dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Guys, im having a LOT of problems... icon_frown.gif

Im so inconsistent. Il beat top of the table 2-0, then lose to bottom of the table 6-0.

Please help me!

- I cant find better players. My scouts rate EVERYONE as 7* and say almost every player is better than those i currently have, even though they are clearly not, and then when i do actually sign them, the 'coach report' says that they are NOT better that my current players.

- Like i say, im inconsistent. I cant get a good run of results together. I've tried tactically doing many things, but nothing is working. Im playing 4-4-2 Atacking, with a Target Man, which is effective sometimes, and not others. Im ripping my hair out trying to find the right tactic.!

-Financially, i cant make money. Im £230k in the red, and losing arund £10k a month. Its nearing the end of my second season, with another 'high league bonus' soon to come out (Around £100k)

I never had this much trouble in FM07. There was always a wealth of players availiable to me. Please, help me.!

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Merthyr Tydfil - Blue Square South - End of 2008 Update

I've finally made it into the new year,so I thought it would be a good idea to post an update. The season started reasonably well, despite defeats to Crawley and Dorchester, who have both been in the top four from the start. This was followed by a pair of wins, and we managed to score four goals in both. Results still remained good going into September, but quickly started to turn into unimpressive draws and losses, resulting in a run of 9 league games without a win. I changed my tactics from the standard 4-4-2 to a 4-1-3-2 going into a match with rivals Newport, and managed to turn our run around to the delight of our fans - result. With the new tactic all is going well so far, so hopefully we'll start to move up the league a bit - Results 1 Results 2 League Position Graph

As I predicted from pre-season, Charles Ademeno has been my most important player so far, and to be honest the only one who has played consistently well, scoring around 1 in 2. Other than him, I don't think anyone else deserves a special mention icon_frown.gif , although Jamie Gleeson has shown some good form since I changed formation.

My Starting 11

In other news...

Reading are top of the Premiership icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by dafuge:

A similar thing happened to me, but the board changed their mind, however Jimbo is right, the use of any editor is banned, however unjust the circumstances.

If you have used an editor than you can't continue to take part in this challenge, we can't make exceptions to this, there must be a clear line drawn.

I thought I had set a pretty good example last year when St****s sacked me for no good reason, after 19 seasons I accepted my fate and started a new game with AFC Wimbledon.

Could I suggest that you report your issue in the bugs forum and provide SI with a save game, hopefully this kind of thing won't happen after the patch.

Wow, never knew the true backstory to why Staines are St****s to you dafuge! No wonder you despise them so. Great dedication to get back into the challenge after 19 seasons previously. That alone should convince JordanKnox to start over!

Im so inconsistent. Il beat top of the table 2-0, then lose to bottom of the table 6-0.

Please help me!

- I cant find better players. My scouts rate EVERYONE as 7* and say almost every player is better than those i currently have, even though they are clearly not, and then when i do actually sign them, the 'coach report' says that they are NOT better that my current players.

- Like i say, im inconsistent. I cant get a good run of results together. I've tried tactically doing many things, but nothing is working. Im playing 4-4-2 Atacking, with a Target Man, which is effective sometimes, and not others. Im ripping my hair out trying to find the right tactic.!

-Financially, i cant make money. Im £230k in the red, and losing arund £10k a month. Its nearing the end of my second season, with another 'high league bonus' soon to come out (Around £100k)

I never had this much trouble in FM07. There was always a wealth of players availiable to me. Please, help me.!

Cheers..

Originally posted by Wellyboo:

I've finally made it into the new year,so I thought it would be a good idea to post an update. The season started reasonably well, despite defeats to Crawley and Dorchester, who have both been in the top four from the start. This was followed by a pair of wins, and we managed to score four goals in both. Results still remained good going into September, but quickly started to turn into unimpressive draws and losses, resulting in a run of 9 league games without a win. I changed my tactics from the standard 4-4-2 to a 4-1-3-2 going into a match with rivals Newport, and managed to turn our run around to the delight of our fans - result. With the new tactic all is going well so far, so hopefully we'll start to move up the league a bit - Results 1 Results 2 League Position Graph

As I predicted from pre-season, Charles Ademeno has been my most important player so far, and to be honest the only one who has played consistently well, scoring around 1 in 2. Other than him, I don't think anyone else deserves a special mention icon_frown.gif , although Jamie Gleeson has shown some good form since I changed formation.

My Starting 11

In other news...

It looks like some of the pictures didnt work out as planned, so I'll try and fix that tomorrow icon14.gif

My advice would be:

1) If it's tactics that are the cause of your inconsistency, try using the default tactics with slight alterations. This was recommended by someone else earlier in the thread.

2) Financially are you over budget? If so time to release unused players, offer to clubs or mutually terminate their contracts. Another method to raise small amounts of money is to arrange home friendlies for your under 18s/reserves. Rules set out in this thread is they must be against opposition that you can scout - ie. whilst in the BSN you should only be able to arrange friendlies with other English sides. For realism take on local rival's under 18s! icon_biggrin.gif

3) When looking for new players I've found that a search with just unattached players as the filter works well. The best thing to do is to bring them in on trial first. This way your coaches can tell you how they compare to your best players in that position. They may also tell you if the triallist is 2nd/3rd/4th best in that position in the club should you sign him. Also I would recommend possibly getting another scout or two in just to increase your knowledge of England. 4 eyes are better than 2!

Hope that helps! icon14.gif

Not a very good year for Ilkeston Town in the Conference North, though I suppose we were always going to be fighting an uphill battle.

These are the only two actual squad players we have who look like they should probably be paid to play football. Everyone else is exceptionally defective in one area or another, from the strikers with composure ratings of 1 to the defenders who can't jump to the midfielders who can't do anything.

Things do seem to be looking up for us, though. We signed a Super Saiyan.

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Please help me!

NepentheZ

I can't help you with money, but I think I can give you at least an idea about the Target Man tactics being inconsistant.

A TM tactic largely relies on the ability/form/performance of 1 single player. If your TM has a bad day then you might as well kiss the game goodbye. It may also not be down to him having a bad day, more that he ran into a brute of a defender that Conference North seem to be filled with.

What I have taken to doing is employing a TM with a support striker SC. This is what most of us do. What I do if he is struggling is I swap the TM and the SC around. I don't mean that I make the SC the Target Man. I just swap them around on the tactics page. The idea with this is that it puts the TM up against the 2nd centre-half and unless he is unlucky enough to be playing against 2 beasts, he should do better after the change. I haven't worked out how the opposition AI playing a man marking system works on this, but it's still worth having a go.

If he still fails to perform I would look to the bench. I like to play someone on the bench who can fill in at both roles. An athletic big strong quick striker, (who obviously can't his the side of a barn door or he would be playing higher up the leagues). He can come on in place of either the TM or the SC, when they are tired or injured, or purely when they are out of form.

If that still doesn't work then drastic measures are required. What I do then is make the quick SC the Target man, and play the ball "over the top". If the opposition back 4 can best my 2 Target Men, then there is little chance that they can cope with a speed merchant. It's not foolproof, but it's working well at the moment. The only things is that you have to have the personnel to do it.

Good luck icon14.gif.

ps. I have found that I have a nasty little habit of altering my tactics during a game, (fine), and them saving them afterwards, (not fine). This completely screws my tactics for the following game and caused me no end of worry last season icon_rolleyes.gif. Make sure you're not doing that.

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Please help me!

Cheers..

My teams actually end up the same way. I have no problems firing up the guys for a game against the top half side, but if we ever play relegation strugglers I'm almost sure to drop points.

You might want to try playing with different team talk options to see if you can get anything to work. If moral is already high, sometimes slamming the team at half time for horrid results works well for me (DONT do this if moral is already in the pits as it will never work).

As far as players/tactics are concerned, take a look at the players you have and make sure they work in the tactic you are usuing. You might have a back that has absolutely brilliant defensive statistics, but if your tactic needs him making overlapping runs down the flanks and he has 5 pace, its probably not gonna work out well.

When all else fails I'd look to simplify. Start with your back 4 and the keeper and find a way to limit the goals at the back. If the opponent cant score, your garanteed at least a point. You might also look at simplifying your game, playing more longballs, limiting creativity, ect. It may not be pretty, but sometimes the players needed to play pretty football just arn't availible.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Glad I'm not the only one struggling with crazy inconsistency. I started my latest season totally horribly (and my previous 4 were all equally unsuccessful).

I decided to go for a total tactical overhaul when I started the season with 3 wins in my first 15 games and haven't lost a game since and I'm seeing us rising up the table quite commandingly, though it may already be too late to push for a playoff spot.

The thing I changed was putting "swap position with" on both of my MCs, then on both of my wingers, and also on both of my strikers and went to a fairly bog-standard 4-4-2 and all of a sudden I've started creating a whole load of chances and the opposition defenders don't seem to have a clue who they're playing against.

I don't know if I've just hit a vein of form or I'm being incredibly lucky, but I thought I would put my suggestion in also.

Tiverton Town - Conf South - June 2009 - End Of Season Round-up

Final Position = 8th

I think, like a lot of people doing this challenge, i have struggled due to incosistency. I seemed to win 3 or 4 on the bounce to then not win a game in 5. I tried quite a bit but not much seemed to work. I had a really good end to the season, so with some good signings and tactic tweaking, i am looking to get promoted next season.

Final Conf South

League Graph

The player of the season, by some margin had to be the loanee from Plymouth, Cherno Samba. He is clearly too good for this division and should be playing in league One. He bagged 33 league goals and a few assists. One of my major worries is that i will be unable to regain the player on a season long loan next season. I will struggle without him.

Cherno Samba

The Final Squad

Finances seemed stable all year, making around 10K each month, which is ok i guess. Attendances lay in between the 800-1000 mark with a boost from a succesful Fan Day. Not enough money in bank to allow for training, youth, of stadia upgrades yet.

Finances

Earlier in the season, there was a board takeover, this lasted three months and ended with a promotion from within. The new chairmen stated he was not looking to invest and he has ceratinly kept to his word!

I do not expect to have any sort of transfer kitty next season and will once again rely on free transfers and loans. I hope i have learnt something this season about spotting a good free agent when i see one. I certainly signed a few gash players last season this neeeds improvement. I get the feeling that the ability to see a sign the right, appropriate free transfers is the key to the non league footall, but what do i know!

Just got Chippenham (900), I'm very tempted to go with them.

If Hornchurch don't turn up soon, Chippenham it will be.

hey dafuge i just saw this so if you havnt already found hornchurch yet i've got the save here (i'm ******** - dont know how to upload it cud any1 tell me how u upload stuff & i'll post the link asap.) icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by RockLobster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

hey dafuge i just saw this so if you havnt already found hornchurch yet i've got the save here (i'm ******** - dont know how to upload it cud any1 tell me how u upload stuff & i'll post the link asap.) icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I decided against Hornchurch after discovering they play in red and white stripes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RockLobster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

hey dafuge i just saw this so if you havnt already found hornchurch yet i've got the save here (i'm ******** - dont know how to upload it cud any1 tell me how u upload stuff & i'll post the link asap.) icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I decided against Hornchurch after discovering they play in red and white stripes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's wrong with that? icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Wellyboo:

My Starting 11

In other news...

Finally some Merthyr feedback. You're doing better than me so far. Congratulations. I play a similar tactic, just change MC to AMC. Also have Jack Palmer who is doing ok.

Ademeno is playing for Bishop's Storford. He has 22 goals in 26 appearances so far.

Well I'm back again. The likes of Dafuge, Jimbo and possibly a few others will probably remember me from my many adventures with Bath City over the previous 2 years challenges which resulted in great success first time around but not quite being able to go the finial step in FM07.

In theory i should be able to get the game tomorrow and i will boot up the challenge straight away. With my beloved Bath City now no longer eligible i will have to opt for the team closest to them that is eligible and manage Chippenham.

I will update with the usual necessities once I'm up and ready to go.

As they say let the games begin icon_wink.gif

I'm soooo close to reaching a playoff place with AFC Hornchurch.

League Table

It is my 5th season in charge, I've never finished higher than 10th and I have a horrible feeling that it's all going to go wrong in my last league game.

I'm playing Bath away, who are way down the bottom of the table, but I have never beaten them at their place. To make matters worse, the 2 teams that can catch me (Brombley and AFC Wimbledon) play each other as their last fixture. If I lose and they draw, I miss out on goal difference, if I draw and Bromley win, they leapfrog me on points. It's pretty nerve wracking and I really don't want to start this last game icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden:

oh and by the way i registered for the website, haven´t got confirmation e-mail, been waiting two days now..

Use the contact form on the website to let me know, and check your spam filter.

Originally posted by ScottishSteven:

Quick query, probably more for Alan than anyone else.

I don't see a section on the website for "Other Achievements" when you are updating your progress.

Am I missing something obvious mate? (probably am knowing me icon_biggrin.gif )

Its still to be added, im hopefully going to flesh that section of the website out to include all cup competitions but taking a week to actually play the game first.

I may also need some help with research if someone could detail all possible winnable competitions from each league that would be really handy!

Originally posted by XaW:

Btw, I have to call myself XaW84 on the website since I cannot have only 3 characters in my username there nor in the "Forumname" box....just to let you know...

I'll make a note to change this and if you drop me an email (use the contact form on the website) i'll get your username changed.

Sorry for all the posts people, replying to threads I need to as I get to them. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by mattyday315:

im willing to help with that allen if you want

so you need winnable trophies for

blue square south and north

blue square premier

league 2

league 1

championship

premiership

Yup spot on icon_smile.gif

I guess if I'm going to be through should also track also winnable trophies for if you have won the league/cup (like the charity shield) or if you won the uefa cup / champs league.

Thanks.

Chelmsford City 2009/2010 end of season

After a good win in the first game against a good cambridge utd side things went from bad to worse quickly and no matter how i tinkered with tactics i thought relegation was a prospect.

but with a last ditch tactic change and that keeper released by swansea see earlier post about him and the fact that crawley town went on a 9 game losing run i managed to stay in blue square premier league graph so this was the final satndings

but there was a bright side to the season made over £300,000 profit finances

hopefully next season might get some transfer funds now but this season had none so had to resort to freebies so spent nowt to bring in 19 players but got rid of 6 players for a grand total of wait for it £2000 transfers so this gave me after tinkering with reserves this 1st team for the season and the rest went into the reserves to keep match fit incase of emergencies

as last season nathan jarman was best player in the squad star player

and finally the last onto my management of the club profile as you can see they think my club and player loyalty is poor but im doing well for the club so hopefully can turn this round next season, my have to do a bit more with the squad to increase hands on but the 1 that is upsetting me is the financial control ok i may have spent a couple of hundred a week over wage budget since january transfer window to keep team in BSP but we still made £322,563 overall this season so how can my financial control rating drop so low

if you worked for a company and made that sort of profit for them they give you a bonus and praise you for a job well done but it seems not if your a footie manager how fickle life can be

Transfer lesson learnt. Don't sell 20+ players in one off season and bring in 12 new ones it plays hell on your previous amazing tactics and after 9 games you will be 0-4-5 4pts. And after 14 be 2-6-6 12pts.

Though the reserve squad will be 6-1-0 in their league playing your old tactics. Turn control of Senior squad over to the Ass Man after 9 games without a win and wow he turned it round 5 games for 2-2-1... Why? Who knows...But I see myself getting fired soon.

I suppose it is a huge lesson for when I start my Prescott game when 08 finally turns up. He actually swapped squads and called up the whole reserves line-up all the players I rated 2nd or 3rd in positions and using my tactic he has pulled it back. But then again maybe it is just that the team is finally starting to gel again...Well now going to restrict my off season transfers a bit more and maybe keep to one player a month during the season and 3 players in off season this should keep the players happy as I aim to move up again.

Worksop Town - Blue Square North - Season 2008/09

i've previously posted about my form so far, which is exceeding my expectations (2nd in late October), so now i thought i'd post screenshots on 5 of my main players so far.

first up is my penalty taking, free-scoring centre back Brian Mcewan.

Brian McEwan

Despite his young age, he's been really reliable for me so far, chipping in with a number of vital goals from corners. he has also scored once from the penalty spot, and so far has proved to be pretty reliable.

Next up is my midfield duo of Just in Cochrane and Oliver Hotchkiss

Justin Cochrane

Oliver Hotchkiss

Cochrane is proving to be a real leader of the team and is pretty much the focal point of the team. he does have a habit of picking up cards, but i don't want to tell him to calm down as i think he's lose something from his game. As for Hotchkiss, he's the perfect partner. gets forward well, and has a nice habit of firing in thr free-kicks. i'd love to give him a rest now and again but his absense is felt when he's missing

Upfront my star man is Zavon Hines.

Zavon Hines

although he was a little slow to start scoring, he's become a consistent scorer for me now and has earnt his place in my starting XI. He does have a tendancy to go missing every now and again in games, but i can't complain too much

Finally, it's my super loan signing Luke Malcher, on loan from Huddersfield.

Luke Malcher

within four minutes of making his debut as sub in the FA Cup 2nd Qualifying round away at Buxton, he'd notched his first goal. a few minutes later he got his second, which effectively killed off the tie. has kept up his goalscoring record since, which would probably be better had he not played a couple of his games as a right winger bursting into the box.

hopefully these players, and a few others, will help me keep up the fight at the top of the Blue Square North this season...

Halesowen Town 2009/2010

Blue Square Premier - Media prediction 23rd

Transfer-wise, a lot of the deadwood was cut from the squad in the earlier part of the season, and replaced with a handful of quality players.

The season started pretty poorly for Halesowen town, and by October we were languishing in 17th position. Having been offered a couple of distinctly average players by parent club Walsall, I decided to ditch them and search for a bigger parent club. Along came the choice - Birmingham or West Brom. Took West Brom with their excellent youth facilities.

A Week or so later WBA offered me a much better loanee than before. He was far too good to be playing in the BSP and ended up as the league's top scorer.

My form peaked with 6 consecutive league wins and good form in the FA cup and FA trophy. Another quality loanee came from WBA in january. Chris Craig. My FA cup run culminated with a 5-1 stuffing at the hands of Liverpool in the 3rd round, but this brought in some much needed cash.

Through the latter part of the season my team went from strength to strength, showing consistent form in the league, hauling us up to 3rd spot, but well adrift of Leaders Aldershot and Oxford.Table

However the highlights of the season were still to come..... Winning the FA trophy over rochdale, and a week later the playoff finalagainst a depleted Oxford Utd.

There is currently rife speculation on whether I will remain with Halesowen, despite pledging my future to the club and requesting a new contract.

Bring on the football league!

Originally posted by Allan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mattyday315:

im willing to help with that allen if you want

so you need winnable trophies for

blue square south and north

blue square premier

league 2

league 1

championship

premiership

Yup spot on icon_smile.gif

I guess if I'm going to be through should also track also winnable trophies for if you have won the league/cup (like the charity shield) or if you won the uefa cup / champs league.

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still looking for help with this:

Need a breakdown of each cup competition, and the requierments to enter it. for example:

Charity Shield:

Win FA cup or Win premiership

Archived