dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Season 2009/10 Review - Hendon in the Blue Square Premier

Wasn't expecing that!

Just a ridiculously tight fight for the top5 spots. Our final position was only possible thanks to the poor form of the other contenders; mainly Rochdale with their 5 points from the last 5 games.

Past Positions

Who would've guessed the end of this half way into the season?

Season Summary

I think I know who our fans will pick for their player of the season...

The Squad

Quite a few will be leaving. Paul Butler is 37, Adrian Williams is 38, three players are loanees and a bunch just won't cut it in League 2.

Transfers

Nothing too exciting here. Got who I needed at the start of the season and didn't really do much from there on.

Confidence

Bagged me a new 1-year contract.

Cup Results

A bit unlucky this year, but pleased to have gotten as far into both Setanta Shield and the FA Trophy as we did.

Random Stats

Balance: £702,757

Wages: £4,243/£6,712

Average Attendance: 1917 (2369 in the league)

Media Prediction: 24th

Squad Average Age: 25

Squad Personality: Determined

Club Value: £800K

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

2 more days till I get my game...

Maybe just intime for the beta version of the patch then heh? icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, it seems so. icon_smile.gif

But I'd rather of had it since release date. icon_rolleyes.gif

Congrats to cookie15 and Scab on promotion!

Cookie: 100+ points icon_eek.gif fantastic work!

Scab: What a close race. Less than 6 points between glory and missing the playoffs completely. I hope you have fingernails left.

I also find the financial expectations comment amusing icon_smile.gif

Mangotsfield United - End Of Season Report - Blue Square South - 2008/2009

After an eventful first season with me finishing in 3rd place, thus qualifying for the playoffs!! If offered that at the start of the season I would have bitten somebodies hand off, as you could imagine icon_biggrin.gif

As you may remember in my half season report, I was struggling for goals. This continued throughout the second half of the season, with only my loanee, Artus, a regular scorer. With the defence as my strong link, I kept with the defensive approach and catching teams on the break with some route one. This worked against most teams, but as I guessed, some teams worked out how to play against it and shut up shop, meaning there were a few bore draws chucked in for good measure.

As mentioned earlier, I made the playoffs with the semi finals against Basingstoke. Having had a victory and a defeat to them, with the advantage going to the home side.

After a 0-0 at home, I was scepital as the away side in the second leg, having already lost there. After going 1-0 down at half time, I told my team that we needed to get a result tonight. This appeared to achieve nothing as Basingstoke layed seige to my goal. I was within 5 minutes of losing, when that loanee, scored a breakaway goal.. meaning that my moaning of my team bottling it in the big matches was shoved back down my throat. At this point I would like to apologize for my lack of screenies, got carried away and started my pre season, so apologies all round

Extra time came and so nearly went, until 1 minute from time, my 5th choice striker, playing through injuries to everyone else, scored a somewhat sensational goal, scoring from 35 yards out with the keeper stranded. The final whistle blew and we were in the playoff final agains Forest Green, who were the top scorers in the league.

Going for promotion in the first season is something I had dreamed of, but wasnt expecting my season to carry on another couple of games!! Forest Green were clear favourites going into the game and they didnt fail beating my spirited Mangotsfield troops 2-1 this time in my opinion my team bottled it, with plenty of chances, but nobody wanting to finish it off.

I hope that wasnt to much for everybody, as again I got carried away, and in future, if anybody wants a shorter review to save me babbling on, just let me know icon_smile.gif

Good Luick to everybody, Have fun icon_biggrin.gif

AFC Hornchurch - Blue Square South 2012/13 - Playoff Semi Final Second Leg

Extremely pleased with this result because even though they had a man sent off early on, they still battered me throughout the match and I ended up with an 8 man defence holding on at the end, 5 defenders, 2 sweepers and a DMC, and we only just scraped a 0-0 then as they missed 2 great chances to level on aggregate in injury time.

That's the team that finished 2nd out of the way, the final will be against Salisbury, who I have a pretty good record against. I'm half looking forward to it and half dreading it, 5 seasons of stuggle to get this far and it could all either be a waste or all worthwhile by the end of the next match.

Originally posted by Allan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Can't we just wipe him from the list icon_frown.gif.

Can do anything like that but any decesion is as always up to Dafuge, an I do what im told icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he deserves to stay on the list in his current position, since he did get there legitimately. I just would not accept any more updates since he got sacked.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

A quick question for you guys.

What is the most players you've had in your original starting squad?

It seems as though there isn't anyone who has actually started with a full squad, unless I'm just being blind.

