If there's a small chance he can score, he'll rather do that than lay it off to someone whos in a better position.

He has scored so much goals in his short period of time and people are criticising Sturridge. Yes he is selfish but Suarez is himself. You have a player who has taken over since Suarez got the ban and that is what good teams need. Feel privileged :thup:

so is he still an average footballer in your opinion? no one here is arguing he isn't selfish, or doesn't need to change that part of his game, I'm sure BR will get control of that in the long run, the rest of his game has just been brilliant. His ball control, speed and finishing mean he's still a great asset to our team, regardless of his selfishness.

He has scored so much goals in his short period of time and people are criticising Sturridge. Yes he is selfish but Suarez is himself. You have a player who has taken over since Suarez got the ban and that is what good teams need. Feel privileged :thup:

is a bit of a difference due to Suarez basically playing a season and a half with no support, where he had to be selfish, bit different now under BR but think Luis has been changing his game a bit in relation to that. Can't say i'm worried about either Luis or Sturridge in this regard, it'll change in time.

He can be as selfish as he wants at this rate of goals. His goal to game ratio over the course of a season would lead to 30 league goals! (speaking hypothetically of course).

FWIW I think his all round ability is actually as good as Suarez, who is equally as selfish (generally with dribbling, rather than finishing though).

Sturridge was brought up because he scored, by others. Didn't bring him up during his appalling performances against Everton, Reading, West Ham and Villa though.

People don't really bring it up when Suarez has bad games either. Which he has a lot more often than most people want to admit.

Sturridge is a top footballer. His technique, speed of feet, first touch, pace are all top draw. His finishing is fairly good, so is his passing. When he gets his head up he can pick out some lovely balls out wide and switches the play quite intelligently. I don't think he's a better player but I think he works as our number 9 better than Suarez. He has a significant pace edge over Luis and technique edge to make the ball stick in in the final third a bit better. In terms of raw talent you're mental if you don't think he's a special footballer.

Two flaws: inconsistency and single-mindedness. The latter I think is something we need to work on, 100% agree. But I think people are being slightly hypocritical when they bury him for it when our star player is equally selfish/single-minded. His inconsistency is born from the team inconsistency imo. In the second half of the season the pace of Sturridge, the vision of Coutinho and the lungs of Henderson have been top notch away from home. Breaking down teams in at home though has been a bit of a problem at times. We need another 'guile' player imo, Sturridge isn't the problem.

RESULTS COMPARISON CHART 2012/13

Reading = Bolton
Southampton = Blackburn
West Ham = Wolves

Points		
				Last season	This season 	Diff  Now  Last
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18/08/2012 West Brom v Liverpool        W 0-2           L 3-0 		-3	
26/08/2012 Liverpool v Man City         D 1-1           D 2-2 		-3	
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02/09/2012 Liverpool v Arsenal          L 1-2           L 0-2           -3
15/09/2012 Sunderland v Liverpool       L 1-0           D 1-1           -2
23/09/2012 Liverpool v Man Utd          D 1-1           L 1-2           -3
29/09/2012 Norwich v Liverpool          W 0-3           W 2-5           -3
06/10/2012 Liverpool v Stoke            D 0-0           D 0-0           -3   
20/10/2012 Liverpool v Reading          W 3-1           W 1-0           -3
27/10/2012 Everton v Liverpool          W 0-2           D 2-2           -5
04/11/2012 Liverpool v Newcastle        W 3-1           D 1-1           -7
11/11/2012 Chelsea v Liverpool          W 1-2           D 1-1           -9
17/11/2012 Liverpool v Wigan            L 1-2           W 3-0           -6
24/11/2012 Swansea v Liverpool          L 0-1           D 0-0           -5
28/11/2012 Tottenham v Liverpool        L 4-0           L 2-1           -5
01/12/2012 Liverpool v Southampton      D 1-1           W 1-0           -3
08/12/2012 West Ham v Liverpool        	W 0-3           W 2-3           -3
15/12/2012 Liverpool v Aston Villa     	D 1-1           L 1-3           -4
22/12/2012 Liverpool v Fulham           L 0-1           W 4-0           -1
26/12/2012 Stoke v Liverpool            L 1-0           L 3-1           -1
29/12/2012 QPR v Liverpool             	L 3-2           W 0-3           +2
01/01/2013 Liverpool v Sunderland       D 1-1           W 3-0           +4
12/01/2013 Man Utd v Liverpool          L 2-1           L 2-1           +4
19/01/2013 Liverpool v Norwich          D 1-1           W 5-0           +6 
30/01/2013 Arsenal v Liverpool          W 0-2           D 2-2           +4 
02/02/2013 Man City v Liverpool         L 3-0           D 2-2           +5
09/02/2013 Liverpool v West Brom        L 0-1           L 0-2           +5    
23/02/2013 Liverpool v Swansea         	D 0-0           W 5-0           +7
02/03/2013 Wigan v Liverpool           	D 0-0           W 0-4           +9   42   42 
09/03/2013 Liverpool v Tottenham        D 0-0           W 3-2           +11  45   42
16/03/2013 Southampton v Liverpool      W 2-3           L 3-1           +8   45   42
30/03/2013 Aston Villa v Liverpool      W 0-2           W 1-2           +8   48   42
06/04/2013 Liverpool v West Ham        	W 2-1           D 0-0           +6   49   43
13/04/2013 Reading v Liverpool          L 3-1           D 0-0           +7   50   46
20/04/2013 Liverpool v Chelsea          W 4-1           D 2-2           +5   51   46
27/04/2013 Newcastle v Liverpool        L 1-2           W 0-6           +8   54   49
04/05/2013 Liverpool v Everton          W 3-0           D 0-0           +6   55   49
12/05/2013 Fulham v Liverpool           L 1-0           W 1-3           +9   58   52
19/05/2013 Liverpool v QPR              W 1-0                                     52

I think this is correct and up to date.

Looking good for 61 points. Pretty much back to pre-Hogdson levels of performance. Now let's try and kick on for 70 points next season. 3 more wins doesn't seem such a big jump and would get us sniffing at those Champions League places.

Archived