[FM22] Arsenal F.C. - Trusting the process?

RogerC

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Well done. It's game-changing. Once you understand how your decisions are effecting individual mentality well enough you'll be able to play such a range of systems, the game basically becomes about squad building.

The striker typically as an individual mentality slightly above the team mentality if he is played with an Attack duty, or slightly below with a Support duty.

I don't necessarily have a problem with having a striker with a Balanced mentality - although I'd prefer Positive - but I try to avoid players being overly Cautious or Very Attacking.

This means that the type of Striker you have really dictates your team set up:

1. If you want to play a Support striker then you need a team mentality of Positive or above in order to give him a Balanced individual mentality
    • If you play an Attack duty striker on a Positive or above team mentality, the individual mentality jumps to Very Attacking.
    • If you play a Support duty striker in a Balanced or lower team mentality, individual mentality becomes Cautious.
  2. If you want to play a spearhead-type striker with an Attack duty, you balance this playing a Balanced team mentality or lower

Personally, I find most success avoiding individual mentality extremes. I find Very Attacking players play kamakazi football and blow out my system. Cautious players are too.. cautious.

The catch 22 is that in a Positive (or above) team mentality most Attack duty players have a Very Attacking mentality; hence why I mostly end up with teams full of players on Support.

Combinations such as the False 9 and Shadow Striker I loved so much in earlier versions are now a trade-off:

• In a Balanced team mentality the Shadow Striker has an Attacking individual mentality but the False 9 is Cautious; becoming a little bit toothless.
  • In a Positive team mentality the False 9 has a Balanced mentality but now the Shadow Striker is Very Attacking; playing kamakazi football.

Maybe there's a way around it, but I haven't spotted it yet. You can also just play with a Cautious or Very Attacking mentality and maybe you'll never notice, I'm not sure. Unfortunately this is one of the limitations in the Tactics Creator, for a number of years now.

so how would you pair a false 9 in a 442 in terms of role. Obviously the false 9 drops deep, so logically you would use a spearhead attacker, but this would lead to kamakazi football based on very attacking individual mentality  such as advance forward and likewise roles, especially on attacking team  mentality

45 minutes ago, MBJ96 said:

How can I see my players’ individual mentality? Can’t seem to find it.

go into edit instructions on the player and its on the top bar, if you chang the role you can see the mentality changes sometimes 

11 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Well done. It's game-changing. Once you understand how your decisions are effecting individual mentality well enough you'll be able to play such a range of systems, the game basically becomes about squad building.

The striker typically as an individual mentality slightly above the team mentality if he is played with an Attack duty, or slightly below with a Support duty.

I don't necessarily have a problem with having a striker with a Balanced mentality - although I'd prefer Positive - but I try to avoid players being overly Cautious or Very Attacking.

1. If you want to play a Support striker then you need a team mentality of Positive or above in order to give him a Balanced individual mentality
    • If you play an Attack duty striker on a Positive or above team mentality, the individual mentality jumps to Very Attacking.
    • If you play a Support duty striker in a Balanced or lower team mentality, individual mentality becomes Cautious.
  2. If you want to play a spearhead-type striker with an Attack duty, you balance this playing a Balanced team mentality or lower

Personally, I find most success avoiding individual mentality extremes. I find Very Attacking players play kamakazi football and blow out my system. Cautious players are too.. cautious.

The catch 22 is that in a Positive (or above) team mentality most Attack duty players have a Very Attacking mentality; hence why I mostly end up with teams full of players on Support.

Combinations such as the False 9 and Shadow Striker I loved so much in earlier versions are now a trade-off:

• In a Balanced team mentality the Shadow Striker has an Attacking individual mentality but the False 9 is Cautious; becoming a little bit toothless.
  • In a Positive team mentality the False 9 has a Balanced mentality but now the Shadow Striker is Very Attacking; playing kamakazi football.

Maybe there's a way around it, but I haven't spotted it yet. You can also just play with a Cautious or Very Attacking mentality and maybe you'll never notice, I'm not sure. Unfortunately this is one of the limitations in the Tactics Creator, for a number of years now.

Testing this with my Arsenal Save as of this moment. Unless I'm mistaken I have Martinelli SS and Odegaard F9 on a balanced Team mentality, both have Attacking individual mentality? 

12 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Long time lurker around these parts, this is brilliant as ever. Just having a bit of a muck around with the 4231 set up mentioned above. One thing that's throwing me- even with the support duty I'm getting the inverted winger on the right showing a Very Attacking mentality, and the full back behind with Positive, which seems massively out of whack?

5 hours ago, Jumbinho said:

Long time lurker around these parts, this is brilliant as ever. Just having a bit of a muck around with the 4231 set up mentioned above. One thing that's throwing me- even with the support duty I'm getting the inverted winger on the right showing a Very Attacking mentality, and the full back behind with Positive, which seems massively out of whack?

Hey, I am a big fan of your Caixa thread. I'm desperately trying to recreate your 2-1-7 in attack on FM22 (the one with double mezzalas). But to no result:(

22 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Apologies, I appear to have inadvertently hijacked the Arsenal thread :lol:  let's maybe move any further tactical discussion to relevant threads in the Tactics forum :thup:

23 hours ago, Br3nB said:

Amazing insights as always!

As you say, in terms of a cohesive team its probably wise to steer clear of Cautious/Very Attacking, unless of course you want to build a very methodical structured way of attacking through certain players and encouraging others to not take risk.

I think the way you play and also the way modern football is heading is more of a collective team effort (players having balanced-attacking mentalities) rather than a real split of cautious-very attacking throughout the team.

Yes, precisely. I'd even say it's already gone in that direction. If you look at Guardiola's Man City, Klopp's Liverpool, Tuchel's Chelsea, Nagelsmann's Bayern etc etc etc they're all playing this way. Arteta's Arsenal are making massive strides in this direction. PSG and Man Utd look like relative dinosaurs.

22 hours ago, Cam NBH said:

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal!

thanks for all of your great posts.

If the UI is broken/bugged how can I check my full backs and inverted wingers are on same individual mentality please?

Yes, there's a UI error with individual mentalities in the attacking strata. My only solution right now is to use FM2021 to check when I'm building a new system. Ridiculous really.

1 hour ago, Azariiix said:

Hey, I am a big fan of your Caixa thread. I'm desperately trying to recreate your 2-1-7 in attack on FM22 (the one with double mezzalas). But to no result:(

Start with a 3-2-5 or 2-3-5. As I said in the Caixa thread 2-1-7 is a very extreme system. It only worked as we were so dominant over other sides.

1 hour ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Apologies, I appear to have inadvertently hijacked the Arsenal thread :lol:  let's maybe move any further tactical discussion to relevant threads in the Tactics forum :thup:

Yes, precisely. I'd even say it's already gone in that direction. If you look at Guardiola's Man City, Klopp's Liverpool, Tuchel's Chelsea, Nagelsmann's Bayern etc etc etc they're all playing this way. Arteta's Arsenal are making massive strides in this direction. PSG and Man Utd look like relative dinosaurs.

Yes, there's a UI error with individual mentalities in the attacking strata. My only solution right now is to use FM2021 to check when I'm building a new system. Ridiculous really.

Start with a 3-2-5 or 2-3-5. As I said in the Caixa thread 2-1-7 is a very extreme system. It only worked as we were so dominant over other sides.

Thanks matey much appreciated

On 05/12/2021 at 07:36, Br3nB said:

without wanting to hijack this thread. how do you chase a game with a set up as rigid as this? is it a matter of abandoning principles to some degree and maybe flicking the IF to attack?

i've tried set ups like this before and when it works it is exceptional but in between i just find too many sterile draws with ineffective possession.

11 hours ago, alittletoojack said:

without wanting to hijack this thread. how do you chase a game with a set up as rigid as this? is it a matter of abandoning principles to some degree and maybe flicking the IF to attack?

i've tried set ups like this before and when it works it is exceptional but in between i just find too many sterile draws with ineffective possession.

Good question, but I would actually argue that it's not rigid at all; it's just attacking collectively, rather than as a few individuals.

We actually outscored everybody in the league.

image.png.e5cb5b602531774cbecb53f16fc83ba9.png

Only picking up too many draws away from home and ridiculous levels of consistency from Manchester City and Liverpool stopped us winning the league.

The entire system is built around maintaining relentless pressure on the opposition.

image.png.e4bb9c41900f48a4c25b98cfaf18552d.png

We do this by pressing aggressively as a team and playing an expansive possession game, attacking in a 3-2-5 shape.

image.png.03bfe34d410b5de79bb65d45a5c1dec2.png

In a system which is already Attacking, an Attack duty player would compound to be an extremely attacking - in my opinion kamikaze player - making him less likely to press with the rest of the team and to start trying to attack as an individual rather than as a team.

Look at how often we get our attacking players on the ball in comparison to a world class side like Liverpool, with a world class player like Mbappe (2nd season).

image.png.d03217754bb461a1dc4ac206f4c3ee2b.png

Despite not being at their level individually, collectively we are able to get our young attacking players on the ball twice as much; giving them plenty of opportunity to do some damage. Even if they don't have the individual quality of the Mbappes, Ronaldos or Haalands of the world.

We're a young squad. At the start of 2nd season, the average age is 21. Guardiola leaves at the end of the season and many of Manchester City and Liverpool's stars are hitting 30+. In a couple of seasons, we're going to blow everything apart.

Edited by Ö-zil to the Arsenal!

2 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Good question, but I would actually argue that it's not rigid at all; it's just attacking collectively, rather than as a few individuals.

We actually outscored everybody in the league.

image.png.e5cb5b602531774cbecb53f16fc83ba9.png

Only picking up too many draws away from home and ridiculous levels of consistency from Manchester City and Liverpool stopped us winning the league.

The entire system is built around maintaining relentless pressure on the opposition.

image.png.e4bb9c41900f48a4c25b98cfaf18552d.png

We do this by pressing aggressively as a team and playing an expansive possession game, attacking in a 3-2-5 shape.

image.png.03bfe34d410b5de79bb65d45a5c1dec2.png

In a system which is already Attacking, an Attack duty player would compound to be an extremely attacking - in my opinion kamikaze player - making him less likely to press with the rest of the team and to start trying to attack as an individual rather than as a team.

Look at how often we get our attacking players on the ball in comparison to a world class side like Liverpool, with a world class player like Mbappe (2nd season).

image.png.d03217754bb461a1dc4ac206f4c3ee2b.png

Despite not being at their level individually, collectively we are able to get our young attacking players on the ball twice as much; giving them plenty of opportunity to do some damage. Even if they don't have the individual quality of the Mbappes, Ronaldos or Haalands of the world.

We're a young squad. At the start of 2nd season, the average age is 21. Guardiola leaves at the end of the season and many of Manchester City and Liverpool's stars are hitting 30+. In a couple of seasons, we're going to blow everything apart.

Sorry just a quick question. Is there anyway to replicate this type of football in a deeper formation such a as 442 or  4411. I just get stale draws or struggle to create when using attacking mentality and lots of support duties.

Edited by _mxrky

Welcome back @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!,

Been a massive fan of your work for a little while

I've been trying to create a tactic similar to yours in possession (3-2-5) but have been achieving some mixed results. I often run into issues against high pressing teams and against better opposition (though this maybe due to the less than ideal squad Arsenal have in the first year). Was just curious if you play a more direct, passive against bigger teams or does your tactic largely stay the same? Also, considering your emphasis on individual mentalities, do you tend to move away from Attacking in harder games (I often design my tactics without taking into account individual mentalities, but it's something I'd like to learn more about)

Edited by ap766

I didn't think I'd be busy in January, but Inter came in for Odegaard with an offer I couldn't refuse, especially since I could pick up Szoboszlai for just over half what I got for Odegaard.

671a5af918.png

And on deadline day, City came in with interest for White, who has been disappointing for me. So I picked up a cheap backup in Pongracic, since Gabriel and Ibanez are a great starting partnership.

Evening all,

I am a usual annual visitor to this thread and game but a late arrival this year. 

I cannot tell you how pleased I am to @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!in the Arsenal thread! I am fast approaching the end of the first season at Arsenal and might just sneak Champions League football which would really help my grand plans in the summer!

Thanks for all the information @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! - massively appreciated and you do an excellent job of explaining quite complicated ideas very simply!

I have (slightly shamelessly) copied @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! tactic as a bit of a base to get me through the end of the first season. It's been a massive eye opener for me. I had always thought you needed to do incredibly intricate and detailed tactics to create possession heavy systems but I see how much more important it is now to keep the team compact and use simpler and more sensible instructions.

Exhibit A (the xG is a little closer than the match was - a couple of chances from corners for them and a quite low familiarity with the system - but look at that possession):

20211214220152_1.thumb.jpg.28d33d1e95e1a6ddbcd35c63a1b5f07f.jpg

Edited by BrickCommo23

2023/24

A very good season!

bdc1d1199e.png

e6f5d5d87f.png

Martinelli really stepped up to make up for a disappointing season for Vlahovic(another multiple month injury for him, two in two seasons now).

I may not have scored the 117 goals United did, or the 98 goals that City did, but I only gave up 23 and that will get you lots of wins.

Now that I've won the Champions League as well as the Premier League(twice), it's time to start bringing through all the youth. Patino is ready to be a starter, Luka Romero(bought for 7.5M from Lazio) is also ready to play regularly. And I'm sure there are a few more I'll see when I do my squad review in the summer.

23 hours ago, hasdgfas said:

2023/24

A very good season!

bdc1d1199e.png

e6f5d5d87f.png

Martinelli really stepped up to make up for a disappointing season for Vlahovic(another multiple month injury for him, two in two seasons now).

I may not have scored the 117 goals United did, or the 98 goals that City did, but I only gave up 23 and that will get you lots of wins.

Now that I've won the Champions League as well as the Premier League(twice), it's time to start bringing through all the youth. Patino is ready to be a starter, Luka Romero(bought for 7.5M from Lazio) is also ready to play regularly. And I'm sure there are a few more I'll see when I do my squad review in the summer.

Congrats dude. Great effort.

I missed out on Vlahovic to Liverpool (which will make them absolutely ridiculous in season 2) but given his injuries for you I don't feel too bad about it now.

I'm weighing up one of Calvert-Lewin, Osimhen or someone else to play DLP(s) or be very brave and go with Martinelli and Auba.

Got the lad Musiala in though which is rather exciting.. 

6 hours ago, BrickCommo23 said:

I missed out on Vlahovic to Liverpool (which will make them absolutely ridiculous in season 2) but given his injuries for you I don't feel too bad about it now.

He scores bucketloads even with the injuries. 28 last season, 27 this season, even with 2+ month long injuries in each season, but it's really about having someone with pace and work rate.

Hello all, loving reading all about your seasons :thup: 

I only just finished my first season - finished 3rd which I was chuffed with, Man U & Liverpool were quite far ahead. 

Signed Wout Weghorst & Morten Thorsby in January (disabled first window transfers) and neither spectacular but they fit my system so well and really propelled the second half of the season. Both highly recommended, very solid & reliable. 

@Kraake what's the reasoning for playing Partey ahead of Odegaard if you don't mind me asking?

As you're playing with both ball playing defenders and wing backs who are encouraged to overlap, I wouldn't feel comfortable setting my formation up like this without someone more defensively-minded sitting in front of them.

Plus you're playing with a higher defensive line, high counter press and counter attack which may be a factor in your defence being all over the place, particular if you get caught with too many players further forward or in the opposition's half.

2 hours ago, SirCular said:

what's the reasoning for playing Partey ahead of Odegaard if you don't mind me asking?
 - the result of swaping tactics from a 4-2-3-1 to take the screenshot :lol:

Plus you're playing with a higher defensive line, high counter press and counter attack which may be a factor in your defence being all over the place, particular if you get caught with too many players further forward or in the opposition's half.

we're not letting in too many goals, actually. But the wingbacks defensive positioning are really weird, even in established defence

On 13/12/2021 at 01:11, ap766 said:

Welcome back @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!,

Been a massive fan of your work for a little while

I've been trying to create a tactic similar to yours in possession (3-2-5) but have been achieving some mixed results. I often run into issues against high pressing teams and against better opposition (though this maybe due to the less than ideal squad Arsenal have in the first year). Was just curious if you play a more direct, passive against bigger teams or does your tactic largely stay the same? Also, considering your emphasis on individual mentalities, do you tend to move away from Attacking in harder games (I often design my tactics without taking into account individual mentalities, but it's something I'd like to learn more about)

Ah, interesting. Personally, I have struggled more with breaking down sides defending deeper. Our build up play with Ramsdale, White, Gabriel, Tomiyasu and Partey has gone through most opposition presses with ease; up to and including Liverpool. Maybe have a look at where your build-up is breaking down and attempt to address it.

Are you playing FM2022? You say 'less than ideal' squad, but - to me, at least - Arsenal have a great squad (particularly including the young players) to achieve Champions League qualification. In fact, I don't think it's far off competing for the title if you manage to get a good bit of form going.

I am happy to play either Attacking or Positive team mentality. It's a marginal decision but I prefer Attacking in general. I don't really change too much for bigger sides, to be honest. I do manage the squad quite carefully to make sure my best team is fit and ready for the big games though.

Certainly look at individual mentalities. It's the single best piece of advice I could possibly give for understanding Football Manager tactics :thup:

On 17/12/2021 at 14:55, Kraake said:

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! what does your 4-3-3 look like?

This is second season. Most of the team have come on a lot; Martinelli, Balogun and Lokonga in particular have come a long way.

image.png.8473bcfa6b2164da2671b99a3ad94f23.png

Edited by Ö-zil to the Arsenal!

12 saat önce, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Ah, interesting. Personally, I have struggled more with breaking down sides defending deeper. Our build up play with Ramsdale, White, Gabriel, Tomiyasu and Partey has gone through most opposition presses with ease; up to and including Liverpool. Maybe have a look at where your build-up is breaking down and attempt to address it.

Are you playing FM2022? You say 'less than ideal' squad, but - to me, at least - Arsenal have a great squad (particularly including the young players) to achieve Champions League qualification. In fact, I don't think it's far off competing for the title if you manage to get a good bit of form going.

I am happy to play either Attacking or Positive team mentality. It's a marginal decision but I prefer Attacking in general. I don't really change too much for bigger sides, to be honest. I do manage the squad quite carefully to make sure my best team is fit and ready for the big games though.

Certainly look at individual mentalities. It's the single best piece of advice I could possibly give for understanding Football Manager tactics :thup:

This is second season. Most of the team have come on a lot; Martinelli, Balogun and Lokonga in particular have come a long way.

Can you share the PIs?

18 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Interesting to see, thank you. How does ESR go as B2B? 

On 02/12/2021 at 16:14, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Sit narrower, hold position and cut inside with the ball. The reason I go with FB(S) over FB(D) is that FB(S) is nice and compact with Saka as IW(S) in defence as they're both a Positive mentality. FB(D) would create a gap between them.

This may have changed on FM22 with the UI issues, but I've had success on FM20 with a setup where I used a full back on FBd with Sit Narrower, a winger on IWs with Get Further Forward and Stay Wider and a MEZs. That was with a Positive team mentality and crucially, the Underlap turned on, which meant the FBd and IWs both had a Balanced mentality and the MEZs was on Positive. It helped create some lovely positional play patterns, with Pep-style movement on the flanks (think Walker/KDB/Mahrez).

Apologies for the slightly off-topic hijack, but always good to see you posting on here.

Edited by Mike_Cardinal

On 18/12/2021 at 18:03, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

just wanted to ask do you get good goal output from the front 3?

A quieter summer transfer window than any of my previous:

936196a53d.png

Netz is my replacement for Tavares, who threw a tantrum after he wanted to be an Important Player on 150k/week, No thanks, screw off to Newcastle please.

Airton is a backup for the entire backline if they need it, after Saliba left because he's just not cutting it, sadly.

Balogun just wasn't getting much game time, wasn't performing with the time he was getting, and with a year left on his contract I felt it was time to get rid of him. Oh well.

On 18/12/2021 at 18:03, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

I've also had a go at the 4339(DM) but I assume a combination of the development work you've done plus any other tactical tweaks means it is working much better for you than it is me - so I have reverted back to the 4231. It doesn't make the 3-1-6 (from other thread) but we are breaking 1,000 passes in pre-season friendlies. We are fragile versus balls over the top to strikers though

Hi fellow gooners.

First time posting here and I really need to vent after a traumatic few seasons playing as Arsenal on FM22. I have implemented a few self-imposed rules to make the gameplay more challenging and are as follows:

- No signings in the first season.

- Thereafter, all new players must be of UK and Irish first nationality (no Reyna's or Musialas etc).

That's it. I have done this, as after my first playthrough as Arsenal, with a few signings and decent squad management we had conquered home and Europe within a couple of seasons. 

With my new rules in place, things are both more challenging and for me, more engaging.

Season 2021-2022.

League: 3rd

FA Cup: 3rd round

Carabao Cup: SF

Europe: N/A

I went full Arteta emulation, freezing out Aubameyang, rarely using Pepe and relying on a 4411 with the double pivot of Xhaka and Partey in the middle:

20211222031756_1.jpg.8f71ae0b134a22768fa021b4fedc664a.jpg

We did extremely well to finish 3rd, aided for the most part by some terrible form from Man City and Chelsea whom sacked Guardioal and Tuchel mid-way through the first season!!!

20211222032005_1.jpg.e85b3c338fedf4ae734f0292aed3e8a8.jpg

As would be hoped from the Arteta doctrine to-date, we were very tight at the back with the double pivot  in CM providing strong support to the back four and GK. We put in a good show in the Caraboa Cup, losing to Man City in the semi's whilst we suffered the ignomy of a third round FA Cup exit. Still Champions League football was booked in for next season.

Season 2022 - 2023:

League: 2nd

FA Cup: SF

Carabao Cup: Winner!

Champions League: Runners - up.

With the younger gunners developing well, I decided to become a little more adventurous going forwards, bolstered with the energy and dynamism of new signings Jude Bellingham for 84 million and Declan Rice for 47.5 million. IMHO, this is where Arteta should be spending the money IRL, Partey gives the ball away far too often under pressure and Xhaka is a one man Flaky machine. The back five and the attacking unit are pretty promising, something which I tapped into this season and lent to a more aggressive approach.

20211222033435_1.jpg.4e2ebeb4acefee8370df18a3fae1a8aa.jpg

We did well, but with a heavy fixture list stacking up at the end of the season, we fell away in the league to a dominant Liverpool and got battered by them 2 - 0 in the Champions League final.

20211222033838_1.jpg.f714bb5d512b09495471b884991c6caa.jpg

However, we did pick up our first trophy with a Carabao Cup win on penalties against Leicester.

Season 2023 - 2024:

I really thought we could push on and win a major trophy. With loads of money in the bank I sought to improve the existing talent by slurping up the best of the British talent out there. This however, is not as easy as it seems. The reality of the situation meant that there were only ten or eleven players that could really improve my team and they were all deeply entrenched at the other big English clubs. With 300 million in the transfer kitty, over the close season I tried and failed (player either not interested or resigned a new contract at their current club after I offered a contract) to sign Sancho, Grealish, Curtis Jones, Mason Mount, Mason Greenwood, Harry Maguire and Harvey Elliot. It was becoming abundantly clear that the only British talent I would be getting would be those that were either unhappy or not at one of the top clubs. 

Fortunately, Reece James at Chelsea was such a player, upset at a lack of Champions League football, i managed to grab him for 75 million. This was added to with the signings of promising left back Luke Thomas from Leicester for 20 million, both footed winger Jack Harrison form Leeds for 14 Million, mercurial Loftus Cheek from Chelsea for a meagre 13 million and one that really proved an asset: Fikayo Tomori, brought back to England from  AC Milan for 40 million. Whilst these acquisitions were not really upgrades on existing players, they did help strengthen a squad that was thin on paper and prone to poor performances when the fixture list stacked up. 

My plan for the upcoming season was to watch Smith Rowe andSake rip apart the league on the wings, with Martinelli now to be deployed as my starting forward. This, is where the heartbreak kicks in!!! I set up in a high pressing 4411 DM with more agressive roles in the middle:

20211222040103_1.jpg.fa01856d75dff3c039d19b831b71b3ec.jpg

We were phenomenal, with Saka winning the English player of the year award, Martinelli banging in the goals and Odegaard orchestrating and linking up play in the middle of the park.

20211222040416_1.jpg.9471c99724ca8ce159cfddd7e274e0b1.jpg

Why then, did we not win a single thing??? Bloody Man UTD!!!

20211222040324_1.jpg.346efb8b61acf2b0acd3eab4a8b4fc4e.jpg

It is a bitter bill to swallow and the main reason why I am posting now. On the final day of the season we are away to Crystal Palace and Man U are away to Spurs. If Man U lose or draw and we win, the title is ours. After 80 mins we are 2 - 0 up and Man U are 1 - 0 down - looks amazing. At full time Man Utd have won 2-1 thanks to two near post headers from corners for sledge head Harry Maguire.

So, after a record breaking season where we recorded Arsenal's higher ever points total, we have not a jot of silverware to show for it. Knocked out in the SF of the CL to Bayern thanks to two errors from my GK, Beaten on penalties by Liverpool in the Carabao Cup 3rd round, dumped out of the FA cup 3-2 by Chelsea in the 5th round and beaten to the title by a Man Utd team (they are fielding an almost identical team as that IRL)  that IRL cannot buy 3 wins in a row. 

Arrrrgggghhhhh.

New plan: ruin Man Utd by trying to rip Mason Greenwood and Jadon Sancho out of the club.

Reality: Neither of them will come because they have just won the league and Man U's reputation is still superior to ours.

New plan B: Stick with the young guns whom are still developing, safe in knowledge that Man U's CB's are both the wrong side of 30 and Liverpool's best attackers are also the wrong side of thirty,

RANT over.

Fired up a new save last night. After spending an hour choosing what team to pick, I decided to start as Arsenal.

I always choose to play with 1st transfer window disabled so I'll play the 1st season with the default squad. Quite a lot of players out on loan, but I think they will all be sold anyway at the end of the season. The squad is quite ok and for the 1st season the goal will be top4 fight with Europa league spot also fine result.

I decided to go with 4-2-3-1 and switch it to 4-3-3 for certain games. 

Future transfer policy will be signing UK born players whenever possible but if the required quality won't be available then go and get a foreign player.

The starting line up for the moment in my plan is:

GK -Ramsdale

DR - Maitland Niles

DC - White

DC - Gabriel

DL - Tierney

MC - Partey

MC - Xhaka

AMR - Odegaard

AMC - Smith Rowe

AML - Saka

FC - Aubameyang

Transfer priorities for next year will be positions at right back (target: Aarons), centre mid (target:Rice or Phillips) and striker (target: Kane,Calvert Lewin or Mbappe).

Just finished first season with Bellingham only transfer in.  

4-2-3-1 gegenpress with Odegaard monumental as AM(A). 

Won the league with 92pts on last day of season when united could only draw. I should have won it in game 37 but from 3-0 against United they scored 3 in final 10 minutes to salvage a draw and go into final match day top on goal difference. 

Fortunately Southampton kept them to 0-0 even with 10 men so I won by 2pts!

Just signed Haaland ready for season 2 as PEA had annoyed me with his constant whinging. 

16 hours ago, toshimitzou1 said:

Hi fellow gooners.

First time posting here and I really need to vent after a traumatic few seasons playing as Arsenal on FM22. I have implemented a few self-imposed rules to make the gameplay more challenging and are as follows:

- No signings in the first season.

- Thereafter, all new players must be of UK and Irish first nationality (no Reyna's or Musialas etc).

That's it. I have done this, as after my first playthrough as Arsenal, with a few signings and decent squad management we had conquered home and Europe within a couple of seasons. 

With my new rules in place, things are both more challenging and for me, more engaging.

Season 2021-2022.

League: 3rd

FA Cup: 3rd round

Carabao Cup: SF

Europe: N/A

I went full Arteta emulation, freezing out Aubameyang, rarely using Pepe and relying on a 4411 with the double pivot of Xhaka and Partey in the middle:

20211222031756_1.jpg.8f71ae0b134a22768fa021b4fedc664a.jpg

We did extremely well to finish 3rd, aided for the most part by some terrible form from Man City and Chelsea whom sacked Guardioal and Tuchel mid-way through the first season!!!

20211222032005_1.jpg.e85b3c338fedf4ae734f0292aed3e8a8.jpg

As would be hoped from the Arteta doctrine to-date, we were very tight at the back with the double pivot  in CM providing strong support to the back four and GK. We put in a good show in the Caraboa Cup, losing to Man City in the semi's whilst we suffered the ignomy of a third round FA Cup exit. Still Champions League football was booked in for next season.

Season 2022 - 2023:

League: 2nd

FA Cup: SF

Carabao Cup: Winner!

Champions League: Runners - up.

With the younger gunners developing well, I decided to become a little more adventurous going forwards, bolstered with the energy and dynamism of new signings Jude Bellingham for 84 million and Declan Rice for 47.5 million. IMHO, this is where Arteta should be spending the money IRL, Partey gives the ball away far too often under pressure and Xhaka is a one man Flaky machine. The back five and the attacking unit are pretty promising, something which I tapped into this season and lent to a more aggressive approach.

20211222033435_1.jpg.4e2ebeb4acefee8370df18a3fae1a8aa.jpg

We did well, but with a heavy fixture list stacking up at the end of the season, we fell away in the league to a dominant Liverpool and got battered by them 2 - 0 in the Champions League final.

20211222033838_1.jpg.f714bb5d512b09495471b884991c6caa.jpg

However, we did pick up our first trophy with a Carabao Cup win on penalties against Leicester.

Season 2023 - 2024:

I really thought we could push on and win a major trophy. With loads of money in the bank I sought to improve the existing talent by slurping up the best of the British talent out there. This however, is not as easy as it seems. The reality of the situation meant that there were only ten or eleven players that could really improve my team and they were all deeply entrenched at the other big English clubs. With 300 million in the transfer kitty, over the close season I tried and failed (player either not interested or resigned a new contract at their current club after I offered a contract) to sign Sancho, Grealish, Curtis Jones, Mason Mount, Mason Greenwood, Harry Maguire and Harvey Elliot. It was becoming abundantly clear that the only British talent I would be getting would be those that were either unhappy or not at one of the top clubs. 

Fortunately, Reece James at Chelsea was such a player, upset at a lack of Champions League football, i managed to grab him for 75 million. This was added to with the signings of promising left back Luke Thomas from Leicester for 20 million, both footed winger Jack Harrison form Leeds for 14 Million, mercurial Loftus Cheek from Chelsea for a meagre 13 million and one that really proved an asset: Fikayo Tomori, brought back to England from  AC Milan for 40 million. Whilst these acquisitions were not really upgrades on existing players, they did help strengthen a squad that was thin on paper and prone to poor performances when the fixture list stacked up. 

My plan for the upcoming season was to watch Smith Rowe andSake rip apart the league on the wings, with Martinelli now to be deployed as my starting forward. This, is where the heartbreak kicks in!!! I set up in a high pressing 4411 DM with more agressive roles in the middle:

20211222040103_1.jpg.fa01856d75dff3c039d19b831b71b3ec.jpg

We were phenomenal, with Saka winning the English player of the year award, Martinelli banging in the goals and Odegaard orchestrating and linking up play in the middle of the park.

20211222040416_1.jpg.9471c99724ca8ce159cfddd7e274e0b1.jpg

Why then, did we not win a single thing??? Bloody Man UTD!!!

20211222040324_1.jpg.346efb8b61acf2b0acd3eab4a8b4fc4e.jpg

It is a bitter bill to swallow and the main reason why I am posting now. On the final day of the season we are away to Crystal Palace and Man U are away to Spurs. If Man U lose or draw and we win, the title is ours. After 80 mins we are 2 - 0 up and Man U are 1 - 0 down - looks amazing. At full time Man Utd have won 2-1 thanks to two near post headers from corners for sledge head Harry Maguire.

So, after a record breaking season where we recorded Arsenal's higher ever points total, we have not a jot of silverware to show for it. Knocked out in the SF of the CL to Bayern thanks to two errors from my GK, Beaten on penalties by Liverpool in the Carabao Cup 3rd round, dumped out of the FA cup 3-2 by Chelsea in the 5th round and beaten to the title by a Man Utd team (they are fielding an almost identical team as that IRL)  that IRL cannot buy 3 wins in a row. 

Arrrrgggghhhhh.

New plan: ruin Man Utd by trying to rip Mason Greenwood and Jadon Sancho out of the club.

Reality: Neither of them will come because they have just won the league and Man U's reputation is still superior to ours.

New plan B: Stick with the young guns whom are still developing, safe in knowledge that Man U's CB's are both the wrong side of 30 and Liverpool's best attackers are also the wrong side of thirty,

RANT over.

Unlucky dude but nice squad and enjoyable write up! Good luck for season 4!

16 hours ago, toshimitzou1 said:

I am still livid! Thanks though.

Solskjaer lasted until 2035 in my save 

2 league titles, 2 community shields, 2 champions leagues back to back and a europa league win

Hope he falls away quicker in your save :D  Liverpool are my problem team due to them signing Haaland and Bayern poach my best players with lots of money

9 minutes ago, Carmi88 said:

Solskjaer lasted until 2035 in my save

Yeah, Greenwood and Rashford are blitzing it for him atm.

11 minutes ago, Carmi88 said:

Liverpool are my problem team due to them signing Haaland

Man City have signed him and are looking dangerous for next season. I wouldn't be surprised if we struggled for top 2 next year. 

13 minutes ago, Carmi88 said:

Bayern poach my best players with lots of money

I have staved off approaches for now. 

Thanks for the support.

13 minutes ago, toshimitzou1 said:

Man City have signed him and are looking dangerous for next season. I wouldn't be surprised if we struggled for top 2 next year. 

I signed Moukoko from Dortmund for his release clause of 95m  and he just felt like a cheat player, but he outperformed Haaland which was very satisfying. 

Flogged him to Bayern and just signed a transfer listed 37 year old Mbappe who is still ridiculously good for his age, but i've a prime young English regen from my academy waiting to take his place :cool:

10 minutes ago, Carmi88 said:

he just felt like a cheat player

Yeah, on my first playthrough it was far too easy which is why I have imposed a few rules this time round. It is certainly more challenging.

11 minutes ago, Carmi88 said:

37 year old Mbappe

Lol. Can't see that IRL - he's no CR7 or Messi.