Statistics Spreadsheet (For those that love Moneyball)

On 06/08/2022 at 02:55, ta11zx said:

I have read this twice and I still don't understand what this does.

@ta11zx This spreadsheet uses statistics from the game and creates the following statistics (all per 90 minutes):

• Goals 
  • Non-penalty Goals
  • Non-penalty xG
  • Non-penalty goals - Non-penalty xG - this is a measure of how well the player outperforms his xG and is an indicator of quality finishing
  • Shots
  • Shots on Target
  • Shot on Target Ratio
  • Non-penalty Goals per Shot - this is a measure of how often a player scores per shot. A higher value can be a subtle indicator of good finishing
  • Non-penalty xG per Shot - this measures the quality of shot the player takes on average. This can be an indicator of quality movement
  • Dribbles
  • Fouls Won
  • Assists
  • Goal Contributions (Goals + Assists)
  • Pass Attempts
  • Passes Completed
  • Pass Completion Ratio
  • Key Passes - a key pass is the final pass by a teammate which leads to a goal attempt that does not lead to a goal
  • Clear Cut Chances Created
  • Cross Attempts
  • Cross Completion Ratio
  • Defensive Actions - this includes Tackles, Interceptions, Headers Won and Clearances 
  • Tackles Won
  • Interceptions
  • Clearances
  • Headers Attempted/Aerial Duels Contested
  • Headers Won/ Aerial Duels Won
  • Headers Won Ratio
  • Fouls Committed
  • Yellow/Red Cards
  • Offsides
  • Minutes per Game
  • Distance Travelled 

To get a better reflection on how the player compares to players of the same level and same position, I have included percentile ranks. Percentiles range from the 0th to the 100th percentile and they provide a reflection of how a specific value of data compares to a larger pool of data. E.g a player who is in the 97th percentile for Goals/90 is in the top 3% of players in the data set. Effectively, the higher the percentile rank, the better the player is performing.

Edited by Fmplaya

9 hours ago, Yorki said:

Thanks for the inspiration. I didn't know you could export these like this :) 

I did use it for different purpose - for stars calculation: https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/567031-coach-calculatorcomparison/

No problem :). Have checked out your work and it looks great. Will use it in my next save!

• SI Staff

Hi @Fmplaya

Thanks for the shout out! Apologies I only just saw this as I don't use my old account anymore.

Great thread thanks for putting this together. Everyone has their preferences of exactly what spreadsheets to use and how to use them, but the process is mostly always the same. I highly recommend this type of save for people if you haven't given it a try. 

If this type of thing seems too complicated or too difficult to understand but it interests you, always feel free to reach out to people in the community and ask for help if needed. I don't want to speak for Fmplaya, but people generally that put effort into putting these sorts of things together tend to be very willing to help others out if they require it!

3 hours ago, Jack Sarahs said:

Hi @Fmplaya

Thanks for the shout out! Apologies I only just saw this as I don't use my old account anymore.

Great thread thanks for putting this together. Everyone has their preferences of exactly what spreadsheets to use and how to use them, but the process is mostly always the same. I highly recommend this type of save for people if you haven't given it a try. 

If this type of thing seems too complicated or too difficult to understand but it interests you, always feel free to reach out to people in the community and ask for help if needed. I don't want to speak for Fmplaya, but people generally that put effort into putting these sorts of things together tend to be very willing to help others out if they require it!

Hi @Jack Sarahs,

Thanks a lot, I had wondered why you were inactive on your old account and forgot you worked with SI :lol:. I have watched your Moneyball series with Barnsley on YouTube and it is fantastic, especially how you navigate transfers and find players to sign. It has been a massive inspiration and very eye-opening.

Moneyball can be very difficult to understand but people in the community like myself are very willing to help others.

Wow, this is incredible. I want to read more about how to use the stats for transfers and analysing players. But this tool looks very helpful. Just a question, is there a way to have Key Passes not from set pieces?

15 hours ago, bosque said:

Wow, this is incredible. I want to read more about how to use the stats for transfers and analysing players. But this tool looks very helpful. Just a question, is there a way to have Key Passes not from set pieces?

@bosqueThank you very much, very much appreciated.

As far as I am concerned there is no set piece stat in the game apart from penalties, so unfortunately there is no way to have key passes without the set pieces.

To read more on using stats for transfers and player analysis, I could easily recommend watching Tifo Football's sensible transfers videos and the Tifo IRL channel. Also, I would recommend following @Rashidi's Palermo save on YouTube and he also has a thread here where he explains his Moneyball strategies https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/566668-the-art-of-numbers-not-attributes-a-journey-extracting-the-best-out-of-my-players/ , as well as @Jack SarahsBarnsley Save on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCultofFM.

Edited by Fmplaya

• 2 months later...

With the upcoming release of FM23 and the introduction of new statistics in the new game, I have made an update to this spreadsheet. I have attached all the necessary files and the instructions remain the same as the previous version of the spreadsheet. Enjoy! :)

Statistics Profile

1362605219_statprof.thumb.png.872193ab7b11fb28d98930f38a663fb8.png

Player Profile

1537984835_PlayerProfile.thumb.png.483d0e2c8b5adbf7f0de362ea13d236f.png

FMSS Player Search View.fmf FMSS Squad View.fmf FMSS Big 5 Filter.fmf FM23 Statistics Spreadsheet.zip

30 minutes ago, allaneh22 said:
For some reason I'm having the same problem with all spraedsheets.
The names don't appear on the side, even though I pressed CTRL+P correctly

Do you know why this happens?

names.jpg

When you select the players make sure you scroll down and up. That might fix it 

@Fmplaya you might be interested in the post/spreadsheet that @FMStag and I put together on using player data and player comparisons.

https://fmstag.com/player-comparison-visualiser/

It doesn't have the new data yet, but if I was a betting man, I would imagine that Stag would probably have already thought about and maybe even added in the extra data into his player search screen filters/views.

A FM Old Timer

1 hour ago, cmason84 said:

@Fmplaya you might be interested in the post/spreadsheet that @FMStag and I put together on using player data and player comparisons.

https://fmstag.com/player-comparison-visualiser/

It doesn't have the new data yet, but if I was a betting man, I would imagine that Stag would probably have already thought about and maybe even added in the extra data into his player search screen filters/views.

A FM Old Timer

@cmason84 Your spreadsheet looks great! Once the FM23 version is available, I will definitely be having a look.

1 hour ago, Pepsi91 said:

I have a problem with number format in Excel spreadsheet as shown in the image below (Average rating, Goals/90,..). When I change the format, those numbers becom tottally different.

Snímek obrazovky (104).png

Hi @Pepsi91,

What are your FM23 decimal and thousands separator settings?

Before using my spreadsheet:

1) Click File > Options

2) Go to the Advanced tab and uncheck Use system separators

3) You should set the decimal and thousands separator to match with the ones in your FM23 settings 

Let me know if this works

On 07/08/2022 at 13:10, Fmplaya said:

@ta11zx This spreadsheet uses statistics from the game and creates the following statistics (all per 90 minutes):

• Goals 
  • Non-penalty Goals
  • Non-penalty xG
  • Non-penalty goals - Non-penalty xG - this is a measure of how well the player outperforms his xG and is an indicator of quality finishing
  • Shots
  • Shots on Target
  • Shot on Target Ratio
  • Non-penalty Goals per Shot - this is a measure of how often a player scores per shot. A higher value can be a subtle indicator of good finishing
  • Non-penalty xG per Shot - this measures the quality of shot the player takes on average. This can be an indicator of quality movement
  • Dribbles
  • Fouls Won
  • Assists
  • Goal Contributions (Goals + Assists)
  • Pass Attempts
  • Passes Completed
  • Pass Completion Ratio
  • Key Passes - a key pass is the final pass by a teammate which leads to a goal attempt that does not lead to a goal
  • Clear Cut Chances Created
  • Cross Attempts
  • Cross Completion Ratio
  • Defensive Actions - this includes Tackles, Interceptions, Headers Won and Clearances 
  • Tackles Won
  • Interceptions
  • Clearances
  • Headers Attempted/Aerial Duels Contested
  • Headers Won/ Aerial Duels Won
  • Headers Won Ratio
  • Fouls Committed
  • Yellow/Red Cards
  • Offsides
  • Minutes per Game
  • Distance Travelled 

To get a better reflection on how the player compares to players of the same level and same position, I have included percentile ranks. Percentiles range from the 0th to the 100th percentile and they provide a reflection of how a specific value of data compares to a larger pool of data. E.g a player who is in the 97th percentile for Goals/90 is in the top 3% of players in the data set. Effectively, the higher the percentile rank, the better the player is performing.

