2013 Primary Focus - Match Engine

If I can put the series as a whole right now I would say it's a case of substance over quality with regards to what they are offering over a yearly release, just doesn't warrant the £30 price.

When I spoke of the 2 yearly release that was when they had major changes, not the yearly update versions they released in between. The early days in my view were better with regards to design and what was on offer.

It's so bogged down with irrelevant data applications it's made the game to daunting to be considered fun.

Did not buy 2012 but have had a go on brothers pc and wasn't impressed with the difference with FM11 and my brother went back to 2011 as 2012 was not enjoyable enough.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I can put the series as a whole right now I would say it's a case of substance over quality with regards to what they are offering over a yearly release, just doesn't warrant the £30 price.

I really can't believe anyone is complaining about an annual release at £30.

Lets be honest for £30 FM offers more value for money then 99% of games on the market many of which are more expensive.

How many hours do you play FM in a year? I regularly clock up over 1000 which makes it less than 3p an hour. Virtually any other activity will cost you more than that.

In fact I know a lot of people who could easily spend that in a pub on a weekday evening never mind a weekend.

At the end of the day you're not even forced to buy every version, you can easily choose to skip versions.

I really can't believe anyone is complaining about an annual release at £30.

Lets be honest for £30 FM offers more value for money then 99% of games on the market many of which are more expensive.

Compared with other games, yes, £30 is good value for money.

However, compared with other games in the series, is £30 good value for money?

i.e. Instead of buying the latest iteration, is it better value for money to stick with the older version?

Stating £30 as "good value for money" compared with the rest of the market only makes sense if I had to choose FM 2013 against another game. However, I have two options - stick with an old version of FM, or purchase the new one. And essentially, since the series has barely moved in 2 years, is it really worth it to upgrade?

See, that's the problem - people unwilling to give the new iterations the time they deserve are usually those who complain about there not being enough difference. How much difference do you expect to notice in a 6 month demo or a few hours of play?

How is FM12 less enjoyable than FM11, for example?

See, that's the problem - people unwilling to give the new iterations the time they deserve are usually those who complain about there not being enough difference. How much difference do you expect to notice in a 6 month demo or a few hours of play?
A lot? 6 months of development should produce more than one major feature a year.

If a demo or its cover can't pique peoples' interest, then they aren't going to give the new iterations time. "Buy it first, you will eventually love it" doesn't wash with some people, thankfully.

If a game doesn't make me go "wow" on its cover, then I'm not buying it. I'm sure that applies to many others. Do I need to buy it and give it time "that it deserves"? heck no. You oversell and underdeliver. If something lacks a "wow" factor, then it is likely worse once you get into it (the joys of marketing).

Let's not forget - you always have the option of sticking with that other long-term save you have in the background. Just with a different version of the game.

Compared with other games, yes, £30 is good value for money.

However, compared with other games in the series, is £30 good value for money?

i.e. Instead of buying the latest iteration, is it better value for money to stick with the older version?

Stating £30 as "good value for money" compared with the rest of the market only makes sense if I had to choose FM 2013 against another game. However, I have two options - stick with an old version of FM, or purchase the new one. And essentially, since the series has barely moved in 2 years, is it really worth it to upgrade?

But the fact still remains that all this comes down to personal choice and decision, if you try the demo and feel the game has't changed much from previous versions to merit a purchase but then go buy the game anyway already knowing what changes are there but then decide your not happy then end of day thats your fault

This argument crops up just about every year and its crazy, Dont buy the game if you dont think its worth it, why is this nt a simple choice ?? plus and this is arrelivent but fm no diffrent to any other of the top games ie fifa cod etc, they dont change significantly year in year out but still sell

just to go with what Ackter says as well x42bn6 nearly every thread you comment in just seems to desend's into you throwing big words about to try justify your point on why you see fm to be a bad game

So obvious cosmetic changes are what's important to you?

I figured things that were constantly being tuned and improved each year, such as the newgen system, where what mattered to you, but of course it could simply be that you're setting yourself up for an argument like you usually do in threads.

