80s Style European Competitions

There is an option to allow the losing cup finalist play in the CWC, but it would need a fix on European nation competition files, so for your file that is a lot of extra work. For the Iron Curtain it will be included if I can work it out.

Hi Appy. Do you happen to have a copy of the 30-year save? I'm interested in playing with your 80s-style European cups, but first I want to check how it affects finances and the competition in different leagues. Do smaller nations get more competitive over time as European money is divided more equitably? Is there variance in the clubs that qualify for each nation?

Thank you!

15 hours ago, TokyoWanderer said:

Hi Appy. Do you happen to have a copy of the 30-year save? I'm interested in playing with your 80s-style European cups, but first I want to check how it affects finances and the competition in different leagues. Do smaller nations get more competitive over time as European money is divided more equitably? Is there variance in the clubs that qualify for each nation?

Thank you!

I would have a copy amongst my million test saves at various stages of this file! First off though, (don't laugh) how do I put the file somewhere for you to download it? I've tried to post a save file before in this forum but it was too large. (I said don't laugh!) 

I just had a quick look at that file. The European Cup is generally being won by PSG and Man City, and Real Madrid. Barca, Liverpool, Juve, and Bayern are occasional winners. There's a bit more variety in the runners up positions, PAOK for example were in 2051. I've provided some screenshots of the finals of all the competitions running.

EC winners.jpg

ECWC winners.jpg

UEFA winners.jpg

SC winners.jpg

FCWC winners up tp 2051.jpg

That last screen is from my Club World Cup file. 

One important thing to note is that this save was only tested using 1 nation, England. So things are bound to become English club heavy. Also, the save I am playing now uses the @Daveincidrealism files, as I believe this will hopefully have more realistic financial results. The test save above did not use his files.

I have an earlier incomplete version that went up to Nov 2087. I tested this using 5 nations. A quick look at the European Cup threw up some surprises. Watford won it in 2065, having been a top 6 Premier League team since 2049. Cittadella won it in 2068! They have been a steady Serie A side since 2047 and won the Scudetto in 2054. They were a top Italian side from 2067 onwards, winning the league several times. There is still alot of PSG in there. Lots of good variety in the Cup Winners Cup, and UEFA Cup. Bayer Leverkusen have been a force in Germany since 2050. Bayern Munich last won the league in 2038. They dropped down to mid table for years and eventually got relegated in 2082! They returned after a season away but remained a mid table team. Interesting stuff I think, however do remember this was a version that still had work to be done on it.

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer

47 minutos atrás, \'Appy \'Ammer disse:

That last screen is from my Club World Cup file. 

One important thing to note is that this save was only tested using 1 nation, England. So things are bound to become English club heavy. Also, the save I am playing now uses the @Daveincidrealism files, as I believe this will hopefully have more realistic financial results. The test save above did not use his files.

I have an earlier incomplete version that went up to Nov 2087. I tested this using 5 nations. A quick look at the European Cup threw up some surprises. Watford won it in 2065, having been a top 6 Premier League team since 2049. Cittadella won it in 2068! They have been a steady Serie A side since 2047 and won the Scudetto in 2054. They were a top Italian side from 2067 onwards, winning the league several times. There is still alot of PSG in there. Lots of good variety in the Cup Winners Cup, and UEFA Cup. Bayer Leverkusen have been a force in Germany since 2050. Bayern Munich last won the league in 2038. They dropped down to mid table for years and eventually got relegated in 2082! They returned after a season away but remained a mid table team. Interesting stuff I think, however do remember this was a version that still had work to be done on it.

and how about Portuguese league and Holland League so what happen to the clubs

it shame that you not gonna to do 90s and 00s European Competitions Style and Fixing the World Cup

1 hour ago, HugoLazgo12 said:

and how about Portuguese league and Holland League so what happen to the clubs

I didn't run Portuguese league in a test. I did for Holland. Screenshots attached. Lots of Ajax. This save was work in progress. Also bear in mind none of these tests were on full detail which can also influence how things go long term.

eredivisie winners 1.jpg

eredivisie winners 2.jpg

eredivisie winners 3.jpg

27 minutos atrás, \'Appy \'Ammer disse:

I didn't run Portuguese league in a test. I did for Holland. Screenshots attached. Lots of Ajax. This save was work in progress. Also bear in mind none of these tests were on full detail which can also influence how things go long term.