None and no staff! icon14.gif

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

Dafuge when did you get offered a new contract? I am at April 1st and still nothing. Getting worried icon_frown.gif

Not until the season had finished. I seriously thought my game was over by then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great. More nail biting. How are you doing by the way?

I'm stuck in the Conference National for another season.

My Chairman also sold my RB FRED for 650k! I was a bit gutted icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Can't we just wipe him from the list icon_frown.gif.

Can do anything like that but any decesion is as always up to Dafuge, an I do what im told icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he deserves to stay on the list in his current position, since he did get there legitimately. I just would not accept any more updates since he got sacked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds fair enough. icon14.gif

Originally posted by MyNameIsJohn:

WANTED!

Still hoping at some point either I or someone else will reload a game that produces one of these:

Ramsgate

Tonbridge Angels

Buxton

If you know of one please give me a shout!!

I've never seen any of them promoted?

A quick question for you guys.

What is the most players you've had in your original starting squad?

It seems as though there isn't anyone who has actually started with a full squad, unless I'm just being blind.

I think only AFC Wimbledon and Halesowen (Why Halesowen?) start off with some players, all I had at Marine were eight promoted youth players icon_frown.gif

I checked the editor and the teams do have players assigned to them in the database (looked like ~11-16 for the teams I checked), yet on a large database they are still not getting loaded, this is either a bug like FM2007 or the starting players are that bad.

this is either a bug like FM2007 or the starting players are that bad.

This is why I'm asking really as it seems as though all the promoted teams are starting with very few or no players.

This seems very unrealistic tbf as the teams always have players, however bad they may be.

Originally posted by Alurny:

Good, after finishing 12th last season I'm currently in 3rd in January. I think I'll finish in the top six, the title isn't out of the question but I'm expecting to finish in the playoff places.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">this is either a bug like FM2007 or the starting players are that bad.

This is why I'm asking really as it seems as though all the promoted teams are starting with very few or no players.

This seems very unrealistic tbf as the teams always have players, however bad they may be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don;t you have to retain all English players for the teams outside the covered leagues to be loaded with there squad?

Originally posted by michaeltmurrayuk:

I think only AFC Wimbledon and Halesowen (Why Halesowen?) start off with some players, all I had at Marine were eight promoted youth players icon_frown.gif

I checked the editor and the teams do have players assigned to them in the database (looked like ~11-16 for the teams I checked), yet on a large database they are still not getting loaded, this is either a bug like FM2007 or the starting players are that bad.

It's a pain if it is a bug since it was fixed with one of the patches for FM07.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

Good, after finishing 12th last season I'm currently in 3rd in January. I think I'll finish in the top six, the title isn't out of the question but I'm expecting to finish in the playoff places. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck.

I was sticking it out in the playoffs but a drastic dip in form (Wonder why that happened: maybe my star striker with his crutiate injury icon_frown.gif ) 3 points away with two games in hand. Come on lads! icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Spurs1979:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">this is either a bug like FM2007 or the starting players are that bad.

This seems very unrealistic tbf as the teams always have players, however bad they may be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don;t you have to retain all English players for the teams outside the covered leagues to be loaded with there squad? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone could test this to see if it is the case?

I would do but don't have the game yet.

dlnwba86 - Halesowen Town - BSS Season 2009/2010

This season we finished lower than last, despite being close to the playoffs with 5 games to go (i lost all 5 icon_frown.gif). I can't seem to find any consistency whatsoever. We were terrible in the cup competitions and despite not going over budget i somehow find myself 250K in debt!!! I am seriously worried for my job now.

One bright spark was Stuart Nicholson who i managed to get back on loan from WBA and he banged in 38 goals in 42 games, yet even he wasn't considered for player of the season in the league.

If i were you i'd be expecting to see me in the dole queue come tomorrow.

League Table

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Don;t you have to retain all English players for the teams outside the covered leagues to be loaded with there squad? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would do but don't have the game yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit hard when other's have already started, effectively it would mean people who start with retained players have an advantage over those who started without retained players. It's upto Dafuge obviously & what he thinks is best, we're only a week into what is essentially a long term game so might be best to think about it at least I guess.

Originally posted by michaeltmurrayuk:

Here's something that I don't think has been asked, what pitch dimensions did you all pick?

Hopefully I haven't made a mistake picking the smallest pitch 100x65 yards.

minimum icon14.gif (Mainly due to my narrow diamond tactic!)

On that list from the main website, I had to use my old login from FM 06/07 (can't remember), so if it could be changed to kroblues then that would be appreciated.