So what is it? Are the newgen changes more important, changes you can only notice with serious long term play, changes with which you've posted about at length many, many times - or are the cosmetic "wow" changes more important to you now that it suits your argument?

x42bn6 -

How would you know, you havent bought the game for two years now? You really are one of the best trolls on here, hats off mate.

I gave FM10 several days worth of game time, and in the end found it really boring and went back to my FM08 save.

I know FM11 and FM12 haven't introduced too many new features over FM10, so logically, they aren't that different to FM10.

I simply lack a compelling reason to purchase FM12.

Is that "trolling"? No, that's "not purchasing a product without thinking about it first". I think that's good consumer sense, if anything.

There are two things that must be improved for FM to take a leap forward:

1. Team defending - all 22 players on the pitch must be aware of where the ball is at any given time. Right now all it takes to score a goal is for a fast player to dribble past one man and then all the other defenders are at a disadvantage because they have already reacted too late.

2. The team instruction Width - this instruction should not cause there to be wide gaps between the defenders which the strikers of the opposition can leisurely jog in between. Right now the central line from which the width instruction increase the radius both left and right is the centre of the pitch, while in real life this line is of course where the ball is. No wonder there are extreme amounts of space for everyone to run in when both teams are spread over the whole pitch no matter where the ball is - if both play wide... and no wonder those who play narrowly defend better.

OP's in luck SI have said they have pushed the current ME as far as it will go and FM13 will have a new one.

As for whether recent versions have offered enough new features, I think CM\FM has had very few releases which fundamentally altered the game and many more that built on last years game FM09 was a big leap forward followed by three refinements. Before that CM4 was a big step that was worked on until FM09. Newgen player generation templates, DLR, in game league addition are all bigger features then I can remember CM4 to FM08 introducing.

Really? Where has that been said?

PaulC has definitely said a new engine is being worked on, but he said he wasn't sure if it would be in FM13 or not yet. Has he since confirmed it is now going to be in FM13?

Is that "trolling"? No, that's "not purchasing a product without thinking about it first". I think that's good consumer sense, if anything.

Thats fairenough but why dose it seem you go to such lengths with big fancy post to try put people of fm12 when in reality you have't really a clue about the game due to not really playing it

I gave FM10 several days worth of game time, and in the end found it really boring and went back to my FM08 save.

I know FM11 and FM12 haven't introduced too many new features over FM10, so logically, they aren't that different to FM10.

I saw a big difference between FM10 & FM11 and again between FM11 & FM12. Given that you are playing FM08 which doesn't have the 3d match viewer I would say you should see a massive difference if you played FM11 or 12.

If you dont have the game stop speaking about it, you have no real idea what the game is like, your playing a version 4 years old, a lot has changed since even 10.

Your a great troll because you should have nothing to add about FM12, and FM13 because you wont buy it, but you love nothing more than jumping on the "sort it out SI" bandwagon. Usually your arguing semantics that have very little to do with the subject of a thread, in this case your just arguing for the sake of getting involved, this will go round in circles before long with you repeating the same point over and over just worded differently.

I saw a big difference between FM10 & FM11 and again between FM11 & FM12. Given that you are playing FM08 which doesn't have the 3d match viewer I would say you should see a massive difference if you played FM11 or 12.

FM10 to FM11 is the biggest change I've noticed in the series since about 2006-2007. I barely put more than a few weeks of play into FM10. In FM11 my save time is actually scary. My FM12 play time is suffering badly due to too many console games being released that I want to play, but even that's already got more play time than FM10 ever did.

But the fact still remains that all this comes down to personal choice and decision, if you try the demo and feel the game has't changed much from previous versions to merit a purchase but then go buy the game anyway already knowing what changes are there but then decide your not happy then end of day thats your fault

I just take it one step further and not bother with the demo if there isn't anything compelling on the cover.

This argument crops up just about every year and its crazy, Dont buy the game if you dont think its worth it, why is this nt a simple choice ?? plus and this is arrelivent but fm no diffrent to any other of the top games ie fifa cod etc, they dont change significantly year in year out but still sell
I don't purchase these either. I think they are poor value for money. And you could possibly lump FM in there too at this rate.
So obvious cosmetic changes are what's important to you?

