Wallace v Roberts 2009

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest roberto922

I've just gone up to the 25th to take a look at the youth players etc. so I'll give a quick update.

End of season 2008/09 news

Tim Poole has been announced fans player of the year.

We will start the season against: Dorchester (Home); Hampton & Richmond (Away) and Sutton Utd (Home)

Best Eleven 08/09

Our best youth player by a mile is James Standen, I'll play him a few times and hopefully he'll develop into a good talent.

Guest roberto922

I just knew I'd get into this tonight :/ anyway, I've just got all excited \o/ look at this lad I've made an offer for, he wants £120 p/w. Richard Crowe I've offered him more because there bigger clubs sniffing around him and I really wanna get him.

EDIT: We got him :cool: screenshot with next update

Good solid first season Paul. Good luck to Canvey!! with the next one...a few signings and a cheeky playoff spot would be great.

I'll sort out the order of play when I have a chance, probably sometime next week now. Don't think it'll cause too many problems in the meantime.

Paul. Excellent season:thup:. Do you regret our cup successes though or was the added income much needed.

John Sayer doesn't look like much of a footballer but his physical attributes are admirable. What more do you need from someone who is tasked with stopping others from playing.

I wouldn't have signed Stefan Jones as his position rating is less than 10 so food for thought that he preformed so well.

Phil Russell looks pretty carp if I'm honest but he performed well and interestingly it was his assists that impressed me despite the fact that he was our top scorer. Much of his success I would put down to decent if unspectacular physical ability and good determination and workrate.

I've been looking forward to seeing Karl Nash as I could tell from your updates that you had a bit of a soft spot for him. A poor stamina rating might mean that he is more suited to featuring from the bench, and a poor workrate and appalling finishing and composure stats suggest that he might be more suited to not featuring at all:D. Still, a more than decent first season.

Rob. Looks like you have done really well actually after a hard slog of a season. All you had to do was avoid relegation and that is looking likely at the moment so well done.

With regards to the comment that someone made about playing without a SC, I played much of my Mosside FM08 game, (Gundo challenge) using a 41410 formation with a back 4, a DM, a flat mid 4 and an AMC. My wingers and my GK's usually top-scored. Haven't tried with FM09 yet.

ps. What is "doing a Gundo?":D

Jimbo : The money from the Cup success wasn't needed, but it certainly didn't do us any harm. I was surprised at the amount of times Karl Nash scored to be honest as apart from decent physical stats he was pretty poor, including a finishing stat of just 2!

canvey!!: Will put the game up this afternoon

April and May

Braintree 2-1 Hampton & Richmond

Won this even game with a late goal.

Bromley 0-1 Braintree

Won with another late goal from Furness.

Braintree 1-2 Havant & Waterlooville

Beaten in a match which they dominated.

Braintree 1-1 Newport Co

Scored early but then they equalised.

Basingstoke 1-2 Braintree

Great result after coming back from behind.

Hayes & Yeading 1-1 Braintree

Not bad result after equalising in an even game.

Braintree 1-2 Maidenhead

They deserved to win but trhey are a decent side.

League Table

Squad

TEN TON SAVE GAME - LINK

posted this about an hour ago in Nep's Youth Project thread :D

Thanks. I'm afraid that there's a bit of a problem in that a huge piece of work has sprung up on me tonight, but I have just discovered that Friday is completely free for me, so I don't think I'll lose much time at all.

End Of Season Report

League - 15th

FA Cup - 2nd Qual. Rnd (Vauxhall)

Conference League Cup - S 1st Rnd (Thurrock)

FA Trophy - 1st Rnd (Aveley)

Well, we picked up a bit of momentum at the end of the season after a decent start and a horific middle period. We never got anywhere in the cups, only passing through one round in all three of them. Although we were a bit too close to relegation for my liking I am glad that we have stayed up and hopefully we can build upon that in the next season.

I bleieve we need pretty much a complete clearout of players, although it is obviously up to the opinion of the next manager. I would watch out for Lee Furness though he's a devil in the box (see his average rating ;)).

We are in £54.01K debt so we will need ot try an d make a big profit next season and hopefully the next manager can turn it around.

And finally, good luck to Roberto. Sorry about the length of this but I think that you will know where to improve on next season and good luck.

I've downloaded the Ten Ton save game and am in the middle of writing my first impressions. These will probably be posted on Sunday, when I can get a good start on the season.

Can I name one of the youth people (or even the best of them) something like James Canvey?

Guest roberto922

August Update

Braintree 0 - 1 Dorchester

Not really surprised we lost this tbh, I was still sorting the team out and the season started before I had the chance to sort it.

Hampton & Richmond 2 - 3 Braintree

Good to have my first win, it was a close match but we came out the winners.