eredivisie winners 1.jpg

eredivisie winners 2.jpg

eredivisie winners 3.jpg

Wow Groningen,Willem II,Utrecht,Vitesse became the huge dominace in Eredivisie

so Does Corruption and cheating in this game never exist

I don't know how but I managed to completely overlook the incorrect qualifiers in the first season. Some kind soul on Steam informed me earlier, and I think I have discovered where the problem lies. I am in the process of testing the new file. I have removed the download for the time being and will replace it when it is in good working order. Apologies to those who are using it. I am of the opinion that the competitions are working correctly after the first season. If anyone knows otherwise could you let me know here. Thankyou

18 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I don't know how but I managed to completely overlook the incorrect qualifiers in the first season. Some kind soul on Steam informed me earlier, and I think I have discovered where the problem lies. I am in the process of testing the new file. I have removed the download for the time being and will replace it when it is in good working order. Apologies to those who are using it. I am of the opinion that the competitions are working correctly after the first season. If anyone knows otherwise could you let me know here. Thankyou

I had a look and I cleared the list of registered teams for the European Cup and it seems to have done the trick. (Mightnt do any harm to also clear the registered teams list for the UEFA Cup).

Interestingly, I don't know if you've noticed that Ajax did the league and cup double in 2020/21. PSV finished 2nd in the league, AZ 3rd. Ajax beat Vitesse Arnhem in the Dutch Cup final. The Dutch European reps for 2021/22 are right when I ran a test save and Vitesse are Holland's rep in the 2021/22 CWC as would've traditionally been the case.

Disappointingly, the game seems to be pulling the league runners up in subsequent seasons for the CWC in cases where a league and cup double is won. It would be great to know why it's right in season one!

KUTGW 

I spent a good while last night actually naming the correct entrants and it fixed it. So clearing it sorts it out? That would have saved me some time. I'm in the middle of doing the ECWC, so might just clear them all instead and see what happens. Yes you're right about Ajax, the same happened with Austria. Salzburg did the double. I have physically put LASK in their place as losing finalists. I wonder if the game will still choose them if I clear everything? Having said all this, though, there were no registered teams in the ECWC when I looked and the game was pulling through the wrong teams in the first season, which is why I started to input them all manually.

44 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I spent a good while last night actually naming the correct entrants and it fixed it. So clearing it sorts it out? That would have saved me some time. I'm in the middle of doing the ECWC, so might just clear them all instead and see what happens. Yes you're right about Ajax, the same happened with Austria. Salzburg did the double. I have physically put LASK in their place as losing finalists. I wonder if the game will still choose them if I clear everything? Having said all this, though, there were no registered teams in the ECWC when I looked and the game was pulling through the wrong teams in the first season, which is why I started to input them all manually.

Clearing the registered teams list worked for me. 

I've had a brainwave to sort out the problem in the European Cup when a team does the league and European Cup double. Traditionally, there was no need for UEFA to invite the holders back the following season as the team had already qualified by winning its national top division league. I've tried to enter each national top division in Europe under the qualified teams list- last winner of competition.

But I've now got an error that says Error in Nation Rules- European Champions Cup (2021) and UEFA Cup Winners Cup (2022) have different years set.

Have you ever seen this before?

Once I get this sorted for the European Cup, hopefully, I plan to tackle the CWC in the same manner and tick the runners up back up box under last winner of competition. Is this what you have done to sort put the CWC runners up problem?

39 minutes ago, irish kopite said:

But I've now got an error that says Error in Nation Rules- European Champions Cup (2021) and UEFA Cup Winners Cup (2022) have different years set.

Have you ever seen this before?

I can't recall seeing that error message. I have done your "brainwave" myself before but ended up ditching it! 

I'm having alot of bother with the editor trying to get these registered teams in. It keeps clearing the year dates or crashing. It's driving me potty!

34 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I have been told by those more knowledgeable than me that the ECWC going to the next best league team is hardcoded because that's how the Europa League works with a cup runner up. 

I re-ran your file again, cleared registered teams in European Cup and UEFA Cup. Vitesse representing Holland in CWC, Rapid Vienna, 2nd in Austria league, representing Austria in CWC , not LASC!

There really is no pattern to the editor! It's very very tricky and very very annoying.

The European Cup is running fine on the 2nd test with your file after clearing registered teams. To be clear, I searched for the European Cup again in the database and cleared registered teams from there. 

There were at least half a dozen picking wrong teams. Anyhow I have now manually added the correct teams for the EC and  ECWC. I cleared the UEFA Cup ones. I just loaded up a save and EC, and ECWC doing what I want. I am relieved to see the UEFA Cup has pulled the correct teams. I just spent a while clicking leagues and league tables from last season on wikipedia to check the right teams were being drafted in. That saved me an awful lot of work. So I am running a test to make sure subsequent seasons are ok, and then I'll upload it.

