Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rodgers is doing a good job with what he has available. I can't wait until the end of the season when he can really make the squad his own.

I really don't understand this logic of how he's doing well with what he has. His first day on the job he had the same players Dalglish had last season. He changed a few things and now were a lot worse. His press conferences and talk of his system seem to be buying him a lot of time.

Wisdom is not as good defensively I don't think. I've seen him get turned inside out multiple times (at Goodison vs Mirales really stands out) But that's not really a slight on him. He's 19 and Johnson is our best player this season. We need another proper full back. Said it at the start of the season and still think it now.

I really don't understand this logic of how he's doing well with what he has. His first day on the job he had the same players Dalglish had last season. He changed a few things and now were a lot worse. His press conferences and talk of his system seem to be buying him a lot of time.

If we even consider sacking him then we are truely ****ed. There are no quick fixes. The people who want one need to pull their head out the sand.

i'm not sure about a lot worse. i can say that under BR i actually understand what the players are trying to do on the pitch. there were times under kenny when it wasn't clear what exactly it was we were trying to do.

and i'm sure by now you've heard the argument of turning playing style around and having to contend with players that may or not fit that. so i won't bore you with it. suffice to say, if he brings in players he wants and we still are not winning, then he will get fans on the back of him.

Learn football you tard.

he was brought in knowing we would change the system, and not given the funds to do it fully (nevermind what happened with Carroll going and no Dempsey or anyone else). that means we've got rid of some who only fitted the old system or under performed (Carroll, Adam) but not others yet (Downing), and not fully replaced them. hardly surprising that a team will dip during a transition period. hopefully come end of jan we'll be moving in the right direction quicker

my main issue with Rodgers is how the midfield 3 are playing, someone needs to be supporting Suarez and we have the personnel to be doing it a lot better than we are.

Lucas back soon hopefully and then Jan signings and then we can see where we are at with that.

the only time we seem to see that is when jonjo comes on.

for me there is often a stark difference in how we are a different team when he comes on.

the only time we seem to see that is when jonjo comes on.

for me there is often a stark difference in how we are a different team when he comes on.

aye exactly, i'd be starting him every game. Henderson, Gerrard and Allen all seem to want to have a DM behind them and an AM infront, and its just leaving gaps everywhere.

i'm not sure about a lot worse. i can say that under BR i actually understand what the players are trying to do on the pitch. there were times under kenny when it wasn't clear what exactly it was we were trying to do.

and i'm sure by now you've heard the argument of turning playing style around and having to contend with players that may or not fit that. so i won't bore you with it. suffice to say, if he brings in players he wants and we still are not winning, then he will get fans on the back of him.

The playing style at the minute is hardly great to be honest is it? The midfield are bypassed on a regular basis. If we didn't have Suarez there would be no creativity what so ever. Tired of passing between Allen, the 2 CBs and Reina and achieving nothing but possession stats.

Learn football you tard.

As always a well considered argument from you. But clearly its acceptable where we are, 4 points off relegation. Im sure our league start has been worse than Hodgsons so far? I might be wrong.

The main reason is an unbalanced fixture list. And it keeps getting skipped over by both pro and con Rodgers fans again and again. The first and third quarters are super tough. It was predictable this would probably happen.

In a vacuum 0-0 at Swansea is not that bad. Neither is losing 2-1 at Spurs where you're on top for 60 minutes.

he was brought in knowing we would change the system, and not given the funds to do it fully (nevermind what happened with Carroll going and no Dempsey or anyone else). that means we've got rid of some who only fitted the old system or under performed (Carroll, Adam) but not others yet (Downing), and not fully replaced them. hardly surprising that a team will dip during a transition period. hopefully come end of jan we'll be moving in the right direction quicker

Dont get me wrong I'm a lot more frustrates with the owners not backing him fully than Rodgers. But even his signings haven't cut it yet. Not the biggest fan of Allen, Assaidi looks ok and the glimpses we have had of Borini look on but nothing special.