Also, I'm having some problems with my internet atm so there will be a few updates from Saturday, as I'm in March of 09/10 now and I am doing monthly updates

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spurs1979:

I would do but don't have the game yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit hard when other's have already started, effectively it would mean people who start with retained players have an advantage over those who started without retained players. It's upto Dafuge obviously & what he thinks is best, we're only a week into what is essentially a long term game so might be best to think about it at least I guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I remember at some point last year, that it was determined it was actually easier by starting with an empty squad and you can choose exactly who you want whereas when you start with players you need to assess what's good and bad and you need to offload players also to make room for new ones.

If someone could test it out though it would be a great help but we'll leave it all with dafuge. icon14.gif

You didn't used to (apart from FM07 unpatched), as far as I can remember the game (usually) generates players in the playable leagues, then playable countries and will then fill in the rest by reputation. So a small database will give you less players from Brazil and Italy for example but still generate nearly full teams for English clubs.

The medium database in the patched verison of FM2007 gave you players for the feeder leagues, so you'd expect the large database to aswell, is anyone using a normal or small database get players for the feeder teams in FM08?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by michaeltmurrayuk:

It's a pain if it is a bug since it was fixed with one of the patches for FM07. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which patch was it fixed in dafuge? I seem to remember it always being that way in FM '07 at least with the teams I played (Staines/Leek Town).

I'm of mixed opinions on the issue. I understand that someone people want to start with players (both to make it easier and for realism) but I sort of like starting empty as it opens the full wage budget for me to bring in new players and saves me the trouble of having to try and get everyone to leave on a free icon_wink.gif

Actually, I remember at some point last year, that it was determined it was actually easier by starting with an empty squad and you can choose exactly who you want whereas when you start with players you need to assess what's good and bad and you need to offload players also to make room for new ones.

If someone could test it out though it would be a great help but we'll leave it all with dafuge. icon14.gif

I think we should stick to the original rules, with a bit of luck it will be sorted in the patch as it was last year. Has anyone mentioned it in the bugs forum yet?

The starting with an empty squad being easier is an interesting one. One one hand, you don't have to sort through all the rubbish players and you can sign players who fit your system better. On the other hand, if you have a low reputation, the players you can bring in are often worse than the players already at the club.

Originally posted by Quavis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by michaeltmurrayuk:

It's a pain if it is a bug since it was fixed with one of the patches for FM07. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which patch was it fixed in dafuge? I seem to remember it always being that way in FM '07 at least with the teams I played (Staines/Leek Town).

I'm of mixed opinions on the issue. I understand that someone people want to start with players (both to make it easier and for realism) but I sort of like starting empty as it opens the full wage budget for me to bring in new players and saves me the trouble of having to try and get everyone to leave on a free icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually looking back on my old save I guess Leek Town did start with 4-6 players + youth squad. That wasn't too bad as most of them started on rock bottom wages (50p) and were willing to move to anyone icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Quavis:

I think it was the first patch, we were getting full squads for the promoted teams with a medium database last year.

My striker's hair is growing!

Danny - Dec 2010

Danny - Oct 2011

Danny Roberts icon_biggrin.gif

Wasn't sure if hair really did grow or not.

Anyone seen players with beards?

I've signed a few of these islanders after taking them on trial first. All of them appeared in my player search screen, and since the player search screen is limited by your scouting knowledge I consider this to be a legitimate way of finding players.

This is one of the LLM rules which I disagree with, I believe that the player search list is generated according to your staff's knowledge, so indirectly every player on that list is there because of your scouts and coaches. In a way, every player on that list has already been picked out by your scouts, whether your board will sanction a trip abroad to actually watch him play is another thing.

Thats true, not using player search is out of date. If Swedish non league players are on your player search its to do with your clubs knowledge somehow.

Originally posted by Scoham:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

My striker's hair is growing!

Danny - Dec 2010

Danny - Oct 2011

Danny Roberts icon_biggrin.gif

Wasn't sure if hair really did grow or not.

Anyone seen players with beards?

I've signed a few of these islanders after taking them on trial first. All of them appeared in my player search screen, and since the player search screen is limited by your scouting knowledge I consider this to be a legitimate way of finding players.

This is one of the LLM rules which I disagree with, I believe that the player search list is generated according to your staff's knowledge, so indirectly every player on that list is there because of your scouts and coaches. In a way, every player on that list has already been picked out by your scouts, whether your board will sanction a trip abroad to actually watch him play is another thing.

Thats true, not using player search is out of date. If Swedish non league players are on your player search its to do with your clubs knowledge somehow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You only get shadow. No alexi Lalas goatees icon_frown.gif Unless SI put it in of course!

Archived