Braintree 3 - 0 Sutton Utd

La, la, la I'm not listening :(

Hayes & Yeading 2 - 0 Braintree

Bad result but I've nearly got the right back and left mid I've been chasing so hopefully they can tighten up the defense and bring in a few assists respectively.

Braintree 1 - 0 St Albans

Finally a win! the right back I signed seems to have helped no ends and with that problem area sorted I've just got the left mid to sort out, a loanee should be with us by the next game.

September Update

Braintree 1 - 1 Eastleigh: Conference League Cup South 1st Round

We ended up winning on penalties 4-3 it was really close game and could have gone either way so I'm more than happy with the result

Eastleigh 0 - 0 Braintree

Decent result, nothing special.

Braintree 1 - 0 Newport County

A much needed win pushes us up 4 places in the table

Braintree 2 - 3 Thurrock

Unfortunate result, deserved at least a point

Braintree 3 - 2 Kendal: FA Cup 2nd Qual. Round

Happy just to get a win tbh, Crowe has scored 3 in 2 after failing to score in all the other games so certainly happy that he seems to be hitting form now.

Braintree 1 - 1 Tiverton

I spoke too soon :/

League Position: 13th

I'l do more in depth in the next update but I'm knackered so off to bed.

I've downloaded the Ten Ton save game and am in the middle of writing my first impressions. These will probably be posted on Sunday, when I can get a good start on the season.

Can I name one of the youth people (or even the best of them) something like James Canvey?

Looking forward to it canvey!!

i don't see why not. i think it's mentioned in the opening post if i remember correctly.....

By the way, I only just realised how boring this long piece of monochrome text looks. Enjoy!

First Impressions (May 2009)

Goalkeepers

Obviously Stefan Jones (on loan from Darlington) is our strongest keeper, but he won’t be staying (unless I reloan him). We have Trevor Russell as a back-up, who’s under contract until 2010. I’m going to try and get rid of him, for free if necessary, and that then allows me to bring in a better permanent goalkeeper as well as having one on loan.

Targets:

Find a loan replacement for Stefan Jones, or re-loan Jones

Sell Trevor Russell

Bring in a goalkeeper better than Russell who can act as a back-up to a loanee ‘keeper

Defenders

We have way too much cover at right-back here. Jon Sayer in the primary right-back, with Iain Porter not far behind. Rene France and Adam Blackwell are unlikely to be staying. I’m going to need more centre-back cover, and possibly an extra left-back. Stephen Stokes *Youth* is obviously the main choice for the middle, but Tony Buchanan is the second centre-back, and there is the ineffectual Paul Storer behind him. I’d much rather have Tony Buchanan as the back-up to another centre-back that I will need to import. Alternatively, I wouldn’t mind getting rid of Buchanan and having a D LC as a back-up. Graeme Pepper *Youth* is the current left-back, and there needs to be more cover there. The D LC sounds like a good option to kill two birds with one stone.

Targets:

Shift some deadwood at right-back

Replace Paul Storer (and maybe Tony Buchanan) with a new centre-back

Bring in a new D LC to cover Graeme Pepper and the new centre-back

Midfielders

Ryan Clements, the winger, is the strongest midfielder, and he’s a sure stay. Sam Brunskill, Danny Macauley and possible André McLeod will also be staying. That leaves the midfield line full: although short of a bit of cover on the left and in the middle. The others are pretty much expendable, except for possibly James Jones, who has a knack for scoring despite his low-rated ability/potential. He’s an AM LC.

Targets:

Get rid of dead wood (Currently Adam Blackwell, Tony Jervis (Player/Ass Man) and Darren Hamilton/Kieron Martin (Both youth – not sure if I’m allowed to sell them?)

Possibly bring in another back-up, depending on how things go

Attackers

Karl Nash *Youth* is obviously the best of the bunch, but Phil Russell has surpassed him with goals. Ryan Clements can double up as a striker, but he’ll be taking a wing position. That leaves Joe Wilson and Mark Hutton who aren’t great and I will probably try to shell them out and bring in another backup, a better one. I may keep one of Wilson/Hutton (which would be Wilson), and bring in a backup.

Targets:

Get rid of Joe Wilson and or Mark Hutton

Bring in a striker as a back-up, or a loan striker as a prolific goalscorer

Reserves

The Reserve team is filled mostly with Youth Players, with no ability but a bit of potential between them. Four of them have ‘the potential to become a decent player’ but I don’t see any of them getting any first-team games this season (apart from maybe to advertise them), so if I’m allowed to sell those marked *Youth*, I will.

Targets:

Pretty much clean out the whole squad

Under 18s

Oh. Seems like there’s nothing to see here.

Staff

There’s Tony Jervis, the Player/Assistant Manager, who has a couple of not-awful statistics but isn’t great, even for this level. If I can, I’ll replace him (if he’s willing to go). The fitness coach is under contract until 2012 so there’s no point trying to do anything about him. He’s not half bad anyway. The physio is awful and under contract ‘til 2013, which is horrible! I may bring in another and let the current one stay (Thoughts? – the compensation is £6k). There are two scouts (which I cleverly nicknamed), Will JPA10 JPP16, who will be staying (contract runs out this year), and David JPA7 JPP10 who I’ll try and get a replacement for.

Targets:

Replace Tony Jervis (although unlikely)

Put out an advert and get a new coach, plus a goalkeeping coach if possible

Perhaps get a new physio, if the wage demands aren’t too tough

Renew Will’s contract, lose Dave and get a better scout in

Training

When I can find them, I will dig out some training schedules I created myself for my FM08 career game.

Tactic

I will probably be using a 4-4-2 Base, which I will tweak according to the scout’s opposition report. I warn you, I’ve not yet tactically settled into FM09, and everything seems to have changed (the old ways don’t work as well).

The next update will probably come at the League Reset date, with news of youngsters and transfers so far. Until then, I welcome your comments and thoughts.

you can sell the *Youth* players canvey!!, and you can take the *Youth* out of their name if you like. I only put them in there so I could tell which players had started in the U18 team. Buy/Sell whoever you like canvey!!, makes no odds to me, it's the winning that counts. Agree with a lot of your 'aims' this season, and hopefully you have a good season :thup:

The Ticker Tape Reel

Transfer News, as it happens

- 2.6.9 Bryan Scott *Youth* signs for Stalybridge

- 3.6.9 Ian McManus comes in on trial (he isn’t very good)

- 6.6.9 Rene France signs for Kendal

- 7.6.9 Mark Hutton signs for FC United

- 9.6.9 Ian McManus’s trial period ends (he wasn’t very good)

The Season Reset Date

Jon Sayer has been voted Player of the Year.

This season I’ve set my target as a top-half finish, mainly because that’s the lowest option the board are offering me and the next one up is promotion, which is a bit of a tall order. This means a transfer budget of £14k and an inflated wage budget of £1.3k p/w.

We have some good talent coming into the youth team this year. First there’s Eric Moss, sorry, James Canvey, who is a left-back, and has the potential to be a key member of the first-team squad. Joe Woodley, central midfielder, has the potential to be a quality player. Joe Carter, attacking right-winger, could be decent, but poor old Scott Pook doesn’t look like a keeper at all. Maybe that’s because he’s another attacking right-winger! (Ooh a joke! No, really, Pook looks rubbish). I’ve not entered a team into the Youth League this year, so they’ll be playing in the reserves when they’re not in first team action.

By the way, James Canvey looks like the ideal defence back-up/player (will probably be rotating due to his age), and Joe Woodley eliminates any further need for a midfield back-up. Tick!

It’s also been revealed that captain Danny Macauley dislikes assistant-manager Tony Jervis. Hopefully one of them will be going (probably Jervis).

Guest roberto922

Right, powered through to January after a bit of a marathon but I'm really not enjoying it, should I upload it for someone else to carry on or continue it myself? I'm happy to just continue as just a softies supporter as I realise that 0 out of 3 is a pretty crap record and I've done terrible so far this seson :(

I ask again? Is ability to scout the only rule when it comes to signing players?

Not been around much recently - sorry. Basically need to be able to scout them or take them on trial. You don't need to have found them through your scouts, (again without wishing to start a debate on it it's the one aspect of llm guidelines I think they've taken unneccesarily far).

Oh, and best of luck with the rest of the season.

Talking of which, I still don't have much time to sort out the famous 'list'. I think we roughly know the order so hopefully it's not causing too many issues. Apologies again.

Right, powered through to January after a bit of a marathon but I'm really not enjoying it, should I upload it for someone else to carry on or continue it myself? I'm happy to just continue as just a softies supporter as I realise that 0 out of 3 is a pretty crap record and I've done terrible so far this seson :(

No!!! You can't quit. Doing rubbish is all part of the fun, and quite refreshing to see from you Softies ;)

There doesn't seem to have been quite as many posts as there was in the last days of the previous thread - guess everyone is busy with other stuff and not got into this one yet. Certainly helps people taking part when there's a few encouraging posts though.

Guest roberto922

Yeah but I'm not enjoying it at all as a whole, I was doing well the first time I gave it up but I just wasn't enjoying it, I think its the fact that I kinda feel under pressure to finish it, I've been busy with other stuff too over the last few days and have no chance of finishing before the 10 days are up

Archived