Golden Joystick awards

Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

I love the way people try to get attention by saying they aren't going to vote for FM and/or SI! If they hate FM/SI so much why are they making them look good by being registered on the website, therefore increasing the number of members it has and also viewing and contributing (well not anything decent but still are) to the threads, making the threads look more popular and any newcomer that comes here, impresses them further!

To some up my thoughts about these anti-FMers; LOL.

yeah, I'm sure pretending the game is faultless is really contributing something decent.

I'm sure SI appreciate constructive criticism more than they do brown nosers who would give the game 10/10 if it were a blank disc with Football Manager scrawled on the front in biro.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Will Smith:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

I love the way people try to get attention by saying they aren't going to vote for FM and/or SI! If they hate FM/SI so much why are they making them look good by being registered on the website, therefore increasing the number of members it has and also viewing and contributing (well not anything decent but still are) to the threads, making the threads look more popular and any newcomer that comes here, impresses them further!

To some up my thoughts about these anti-FMers; LOL.

PS If I cba I would vote for FM and SI but tbh I cba as you lot have it in the bag alreadyicon_wink.gif

so because people don't like the product they cannot contribute anything decent? people register here to report bugs, data errors, general feedback, ideas for improvement and praise where its due. If you're saying you should only register here to be brownnosers then you've missed the entire point of these forums </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say that because people don't like the product they can't contribute anything decent. What I said was if you don't like the product why post on the forums?

Originally posted by therubberducky27:

If you can give me one good reason why i should vote for a shoddy game, i *might* vote for FM.

I eagerly await your response. kthanks.

That is the sort of post I'm referring to.

Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

I'm sorry Miles. But I cannot, in good conscience, vote for your game this year. It would be a very hypocritical thing for me to do - I would be voting out of loyalty to the product as opposed to the game itself.

I do hope that you do not just listen to the praise you have had for this game and look at some of the "perceived" faults that are apparent to some of us and look to resolve them for FM09 so that I can happily provide you with a vote from myself next time.

That sort of post I have nothing against. He has stated that he won't be voting for FM and has also finished the post on a positive note about next year. I have nothing against this sort of poster.

register here to be brownnosers then you've missed the entire point of these forums

Again, I didn't say that! I refer to my response above, that was and is my point.

Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by therubberducky27:

If you can give me one good reason why i should vote for a shoddy game, i *might* vote for FM.

I'm sorry Miles. But I cannot, in good conscience, vote for your game this year. It would be a very hypocritical thing for me to do - I would be voting out of loyalty to the product as opposed to the game itself.

I do hope that you do not just listen to the praise you have had for this game and look at some of the "perceived" faults that are apparent to some of us and look to resolve them for FM09 so that I can happily provide you with a vote from myself next time.

That sort of post I have nothing against. He has stated that he won't be voting for FM and has also finished the post on a positive note about next year. I have nothing against this sort of poster. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carter makes the same point as me - just with all the bells and whistles attached. It goes without saying ( which is why i didnt say it in the first place) that if SI up their game, and produce a superior product, I would be more than happy to vote for it next year.

However as it stands, I dont think the game deserves the award this year due to persistent bugs (eg the confidence issues, transfer market), and it would only mask the issues with a product that is weaker and in no way as 'good' imho as some of the predecessors.

Each to their own and all that though.

Originally posted by therubberducky27:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by therubberducky27:

That sort of post I have nothing against. He has stated that he won't be voting for FM and has also finished the post on a positive note about next year. I have nothing against this sort of poster. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carter makes the same point as me - just with all the bells and whistles attached. It goes without saying ( which is why i didnt say it in the first place) that if SI up their game, and produce a superior product, I would be more than happy to vote for it next year.

However as it stands, I dont think the game deserves the award this year due to persistent bugs (eg the confidence issues, transfer market), and it would only mask the issues with a product that is weaker and in no way as 'good' imho as some of the predecessors.

Each to their own and all that though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, personally I can look past that with the gameplay but I'm me and you are you.

I didn't say that because people don't like the product they can't contribute anything decent.

therefore increasing the number of members it has and also viewing and contributing [b(]well not anything decent but still are)[/b]

What I said was if you don't like the product why post on the forums?

people register here to report bugs, data errors, general feedback, ideas for improvement

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I didn't say that because people don't like the product they can't contribute anything decent.

therefore increasing the number of members it has and also viewing and contributing [b(]well not anything decent but still are)[/b]

What I said was if you don't like the product why post on the forums?

people register here to report bugs, data errors, general feedback, ideas for improvement
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_confused.gif

• SI Staff

turn it upto 11 - it's 21 weeks now icon_smile.gif

Other number 1's since we've been released (FM hasn't been out of the top 3 in the PC chart yet in the UK) have been Call of Duty for a few weeks, and Age of Conan for a few weeks. Probably something else I forget too.

therubberducky27 - you can eagerly await all you want to. If you don't like the game, don't vote for it - if you read my post at the top, I did say "if FM was your favourite PC game of the year...". So if it wasn't, don't vote or vote for what was - simple.

thezogsageordie - what does a Miles look like?

TheRandomGuy - someone liking the game doesn't make them a "brown noser". It makes them someone who enjoys the game - you shouldn't belittle others opinions. We do very much appreciate constructive criticism though, you are correct on that - and I make that point a lot on these forums.

therubberducky27 - there's a huge difference between Gregg's post and your first. One is polite, one is not. Politeness costs nothing, and goes down much better than rudeness. The "bells and whistles" are what makes it constructive, as your follow up post was (in a way).

I would hope that the SI crew doesn't get too caught up in the sales figure as you seem to be doing Miles. Complacency is afterall a dangerous and destructive thing.

Do you really believe you have such high sales figures due to the game being better than FM07 or due to the huge loyal fanbase you have managed to sucessfully accumulate over the years? I would think it's the latter.

• SI Staff

Timster - I don't think celebrating the fact that we've had our 21st week at no.1 in the UK PC chart, making the game joint second highest total weeks at no.1 in said chart, is being complacent. Proud, yes, complacent, no.

According to all the stats and research that has been done this year and in previous years, the "huge loyal fanbase" are responsible for the earlier sales in the games lifecycle. The sales at this stage are due to members of said loyal fanbase who really enjoy the game talking about it to friends, and getting new people buying it.

If it was just the loyal fanbase buying it, the sales would be static every year, rather than climbing, wouldn't they?

I love FM as I loved the previous titles. They have all had one thing in common & I hope it will continue...progression. none of the previous titles have been replicated, with just an update of transfers etc. they have all been different entities; this is why I'm looking forward to fmlive so much because from what has been said it will be a totally different experience icon_smile.gif

Good luck with all the testing in the Beta.

Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

Timster - I don't think celebrating the fact that we've had our 21st week at no.1 in the UK PC chart, making the game joint second highest total weeks at no.1 in said chart, is being complacent. Proud, yes, complacent, no.

According to all the stats and research that has been done this year and in previous years, the "huge loyal fanbase" are responsible for the earlier sales in the games lifecycle. The sales at this stage are due to members of said loyal fanbase who really enjoy the game talking about it to friends , and getting new people buying it.

If it was just the loyal fanbase buying it, the sales would be static every year, rather than climbing, wouldn't they?

Theyve certainly got a lot to talk about.

Cheers for the replies anyway Miles. At least you are showing an interest.

Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

According to all the stats and research that has been done this year and in previous years, the "huge loyal fanbase" are responsible for the earlier sales in the games lifecycle. The sales at this stage are due to members of said loyal fanbase who really enjoy the game talking about it to friends, and getting new people buying it.

I was just commenting on your responses in this thread which have mainly been numbers, numbers and numbers. There is a fine line between being proud and complacent, I'm sure you will know this yourself already.

And to be frank, I don't know one person who has played the previous past titles who said they enjoyed FM08 the most.

You also avoided my question, which I hope illustrates that you and your team weren't happy with Football Manager 2008 because it merely means the next one should be a big step up.

I am being critical not to be an annoying **** but because on a forum where 95% kiss your ass you need to be told the truth. The truth being that FM2008 was poor.

• SI Staff

Timster - you keep missing the words "in my opinion" out of your posts. Those 95%(+) of people you talk about disagree with your opinion. As do lots of people who aren't on these forums and are happily playing the game, and recommending it to others. Insulting them probably won't help you make any friends either.

You are welcome to your opinion, the same way as anyone else is welcome to theirs. But there is no "truth" when it comes to opinon because, well, it's just an opinion.

