French Overseas Territory Based Team winning the UEFA Champions League

Elsewhere on this forum I was inspired, which stupidly meant my brain had a spark with a save idea... winning the Coupe de France with an overseas team.

This sent me to the UEFA website to see what would happen if they won the cup and it was confirmed that they COULD qualify for European competition. Not only that but they can obviously compete in the CONCACAF Champions League too.

At the minute, my laptop is running a simulation with the 80 best players on the game dumped in French Guiana to see if the game matches with real life. Once this is confirmed, I guess my next save is confirmed.

Unless they fixed it from FM '21...overseas territories of France CAN qualify and participate in the Coupe de France, BUT the game considers players from those territories as "foreign" and they can't play in the actual cup games. So unless the team in French Guiana or Reunion is loaded with French nationality players, the game restricts the team to grayed-out players. I know this because I was doing an experiment with those overseas territories loaded up with wonderkids, and the only players who would qualify to play in the Coupe de France had to have French as a second nationality. I posted it as a bug last year, don't know if it was ever fixed. 

2 hours ago, podunkboy said:

Unless they fixed it from FM '21...overseas territories of France CAN qualify and participate in the Coupe de France, BUT the game considers players from those territories as "foreign" and they can't play in the actual cup games. So unless the team in French Guiana or Reunion is loaded with French nationality players, the game restricts the team to grayed-out players. I know this because I was doing an experiment with those overseas territories loaded up with wonderkids, and the only players who would qualify to play in the Coupe de France had to have French as a second nationality. I posted it as a bug last year, don't know if it was ever fixed. 

Judging by this it shouldn't be an issue in this FM:

image.png.fc8931f7c67e94f475ebd72f979a91bc.png

14 minutes ago, RealSmokePL said:

Judging by this it shouldn't be an issue in this FM:

image.png.fc8931f7c67e94f475ebd72f979a91bc.png

Excellent, apparently they DID fix it. It really wrecked my sign-up experiment, because one of the major intentions was to build up some teams from the territories to make some real noise in the Coupe (and internationally). 

I'd be interested to see how this would work were a French Territory to win the Coupe de France. I kinda feel that something would be programmed like Vaduz from Liechenstein who play in the Swiss League could only qualify for the Europa League via winning the Liechenstien Cup. If they won the Europa League would they get a spot in the CL?

Actually, not sure now if cup winners would only qualify for the Europa Conference League, thus making it possible to climb up into the CL that way. WIn the ECL to qualify for the EL and then win the EL to qualify for the CL

Living in a French oversea territory (Tahiti), the theory is, clubs from one of these territories compete in the french Cup and can compete in UEFA. All of them are non-professional though, a tough challenge. I never thought about testing in with one of my local team. Shame on me. I'm gonna try it, with AS Dragon, of course, the coolest name in world football.

13 hours ago, Mr Tonio said:

Living in a French oversea territory (Tahiti), the theory is, clubs from one of these territories compete in the french Cup and can compete in UEFA. All of them are non-professional though, a tough challenge. I never thought about testing in with one of my local team. Shame on me. I'm gonna try it, with AS Dragon, of course, the coolest name in world football.

nope, sorry, Curepipe Starlight (of Mauritius) is the coolest name in world football (I managed them in a 24-level world league a few years ago). 

10 hours ago, podunkboy said:

nope, sorry, Curepipe Starlight (of Mauritius) is the coolest name in world football (I managed them in a 24-level world league a few years ago). 

Chicken Inn from Zimbabwe say hi

3 hours ago, LokiValfar said:

It is also entirely possible to win the UEFA Champions League with a team based in Africa as there are two teams I believe down in the 4th tier of Spanish football that are actually based on the continent of Africa.

Correct mate, Melila and Cueta are the 2 teams based in Africa that play in the Spanish leagues.

2 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

Correct mate, Melila and Cueta are the 2 teams based in Africa that play in the Spanish leagues.

I did get Melilla up to the 2nd division a few years ago and then I ran out of time when the next FM came out. 

On 29/12/2021 at 05:32, LokiValfar said:

It is also entirely possible to win the UEFA Champions League with a team based in Africa as there are two teams I believe down in the 4th tier of Spanish football that are actually based on the continent of Africa.

Indeed. Ceuta and Mellila, as Spanish enclaves in Morocco. 

On 27/12/2021 at 14:02, albertluque said:

Just posted this and I'm wondering if there's a stupid ideas topic on the forum.

"Stupid ideas topic" sounds like my brain during a normal day 🤭😅😅

• 5 months later...

I was going to try the same idea, but I couldn't find any reliable files.  I had a thought that would add a different layer though.

If some of the French overseas leagues are in the OFC then could they qualify for the Europa League from both UEFA and the Champions League in OFC in the same year?  What would happen if a miracle happened and they won both in the same year?

• 5 weeks later...

As an update to this, I started a new save as a club from Reunion Islands and have had a fair bit of success.  Decided one season to essentially cheat my way to the French Cup to see if we qualified for the Europa League.  Didn't look like we did, but then on checking the French Cup rules in-game, it's specifically stated that Overseas clubs are excluded from qualifying for the UEFA competitions.  Which is a bit baws.

2 hours ago, forameuss said:

As an update to this, I started a new save as a club from Reunion Islands and have had a fair bit of success.  Decided one season to essentially cheat my way to the French Cup to see if we qualified for the Europa League.  Didn't look like we did, but then on checking the French Cup rules in-game, it's specifically stated that Overseas clubs are excluded from qualifying for the UEFA competitions.  Which is a bit baws.

Well, when I was doing my Reunion sign-up experiment, I went into the pre-game editor and set Reunion as FIFA member, because otherwise the country won't qualify for the World Cup or the African Cup of Nations. You might be able to set them as a UEFA member, too. 

1 minute ago, podunkboy said:

Well, when I was doing my Reunion sign-up experiment, I went into the pre-game editor and set Reunion as FIFA member, because otherwise the country won't qualify for the World Cup or the African Cup of Nations. You might be able to set them as a UEFA member, too. 

You need to make some changes to the editor in order for it to allow you to edit continents, but yes, you could. Then you wouldn't need to do well in the French Cup though since you'd be able to qualify via the league itself and earn coefficient points/more qualification places just like any other European league.

Ideally you'd have them be a hybrid member of both Africa (like they currently are) and Europe.  If you remove Africa you lose the ability to qualify for the African continental competitions, which would make the early period of the game really, really tedious.  It would take a long time to build up to being able to win the French Cup, and in those seasons you'd probably be destroying everyone domestically, so you'd have pretty much nothing to do.

As it is, you can play in the African Confederations Cup and the Champions League, then have to make do with PSG being the final boss in the Cup.

Edited by forameuss