I have updated the file and put the new download in my first post at the top of the page. 

All seems to be working as expected now. Again, if anyone spots anything then please say here. Still can't clear the "ghost qualifiers" from season 2 onwards, but the correct teams are being chosen.

And yes, the editor seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes @irish kopite!

Enjoy.

I have updated the file for 22.3.0.

Any problems please say here. I have done a quick 4 year test and spotted no issues.

** tested for 30 years, competitions work well. I have however removed the link to correct the squad selection rules. I will upload again by the weekend **

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer
Removed download whilst repairing file

@\'Appy \'Ammer I've found the solution to your ghost qualifiers problem, I've tested it already for about 5 seasons and I didn't come across it anymore, I'll post what you need to do later when I'm on my pc. 

Edit:

So pretty much what you need to change is how you get your teams, instead of "Get lowest seeded qualified teams" you use "get qualified teams for comp" and you check "For this year" and "set continental cup".

Do that for each competition except the Super Cup.

Like this:

image.png.f98fc09494cf13383e17bc63779e940d.png

image.png.bc573d10b4b814cf6fc0a4fd01730857.png

As you can see for the 2024-25 season, no ghost qualifiers, neither In the EPL nor Polish nor Cypriot leagues:

image.thumb.png.97ba216043129acfed73f2b28fdba82b.png

Edited by RealSmokePL

I have put my 80s style European competitions 22.3.0 version 2 up for download at the top of the page. Many thanks @RealSmokePL.

I also noticed that I had not set the discipline rules correctly for match bans. I have changed this and tested it. Any players being sent off will now miss the next European match. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Glad you're enjoying it, I know I am so I'll be sticking with my current save on 2.3.0 for the time being. 

But yes, I do plan to upgrade it. It shouldn't be too difficult. 

Do keep an eye on the Russian situation as it is will might be a problem for the 22.4 version and a new save.

Just amended this for personal use - to make all rounds for all comps a 1-legger

Just about to load up a game with all European countries selected w/top league as playable, and holiday

I wanna see if any big Red Star Belgrade type surprises occur :lol:

(P.s. - have you thought about amending the Club World Cup to be smaller, re-run yearly (apart from winter 2022 ofcourse) and include Cup Winners' Cup teams etc. at all?)

5 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Do keep an eye on the Russian situation as it is will might be a problem for the 22.4 version and a new save.

Am I right in saying SI have removed them and Belarus permanently from European qualification? If so, I plan on reworking the competitions to not include them 

2 minutes ago, Rob 396 said:

(P.s. - have you thought about amending the Club World Cup to be smaller, re-run yearly (apart from winter 2022 ofcourse) and include Cup Winners' Cup teams etc. at all?)

No, I'm stuck in the past 😀, the FCWC format is fine as it is... Until fifa start messing with it! 

Just now, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

No, I'm stuck in the past 😀, the FCWC format is fine as it is... Until fifa start messing with it! 

Haha fair enough

What you should do is re-birth the Intercontinental Cup, but to run in non CWC years :lol:

50 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Am I right in saying SI have removed them and Belarus permanently from European qualification? If so, I plan on reworking the competitions to not include them 

Correct. I can't say for sure what will happen if you run the file as is in 22.3 version in a new save. Might be that it crashes, might be that it starts pulling extra teams to make up for the missing Belarussian and Russian teams.

1 hour ago, Rob 396 said:

Just amended this for personal use - to make all rounds for all comps a 1-legger

Just about to load up a game with all European countries selected w/top league as playable, and holiday

image.png.42af6dab95fdf85a054791c715e2af44.png:lol:

21 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Have you beefed up HJK Helsinki? That's quite the unexpected semi final.

Haha nope, holiday only as-is - but their route to the final included wins against KF Teuta, Qairat, and a penalty win vs. Lille, mind you

(Bayern beat them 0-4 in the Semi ..)

Maybe this is the only way to get Malmo type teams to finals again haha

Edited by Rob 396

Yeah in my save a Latvian team got to European cup quarter finals with very favourable early round fixtures. Latvia only has a 7 team league!  I'm lying it's 10 teams. And they lost 11-0 at home to Leicester, and it was infact the Cup Winners Cup :D. My memory is powerful sometimes :D

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer
Lies

3 hours ago, Rob 396 said:

There you go @Rob 396, I'm in my first season and this is the quarter final stage 1st leg. Red Star have one foot in the semi finals , and they had beaten Rangers on penalties in the previous round! Crucial away goals for Man City and Chelsea.

ec quarter finals.jpg

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer