FM Going Lower Than the BSN/BSS?

Considering very few spectators, there may not be no need for research, possible give them a pre set PA, and possibly make regens just for the sake of havig that team playable... bit of a long shot like....

FMs overriding quality and what has attracted people time and time again is that it has the best database of any football management sim. Putting that research a step backwards just for the sake of a lower league would be pointless.

I'd like to see these leagues as much as anyone, but Si BHA's comments have made me realise the reality is that it just won't work at the moment.

Sacrificing the depth of the database for a little more doesn't keep with the great name that FM has made for itself.

i absolutely love bringing the most obscure team possible up. it's always my main game in FM and i love the challenge. granted there are many people who prefer to play with the big clubs and just run that until they're blue in the face... but there are just as many people who like to play the tiny clubs.

Its nice to see there is a demand, i new it...!

A handful of people on the forum hardly constitutes a demand. I've seen just as many people asking for more leagues in Africa. I've seen just as many people asking for the Highland League in Scotland. I've seen just as many people asking for the Cypriot league. I've seen just as many people asking for leagues from the Middle East.

whats your point? its all in demand, im talking about england as i live here, and someone mentioned 57% of customers are english, that was a pointless post if you dont have anything useful to say dont say it please what you said has already been said thanks :)

This website is a feedback station amongst other things, this is a discussion. They are seperate discussions

How the hell can you miss the point I'm making? You said "it's nice to see there is a demand". My response was demonstrating that a few people posting to say they like the idea of adding your leagues does not constitute demand. I also provided examples of other leagues that people have demanded in at least equal numbers, plenty of whom will have been from the UK. There is my point. Sorry if you can't understand it.

how do SI currently decide what leagues theyre going to add? if they introduced african leagues, would the sales of the game increase in africa?

im guessing its based on hitting the target fanbase, maybe they should include a link on the game each year that takes the user (if they wanted to) to a monthly poll where questions like this could be asked

but basically, the overwhelming majority of people who currently play british lower league management would be in favour of an another tier

i reckon anyway

Yeah thats what i was thinking about highlands! No promotion... pointless...
Oh no, a team from the Highland league will never be in the Champions League, so there can't possibly be any good in adding it :rolleyes: Just because you can't take a team from the Highland league or the East of Scotland league or whatever up into the SPL doesn't make it pointless at all. Personally I'd consider it better and more realistic for me to start at a club in one of these leagues, then success in the league and cup can provide opportunities to move on and get a job at a 'better' club. In older FMs I had all the UK leagues active for this very reason - I'd start off unemployed and usually end up getting an offer to manage a team in the lowest Northern Irish league. I'd take them as far as I could (and wanted), then I'd probably get an offer to manage a side in England or Scotland and could cross the Irish Sea and continue climbing the ladder in a new country. The Northern Irish league is hardly the pinnacle of footballing brilliance, but it can still quite easily provide some form of challenge and obviously provides a stepping stone to leagues/clubs with better reputations, and the same can be said of the Highland league.

That would be fantastic for personal reasons. I have been dying to play as Sheffield FC for many years now, and if the Northern Premier League is added, then Sheffield FC can be promoted into the game ala Dafuge's challenge!! That would be the best!

I have chosen to have a look at Championship Manager 09 this year just because of the added leagues in the English system. I don't know if they have promotion/relegation from these leagues though, I hope so. Playing as Sheffield FC would just be the most awesome FM experience in history.

I can't imagine they'd add the leagues and not put in promotion to the leagues above them.

Why not just use a swap file and put Sheffield in the Blue Square N/S?

Before they add more british leagues they need to add more asian leagues such as the j-league

They can't add the J-League back unless Konami lose the exclusive license.

That would be fantastic for personal reasons. I have been dying to play as Sheffield FC for many years now, and if the Northern Premier League is added, then Sheffield FC can be promoted into the game ala Dafuge's challenge!! That would be the best!

I have chosen to have a look at Championship Manager 09 this year just because of the added leagues in the English system. I don't know if they have promotion/relegation from these leagues though, I hope so. Playing as Sheffield FC would just be the most awesome FM experience in history.

I agree with you on this!

Why not just use a swap file and put Sheffield in the Blue Square N/S?

I have done this in personal games, but if I go into the Dafuge's Challenge with them I wouldn't be accepted because I'm a "cheating database editor" haha. I really want to do Dafuge's challenge with Sheffield FC!

I'm sure that any additional leagues will come with time. After all, it's not long ago SI said they were'nt going to go down the 3D route, yet here we are not that long after, with a 3D match engine.

Maybe. But SI have stated not only that there won't be any new leagues or countries in the forseeable future, but also that they consider the current amount to be sufficient. On a personal level, I'd like the next tier in England to be added, as well as several other nations. But I don't think the demand has been so high that it's going to change SI's minds and make them commit to a pooloads more research any time soon.

Maybe. But SI have stated not only that there won't be any new leagues or countries in the forseeable future, but also that they consider the current amount to be sufficient. On a personal level, I'd like the next tier in England to be added, as well as several other nations. But I don't think the demand has been so high that it's going to change SI's minds and make them commit to a pooloads more research any time soon.

would the research really need to extend much beyond emailing/phoning each club and asking for a squad list of names and details - im sure every club would jump at the chance to provide details to SI if it meant theyd be in football manager

as for players ability, this could just be done to reflect the standings of each team as opposed to meticulously watching players Xs jumping ability or what not

i doubt many people who currently play LLM really watch much of it or would know whether a players stats is realistic or not

What you've just proposed is a Championship Manager level of lower league research. I could be wrong, but I suspect most FM players, especially serious LLMers, would want SI to research things thoroughly. What you're proposing is a half-hearted effort at research in order to add one extra tier in England on the basis of a few people saying they'd quite like it on the forum.

I really don't think that any more leagues need to be added to England. This is because a) other leagues that have a better quality of play should be added first e.g. Egypt, Middle Eastern Leagues and b) my local team is already in the game in the BSN (Vauxhall) but only just

What you've just proposed is a Championship Manager level of lower league research. I could be wrong, but I suspect most FM players, especially serious LLMers, would want SI to research things thoroughly. What you're proposing is a half-hearted effort at research in order to add one extra tier in England on the basis of a few people saying they'd quite like it on the forum.

like i say, i bet the vast majority of people who play LLM do not actually follow it in real life

also, players stats in the games are pretty much based on team reputation - ive read that its done to keep the league table realistic at the end of the season

an average player that plays for a big club in real life (someone like fletcher or bendtner) will always get marked up by SI, where as a good player who plays for a lesser team will always get marked down (shay given off the top of my head)

so i dont think they need to be too prissy about this apparent research

Just because people don't follow it in real life doesn't mean they wouldn't demand a strong, thorough level of research. It wouldn't be hard to find out that SI had cut corners in their research in order to deliver an extra tier of English football, for which a large demand hasn't even been proven.

Football Manager strives to be the most realistic management experience out there. It does not strive to be a game that takes advantage of customers' ignorance of a certain aspects in order to be able to cut corners.

like i say, i bet the vast majority of people who play LLM do not actually follow it in real life

also, players stats in the games are pretty much based on team reputation - ive read that its done to keep the league table realistic at the end of the season

an average player that plays for a big club in real life (someone like fletcher or bendtner) will always get marked up by SI, where as a good player who plays for a lesser team will always get marked down (shay given off the top of my head)

so i dont think they need to be too prissy about this apparent research

It doesn't work like that at all. Back up players at the top four clubs are rated as starters for the relegation battlers iirc, unless they don't deserve such a rating.

Every researcher thinks that they're rating their players realistically. SI very rarely change a player's attributes from what a researcher suggests.

If you dont like the idea thats fine just dont keep knocking everyone elses opinions i guess you dont play lower league management much and would it really hurt you to see a lower tier, would u refuse to buy the game just because of that, because SI "cut-corners" at the 7th or 8th tier of football... if you dont want it anyways why would you care, there is an option to start this game with no real players at all if you didnt notice....

And i agree they should have other countries tiers aswell but thats not this discussion thats not my interest. Someone else can discuss that on another thread.

Keep this discussion calm, thanks :)

Why do people always do this? Somebody disagrees with their opinion, so they start criticising them for knocking it. There's a debate going on. I'm well within my rights to argue with points I don't agree with. I shall continue to do so.

Also, you are not a moderator. It is not for you to tell people to "keep this discussion calm". And anyway, the discussion is perfectly calm.

Mike speaks the truth. While LLMers would love extra leagues, it's not at the expense of realism. SI wouldn't include extra leagues if they aren't fully researched anyway, which is a big reason why their database is better than all their competitors.

You lose your bet. Here are four examples of LLMers who have a level of interest in their local lower league team.

Myself - Newcastle Town

mkus - Weston-super-Mare

iamthequinn - Tiverton Town

iajafer - Haddington Athletic

I could dig out more if I wanted to...

Hmm I have stated I would like the leagues added - but I already buy the game and it would not be a deal breaker.

However I have to say I would expect it to be done correctly - as a Sutton supporter I would be really annoyed if our best player was rated lower than a fringe player.

One problem would be many of the players at this level don't have contracts and move about a bit or even more annoying dual registrations.........

when people say that its only a vocal minority on this forum that is disatisfied with the game, everyone says thats not a wide enough a cross section to form any sort of evaluation

so i hardly think listing four people that follow the lower leagues on this forum is anything like conclusive

if the players stats arent doctored to keep teams finishing where they should do at the end of the season (eg. shay given apparently worse than the likes of almunia and gomes and whats the betting emile heskeys stats rocket up in the next patch now that hes a villa player) then maybe new researchers are required

personally im sympathetic to SI having to alter players stats to make sure the clubs all end up where they should do come the end of the season

so i hardly think listing four people that follow the lower leagues on this forum is anything like conclusive

That was just four people who have an active interest in their local lower league team.

No LLMer would be playing LLM at all if they did not possess some level of interest in the lower leagues.

I would rather like to see Spanish D liga (it's divided to 15 leagues), and Italian Serie D and Russian 2nd(or 3rd), before going down any further in England. Not all of us prefer to play in England as our main careers in FM (i only use it for testing purposes).

Turkish 3rd league would be great to , but that's really asking impossible.

If SI have plans to go below BSN/BSS, I hope they consider adding the United Soccer Leagues. In the informal poll done a while back determining the general population of Football Managers on the forums, the UK won in a landslide, followed by North America, and beat out the likes of Central and Eastern Europe (well the last check in the thread anyways). There are supporters towards soccer in Canada and the US, and relatively bug-free second tier would be nice. SI even has a game specified titled for the market I live in! And I think the USL was in the game before...

I will, of course, respect whatever decision SI take in terms of addition of leagues, or none at all.

I can see a point for it, as even though other countries are under-represented, I'd have thought a lot of FM users would be in Britain and have a reasonable knowledge of the leagues. I like playing from the lowest league and working my way up, but would it not be difficult to arrange Geography-wise.

By this I mean that the botttom three BSS/BSN go down, but say all three were from the midlands, then the teams coming up from the lower leagues would not directly replace those teams going down, which I'd have thought may provide an unnecessary amount of work to accomodate in the game.

The teams changing between the Conference and Conference North/South already have to be allocated Geographically.

I feel that, while it would be a good thing, if researched properly. It would be better to expand some of the other leagues first.

The English leagues, for me anyway, are the least enjoyable leagues to play in. I'd like to see the German leagues come on-board (wishful thinking??) and more depth in Eastern Europe. Also love to see some of the African Leagues included, i.e.- Egypt, Morocco, Nigeria, etc..

BSN/BSS is "Step 2" of the English football non league system. Taking Fm down to Step 3 would constitute another 3 leagues: Ryman Premier League (Isthmanian), British Gas Business Premier League (Southern) and Unibond Premier League (Northern). This is another 66 teams, some of which have FM researchers but mostly that don't.

Following on from si BHA's point, the research would then need to go as far as Step 4. This is a further 6 leagues (Ryman/BGB/Unibond sponsored leagues - 2 from North/South/Isthmanian) which is due next season to include 136 teams. Most of whom will have an average gate struggling to break 3 fugures. Finding researchers for these teams would be problematic at best.

I must admit, as a researcher of one of the teams at Step 3 i would love FM to allow management at that next level down, but realistically its not worth the effort required and i'll have to hope that my team simply get promoted to the BSN for my work to be important to the game instead!

If anyone is interested in the English non-league to this level then this is an excellent site (with which i have no allegance other than i use it to help my research):

http://www.tonykempster.co.uk/

Hope people find this post useful

Shandiar

I want to see the Carlsburg South West Peninsular Division One East and if I don't get get it I am going to uninstall the whole game and take it back to the shop ;)

On a Serious note, I would like to see the Lithuanian A Lyga and perhaps the Highland league. I have never played leagues like Singapore (and am unlikely to either) It would be good to be able to get rid of this league when you install the game and save space on my my already under pressure hard drive.

Archived