Do these files work for Fm21?

25 minutes ago, thebuildupplay said:

Great Work! There was only a problem if a player scored 10+ goals, then Goals/90 minutes is not displayed

@thebuildupplay Thanks for the feedback. Can you send a screenshot of your problem as this does not happen to me? Maybe download a fresh copy of the spreadsheet and try it again or you might've had a problem extracting the data.

3 minutes ago, Fmplaya said:

@thebuildupplay Thanks for the feedback. Can you send a screenshot of your problem as this does not happen to me? Maybe download a fresh copy of the spreadsheet and try it again or you might've had a problem extracting the data.

I checked on two tables specifically and on different devices. I assumed it might be a problem with importing data, but no. The result was the same for some reason

image.png.81f47b16e4aa5ba058208bc3f3bc1004.pngimage.png.bbbbfecf5006900367e8a6047d3b4ee9.png

27 minutes ago, thebuildupplay said:

I checked on two tables specifically and on different devices. I assumed it might be a problem with importing data, but no. The result was the same for some reason

image.png.81f47b16e4aa5ba058208bc3f3bc1004.pngimage.png.bbbbfecf5006900367e8a6047d3b4ee9.png

Have you checked the Mins column in the Paste Here Sheet, it could be an issue with commas. If not could you please send me a saved copy of your spreadsheet?

8 minutes ago, Fmplaya said:

Have you checked the Mins column in the Paste Here Sheet, it could be an issue with commas. If not could you please send me a saved copy of your spreadsheet?

I checked it now. The minutes column displays the minutes in the format of 1,200. Without commas, dots, there is a space after thousands

17 minutes ago, thebuildupplay said:

I checked it now. The minutes column displays the minutes in the format of 1,200. Without commas, dots, there is a space after thousands

Does this work now?

3 hours ago, thebuildupplay said:

After I removed the spaces, then it worked. What should be the setting in the formats in the game itself, so as not to get such an error?

I don't think the problem comes from the game itself as it works for me using commas, you might want to check your thousands separator on excel following these instructions:

On 27/10/2022 at 16:43, Fmplaya said:

1) Click File > Options

3) You should set the decimal and thousands separator to match with the ones in your FM23 settings 

Or worst-case scenario you can use the replace function by clicking CTRL+F to remove the commas from the minutes 

9 hours ago, chrisdarwen said:

This is insanely good...

@chrisdarwen Thank you for the feedback!

41 minutes ago, Marinho said:

sorry if i missed it but is there no way to manually choose the leagues? The options are greyed out and can't add any if i delete them. (FM23 Beta)

@Marinho You can manually choose leagues by using the additional conditions and selecting Club Division. I haven't found any problems with the filter, so it should work.

40 minutes ago, Marinho said:

Also, could you or someone else please elaborate on this?

When selecting the players, press on the top player and make sure you manually scroll from the top to the bottom player and scroll back up, then press CTRL+P.

• 1 month later...
On 16/12/2022 at 19:49, canhsatgiaothong said:

Sorry if I missed anything but for some reason my defensive action is black. Do you know the reason? Here is the screenshot and both excel file and html file. 

image.png

FM Statistics Spreadsheet.xlsx 5.76 MB · 1 download lb search 2.0.html 36.69 kB · 1 download

@canhsatgiaothong I have looked at your saved copy of the spreadsheet and it works perfectly fine for me. This could be due to your decimal separator settings or etc. Have a look at this comment I made a while ago, hopefully it works.

On 27/10/2022 at 16:43, Fmplaya said:

Hi @Pepsi91,

What are your FM23 decimal and thousands separator settings?

1) Click File > Options

1 hour ago, Fmplaya said:

@canhsatgiaothong I have looked at your saved copy of the spreadsheet and it works perfectly fine for me. This could be due to your decimal separator settings or etc. Have a look at this comment I made a while ago, hopefully it works.

Can you tell me how you choose for your settings?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, the__mranderson said:

Hey, only just come acorss this, and have started using it on FM23! Do you have a small video to show us how best to use it regardless of the FM?

Thanks again mate

I was just watching episode 1 of a new Moneyball series on YouTube:

FM23 | Moneyball Series | No Attributes | Stats Only | Paris FC | E1 Introduction to Moneyball (you could watch his whole FM22 series with Barnsley if you want the complete picture)

He recommends FM Stag's blog. Here's a page:

Statistics – What does “good” look like in FM23?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello everyone! With my exams now over and more time to spend on FM, I would like to present the latest update to the statistics spreadsheet with the inclusion of goalkeeper statistics. I also apologise for any unanswered queries during my absence, hoping such problems do not occur with the updated version. Feel free to ask any questions and let me know of any suggestions or improvements that can be made to the spreadsheet.

Download file:

FM23 Statistics Spreadsheet (Updated).rar

How to create data visualisations using Tableau

Firstly, I'd like to thank @MattyLewis11 for the inspiration of using data visualisation techniques in Football Manager.

1) Import the players in the spreadsheet following the steps at the top of this thread

You should preferably save a new copy of the spreadsheet, renamed as you wish, with the database of players to avoid potential issues

2) Download and install Tableau or Tableau Public (free version) 

Link for Tableau Public - https://www.tableau.com/products/public/download

Skip this step if you have Tableau already installed

3) Open Tableau and on the left-hand side there should be a heading Connect as shown below

image.png.15e470c33ef959df9b582635f8272be5.png

Select Microsoft Excel

4) Locate the saved copy of the spreadsheet with the collection of players and click Open

You should have a result similar to the picture below

5) Hold the Raw Data Table on the left-hand side and drag and drop it where it says Drag tables here

The result should look like the picture shown below

image.thumb.png.fb9db073605ba51e258963c6ed2cbdcb.png

6) Select Sheet 1 at the bottom of the screen

The result should look like the picture below

image.thumb.png.66ac9e9077ac14251c9accc4be78b454.png

7) Choose two statistics you want to compare under the heading Tables (e.g npG/90 and npxG/90) and drag one each into Columns and Rows at the top of the screen

The result should look like below

image.thumb.png.1bc376c40cd8de8d8025d27b94b7e09f.png

8) Right-click the statistic you have put in Columns and select Dimension

image.thumb.png.e9d19904005c8eb5746596e8ae247a0e.png

Repeat with Rows and you should get a result similar to below

image.thumb.png.f9c986a087ee79655508680518fa9371.png

8) We now have a data visualisation but we can add more data to it to make it more useful. To make it easier to identify players on the visualisation, we want to find Name on the left-hand side under the heading Tables and hold, drag then drop it to Label under the heading Marks. You can also do the same with Age

The end result should look like below

image.thumb.png.8da2a5074e612f337020f79d6db5f65f.png

9) To make it more informative, we can set extra details. For example, this can be Height, Weight, Position etc. Under the heading Tables, select, drag and drop the selected detail on Details under the heading of Marks.

Repeat this with as many details as necessary

When you hover over a specific player the details should show up as shown below

image.thumb.png.b88e3569c630b091e6e1da103e2bd8b7.png

10) Finally we can add average lines to know which players are performing above or below average in their position

At the top left of the screen select Analytics

image.thumb.png.3b8bdabe42a76729a3881c9b2bf86fc5.png 

Then select and drag Average Line and under the heading Summarize

image.thumb.png.b6e7e013395e1d0030659f420a1e3c67.png

Drop the selected Average Line on Table as shown in the picture below

image.thumb.png.403e8e471e011daaa1cf0882f9b68b49.png

The result should look like below

image.thumb.png.e9512e62ad38e625fbb0504b2d256724.png

Now you have your data visualisation!

Do feel free to experiment and mess around with the visualisation and if you have any good ideas that I hadn't mentioned, please do let me know :)

• 2 months later...
On 30/08/2023 at 03:03, jimmysizzurp said:

Have a few stats (Pressures completed, Progressive passes, Crosses etc) intentionally been excluded from the Spreadsheet/Views?

Those stats are included in the FM23 version of the spreadsheet

2 hours ago, milenec11 said:

Clearly a very excellent stats cvs but what about GKs stats ? Why is this role so underestimate?

Unfortunately in the game, there is a lack of goalkeeper statistics. The ones that I have included in the latest version are the only goalkeeper statistics that I found useful for Moneyball purposes