I like white chocolate. My friend doesn't. Does that make one of us right, and the other wrong, or do we just have different taste? I'd say the latter. Maybe you think the former...

I have answered the only point you have made that had a question mark next to it, so haven't avoided anything at all.

As for a "fine line between being proud and complacent", they are completely different things in the context that you use them and the words I've put here. I have not spoken about the future in any way, just about the past and present. And I'm very proud of everything that SI has achieved over the years, and incredibly proud of FM08's chart performance. If we were complacent, we wouldn't work as hard as we do, wouldn't try and do anything new but we do, every year, and certainly wouldn't be replying to posts like yours, or even our happy customers.

tbf Miles there's been a lot of frustration shown on the forums about FM08 especially with the recurring bugs we see again and again. eg. transfers and I for one have certainly not found myself playing 08 as much as i had 06 and 07. maybe thats due to my exams, but the lack of progress shown towards the bugs that have existed in multiple versions and the need to wait til the inevitable patch to make it (more) playable has certainly affected my enjoyment.

Just thought I’d follow on a bit from what Gregg and Timster said.

Disclaimer: the following post is all in my own opinion so should not be taken as fact.

I think things like sales figures, charts and the Golden Joystick Awards can sometimes paper over the cracks. I’m not necessarily saying 08 is poor (it’s far better than 07, not as good as 06), but there are still some flaws in the game, some small, some biggies. It’s one thing to revel in your success, but another to believe the hype and get complacent. You only have to look at FM as an example where you win the league and are immediately asked about your thoughts for next season. You live in a world where people will always be looking to the future so you need to continuously improve.

I suppose you need to ask yourself whether you want a hugely successful game or a really good one (although there’s no reason you can’t have both). FM is at the stage now where it will always do well regardless of quality. You only have to use Spiderman 3 as an example. Was it successful? Yes. Was it good? No. Will the fourth do even better? Of course it will.

It could just be me, but I find my self continuously waiting for something to come form SI. When the game gets released I’m waiting for a patch, when the patch gets released I’m waiting for the January data update, when that gets released I’m waiting for a final patch and when that gets released I’m waiting for an end of season update, but SI won’t do one so I’m waiting for the next version of FM.

The 8.0.2 update was released on February 14th, leaving only 3 months left of the season before your starting data is out of date. I’ve yet to find an unofficial update as good as one from SI, so I either have to settle for one or wait until the next version.

Of course this wouldn’t be as bad if some of the big problems were fixed with the patches, but usually they’re not, with the patches fixing some of the minor flaws which didn’t really ruin the game.

The transfer system is a mess and was pointed out right from the start. Long-term games are nigh on impossible as you’re restricted to making one galactico signing per season instead of building up a squad. I have no idea who worked on this module, but surely someone should have had a word at some point and mentioned that £20m+ transfers aren’t that common and seeing players valued at £98m is just ridiculous. Unfortunately after having this pointed out at release, the official response is that it will be looked into for 09, which doesn’t help if you want to play 08.

Confidence was pointed out before the game was even released. As soon as the blog came out about confidence my very first question was if it would alter depending on cup draws, so expectations weren’t too high if you drew a ‘big’ team in the early stages. I was told that it would be taken into effect, but they were either misinformed or plain lying, because I frequently draw Man Utd, Chelsea etc. away in the early stages of the FA / League Cup, get knocked out and forever reminded by the board of their disappointment.

Like I said, I pointed that out before the game was even released and it wasn’t fixed in either patch and when the final patch was released someone said it would be looked at for 09. Again, not much help for those playing 08 really is it?

I’ve noticed there’s also the trend of SI popping onto threads and proving users wrong, but not replying when they have a point. There was the complaint about the ANC, where it was immediately (wrongly) pointed out it was an anti-piracy measure and then there was the Christmas Day thread where it was pointed out the experiment was flawed. Fair enough, but then there was at thread on the transfer module which was well over 8 pages before any official replay and that was from Ter, who really wasn’t the ‘right’ person to reply.

Which brings me onto the input form SI. From my time on the forums I notice two members of SI commenting on the game, Ter and Paul C. Ter will talk about the skin and Paul will talk about the match engine. This is really good, but why stop there? Why doesn’t whoever designed the transfer module talk about that? Why doesn’t whoever designed the media module pop in and give feedback? Why doesn’t the guy who programmed regens in come and answer some questions? The much vaunted changes keep getting mentioned as a solution to this, so I guess we’ll just have to wait (and wait and wait) and see.

