FM12 Tottenham Hotspur Thread- The Best Team In North London

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished my 7th season at Spurs and another very successful campaign again winning the quadrella.

Heading into the off-season I had a few tough decisions to make with regards to a few aging stars, namely Modric, Bassong, Cissokho & Cavani.

* Cavani - will turn 32 this season and only needs 29 league goals to beat the club record of 220, so kept him with that in mind. Pretty easy decision in the end.

* Bassong - will turn 32 this season also, and with plenty of young DC's in the ranks offloaded him to Barcelona for 20M + 50% of the next sale.

* Cissokho - with Jack Robinson and a ripper young Italian newgen in the ranks, I offloaded him to Marseille also for 20M + 50% of the next sale.

* Modric - the hardest call. He's 33 and regressing a bit, so I decided to move him on in the end to Barcelona for 15M. Rejected bids from Man U & Man City as I would rather he be playing in Spain.

With that out of the way, I again just focused on finding the best kids I could and picked up a GK, DL and DC prospect all relatively cheaply. My squad will look like this heading into the season proper:

GK - Guilherme / Viviano

DR - Walker / Vrsaljko

DC - Grabulosa^ / Roberto^

DC - Kayiranga^ / Zampetti^

DL - Robinson / Bartoli^

DMC - Sandro / P.Jones

MC - Kovacic / Martin^

MC - Hamsik / Barkley

AMR - Willian / Muniain

AML - Bale / Douglas Costa

ST - Cavani / Carazinho^

^ denotes a newgen.

Other non-newgens of note in my squad are Fierro & Niang who have both been loaned out for 5M & 4M loan fees respectively. The rest of my squad are newgens.

Club Legend, Gareth Bale won his 6th consecutive Golden Ball/Ballon d'Or.

Mr.Levy decided to increase the stadium's capacity from 55K to 64K, which will be completed durind September.

I've got 232M to spend, however I'm more than happy with my squad at present and the newgens I have coming through the ranks.

Hoping for one more productive season out of Cavani, Hamsik and possibly Willian before cashing them in before their value and ability decrease.

Managerial moves of note at the close of season 7:

* Arsenal are again looking for a new Manager following the retirement of Marcelo Beisla.

* Mancini got the sack from Man City, who appointed Mourinho.

* Real Madrid then promptly appointed Mancini.

COYS!

I'm just about to finish my first season with spurs and its been a frustrating season in many ways so am hoping for some advice! I've finished 6th despite scoring 89 goals! Notable wins included 6-1 away to arsenal and 4-0 at home to man united, but there were too many inconsistent results. Too often the team would have an absolute mare in games and could be 3 or 4 nil down by half time! So I think the problem is at the back ;) with 44 goals conceeded

Friedel degenerated alarmingly in the second half of the season and Gomes was only average so a new gk is my priority, any suggestions? I think a top central defender is also needed, Dawson will be sold as he would capitulate in most big matches. King and Gallas were not consistent either but I guess they will be hard to shift. I'm playing the 4-2-3-1 formation (sometimes bring the att md back to a def mid depending on opposition) and team looks like this:

gk: gomes/friedel

dr: walker/corluka (fb - supp)

dl: baines/robinson (fb - supp)

dcr: dawson/king/kaboul (cd - def)

dcl: bassong/gallas (cd - stop)

mcr: parker/sandro (cm - def)

mcl: modric/huddlestone (dlp - supp)

amr: Lennon/dos santos (win - supp)

aml: Bale (win - att)

amc: van der vaart (am - supp)

str: adebayor/damaio/Wilfried (poa/tm - att)

Players sold were: BAE (8mill), Defoe (3m+robinson), Pav 5mill). Kranjkaer is going for 6.5m, Pienaar for 3m. The players in are all in my line up above. I have to say Baines has been rubbish! Has anyone else found this? He cost me 15mill too, just hope he will improve in the second season.

What i really need is greater consistency at the back, thinking of going for shawcross and either alder or stegen but suggestions welcome?

Also wondered is Caulker is worth keeping and bringing through as he looks quite promising and will be back at the club.

I like Kaboul and Bassong as my top choice backs. Ledley and Gallas were used in European and Cup matches. With that, and with ter Stegen in goal, I only gave up 31 goals in my 1st season, on the way to winning the league with 94 pts. Also, play VDV as an inside forward/attack. He scored 26 goals with 11 assists for me. I hope that helps.

I restarted my save a while ago, as I didn't like the way I was running the team in my previous save. I brought in too many players for positions that didn't need strengthening, and made the mistake of giving players the match highest-earner clause. I'm planning on making smarter transfers this time round. I won the PL with 94 points, and was thrilled with my defense. While conceding 31 goals is not spectacular, it took me until November to keep my first clean sheet, so they really stepped it up in the second half of the season. I also won the FA Cup, beating Chelsea in the final, but lost to Celtic in the Europa League Final.

Van Der Vaart was my best player, scoring 25 and assisting 11 in 36 appearances. Pedro was fantastic, but unfortunately is not interested in returning next season. I'm already excited about next season, as Chicharito was just signed for 25mil pounds. I will give another update when I complete my summer transfers. COYS!

screenshot20120121at147.png

screenshot20120121at148.png

screenshot20120121at151.png

@rcrerie I had a similar experience with Baines, signed for £15m and just so woeful he's currently on loan at Hearts as I can't ship him off...still got another yr on his contract :( but yeah he's really not very good I've signed Aly Cissokho for £14m who's been much better

Gary Cahill was a flop for me also, signed for £14m and just never played well on a consisten basis altho tbf he did break his leg in training and I loaned him to Porto where I eventually sold him 3yrs after signing him for £2.3m probably one of my biggest losses ever on a player

Season 8 is now in the books and another highly successful campaign in all competitions.

A couple of highlights:

Bale won is 7th Ballon d'Or (Golden Ball) in a row.

Cavani is now Spur's all time leading league goal scorer, ending the season on 229 career league goals.

I got a bit nervous half way through the season when I noticed Levy's status has changed from "loves the club" to "willing to listen to offers". Suffice to say he did listen to offers and ultimately sold controlling interest to a "local businessman" for a cool 500m.

I must admit, in all my years of playing FM, this is the first takeover I've endured and I would have been shattered if I'd been sacked, especially after they named the ne stadium after me! Anyway, I survived, so all good and onto pre-season to prepared for our assult on season 9.

I've been ruthless to start the off season, by moved on a few aging club stalwarts despite the expected supporter backlash:

* Cavani - club lcon and new all time leading league goalscorer. Sold to Bari for 25M.

* Hamsik - club Legend. Sold to Barcelona for 30M where he'll link up with fellow former Spurs Modric & Bassong.

* Willian - club Icon. Sold to Real Madrid for 30M.

There will be a significant injection of youth into my rotation next season to replace these guys, hoping to maximise the potential of several highly rated newgens.

Walker, Sandro and of course Bale are the only Spurs "originals" left at the club.

COYS!

Okay, guys.

I need som serious help! My 1st season with Spurs resulted in a 3rd place with an UEFA Cup victory and a FA Cup victory.

I bought some good players in summer, to help capitalise on my successful 1st season. That however, was not how it went.

After reading some of the TT&? guide, i tried to improve my tactics. That haven't helped.

Below is the table, my squad and my 442-tactic. I tend to switch a bit between my 442 and my 4231. None of them work though. I'm desperate for help, cause my players are starting to question my skills, and wants away. Has anyone got some tips for well functioning Spurs tactics - or tactics who would suit my squad?

squadformation.png

442h.png

leaguez.png

Hi,

I keep starting a new game with spurs and the players just seem to never be interested with what i am saying to them and always are un-interested? I dont know what i can do as it keeps happening and it ruins my game as the players are never playing well. I play the 4 4 1 1 formation so it should suit them but never seems to work, any help would be appreciated.

Hazard, Vidal, Otamendi and Baines of the first XI have arrived in summer. Tevez is from jan, 1st season. I'm in november by the way. I can't decide whether to use 442 or 4231 as main tactic, though.

Well, you basically bought a new team, so it'll take time to adapt. Hazard is wasted in right midfield too. With your players I'd go for 4-2-3-1; Hazard in the middle behind Tevez, Bale as an inside forward/AML, Modric as DLP alongside Vidal as a ball winner or box to box player. Willian i'm sure can play AMR/IF, or maybe Hazard can go there.

Hi,

I keep starting a new game with spurs and the players just seem to never be interested with what i am saying to them and always are un-interested? I dont know what i can do as it keeps happening and it ruins my game as the players are never playing well. I play the 4 4 1 1 formation so it should suit them but never seems to work, any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately not much can be done, because it's related to your manager reputation. Speak less imo, or get a good ass.man and let him do team talks for a while. If you win something it will change. Atleast it did in FM11.

Hazard, Vidal, Otamendi and Baines of the first XI have arrived in summer. Tevez is from jan, 1st season. I'm in november by the way. I can't decide whether to use 442 or 4231 as main tactic, though.

Bloody hell, how are you buying all those top notch players with the Spurs budged? I just couldn't imagine spending the money you have (that isn't even there to begin with, unless your using FMRTE to edit finances) to acquire the likes of Tevez, Baines AND Eden Hazard!!!!

Maybe I'm doing something god awfully wrong, but would have to blow my entire transfer load on just him alone!

@rcrerie I had a similar experience with Baines, signed for £15m and just so woeful he's currently on loan at Hearts as I can't ship him off...still got another yr on his contract :( but yeah he's really not very good I've signed Aly Cissokho for £14m who's been much better

I'm glad someone else has experienced this with Baines! I've had some advice on changing his individual instructions to wb - att and hug touchline, which I will try but really he should be good enough to perform at least half decent as a standard full back. I'll give him one more season but if there's not sufficient improvement hopefully Robinson will be ready to become first choice.

I'm hoping to get Kameni for the gk spot, I think this is a big problem at Spurs and he will only cost 5.25m. Only problem is i'm competing with man city for him. Thanks for the tips on the other gk's, problem is i'm having 15m+ bids turned down without them even negotiating! I managed to get Sigurdson from hoffenheim for a mere 4m so happy with that. I think a top gk and centre half will do it for the summer shopping. I had a 9.5m bid for Dawson from man city, which i turned down as I'm hoping to get more money for him and possibly get him involved in a swap deal for Andy Johnson :)

Bloody hell, how are you buying all those top notch players with the Spurs budged? I just couldn't imagine spending the money you have (that isn't even there to begin with, unless your using FMRTE to edit finances) to acquire the likes of Tevez, Baines AND Eden Hazard!!!!

Maybe I'm doing something god awfully wrong, but would have to blow my entire transfer load on just him alone!

I never do 48 month deals.. They were all bought on cash up front. I actually only spent around 15 million.. The rest was due to sales. Sold Van Der Vaart for 18 and bought Hazard for 17 etc.

Well, you basically bought a new team, so it'll take time to adapt. Hazard is wasted in right midfield too. With your players I'd go for 4-2-3-1; Hazard in the middle behind Tevez, Bale as an inside forward/AML, Modric as DLP alongside Vidal as a ball winner or box to box player. Willian i'm sure can play AMR/IF, or maybe Hazard can go there.

Yeah. That was the conclusion i got, too. Team blend. I acutally bought all the players for a 4231.. But it didn't really work, so i ended up on a 442, which has worked brilliantly ever since. 5-0 against Chelsea for example. By the way, would you use the mc's in 4231 as dm's or just right in the middle of the park?

Personally I'd have them both in the middle of the park but make sure they are responsible, hold their position and do the simple things. I'd have Modric as dlp support and parker/sandro as a cm defend. Depending on the opposition I'd sometimes bring back the att mid into the def mid position and then alter the dlp to an adv playmaker on an attack duty and change the other midfielder to a support duty. One such time resulted in me beating manure 4-0!

Yeah. That was the conclusion i got, too. Team blend. I acutally bought all the players for a 4231.. But it didn't really work, so i ended up on a 442, which has worked brilliantly ever since. 5-0 against Chelsea for example. By the way, would you use the mc's in 4231 as dm's or just right in the middle of the park?

Depends on opposition. If against a team who is significantly better and you are away, then I suggest having them deeper, because when you have a player like Rooney coming deep it'll cause you problems if no-one is there to pick him up. There again, Vidal is not really a holding player, whereas Sandro was- why did you replace him, he's excellent. Excellent! Anyway, if you set them deeper then there might be too much space between them and attack, so it's as much about who you set on support duty, whether you set players as defensive or attacking, what philosophy you use etc, as it is about where you position players.

If playing weaker or even teams, I would suggest putting them in the middle, and use one as a DLP who collects the ball from defense, and possibly even your FB's as WB's.

Hi,

I have just been given £92million in november of the first season. So i am now ready to make purchases for January, I had transfers turned off in first window so i am thinking of buying a LB (Baines) Hazard and a striker out of (LLorent, Leandro or Cavani). Then i will see how much i have left over. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sign Aly Cissokho from PSG he's cheaper, younger and better than Baines

Cavani will cost atleast upwards of £26m - Llorente is probably similar but a tad cheaper - you could also try Seydou Doumbia for around £18m

Hazard on my game went for £35m+

Leandro Damaio I'm assuming ur talking about he's still at Inter b/c I can't/won't sign him - depends if you have Brazilian league running if so he will cost alot more.

Started my third save with Spurs a couple of weeks back. Finished the first season 5th in the league, winning the FA Cup and getting to the final in the Euro Cup.

At the end of the season the board has announced a new 49000 stadium. I have also managed to sign Hazard for £26m : ) previous saves have seen much higher bids rejected. In order to fund this I have had to sell Sandro and Modric although in previous saves they have never been key performers so I'm happy.

I am now going to have to change from my regular 442 formation to try and accomadate Fellaini, Bale, Hazard, VDV, Ayew, Sigurosson, Yttergard Jenssen!!

does this sound right to u lot?

Board started with a new stadium in my 4th season or w/e and I never got a mention but it did one set of planning 27/05/2017 and now it's gone back a bit on the completion bar and now it won't be done until 2020...atleast another 3 seasons

Started a new spurs save...

i decided that my priority for the transfer window was to buy a new left back to become the new starter at spurs, and use BAE as back up..

players in

Aly Cissokho - 12.5m

Kermit Erasmus - 190k

ibrahim afellay - 1.7m

giuseppe prestia -1.5m

Players out

several youth players went out on loan spells in league one and two to get first team experience..

kermit erasmus was sent to aa gent to get a work permit..

Summary of transfers

Aly cissokho was obviously signed as i thought the club was very light in the position and i feel he has the potential to be one of the best left backs in the league if not the world. Kermit erasmus was signed from supersport in south africa, which was one of my feeder clubs and i thought i would make use of this link to sign a player on the cheap who eventually i will look to sell on for around 20 times what i paid for him, so more of an investment, dont see him getting into the first team. Ibrahim afellay was signed as he was cheap, and of international quality and i thought he could add a little extra to the squad and maybe one day get into the starting 11. Giuseppe Prestia is a young centre back from palermo, who my scouts gave a very good report so i decided to buy him and get him tutored by king and dawson and see how he develops.

Tactics

i decided to start the season with a rigid philosophy and but play with lots of creative freedom..

i play a 4-4-1-1 formation..

my starting 11 is

----------Gomes----------

walker king dawson cissokho

lennon modric sandro bale

--------VDV----------

----adebayor-------

half way through the season and im top of the league.. but trying to get the best out of bale, adebayor and modric who all havent been playing that well and ive been relying on vdv dfoe and ledley king for goals this season.. what role a people playing them in??

Coming into the Jan transfer window and need some competition for BAE. Got 11m to spend and looking for a player aged between 19-24. Anyone got any suggestions?

You could probably get Jack Robinson from Liverpool for that. Always turns into England first choice on my saves. He may not be up to scratch immediately but into the second season he should be a good solid performer.

has no-one given souleymane coulibaly a chance at all?

I'm only in the 2nd season but I've started to use him in the league cup. 2 appearances (1 sub, 1 start) and a goal in each. A bad injury in the 2nd though :( Might well be a good un!

With BAE, Bale, Bassong, Gallas and Walker no real need for another LB.

Agreed, I always find BAE and Bassong perform very well averaging 7.5 over the first couple of seasons. I tend to keep these pair and then get in a top prospect so he has the time to develop.

maybe it's got something to do with tactics, perhaps they prefer a 4-4-2 with support in front of them?

Played 4123(3 forwards) last time so no protection, also Bale had a long term injury. Also ended season with a broken leg for Modric and broken arm for VDV so Livermore got a few games.

I bought Canella in the end, 5.75mil very decent and a good price with contract deal.

I have played my first 3 games and here are the results:

Spurs 5 -1 Norwich

Wigan 0 - 2 Spurs

Spurs 3 - 1 Man C

I am particulary proud of the City result as they put in countless bids for VDV and I rejected them, then I asked for 35mil, but I am glad I didn't buckle as he came on upfront and scored the two winning goals!!!

Been offered 2.8m and Adam Johnson for Aaron Lennon in first transfer window. Do I agree or reject?

You should ask in the other forum should I buy/sell thread, but my answer would be no, you get get better deals money wise for him then what they are offering currently

Archived