Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Aurelio's ability to seamlessly slot back into the starting line up like he's never been out injured, such a shame he can't stay fit. Anyway was a solid if unspectacular performance, nice to keep a clean sheet and Downing is looking good so far and offers the width and pace we didn't have before.

Lucas is just hilariously good now. Skinning people in really tight areas for japes. Even my grandad likes him and he's hated his guts since he came here.

Pleased with Downing. Ability to go outside and cut in. Intelligent crosses too. Adam looking really composed. Not seen much from Henderson this summer, with either England youth or us.

N'Gog worthy of that 4th striker spot imo. Really good in 15-20 minute cameos.

thought aquilani really disappointed. game passed him by today. didn't help that we played so deep after the goal though.

downing looked good as did agger. henderson not so much.

did anyone see the valencia player dive in two footed on carroll just before he went diving in like a loon picking up that yellow? you could see it riled him.

I thought Aquilani was good today. He just makes us tick, every time he got the ball he made something happen, even if it was just a little flick here or a short pass there. He looks so comfortable.

Desperately want him to stay, would be a real error of judgement to let him go if theres any way we can keep him here.

the problem with aqua is he holds onto the ball waiting for the killer pass, which isnt going to work at PL pace... good against weak teams, bit anon against a slow valencia which isnt good.

downing looks mint though.

my dad said apparently the valencia def headbutted a carroll after his tackle?? was there so didnt get replay

Wasn't a proper headbutt. Just kinda pushed his head towards him, rather than going in for the hurt.

Funnily enough, though, I was watching an old Man Utd v Man City match on ESPC Classic earlier, and saw Gary Neville get sent off for exactly the same thing. I cheered. :cool:

Just got back from the match. Obviously was a quieter atmosphere than normal but there was a nice vibe around the place. People were really pleased to see Aquilani start but it's right, he struggled to get our play flowing through him. Downing looked quality, Henderson actually impressed me with his ability to keep the ball under pressure but he didn't show anything to make me think he's a wide player, I'm not sure he can beat a man. Ngog showed some nice touches when he came on but how on earth, with all the midfielders we've got, young Flano was ended up playing a def mid role I've no idea.

For Valencia, Piatti is a midget and Mata looked like he'd struggle with the pace of the premiership but they're early in their pre season so shouldn't judge. Was impressed with Fegouhli (sp?) when he came on, good dribbler.

agree that aqua wasnt at his best, he looked like he'd prefer it playing centre mid as he kept dropping deeper but thats going to prove a headache with lucas and one of meireles/henderson/adam for the position. should start though imo, has too much class, it'd be a travesty if we didnt utilise him.

subs didnt work as hard as the 1st 11 (except for dirk) when they came on which is a shame. ive really come round to dirk getting an automatic first team spot as he just makes things happen with his industry tho i'd rather see him behnd the front man than out wide, or even up top if need be. he does a job on the right but he looks so much better more central.

Archived