• SI Staff

Neil - for a start, there are more people at SI directly involved with our games that post on the forums than at any other dev studio that I know of, and certainly of our size. In the last month, 17 of the team have posted on the various forums here, despite us all being incredibly busy at the moment, including both of the co-founders of the company, and the studio director.

But you are correct that not as many people do, percentage wise, as used to. I can't speak for others, but for me (as I've said before on the "These forums" thread), it's because when I do post, people thread hijack (as has happened on this thread a few times now), and bring up the same stuff which has been answered several times before, or post abuse. I don't need that. Most software companies deal with that by not having forums with any interaction with people involved with the games, or just have places to post bugs in a closed environment. That's not how we do things here.

All of the points about the game you have made have been answered before on these forums, and have been answered honestly. You might not like the answers, but they aren't going to change, as the decisions made are what we believed to be the right course of action at the time, and still do now. FM2008 continues, in my opinion, to be the best football management game on the market, superb value for money, and incredibly entertaining. We plan for FM2009 to be even better, as we always strive to raise the bar each year.

If you disagree that FM2008 was the most entertaining and best game that you played on the PC in the last year, then, going back to the original topic point, don't vote for it in the Golden Joystick awards! That's your right, in the same way as it's your right whether to decide to buy the game each year or not.

Perhaps part of the problem is that the answers aren't really visible, unless you know where to look. Perhaps if you hadspecific threads for indiviual features then it will be easier for people to view the official responses. Someone from SI can easily answer a query in one thread, but that doesn't mean someone else with the same query will see it.

You're right in the sense that I don't like some of the answers, becase a lot of the time the answer is the same 'we'll be looking at this for the next game', which has been the case for two of the main problems with 08, namely the confidence system and the transfer module. Sorry if this comes across as arsey, but I didn't buy 08 to beta test a confidence system which will hopefully be functional in 09. I also can't help but wonder what new feature is going to appear in 09 which possibly won't work properly until 2010.

I'd also dispute the honesty bit, because a lot of the time the answer doesn't come until after the final patch has come out and you're looking towards the next game. As I said, transfers and confidence were highlighted immediately upon release, but I didn't see anyone from SI admit that they were unfixable until after 8.02 had been released. Call me cynical, but I get the impression that you knew immediately that confidence couldn't be fixed with a patch, but it wouldn't look good to come out and admit it until you could say it will be sorted for the next version.

I also agree with your opinion that FM is the best football management game on the market. It really is, but it's an extremelly limited market with next to no competition. CM's nowhere near ready enough to compete and I couldn't even name the other alternatives. You only have to look at the FIFA and Pro Evo series to see what happens when one developer thinks they're the best.

I wasn't trying to have a pop at you or anyone at SI, but this seems as good a place as any where I know you are likely to read and reply. Plus I wanted to highlght that you might possibly win the award, but this doesn't necessarily mean the game is as fantastic as made out.

I firmly believe actions speak louder than words, so I appreciate you saying that you know what the problems are and wthey are being sorted for 09, but the proof will be when 09 is released and these have been sorted.

Anyway, enough rambling from me, good luck in the awards.

• SI Staff

Neil - the problem with specific threads is that they get hijacked a lot, so it's a never ending problem. Hopefully later this year, when the new forum terms and conditions have been finalised and we can stop said practise, it might be possible to do so.

As for the limited market, we've been working on football management games for the last 16 years now, and have seen lots of games come and go, many of which were well ahead of our early games at the times those were released and inspired Ov & Paul with the game they originally made whilst at school. That's why the "complacent" word that's been mentioned a few times in this thread is so grating to me, as it's very far from the truth for the history of the studio, and continues to be so - we strive to be not only the best in the genre, but keep getting better too and "raising the bar".

And you are cynical icon_smile.gif Or at least in that part of your post!

I suppose you need to ask yourself whether you want a hugely successful game or a really good one (although there’s no reason you can’t have both). FM is at the stage now where it will always do well regardless of quality. You only have to use Spiderman 3 as an example. Was it successful? Yes. Was it good? No. Will the fourth do even better? Of course it will.

I would say that the aim is obviously to make the best game possible and success will follow. Making a game a success without it being any good is never going to be SIs aim.

To say FM will always do well now regardless of quality is false, in my opinion. With an annual product sales would fall off fairly quickly if new iterations of the game were poor. There are plenty of examples of diminishing returns on sequels, especially in movies since you reference them. Notice plenty of straight to DVD follow ups that are put out to cash in. FM has never been a cash in product and there is no complacency in striving to make the game better and better every year. You may prefer the last game to the current one in whatever year, that's personal choice, but the push is always on to make the game better each year, and for the marketing to make it bigger each year.

Originally posted by Timster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

I was just commenting on your responses in this thread which have mainly been numbers, numbers and numbers. There is a fine line between being proud and complacent, I'm sure you will know this yourself already.

And to be frank, I don't know one person who has played the previous past titles who said they enjoyed FM08 the most.

You also avoided my question, which I hope illustrates that you and your team weren't happy with Football Manager 2008 because it merely means the next one should be a big step up.

I am being critical not to be an annoying **** but because on a forum where 95% kiss your ass you need to be told the truth. The truth being that FM2008 was poor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get a life you **** sucking piece of ****,

Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

Perhaps part of the problem is that the answers aren't really visible, unless you know where to look. Perhaps if you hadspecific threads for indiviual features then it will be easier for people to view the official responses. Someone from SI can easily answer a query in one thread, but that doesn't mean someone else with the same query will see it.

You're right in the sense that I don't like some of the answers, becase a lot of the time the answer is the same 'we'll be looking at this for the next game', which has been the case for two of the main problems with 08, namely the confidence system and the transfer module. Sorry if this comes across as arsey, but I didn't buy 08 to beta test a confidence system which will hopefully be functional in 09. I also can't help but wonder what new feature is going to appear in 09 which possibly won't work properly until 2010.

I'd also dispute the honesty bit, because a lot of the time the answer doesn't come until after the final patch has come out and you're looking towards the next game. As I said, transfers and confidence were highlighted immediately upon release, but I didn't see anyone from SI admit that they were unfixable until after 8.02 had been released. Call me cynical, but I get the impression that you knew immediately that confidence couldn't be fixed with a patch, but it wouldn't look good to come out and admit it until you could say it will be sorted for the next version.

I also agree with your opinion that FM is the best football management game on the market. It really is, but it's an extremelly limited market with next to no competition. CM's nowhere near ready enough to compete and I couldn't even name the other alternatives. You only have to look at the FIFA and Pro Evo series to see what happens when one developer thinks they're the best.

I wasn't trying to have a pop at you or anyone at SI, but this seems as good a place as any where I know you are likely to read and reply. Plus I wanted to highlght that you might possibly win the award, but this doesn't necessarily mean the game is as fantastic as made out.

I firmly believe actions speak louder than words, so I appreciate you saying that you know what the problems are and wthey are being sorted for 09, but the proof will be when 09 is released and these have been sorted.

Anyway, enough rambling from me, good luck in the awards.

\o/

To be fair, the people slash nutters that post on here do generally report that there are issues with the game that need to be improved. They tend to relate to the basic playability - transfers, tactics, etc - rather than the bolt-on features. And, rightly or wrongly, there is a perception that the comments are generally made about these on here get overlooked by SI in the course of producing the next edition.

I've just voted for a couple of games in the awards I've never even heard of. The price of old age. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by birdy123:

Voted for FM being the best PC game. Being the only one I play, there wasn't much competition!

Yh. COD4 took most of the other categories icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif same here .. voted for SI as best manufactuer aswell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It's that time of year again when the nominations for the Golden Joystick awards are announced, and we're very happy to have been nominated this year in the "Best PC Game" category for FM2008 (which is, this week, celebrating it's 20th week at no.1 in the UK PC charts!), and as "Best UK developer".

If FM2008 was your favourite PC game of year, and if you enjoy our games, we'd be delighted if you'd vote for us. You can vote for us, or whoever else you'd like to vote for, at http://www.goldenjoystick.com

Sorry Miles but as a Swede who likes to play with swedish teams this was one of the worst CM/FMs ever. I'm being serious when i tell you that the fact that you failed to fix the swedish issues with the db (hardcoded!) in the two patches that you released (the correct info was available before the game was released btw) just basicly made me not want to play FM.

Now i love your games so i've preordered FM09 but FM08 was not a very good effort from your side i'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived