FM10: Official Liverpool thread - Home of El Niño

weeeman27bob

Just started my first Liverpool game on FM10, I'm somewhat familiar with the team and tactics as I played the demo.

Transfers in:

Angel Di Maria - £4m

Juan Manuel Vargas - £10m

Srna - £10.5m

Transfers out:

Lucas - £9.75m

Ryan Babel - £11.5m

Andrea Dossena - £9.5m

Voronin - £6m

Plessis - £850k

Try and sign Hamsik, I signed him on the demo for £8-10m and he was amazing as a box-to-box midfielder. I remember him having somthing like 8 goals 5 assists in 11 appearances. Although you do then have the problem of Aqualani coming back. For some reason in the full game Hamsik is more expensive, I couldn't sign him even when offering £14 million.

Also, Vargas as a left winger set to attack is immense. I started a save as Real Madrid and he had 2 assists 1 goal in 3 matches. His overall contribution to the team was also very good.

Formation: 4-4-1-1

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently 5 wins out of 5 in my first season.

Went slightly overboard on signings. All incoming signings are paid over 48months. Outgoings are mostly upfront payments except Cavalieri's irc. I play with 3 forwards so they will all get a game. The two wide forwards come inside.

liverpoolfm2010v.png w1024.png

One thing I have noticed is sometimes you are no longer notified if other clubs put bids in for players on your Short list. Possibly private bids?

Hey guys, i am just starting with the best team - Liverpool.Just wanted to ask one stupid question because i want to set up everything right. I would like to ask you which NATIONS and respectively which leagues should i load at the start.Please tell me so i can start my game.

Thanks a lot!

ok ,that's bizzare...i posted 30mins ago in here and it's vanished...

Ill ask again ,has anybody witnessed a board take over yet at liverpool?

Same here am having to uninstall my game as i installed it manually where you have to have the disk in the drive but i keep getting a message saying theres no disc in the drive when there is so going to have to re-install it and go via steam so no disc in the drive

Cant believe it got the game at 1PM and still havent started yet :(

How are people playing Gerrard?

On the demo i was playing him as AMC as advanced playmaker but if you look at John Smiths thread about Filters he is the perfect player (stats wise) in CM to play as a deep lying playmaker

Wondering wheter to give it a try and try my best to get Cassano for AMC

Thoughts?

I'm Playing Gerrard as Trequartista in a 4-2-3-1 position, and he's on fire, 17 goals and 14 assists in 28 games. Torres is set as a poacher and has 34 goals in 35 games.

Am planning on using a 4-2-3-1 do you have Torres set as target man with ball to feet and Gerrard as Playmaker as i might give yours a go

I play with Aquilani as deep lying playmaker beside Mascherano as Anchor Man. Gerrard is just set as a trequartista in behind Torres who is a Poacher. Aquilani and gerrard just keep playing through balls to Torres, and Gerrard keeps getting the rebounds.

I've got a similar set up with Gerrard and Torres. Granted I'm only in pre season but it's not bad so far. 2 games played, 9 scored and none conceded. Torres with 5 and Gerrard with 2. Playing a 4-2-3-1 with Masch lying a little deeper in def mid role set to defend. Lucas set as supporting central mid. Riera and Yossi as traditional supporting wide men, Gerrard as trequartista and Torres as an advanced forward, set as target man with ball to feet.

Trying to bring in some players but really struggling. Hamsik is my main target but only got £10.5m to spend. Sold Babel for £11.5m and Dossena for £9.5m. And agreed deals to bring in Jadson and Tore Reginiussen on free transfers in Jan. Plus Martin Galvan for £1.4m and Gonzalo Barreto for £650k.

Any players for reasonable market values you guys can recommend?

I'll list my transfers.

In's

Otamendi - Loan

Di Maria - £5 Million

Joe Mattock - £2 million

Van der Wiel - Loan

Keko - 50k

Skjelbred - 1.9million

Gourcouff - £17million

Out's

Degen - £4 Million

Cavalieiri - £4 million

Dossena -6million

Babel - 10million

Pacheco - 750k

Aurellio - 4.8million

Kacalitnink(sp?) - 350k

Buchmann - 300k

I brought in Van Der Weil for cover for Johnson in case he got injured, is capable of filling in. Mattack is cover for insua, and both have played unbelievably well this season with average rating of 7.20 each.

Gourcouff was my most expensive purchase, but he is immense, can play the Trequartista role, or the AMR as well.

De Maria has been a bargain for £5million, he scores and assists regularly in AML.

Just started.

In:

Jovetic £10m + £6m over 48 months

Out:

Babel £7.5m

Lucas £9m

Dossena £5m

Voronin £3.3m

Jovetic scored 1 minute into his debut. Still working my way through all the friendlies and that. Is it just bad luck that every time a new game is out, half of Liverpool's squad is injured!

Started a new save myself am having a big clear out looking on getting rid of Cavalieri, Degen, Dossena, Kyrgiakos, Riera, Babel, Lucas, Benayoun, Voronin, Kuyt and a few reserve players

Am looking on getting Cassano(but wondering where to play him if i do), Di Maria, Hamsik, Suarez, Salvio, Otamendi, Lukaku and a few others if possible

Pretty modest start for me. Not too much activity in the transfer window, focusing more on getting a good tactic going. Settled for a 4-5-1 with an anchorman, box-to-box midfielder and trequartista. Attacking wing backs and wingers too. Anyway, my modest ins and outs are as follows:

In: Vukcevic (£6m), Adrien (£5m) (Raiding Sporting CP for talent lol), Edman (£3.5m), Poulsen (£1.5m)

Out: Dossena (£9.5m), Aurelio (£5.25m), Lucas (£10m), Degen (Loan, £725k, option to buy for £4.1m), Voronin (Loan, £525k, option to buy for £3m)

Edman and Poulsen are cover for Left-back and Right Wing while Vukcevic and Adrien are longish-term signings for the centre/def mid and attacking midfield roles. Will probably go a bit more crazy in Season 2, but I'm not faring too badly so far. Beaten in a crazy game at the Emirates 5-4 by the Arsenal, but apart from that solid results.

Edit: No sooner do I say that, Mascherano gets sent off for elbowing in the next game. FM10: Taking realism to a whole new level.

Anyone else finding Ngog a really promising prospect? I'm over half way through my first season and he's been superb when needed in Torres' absence.

I bought Gignac at the start of the season and he's been rubbish for some reason. Perhaps i'm not playing him to his strengths. But Ngog has been great and has been true to real life scoring in most games he's played in.

I've ended up selling Gignac to Aston Villa and bringing in Suarez from Ajax who was transfer listed for £5m. He's going to have to be pretty good to remove Ngog tbh. If he settles in well enough and contributes with goals when played as a striker then i'll probably stick with Torres/NGog/Suarez as my strike force for as long as possible (i only play with 1 striker).

By the way, Torres began tutoring NGog at the start of the season which may of helped.

Let me know what you guys have seen in NGog so far.

*EDIT*

Also, Lucas has been unstoppable from the very first game of the season. For everyone who's selling him at the beginning, give him the chance for at least one season. Aquilani is obviously out for a few months and takes a while to get match fit and settled, so give Lucas a chance! You may be suprised, and you'll still make a nice amount from selling him after one season if he doesn't impress.

Well a thoroughly disappointing start to the league campaign at home to Hull with a 1-0 defeat. 19 shots on my behalf to Hull's 1 on target which Geovanni scored a deflected shot from (BUG!!! 1 shot 1 goal haha). Boaz Myhill getting MOM for Hull so I guess he just had a belter of a game. Bought Angel Di Maria for £4.5m (injured on his debut for 2wks) to play wide left as either a winger or an inside forward.

Trying to still get rid of a few players to fund a few other transfers - Aurelio and Voronin are the 2 others I'm looking to get rid of, also considering Lucas, Kuyt and Riera. Degan out on loan with a future fee of £4m, so here's hoping he has a good season on loan

Hey guys, i am just starting with the best team - Liverpool.Just wanted to ask one stupid question because i want to set up everything right. I would like to ask you which NATIONS and respectively which leagues should i load at the start.Please tell me so i can start my game.

Thanks a lot!

Anyone? Not going to hurt if you answer me.. i promise..

It's entirely up to you, although I would recommend running the leagues where Liverpool has feeder clubs - Greece & Hungary, and make sure you have the English leagues running down to at least League 2. Beyond that it's down to personal preference.

It's entirely up to you, although I would recommend running the leagues where Liverpool has feeder clubs - Greece & Hungary, and make sure you have the English leagues running down to at least League 2. Beyond that it's down to personal preference.

Thanks a lot.Really!

It's up to you and what your computer can handle mate. I normally load English (obviously), Italian and Spanish. Sometimes the Belgium so I can check matches for feeder clubs etc but forgot to do this in my game. I also have Large database with most of the players loaded. Think loaded players came to about 230,000.

Started my first save on FM10(on the demo so far) with liverpool.

Have to say I like what I've seen so far of FM10, especially the new approach to tactics, even though I haven't really mastered it yet...

Sad that our economy isn't the best. Been trying to sell some players to get som funds but since you only get 50% it's not easy.

Ins: (all prices in euro)

Guti - Loan 350K Loan fee

Pandev - Loan 1.3 mil Loan ee

Bentley - Loan 3.3 mil Loan fee

Konko - 4.6 mil + Bruna

Aréola - 60K

Muggleton 400K

Outs:

Babel - 12.25 mil

Voronin - Loan fee 1 mil

Dossena - 7 mil

Degen - 2.5 mil

Bruna - P/Ex

Also trying to get Borriello (loan) and Kalou (transfer) who are all on the transfer list.

Have been playing a 4-2-3-1 so far with wingers. Gerrard as AMC - advanced playmaker(support) and Torres as advanced forward.

Played two matches so far (Villa home and City away) and Torres as been playing well scoring 3, however Gerrard has been struggling so maybe I'll change his instructions or maybe move him down to CM (however he's not natural as CM anymore...).

The first match against Villa was ok. Won with 2-0 at anfield after two goals by Torres. Also Benayoun played well on the right flank.

Just finished my second game against Man City, away, and lost 1-4(!). Kyrgiakos was shown a red card and City was awarded 2 penalties. We didn't play well at all, conceding 4 goals was however more down to individual mistakes. I decided to play Kyrgiakos since Skrtel had just come back from an injury and wasn't in top form and also I tought the Kyrgiakos could neutralise Adebayor in the air - not a good a decision...

Now hopefully I/the team will be able to bounce back and win the next one. Hopefully a few reinforcements soon, as well as some injured players returning.

Also my computer can't seem to cope with the new match enginge so it's the old 2D classic for me now. But that's ok.

Cheers

EDIT: My game crashed (for the second time so far - though it's only the demo) before I could save so I had to replay the City game. Was thinking of losing it on purpose but since it's just the demo I didn't - won 3-0 after a hat-trick by Torres...

i sold off a few players and took a punt on vincenzo laquinta from juventus. its december and things are looking good, sitting second in the league and easily qualified for the last 16 of the champions league. torres and laquinta have been incredible so far. laquinta has scored 14 goals in 19 games and torres has got 17 in 19. gerrard has 9 goals and 12 assists. :D

Ive had to Uninstall the game (kept my save and tactics and stuff) as i keep getting the message like lots of other people that the disc isnt in the drive when it certainly is

Ive lost too much game time due to it so am installing via steam so that way dont need a disc fingers crossed everything will be alright

Right sorted through steam ill post my transfers just before i start the new season made some big purchases anyone had Cassano? am playing him AML atm but looking on slotting him in at AMC/ST if Torres or Gerrard are injured but dont know what instructions to give him?

As I mentioned above I tried to get Kalou, who was on the transfer list, but now he joined At.Madrid instead. Have offers accepted for - Di Maria (transfer 5mil), Vargas (loan) and Capel (loan). Need a AML (know Vargas is mostly ML but he's still useful) so who do you think I should go for? Also Jovetic could be availible on loan but I'm not sure.

Fake edit: Another long little story...

Since I'd already decided what formation to use and what players to bring in and let go, I decided to leave the demo alone for the last week to build up more excitement when the game was finally released.

So yesterday I was off to a good start, setting up coaches, scouting etc. and starting to offload the usual suspects of Babel, Dossena, Voronin and Degen.

The plan was to play 4-4-1-1 and 4-2-3-1 depending on the opposition etc., so I wanted to bring in Chinedu Obasi as a proper right winger, Juan Manuel Vargas as a very good full back and Artem Milevskyi and Miguel Veloso as covers for the striker and CM positions respectively.

As it turns out, there's some difference between the demo and the full game. I think there are some minor changes to the players, but also since this is not a quick-load, the random numbers play quite a big part. Eventually Fiorentina wanted 35m for Vargas so I was left red-faced when I sold Aurelio and had no cover on the left. Right then, I'll just buy Alvaro Pereira from Porto instead. Oh wait no, they want 20m for him. Panic time? Nah, I'll go buy Criscito and play him on the left for the first season until I get a proper left back, then he can be the ball playing defender in the centre as Carragher gets older. What's this? You can only offer straight cash for co-owned players? Bugger, gonna have to sell Benayoun who I'd originally planned on keeping as he's very versatile and quite good. Suffice to say he now hates me.

Sadly while Juventus accepted the 6.5m offer for their stake in Criscito right away, there was some haggling with Geno and my last offer matching their 7.5m valuation took nearly 3 weeks to be accepted (the day before the transfer window closed). For some strange reason, when they finally did accept... nothing. Not sure if it'd been cancelled since it was so protracted, but after acceptance I had no bid for him at all and it was 7am on the 31st of August. Cue massive panic. As I'd gotten off to a good start in the league, the board decided to give me 14m more to spend so I could offer 7.5m for both half parts while also forking out 2.2m for Joe Mattock.

At the end of the (transfer window) day I got my men, but at some cost to both the bankroll and my rapidly retreating hairline.

My team's not quite where I want it just yet and there's room for improvement, but overall I think I've come out really strong.

I bought Criscito, Mattock, Obasi, Di Maria and Alex Teixeira as well as the three youngsters Castaignos, Borja Baston and Daniel Mora for a total of 46.5m, having gotten 34.5m in and hopefully another 10m after the season with three loan-to-buy offloads. With the 2m I had at the beginning and the 14m injection, that's a good balancing of the books.

Starting out at home against Fulham I ran out easy 3-0 winners, Torres scoring two and Gerrard snatching a third. It really was nice domination football. Next up was Wolves at home, and they were really packing tight at the back. It was an annoying game. While I took the lead early on, I couldn't seem to get that second goal despite having some chances, and then Carragher went and got himself a red card, not exactly making things easier on me. Even less so with my spare defender being Skrtel who'd only returned the day before. Nothing to do but remove the creative options and sit tight to bring it home.

Then the away games began and first up was Villa. Things weren't too good from the outset; With Skrtel being far from match fit and Insua suffering from food poisoning and my failed transfer market antics to boot I was in for a very long game. Despite taking a cautious approach, I was immediately backpedalling and coming under way too much pressure without managing to retain possession. It wasn't a pretty first half and Villa were 1-0 up. Cue some inspired half time talks, clever tactical adjustments and a Captain Fantastic on form and 25 minutes later I was up 2-1 and desperately pressing adjusting my tactics to sit deep. I managed to drive it home and Glen Johnson was immediately out in the press after the game saying what a brilliant genius I am! Not gonna argue with that, am I?

Still without the desperately needed replacements in defense it was time to go to Bolton. Fortunately both Skrtel and Insua were slightly better off and I decided to take a pretty offensive approach. Realising that no matter which of their strikers they'd use, they'd slow to the point of stationary I felt I could use this to my advantage and play with a really high backline, very offensive full backs and even drawing first Kuyt, then Riera up to the AMR/L positions as the game progressed. I was right, they never really managed to do anything but lob long balls up to Simon Davies who'd flick it on from the midfield to... Reina. It wasn't easy to break them down in the other end though, and it really became most of all a show of how to pass a ball back and forth for 92 minutes with 61% possession and 77% pass completion. Right until the third minute in injury time where N'gog, coming on for his first of the season, neatly made himself available for a short square ball from Riera who'd run it half a length, passing it into the back of the net. And there was much rejoicing!

And so ends the first month of competitive football. Four straight wins, topping the table, getting Manager of the Month award, receiving praise from both my players and opposing managers, having Gerrard take PotM and Insua YPotM and getting most of my transfer targets.

Time to look ahead to games against tougher opponents, some CL action and tapping up Vargas so I can get him next year!

Edit: Should probably add that the reason I was so desperate for a good attacking DL was to try Di Maria as an inside forward which should work well with his tendency to cut inside. And that I decided against Veloso and Milevskyi partly for financial reasons and partly because Veloso has lost a lot of his defensive traits, basically making him good only as a deep lying playmaker, which I'm not interested in. And I trust N'gog enough while also having Kuyt and Teixeira as backups for the striker position.

End of transfer window.

In:

Stevan Jovetic - £10m + £6m over 48 months

Keko - £1m

Joe Mattock - £2m

Cristian Ansaldi - £3.5m

Denilson - Ln fee £2.6m

Buonanotte - Ln fee £1.2m

Out:

Lucas - £9m

Ryan Babel - £7.5m

Andrea Dossena - £5m

Andriy Voronin - £3m

Fabio Aurelio - £5m

Philipp Degen - £3m

Damien Plessis - £1m

Yossi Benayoun - £13m

So far had some fairly poor results, but hopefully now I have a strong tactical format, should improve soon.

Fake edit: Another long little story...

Since I'd already decided what formation to use and what players to bring in and let go, I decided to leave the demo alone for the last week to build up more excitement when the game was finally released.

So yesterday I was off to a good start, setting up coaches, scouting etc. and starting to offload the usual suspects of Babel, Dossena, Voronin and Degen.

The plan was to play 4-4-1-1 and 4-2-3-1 depending on the opposition etc., so I wanted to bring in Chinedu Obasi as a proper right winger, Juan Manuel Vargas as a very good full back and Artem Milevskyi and Miguel Veloso as covers for the striker and CM positions respectively.

As it turns out, there's some difference between the demo and the full game. I think there are some minor changes to the players, but also since this is not a quick-load, the random numbers play quite a big part. Eventually Fiorentina wanted 35m for Vargas so I was left red-faced when I sold Aurelio and had no cover on the left. Right then, I'll just buy Alvaro Pereira from Porto instead. Oh wait no, they want 20m for him. Panic time? Nah, I'll go buy Criscito and play him on the left for the first season until I get a proper left back, then he can be the ball playing defender in the centre as Carragher gets older. What's this? You can only offer straight cash for co-owned players? Bugger, gonna have to sell Benayoun who I'd originally planned on keeping as he's very versatile and quite good. Suffice to say he now hates me.

Sadly while Juventus accepted the 6.5m offer for their stake in Criscito right away, there was some haggling with Geno and my last offer matching their 7.5m valuation took nearly 3 weeks to be accepted (the day before the transfer window closed). For some strange reason, when they finally did accept... nothing. Not sure if it'd been cancelled since it was so protracted, but after acceptance I had no bid for him at all and it was 7am on the 31st of August. Cue massive panic. As I'd gotten off to a good start in the league, the board decided to give me 14m more to spend so I could offer 7.5m for both half parts while also forking out 2.2m for Joe Mattock.

At the end of the (transfer window) day I got my men, but at some cost to both the bankroll and my rapidly retreating hairline.

My team's not quite where I want it just yet and there's room for improvement, but overall I think I've come out really strong.

I bought Criscito, Mattock, Obasi, Di Maria and Alex Teixeira as well as the three youngsters Castaignos, Borja Baston and Daniel Mora for a total of 46.5m, having gotten 34.5m in and hopefully another 10m after the season with three loan-to-buy offloads. With the 2m I had at the beginning and the 14m injection, that's a good balancing of the books.

Starting out at home against Fulham I ran out easy 3-0 winners, Torres scoring two and Gerrard snatching a third. It really was nice domination football. Next up was Wolves at home, and they were really packing tight at the back. It was an annoying game. While I took the lead early on, I couldn't seem to get that second goal despite having some chances, and then Carragher went and got himself a red card, not exactly making things easier on me. Even less so with my spare defender being Skrtel who'd only returned the day before. Nothing to do but remove the creative options and sit tight to bring it home.

Then the away games began and first up was Villa. Things weren't too good from the outset; With Skrtel being far from match fit and Insua suffering from food poisoning and my failed transfer market antics to boot I was in for a very long game. Despite taking a cautious approach, I was immediately backpedalling and coming under way too much pressure without managing to retain possession. It wasn't a pretty first half and Villa were 1-0 up. Cue some inspired half time talks, clever tactical adjustments and a Captain Fantastic on form and 25 minutes later I was up 2-1 and desperately pressing adjusting my tactics to sit deep. I managed to drive it home and Glen Johnson was immediately out in the press after the game saying what a brilliant genius I am! Not gonna argue with that, am I?

Still without the desperately needed replacements in defense it was time to go to Bolton. Fortunately both Skrtel and Insua were slightly better off and I decided to take a pretty offensive approach. Realising that no matter which of their strikers they'd use, they'd slow to the point of stationary I felt I could use this to my advantage and play with a really high backline, very offensive full backs and even drawing first Kuyt, then Riera up to the AMR/L positions as the game progressed. I was right, they never really managed to do anything but lob long balls up to Simon Davies who'd flick it on from the midfield to... Reina. It wasn't easy to break them down in the other end though, and it really became most of all a show of how to pass a ball back and forth for 92 minutes with 61% possession and 77% pass completion. Right until the third minute in injury time where N'gog, coming on for his first of the season, neatly made himself available for a short square ball from Riera who'd run it half a length, passing it into the back of the net. And there was much rejoicing!

And so ends the first month of competitive football. Four straight wins, topping the table, getting Manager of the Month award, receiving praise from both my players and opposing managers, having Gerrard take PotM and Insua YPotM and getting most of my transfer targets.

Time to look ahead to games against tougher opponents, some CL action and tapping up Vargas so I can get him next year!

Edit: Should probably add that the reason I was so desperate for a good attacking DL was to try Di Maria as an inside forward which should work well with his tendency to cut inside. And that I decided against Veloso and Milevskyi partly for financial reasons and partly because Veloso has lost a lot of his defensive traits, basically making him good only as a deep lying playmaker, which I'm not interested in. And I trust N'gog enough while also having Kuyt and Teixeira as backups for the striker position.

Looks like good start!

Just wondering what's you're starting XI, when everyone is injury free?

Also did you manage to get Veloso and Milevskyi? If so, how much did you have to pay?

Keep up the good work!

Has anyone managed to fit both Gerrard and Aquilani in a 4-2-3-1 formation? Gerrard is a Trequartista atm and has been on fire, but Aquilani is coming back from injury.

I'd suggest keeping Gerrard as your Trequartista and playing Aquilani alongside Masch in midfield. Perhaps as a deep lying playmaker or box to box midfielder? Any chance you could upload your 4-2-3-1 mate? I've been trying to create one and have struggled as far!

Looks like good start!

Just wondering what's you're starting XI, when everyone is injury free?

Also did you manage to get Veloso and Milevskyi? If so, how much did you have to pay?

Keep up the good work!

I'm mostly for a rotation policy based on form with just a few people assured regular spots. And even then, given similar quality players, they're unlikely to be assured a spot either. So it varies quite a lot. If say Riera has had a poor game, I'm likely to start with Di Maria in for the next game or two. This mostly goes for the wingers since there isn't that much flexibility in the squad or the formation right now. And also, it depends on opposition. If I think I'm going to have to close down the opposition on the wings, I'm very likely to play Kuyt and use him either as an MR or even a defensive winger. So sadly I can't give you my starting eleven as they're rarely the same.

As far as Veloso and Milevskyi go, check the edit I made to my post. I would really have liked to have Veloso as an all round midfielder that could play both Aquilani's and Mascherano's positions, but in my save his defensive stats are lacking quite a lot and so I feel Lucas offers more flexibility. I've considered Hamsik, but he suffers the same with no defensive qualities.

And I don't think I can afford having two really good ball playing midfielders in the team currently.

I'm open to suggestions about good all-round midfielders similar to Lucas (who admittedly is more defensively minded but can play the more offensive part in a pinch).

Just realised N'gogs a -8! easily a -9, especially if Bruna and Nemeth are -9's. Will change it and really butter him up to be good :)
I agree mate. N'gog's goals to minutes ratio irl is fantastic. Easily a -9. I will be changing it in the editor!

Quite easily noticeable that he is a completely average player. A couple of goals doesn't make him a -9.

As I mentioned above I tried to get Kalou, who was on the transfer list, but now he joined At.Madrid instead. Have offers accepted for - Di Maria (transfer 5mil), Vargas (loan) and Capel (loan). Need a AML (know Vargas is mostly ML but he's still useful) so who do you think I should go for? Also Jovetic could be availible on loan but I'm not sure.

Jovetic was poor for me on the demo ,not tried him on the full version.

Another year, another FM and another chance to prove that I can do a better job than Rafa ... at playing Football Manager :)

I have messed around we the demo and, like everyone, I was frustration with the lack of funds. I usually do a large number of transfers but for my first game I going to make do with the current squad and wait until January or next season to do transfers. I chose to “Challenge for Title” to allow me some mistakes during the season.

I start by analyse the squad using the "Assistant Reports" and my own judgement and I have decided to go with a 442 to start. Although, IRL Rafa goes with 4411 or a 4231 I don’t think the squad can manage that successfully at the beginning of the season. I’ll try and explain.

The normal 4411 has one MC as a ball winner and the second MC as a supporting midfielder of some type. Mascherano can fill the DMC easily but the other MC is a problem position (as Rafa discovered). No Aquilani for the first part of the season. Lucas has not got the passing and creativity so that leaves Gerrard to fill the position. That means the AMC is now filled by Benayoun so that leaves the MR position for Kuyt and that does not work for me. He has not got the pace or dribbling for a winger or the passing, crossing and creative for a wide midfielder. However, the 4411 can work once Aquilani is fit and I will probably switch to that once he is fit.

The 4231 gets closer but the AML position is a problem for me. The AMR position can be filled by Kuyt or Benayoun but AML position needs someone that will score goals and that means having to drop Riera and using Babel. Tried this in the demo and I could not get it to work. Actually, I could not get Babel to work anywhere and I would recommend selling him but I would be a hypocrite because I have not sold him and I have come up with an idea for playing Babel.

So 442 it is and this is my squad:

GK (Sweeper Keeper/Defend) Reina / Cavalieri

DR (Full Back/Attack) Johnson / Degen

DL (Full Back/Automatic) Aurelio / Insua

DC (Central Defender/Defend) Carragher / Skrtel

DC (Central Defender/Defend) Agger / Kyrgiakos

MR (Wide Midfielder/Automatic) Benayoun / Castelen

ML (Winger/Attack) Riera / Dossena

MC (Ball Winning Midfielder/Defend) Mascherano / Lucas

MC (Box to Box Midfielder/Support) Gerrard / Aquilani

ST (Target Man/Support) Kuyt / Voronin

ST (Poacher/Attack) Torres / Babel

Ah, Babel as a backup poacher, not original but in theory this should work. Also, who is Castelen? I need a back up MR and Castelen was a cheap loan, if I am lucky I will not have to play him.

Those with a keen eye would have notice that the formation is not symmetrical. I have asked Johnson to push on and have Benayoun a little less attacking. I have not asked the same from Aurelio. The plan is to have the crosses coming from the best source from either wing (Johnson and Riera) and still keep some defence on the right.

I have complete pre-season and it has gone well. No injuries, lots of goals and only conceded one. I thought I’ll post this to give you an insight how the players do if they do not move on and to receive some advice.

livstatspre.gif

livfixpre.gif

something very weird has just happened, i am liverpool and i agree to loan out degen to sunderland for £525k now and future fee of £2.5M future fee and he joined them... then 11 days later i get a bid from reading to loan in degen for 6 months and i accept and now he is at reading instead of sunderland

Currently 2 points clear at the top after 29 games of first season - minimal amount of transfers so far but sold the usual suspects. Will sell a few more at the end of the season. Everton are 2nd....As if!!

Ins

Andrade - Free

Campbell - Free

Van Der Vaart - £1.1 Loan

Amoah - £1.4m

Petrov - £2.9m

Van Nistelrooy - £475k

Outs

Andrade - £4.6m

Degen - £1.5m

Voronin - £3m

Dossena - £9.5m

El Zhar - £1.7m

Babel - £11.5m

Torres has 33 in 37 games....

Nooooooo just got a crash dump and all my saves wont work am going to have to start again i only played 1 league game and spent ages getting my transfers sorted really peed off :(

I feel your pain. After my excellent start to the season, I went to have a nap and saved my game and quit FM. After coming back, it now says it can't load the game and I'm left with an autosave from the last friendly...

Sigh, I guess it's time to start saving twice every time and on the other hand, make sure my transfers aren't as panicky and perhaps even try a new thing or two.

Archived