Also just to add do you not think there is also a real sense of naivety about the way Rodgers is going about his business? May e forget the system for now, let's be a bit more direct, get some results and as we get players to fit his ideal system make the transition a slow one. Rather than this is now the way we play whether we have the players or not.

I'm sure I read somewhere he did something similar at Reading and it failed there I might be wrong

I like the system he wants to play, but I think he needs to accept that until we got better players in its not working.

Allen is an interesting one. He clearly isn't the DM he's been asked to play as while Lucas is out, but when Lucas is back, well Rodgers seems to prefer the 1-2 in midfield rather than the 2-1, but Allen seems much better suited to sitting back deeper, hasn't really been that impressive in the final 3rd. been a bit underwhelmed with him in general, great at keeping possession but he's not started off enough key attacks for me, however this might well be down to the lack of fluidity in the attacking players around him.

im expecting for them to be somewhere in between and don't really see what your point is.

Point being that I find it funny that fans will be willing to march against the owners who have been upfront from the start in relation to transfer funds. They invested heavily at the start like they said they would, it was poorly invested and now their expected to pump another 50m in. Its not shocking to hear we need to sell before we can buy and I'm afraid we only have Kenny/Commoli to blame for that.

Allen is an interesting one. He clearly isn't the DM he's been asked to play as while Lucas is out, but when Lucas is back, well Rodgers seems to prefer the 1-2 in midfield rather than the 2-1, but Allen seems much better suited to sitting back deeper, hasn't really been that impressive in the final 3rd. been a bit underwhelmed with him in general, great at keeping possession but he's not started off enough key attacks for me, however this might well be down to the lack of fluidity in the attacking players around him.

I'd notice that those are similar remarks to what people said about lucas during most of his first 2 seasons with us.

I thought Allen was great when Lucas was behind him, he was receiving a lot of praise for bossing the midfield if memory serves me right.

i think its more down to the role hes been given. i think lucas behind him would help him out immensely and he did look prety decent for swansea in the CM position moving box to box.

I wouldn't give a **** if we were 1 point from relegation all season as long as we aren't relegated, Rodgers continues to implement his philosophy in to the whole club, the owners back him decently (but not over the top) in transfer windows, we develop good youth talent and we sort the stadium out.

That's how you rebuild a practically destroyed football club from the ground up.

and if he ends up like Lucas then great. but he's also moved from another prem team to play in the same league in the same tactics under the same manager, so would hopefully expect him to fit in quicker. he's also got quite a different style.

my other point would be that he isn't playing badly in the way Lucas did at the beginning, there is no question about his talent, only how he fits in to the system, that's quite different to the remarks people were making about Lucas iirc. Lucas was just plain not up to scratch those first two seasons and then found his niche and became great at it. Allen already has his niche that he is great at, it's a question of is it one we need filling.

Lucas keeps getting brought up as an example of a player turning around his performances and winning over all his critics, but it would be absolutely crazy to expect that of another player based on the criticism's merely being similar.

I thought Allen was great when Lucas was behind him, he was receiving a lot of praise for bossing the midfield if memory serves me right.

aye, including from me, but i think perhaps we were all looking at passing and possession statistics a bit too much and getting misty-eyed at them, rather than looking at the actual impact in terms of chance creation that he provides. i'm not trying to criticise his ability at all, just wondering if someone who offers less in receiving the ball under tight conditions and finding a team mate, but more in terms of key attacking passes or runs/shots on goals, may be more suitable to our style in the long term. i think it will depend massively on who ends up in that other forward CM spot and the relationship that Allen can forge with them. i was expecting Allen to push on from those first few games and start providing those defence splitting balls either to Suarez or the wings, but then Lucas got injured and he ended up further back, hence my interest in how he does when he is back further forwards. hopefully it all goes well

I think Allen is contributing very well to both ball retention when we're on the back foot, and setting up attacking moves going forward. Got no problem with him at all, if he could be a bit tougher in the tackle and keep learning the trade as he will be a top talent.

A lot of our best opportunities are being started by astute decision making from him.

aye, including from me, but i think perhaps we were all looking at passing and possession statistics a bit too much and getting misty-eyed at them, rather than looking at the actual impact in terms of chance creation that he provides. i'm not trying to criticise his ability at all, just wondering if someone who offers less in receiving the ball under tight conditions and finding a team mate, but more in terms of key attacking passes or runs/shots on goals, may be more suitable to our style in the long term. i think it will depend massively on who ends up in that other forward CM spot and the relationship that Allen can forge with them. i was expecting Allen to push on from those first few games and start providing those defence splitting balls either to Suarez or the wings, but then Lucas got injured and he ended up further back, hence my interest in how he does when he is back further forwards. hopefully it all goes well

At the minute, I think its more his role in the team which is limiting what he can and can't do. I can remember him committing himself more to certain 50/50 tackles knowing he had cover. He wasn't exactly playing killer passes but setting up more attacks than just trying to find the player in front of him. I think his role atm is just restricting him which he has struggled to adapt to. Suppose the real proof will be when we have Lucas back and he's just mentioned on his twitter that he might be back for the weekend.

Well **** me Pepe Reina, he should be ****ing lynched for that. Swerve yes, no excuse for moving out of the way completely!
just watching MOTD and and there was no deflection for the 2nd goal, terrible from reina imo. downing was poor too for the first but he's not a left back

now i am probably a reina apologist 9though this season i have called him out). but isn't the initial move of the ball as if it will go over the wall and into the side the wall is meant to defend? in which case you want him to move in that direction?

At the minute, I think its more his role in the team which is limiting what he can and can't do. I can remember him committing himself more to certain 50/50 tackles knowing he had cover. He wasn't exactly playing killer passes but setting up more attacks than just trying to find the player in front of him. I think his role atm is just restricting him which he has struggled to adapt to. Suppose the real proof will be when we have Lucas back and he's just mentioned on his twitter that he might be back for the weekend.

oh yeah agree with all of that. pretty much me trying to remember what he was like pre Lucas injury and at Swansea and how he might fit in, and obviously that wasnt many games for us. Still very excited about him, if just a bit hesitant.

Easily the most reasoned and honest opinion I've heard from a Liverpool fan in months.

Well done sir

on allen, i firmly believe that the role is the problem. didn't BR himself allude in that one interview (redman or something) that he plays him there because at the moment he is the only player who knows his system?

i look at thi steam and think if he can get a top finish with this team it is actually a result. it sets a very strong base for the club to build on. in the summer he can strengthen and he will know that he has young players he can trust to perform. if you are building a team over a 3-5 year horizon, for me this is actually a good place to be. obviously you want to get to rest someone like sterling so he isn't burdened.

but you bring in say 1 name in Jan and 2-3 in the summer, then you have a chance of persuading the senior players the club is moving in the right direction. quite clearly i think the club is walking in it's most difficult path since probably relegation.

now i am probably a reina apologist 9though this season i have called him out). but isn't the initial move of the ball as if it will go over the wall and into the side the wall is meant to defend? in which case you want him to move in that direction?

no his reaction was poor, he should be keeping an eye on the ball. it went dead centre of the goal.

Easily the most reasoned and honest opinion I've heard from a Liverpool fan in months.

Well done sir

sure if you ignore the cicumstances. it's like trying to convert a rally car into an F1 one but being told you're only allowed the engine now, the wheels in jan, and the body next summer. you're gonna struggle in the mean time.

no his reaction was poor, he should be keeping an eye on the ball. it went dead centre of the goal.

no sorry. by the time it is going over the wall. it looks like it is going to his left. and he is moving across to that side then it swerves to the other side.

he has been poor. but that swerve does him. which is why i initially thought it was a deflection.

Archived