It doesn't have to be cosmetic, but it has to be obvious. Things like "a revamped match engine" or "entirely new interaction system" might be interesting. Things like adding more team-talk options, however, isn't anything major. For the match engine, it might not be obvious at first, but is still measurable.

I figured things that were constantly being tuned and improved each year, such as the newgen system, where what mattered to you, but of course it could simply be that you're setting yourself up for an argument like you usually do in threads.

I don't think it's worth the purchase, though. Regens have been a work-in-progress since forever.

So what is it? Are the newgen changes more important, changes you can only notice with serious long term play, changes with which you've posted about at length many, many times - or are the cosmetic "wow" changes more important to you now that it suits your argument?

It's both. Cosmetic changes (i.e. a revamp of interaction in general), and "latent" changes (i.e. fixing the regen system properly) that matters to me. It's not choosing between the two (false dilemma) - it's both.

Both can produce "wow" reactions.

I can only remember two 'wow' factor features ever being announced in the history of CM/FM, the match engine introduced on CM4 & the 3D viewer for FM2009, every other feature in the game has been evolutionary & when taken outside the context of the game have never sounded that amazing.

The sum of its parts & all that.

Thats fairenough but why dose it seem you go to such lengths with big fancy post to try put people of fm12 when in reality you have't really a clue about the game due to not really playing it

I'm sorry if I didn't hold their hands. I really am.

If people are put off by FM12 because of my posts, then so be it. You may as well close the bugs forum in that case.

I played 2D in FM10. I never liked 3D. Half the time the flaws in the match-engine only became more apparent.

If you dont have the game stop speaking about it, you have no real idea what the game is like, your playing a version 4 years old, a lot has changed since even 10.

DLR and add/remove leagues, with the obligatory improvements, doesn't add up to a lot of change.

Your a great troll because you should have nothing to add about FM12, and FM13 because you wont buy it, but you love nothing more than jumping on the "sort it out SI" bandwagon. Usually your arguing semantics that have very little to do with the subject of a thread, in this case your just arguing for the sake of getting involved, this will go round in circles before long with you repeating the same point over and over just worded differently.

On the contrary, I will consider purchasing FM13 if it has a "wow" factor. I never said I wouldn't purchase FM13.

It has to be good enough for me to abandon my long-term FM08 save (where I am approaching 2100) to warrant a £30 purchase.

FM08, to me, has been extraordinary value for money. Consequently, FM13 has to be extraordinary value for money for me to purchase it.

----

If you want the series to improve, you have to impart criticism.

"Buy it every two years" has been stated several times over the years - why does that not get critique?

I'm sorry I'm wary of purchasing a piece of software and then letting it collect dust. If SI want customers' money, they have to work for it. Anything that makes them work harder is good for your money and everyone else's.

Bending over, however, isn't.

I'm sorry if I didn't hold their hands. I really am.

If people are put off by FM12 because of my posts, then so be it. You may as well close the bugs forum in that case.

I played 2D in FM10. I never liked 3D. Half the time the flaws in the match-engine only became more apparent.

People who post in the bugs forum have obviously played the game properly hence how they have found a bug or why would they be posting in there ???

you on the other hand have't played the game properly or even played it at all yet seem to be a expert on its pro's and cons

People who post in the bugs forum have obviously played the game properly hence how they have found a bug or why would they be posting in there ???

you on the other hand have't played the game properly or even played it at all yet seem to be a expert on its pro's and cons

I'm not an expert on pros and cons. I just don't see how it's worth value for money, compared with previous versions.

Nevertheless, I am in a bizarre paradox where I am being criticised for wanting the series to improve!

I'm not an expert on pros and cons. I just don't see how it's worth value for money, compared with previous versions.

But you know this how ?? oh wait because of what's on the front of the box or whats posted in the bugs forum :rolleyes:

This game needs to have a way better engine. This is at the very center of the game, as you get to see how all your changes affect the team.

The engine has to be able to scale down to the lower end systems, but go very high for the PCs that can handle it. I also find the camera angles very limited and I miss the 1 person cam or 3 person cam of the player(s) of my choosing.

The FIFA games have introduced physics and I certainly wouldn't mind that.

We're in 2012 and if we have better graphics more people will play. The core game in terms of everything outside of the actual match is solid and only needs minor twitches for 2013.

Nevertheless, I am in a bizarre paradox where I am being criticised for wanting the series to improve!

Everyone here wants the series to constantly improve year on year its just that a lot of the improvements don't have the "Wow" factor you seem to want.

We see lots of improvements every version its just many of them are minor but when added together I personally feel give excellent value for money. Some users would even be happy just to pay for updated squads & league tables without anything else.

At the end of the day FM is about football management and there are limits to what SI can change/add after this many editions of the series, its mostly about refining/improving. Finding additions that also have your "Wow" factor are even rarer and only come along every few years.

How is FM12 less enjoyable than FM11, for example?

You don't get time to get the full aspects for each release as the patch is end of Jan for final bug ridden removement and then 9 months later the new version is out.

My brothers experience with 12 was less enjoyable because of the working restraints with regards to procedures and tasks to be expected with being a manager, in lamens terms the game is becoming to heavy for fun gaming.

As with regards to the £30, yes it is a lot for a game which has fixed the bugs like the match engine from the previous release and a few applications that don't appeal to the masses.

Even the Daily Mirror review stated that SI needed to up the ante for this years release because there isn't much to shout about.

The game is not progressing to the level you use to get, that's what I find disheartening about FM and I have been a fan since 1992 on the original concept.

If anything, FM12 made it easier to deal with the stuff that FM11 introduced (the heavy stuff you're thinking of).

The game is progressing faster than it used to, but that progression is spread out over a much larger game than it used to be.

You don't get time to get the full aspects for each release as the patch is end of Jan for final bug ridden removement and then 9 months later the new version is out.

If you don't like to play till final patch, buy the game when the final patch comes out, therefore you still get the same amount of time as you would if you bought it on release day every year.

Personally, i am sorry first of all x42bn6 if i didnt respect your philosophy,i bought the game because i have faith in si, in a way that they always improve over the years. I heavily doubt anyone cares or reads what is written in the forum,i think as any other,this project fm12, is predetermined-prescheduled, but i wrote my notes in the official feedback thread and i will wait for the next patch and all the improvements. and this is all.

keep it simple

My brothers experience with 12 was less enjoyable because of the working restraints with regards to procedures and tasks to be expected with being a manager, in lamens terms the game is becoming to heavy for fun gaming.

As with regards to the £30, yes it is a lot for a game which has fixed the bugs like the match engine from the previous release and a few applications that don't appeal to the masses.

Even the Daily Mirror review stated that SI needed to up the ante for this years release because there isn't much to shout about.

The game is not progressing to the level you use to get, that's what I find disheartening about FM and I have been a fan since 1992 on the original concept.

If you stick to the buy after third patch way of thinking you get as much time with the game as the people who buy it on release day.

"A few applications that dont appeal to the masses" - Strange thing to say considering the sales the game takes in, and the fact the main protestors are a minority of forum users. (Yes i know xb will come and tell me you can take the opinion of China based on 3 people living in a remote village somewhere)

So we are now relying on Xb ( who doesnt play the game) and the Daily Mirror...................

There are two things that must be improved for FM to take a leap forward:

1. Team defending - all 22 players on the pitch must be aware of where the ball is at any given time. Right now all it takes to score a goal is for a fast player to dribble past one man and then all the other defenders are at a disadvantage because they have already reacted too late.

2. The team instruction Width - this instruction should not cause there to be wide gaps between the defenders which the strikers of the opposition can leisurely jog in between. Right now the central line from which the width instruction increase the radius both left and right is the centre of the pitch, while in real life this line is of course where the ball is. No wonder there are extreme amounts of space for everyone to run in when both teams are spread over the whole pitch no matter where the ball is - if both play wide... and no wonder those who play narrowly defend better.

Brilliant post!

+ Goalkeepers kicking the ball towards small forward when big/strong forward is next to him

+ Goalkeepers kicking the ball towards small forward when counter attack is ticked even though they are set to defender collect

+ Powerful forwards unable too hold on to ball when under pressure

+ Players too often shooting/crossing/passing with weaker foot even they are not two footed

+ Long kick trajectory

+ Players blasting long shots too often / long shots too often result in corner

+ Players delaying cross when free and box is full of attacking players

+ Players delaying cross/pass when on counter attack until it's too late or they have reached near post

+ Players delaying any action (freezing) and/or turning their beck toward opposition player when less two passing options are available

+ Marking during corner/trow in

+ Attacking players not defending adequately in certain formations (4-2-3-1, 4-3-3)

+ Inability to instruct players to risk in attacking phase of play but retreat and/or act very conservative and cautious when defending (attacking mentality with ball, defensive without)

+ Players often acting like mindless chickens: colliding with teammates, interrupting teammates run, being en mass unaware where is the ball and being en mass unaware of incoming ball (especially noticeable on corners)...

+ Lack of quick fouls in opposition half to prevent a counter

+ Teams don't loose shape (formation disintegration) toward half time and/or full time as a result of exhaustion or lack of discipline

+...

No, that's "not purchasing a product without thinking about it first". I think that's good consumer sense, if anything.

I thought people who spent hour after hour on Doctor Who forums saying how much they hate the programme were wasting their time, but spending dozens, perhaps hundreds of hours complaining about a computer game you haven't played. That is the funniest thing I've come across for months!

The most futile activity I've ever come across. Apart, possibly from rising to arguing with someone who does that. Wonderful. That has really made my day.

And I for one will never, ever be drawn into arguing with someone who so obviously doesn't know what they are talking about!

For once "laughing out loud" is literally true.

• SI Staff

Here is the situation.

Yes, elements of the Match Engine are due an overhaul. We have started on this behind the scenes and things will be ready when they are ready. We feel the ME that you have in 12.1 is pretty balanced and stable which that buys us time to work on something better for a future release while you have something enjoyable to play in the meantime. We won't be rushed on this, as its too important to the future of FM.

Its also worthwhile separating the ME AI and the graphical side ie 3D. Think of them as separate entities that work together. Its entirely possible that one might have improvements in a future release before the other. For example in 12 we improved the visual side but left the ME 99% alone.

The most important thing is that we are always working to improve both areas, and the excellent feedback from threads like this is very much welcome :)

Here is the situation.

Yes, elements of the Match Engine are due an overhaul. We have started on this behind the scenes and things will be ready when they are ready. We feel the ME that you have in 12.1 is pretty balanced and stable which that buys us time to work on something better for a future release while you have something enjoyable to play in the meantime. We won't be rushed on this, as its too important to the future of FM.

Its also worthwhile separating the ME AI and the graphical side ie 3D. Think of them as separate entities that work together. Its entirely possible that one might have improvements in a future release before the other. For example in 12 we improved the visual side but left the ME 99% alone.

The most important thing is that we are always working to improve both areas, and the excellent feedback from threads like this is very much welcome :)

I agree that its a very adequate match engine and it does do the job. But why dont goalkeepers make contact with outfield players to give away freekicks and penalties? Is this something that just isn't possible on the current match engine?

I agree Govnar, and, I believe your instructions shouldn't even cover some of these things. I mean, a winger who has ran down the wing and has attacking options in the box should just put a cross in! That's recognised worldwide at any level! Unless you instruct him NOT to cross the ball. If I have my winger on cross ball often then that's what I want him to do, not stand there like an idiot waiting to get tackled. There are so many other things in the game that work like this but I just can not be bothered to go on about them. I hope the ME and tactics which relate to it does have a massive overhaul, I'll be honest, that's all I want in the next version, I'm happy with pretty much all other aspects of the game.

Here is the situation.

For me the part I highlighted is quite possibly key to why people are starting to question the annual release model, can you imagine the uproar if FM13 is announced with the same match engine we have today which is in essence the 11.3 engine?

I would like to think that everyone appreciates how difficult it is to create an ever more realistic match engine & thanks to past successes SI more than many other dev teams can bank on a good amount of patience from the fanbase. What will try that patience is if that fanbase starts to question whether the product being released really is new or just minor update of the last version that has been rushed out to meet the release cycle deadline defined by people outside the team.

I for one look forward to seeing where this game can go next & I would much prefer waiting until April 2013 rather than have FM13 come out in November 2012 with a clone of 11.3 doing the ME or the AI still having the same problems of long term squad management & then waiting another year for a true next step.

Edit: btw, using the phrase 'buys us time...' is a poor choice of words considering the directions that this thread went in, what you said could be reasonably taken as a "well they'll buy it so long as we call it something different" statement, to borrow from Hollywood "What's new about ENCOM OS12 is that we put a 12 on the box".

I'm 100% certain this is not what you meant or how you wanted it to be perceived but it might illustrate to people why there are some folk on the boards wondering if the annual release is the best way forward.

A new ME would be great. I'l still buy 1 with out a new ME, but i see no reason for that not to be main focus of 13. We have had the same ME for many years and it really is shwing its ag e. I mean sure we're not in the old diablo tactic days but there is lots that needs to be improved.

I think what most people want from the match engine is seamless integration with the 3d view and better defensive AI.

Defenders right now are simulated well on lower levels but the best defenders are still running around like headless chickens, you cant set multiple people to close down at once (barcelona style) and defender's reactions overall are very slow causing fast defenders to play unrealistically well.

But if defensive AI is improved then offensive AI needs to be improved as well.

So basically this is what has to be in the match engine of FM 2013

Rewrite the match engine for seamless integration with 3d view, no more things like people passing through each other, ball being glued to feet, defenders walking slowly to the ball so an attacker can run past them and score, etc

Better defensive reactions and awareness for players with very high mental stats (things like terry's goal saving interception should be actually possible in the game)

Allow for pressing by multiple people

Offensive AI should be improved as well to match defensive AI, wingers shouldnt dwell on the ball when they should be putting a cross in (although this is the 3d view integration's fault)

Fix free kicks / Rewrite ball physics

I'm of the exact opposite opinion Metagod. The match engine is good enough for me, I want them to spend all of their time working on the rest of the game :D

You don't watch matches though, so like x42bn you're commenting on the quality of something you don't really use or have much experience of.

A few things I would like to see are GK committing fouls and giving away penalties, more handball claims/decisions in the EPL there is at least one claim for handball every week, do the referees ever play advantage on FM? I haven't noticed it but it is a big part of football that is missing.

few more:

+ Inability to instruct players to get behind ball when defending

+ Inability to instruct players to retreat to own half when defending (negates opposition midfield space and time on ball, helps fast forwards on counter)

+ Inability to set different widths for defense/midfield/attack

+ Lack of struggle for ball in lower/lesser leagues

+ Inability of ME to simulate leagues where teams prefer choppy game-play with lot of small fouls disrupting game flow

+ Inability of ME to differentiate and appropriately use particular and very different qualities of tall players that can't jump high and small player that can jump high when calculating who will win the ball

+ Goalkeepers not sweeping when situation obliviously demands it

+ Far post goals from free kicks happen far too often

+ Lack of goals from certain types of direct free kicks

+ Players to often attempting to get a corner/throw off opposition player

+ Players automatically heading toward their default position after free kick/corner even though their current position is clearly superior

+ ...

* Everything written above and in previous post affects AI far more then human managers as we are able to use all sorts of workarounds. This in combination to poor squad building by AI (inability of AI to recognize players that will complement preferred formation/style and particular skills of already available players) makes game very easy for experienced players.

I'll just be happy if they sort out strikers with top finishing and composures stats and stop them blasting every flipping shot straight at the keeper!

I think strikers score too much as it is, the chances each attacker gets needs to be reduced.

Years ago there use to a 2 yearly release and the difference was major which then you don't mind coughing up the £30 for the game.

I've bought every installment since CM93 and honestly can't recall any 2 year gap between releases off the top of my head (maybe in the CM/FM split period?), there was always at the very least a "new season" release of the game.

Archived